A.D. Trowell Old Devils Bowl Speedway

edirt

Thank You!!! Great video! Real racing! They looked very much like the modifieds we ran at Playland.

They didn't have a yellow for debris on the track, or a competition yellow or even a green, white, checker finish.

Soupup Magazine looks pretty interesting, lots of great historical and retro photos. I noticed page 10 has a photo of a Ray Rawdon at the Fair Park Speedway. Probably related to ex-racer Bo Rawdon, the owner of Cowtown speedway?

the pictures and song appears to be from around the mid fifties, earlier around 50 or51 the Trowell brothers were both racing at the old Devils bowl and they were both good and they drove Chevrolet 6 cyl before the V8's came out. Jim McElreath and Shady McWortter started about this time from that area

Junior

Thanks for posting those, edirt.

Both of those tracks are before my time, but my Father and Grandfather spent a lot of time at both the Fairgrounds track and the Old Devil's Bowl. He has fond memories of the Wednesday night Midget races at the fairgrounds, and he really liked watching Jud Larson in the Elton Chester Offy.

I sent him your link, and he about fell over looking at the pics.

Thanks again, and you also have a neat web magazine there. Lots of neat cars on it.

Tom

Car59Jiggs.jpg

Jiggs Trowell in a rough spot at the old Bowl.

By the way, the music is new. We just added some sound to the video!

There was no sound in those days!

Tom did he watch the video? This is never seen before racing

footage from the late 50's. It was taken by A.D.'s wife!

A.D. was driving the model A 6 cylinder powered number 4.

I will try and post more material. i have a ton of it!

Hope you enjoy it!

Don

Edirt

number4.jpg

Closeup of the car in the video. A.D. won his share of trophies plus eight championships.

Don, I sent him both links. I will see him in the morning, but there is no doubt he liked it.

It has been mentioned earlier in this history section, but my Grandfather was close friends with some Indy movers and shakers, but also two Texas promoters named Fred Lockwood and Babe Stapp. They promoted the AAA races at the Arlington Downs Track.

Neat to see pics of Rawdon, I have known Bo for about 25 years, from my days of living in Ft Worth.

Thanks again for posting, and keep it coming!

Archived