Playland Park

wayne

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Old Racing Photo

Although this photo is not related to Texas, we thought it was interesting enough to include in the Playland Park thread as it represents the 50's style racing in that era.

Look at those old silk racing jackets, crew haircuts and dress attire of the 50's.

It does however resemble the looks of Playland Park in it's days and gives our readers a glimpse of Retro Racing

Furthermore, the kid you see on the side and gazing upon the winner actually did race in Texas at TWS and maybe other tracks.

You are looking at Gordon Johncock in his youth who probably was inspired by the winner to pursue his own destiny.

Photo courtesy of Jakdad.

These old photos are interesting indeed and look back to the 50's

Galesburg Speedway - September, 1956

post-8338-1234180799.jpg

• 1 month later...
That is interesting and maybe why subjects of the Wade fatality is not discussed..even today in detail.

It is hard to believe but very possible on the other hand..

Research and developement for improving tires especially between the two major tire companies was in full force, competing to be the official racing tire for NASCAR.

BILLY WADE

That is true about them running over nail strips, or something of that nature, during the Billy Wade tire test @ Daytona. In early 2008 The History Channel had a short segment about it. When it came on I yelled out! My wife and son came running to the living room to see what's happening. I stuttered out that this was the test that Billy Wade died doing. They mention a couple of drivers names and the final outcome of that test. But nothing about Billy! It's has to be one of racings biggest cover-ups ever!

• 1 month later...

Looking at the #1 Modified pictures, the picture of Buddy Rackley at speed, I believe is the later picture. There appears to be some roof damage/repaired on the later picture. Isn't that the same car that was possibly driven by Tim Cates' very, very distant cousin "Rapid Rex" Cates and was involved in a crash and ended up over the wall at Playland Spdwy/Houston front straightaway?

post-3-1240289716.jpg

The white coupe with the black nose, next to the fence, was #52, belonged to and was driven by my dad, Gene Lyle. I remember dragging it to the racetrack on a tow bar,many a weekend.

Ran at Playland Park & down at Baytown in the early 50's

FathersSon,

Thanks for the input as we are all trying to put the puzzel back together after all the years.

We want to recognize as many people as possible from those old days of racing!

Thanks for dropping by and information is appreciated.

4PROP,

I seem to recall a reddish haired pit crewmember that worked with Billy Wade. I also saw and spoke to him on occasion in about '66/'67 in SE Houston when he stopped by a Texaco Station where I worked. Possibly he lived in the area then known as S Park. Does that ring any bell?

It sorta rings, but not very loud. Give me a couple days to try and locate an old photo I recall taken in the pit area of Playland. This individual may be on it and it might have names on back.

Something else you got me to thinking about; Tony built the Lacy cars but I don't recall him ever working the pits for Billy. I may be completely off on that! (In normal situations, it would seem a little awkward wrenching against your own son. Then again, when has "normal" ever applied to Foyt racing?!)

My question of the day; "Did Tony work the pit crew for Billy?"

4PROP,

I can't put a time specific memory of AJ Foyt racing Modifieds at Playland Spdwy or N Houston Spdwy, aside from videos available now. So I can't answer your question about Tony Foyt, but maybe someone closer to the early/mid 50s racing scene will be able to. I didn't attend any Roadster Modifed events at Meyer Spdwy in '60 when Billy drove the #2 Car that was, as I understand, also built by Tony, so I don't know about that either. But, by then AJ was full time on the USAC Championship Car Circuit.

I am interested in the history of those old Modifieds, and I would like to know if the orange #53 Modified driven by Billy in '59/'60 was also a Lacy owned car. Also, how many different red #53 Modifieds were raced by Billy, and owned by Archie Lacy during the '50s? I know in '57, I saw one that was raced by another driver with the 3 changed to an 8 for a race or two before being painted white and #56 for a team race, and then raced as #6

• 3 weeks later...

Cecil Elliot

Well, thought it would be cool if we could find some old photos of Playland Park with Cecil Elliott.

As a kid and a tot I was always thrilled to watch Cecil when he would let off the exhaust to enter the turns as the flames would blow out the exhaust of his old modified stocker.

What was so intreresting about his car is the exhaust came out the rear trunk lid up high on the tail section. I guess as a kid, it was fascinating to watch.

So, with that in mind.. Cecil would become another favorite driver at Playland.

Jim,

Since you have plenty of time on your hands these days, maybe you could go downtown to the Houston Public Library.

I understand they have thousands of photos on Micro Film relating to Playland and Meyerland that can be obtained.

It's a pity that many old photos have disappeared for reasons as being thrown away, lost or damaged by flood, fire etc.

Anyway, sounded like a good project for you.. :lol: :lol:

You find them, I'll edit and post..Deal?

Jim,

Somewhere among the posts is a #1 Car Modified/Super Modifed pictured at a Big 10 (?) Tire Store with a date from '58, and beside the car appears to be Norman Pierce and another gentleman I didn't recognize. It appears to be the same car pictured with Buddy Rackley id'd as the driver. As I recall, Buddy Rackley drove the Cates/Frank's Ice House #1 Car beginning possibly in mid '59, and through the '60 and last season for racing at Playland Spdwy/Houston. As I recall, the "announced driver" in early '59 was Tim Cates, although M J Burton may have driven the car some as a "relief driver". After about mid season '59 and through '60, M J Burton drove the #58 Car that had been in storage after it was driven in prior years by Buddy Rackley.

NormanPeircesmall.jpg

Sept. 5, 1959 a really sad day at Playland Park

img266.jpg

What's left of Blackie Lothringer's coupe after it tore through the fence. It came to rest 70 feet from where it left the track. The crash came during qualifying before the Lone Star 300 lapper.

img265.jpg

What may be the body of Sam Slusky being put on a stretcher.

Mark,

As so many others, my brother and myself along with some friends had been right there less than 10 minutes before the accident. As I'm sure you know, that was the main entrance to both sides of the grandstands. Also, the car had been called by the announcer, Tater Pete Hunter, the "Surrey Without The Fringe On Top". But, if you note, the "Fringe" had been added before that Labor Day Weekend event. That's the way I remember it.

Archived