Texana Raceway Park results 719/08

Stories later........Bike Giveaway Night @ Texana Raceway Park, 7/19/08

By J M Hallas

Edna, Tx., (July 19th, 2008) A full night of racing at Texana Raceway Park's I/4 black gumbo track with all six regular classes in competition, featuring the Modifieds, Limited Modifieds, Super Stocks, Hot Stock Trucks, Bombers, Texana Classic Dwarf Cars and Bombers. It was also bicycle giveaway night with over 60 bikes donated by race teams and sponsors to be given away at intermission.

Modifieds

1. 76 Jesse Manning

2. 2. 8 Steve Miler

3. 2w Paul White

4. 57 Dale Flanagan

5. 94 Nick Hardcastle

6. 82 Joshua Majek

7. 22 Art Rodriguez

8. 155 Vince Kacir

9. 29 Mickey Helms

10. 37 Brian Spindleman

11. 96 Foster Ellison

12. 24 Tommy Stanley

13. 70 Tom Parten

14. 77 Robert Carson

15. 4 Stew Savage

16. 52 A J Dancer

17. 40f Steve Fite

Modified heat winners, 76 Jesse Manning, 8 Steve Miller, 155 Vince Kacir

Limited Modifieds

1. 10 Aaron Hudgeons

2. 216 Paul White

3. 87 Tom Parten

4. 82 Joshua Majek

5. 3 Philip Cantu

6. 9 David Meredith

7. 21 Victor Lindsey

8. 12 Adam Perks

9. 25 Brian Brooks

10. 888 Aaron Lunsford

11. 6 Vince Louden

12. 12w Matthew Konvicka

13. 4P Joseph Penny

14. 175 Brian McDevit

Limited Modified heat winners, 87 Tom Parten, 216 Paul White

Super Stocks

1. 26 Eric Floyd

2. 49 Robert Danielson

3. 47 G W Hessong

4. 1 Dale Caswell

5. 36 Lucky Gilbert

6. 17p Nic Priem

7. 57 Jed Rollins

8. 33 Adam Perks

9. 3 Pete Herrschaft

10. 70 Mike Davenport

11. 17 Scott Adair

12. 44 Bobby Coe

13. 00 Andrew Mann

83 Randy Stevenson---DQ, unsportsmanlike conduct

Super Stock heat winers, 5 Jed Rollins, 83 Randy Stevenson

Hot Stock Truck

1. 55 Russell Bloom

2. 43 Bob Ort

3. 84 Justin Bloom

4. 76 Justin Airhart

5. 8 Lary Paris

6. 3 Greg Turner

7. 38 Chris Shafer

Hot Stuck Truck heat winner, 43 Bob Ort

Bombers

1. R4J, Danny Bennett

2. 2x Chris Jewell

3. 55 Monty Chamberlain

4. 36 Randy Kacir

5. 27 Lloyd Williams

6. 88 Sandra Hudgeons

7. 33 Charlie Mills

8. 40 Stan Eastty

9. 25 Mike Bennett

10. 89 Ricky Konvicka

11. 5 Jackie Burnett

12. 01 Lane Tipton

13. 52 Robert Bartosh

14. 76 Gary Wright

15. 77 Chris Shafer

Bomber heat winners, 88 Sandra Hudgeons, R4J Danny Bennett

Texana Classic Dwarf Cars

1. 21 Robert Smith

2. 1 Greg Sexton sr.

3. 3x Frank Fruia

4. 24 Victor Vargas

5. 13 Mike Christians

6. 54 Gary Hanson

7. 15 Gary Faris

8. 40 Ryan Watkins

9. 79 Douglas Schmidt

10. 1jr Greg Sexton jr.

11. 07 Michael Dion

12. 5 Jason Campbell

13. 8 Don Hunt

14. 4 Stew Savage

15. 19 Andrew Cline jr.

16. 74 Tom Thomlin

17. 2ez Easy Casey

18. 01s Joseph Snow

Dwarf Car heat winners, 19 Andrew Cline jr., 40 Ryan Watkins, 1 Greg Sexton sr.

Mini Stocks

1. 9 Garett Hayes

2. 49 Jason Bloom

3. 04 Jacob Burnett

4. 55 Lauren Chamberlain

5. 0 Dakota Taylor

6. 63 Chase Sanchez

7. 5 Zachary Bennett

8. 72 Zachary Tesch

9. 8 Travis Manning

Mini Stock heat winner, 9 Garett Hayes

"83 Randy Stevenson---DQ, unsportsmanlike conduct"

Rebel, I couldn't see the race (sitting in the staging lane waiting to run my feature). I heard #83 lead the race from the drop of the green flag, and was "checked" (or whatever the hockey term is) going into the last turn.

From your vantage, what happened?

Thanks

from what i was told the 26 was not gonna be dq'd because the car does have the required weight infront of the midplate. the problem was that the weight was welded on and not bolted therefore could not be weighed. the rules do not state that the weight has to be bolted and not welded. but is supposed to be corrected in the rule bood this week.

oh by the way its a good feeling finally getting my name up in the results. thanks again aj i couldnt do it with out you.

I know in the past, if you get out of your racecar and its not on fire inside the race area they will DQ you. They will DQ you if somebody comes over the wall to look at your car and the green is still out as well(safety).They simply do not tolerate any fighting or pissing matches on the track outside the car. I personally like the minimum drama enviroment, unless its good racing drama in action on the track...lol

26 wasnt Dq'ed over a tire/weight issue which I thought was the right decision. I told the 26 that we didnt want the win through disqualification on a grey area and I and glad the track gave him the win. 83 was Dq'ed for post race infield hotlapping. There was contact in the last turn of the last lap. 83 got the bad end of the stick but offortunately the side by side restarts with only 1 lap to go will always cause a wreck and or torn up cars.

We had alot of fun starting 5th row and coming up into the top 5, surviving a bunch of yellows and being able to drive it back on the trailer from tech. It had to be an overall exciting show because the features that I saw were all full of excitement and tough racing.

I would like to voice my oppinion on just a couple of things. But overall it was still a great night!

* I dont think its fair on restarts when you only have 1 lap to go have the cars still starting side by side. Its sure exciting but it tears up way too much equipment. As everyone saw. The restart should be nose to tail on those situations only. Plus too many cars now are in a possible good finishing position when they were never competing for it the rest of the race.

* Any car not on the lead lap should not be in front of anyone thats contending for a top 5 espicially during a restart with only 1 lap left. The 57 late model car should have never been allowed to retain the 4th spot on the restart when he was several laps down due to a flat tire. Of course he probably wishes now that moving over and letting those top contending cars race the last lap instead of being in it. Everyone knows he is fast and he has nothing to prove so I didnt understand his motivation there!

* No driver in any class should be allowed in the tech area to start teching other top 5 cars like the 83 did last night. That is totally bush league. Edna's tech men have been doing a perfect job and until last night have had total control of everything in that area. I dont care what kind of position a driver has with a series or class. You have no right to start picking cars apart in hopes of bettering your position, i.e. witch hunt like was conducted last night. I trust Edna's tech men and think that if something is in question then they would be able to find the answer among themselves like it basically worked out anyway. The track was presented with the issues and made their decisions. Everything that happened up to that point did nothing but piss drivers off because they are dealing with a loose cannon driver trying to make a tech decision for everyone. If this is allowed then I want the opportunity to start doing my own teching which I would love to do and have alot of experience having done it!

The bike giveaway was awesome! We saw a bunch of little ones coming back through the pits on their new bikes and big smiles! Way cool congrads Texana! Lots of fans and good car counts, chock up yet another nice night of racing. Please dont take anything a bashes or negatives that isnt the reason why I posted them. However I do thing these are common since racing and teching proceedures to keep things in check on and off the track! See you next race!

I believe the 26 was DQ also.

From what I heard he wasn't, but that's not official....I know Dale got paid for 4th and that's where he's listed.....so don't think 26 was....

oops..... My mistake. I mis-understood. Sorry bout that. Dale is correct that clarification language will be added to the rules. By the way, good job Dale. You've got the car coming your way.

Once again proud of my baby girl. Got right back on the horse after a tangle, and pulled off a 4th place finish, representing the ladies and the only girl in mini's feature. Hey, I don't mind doing some fender, hood, grill, trunk and rear bumper straightening over the next two weeks.

Good job also by Danny Bennett in the bombers. Pretty darn near perfect from my view.

Of the 101 drivers last night, I would have to say I was most impressed with Jesse Manning. Holding off Steve Miller and Paul White is something to be proud of. Quite frankly there were no slouches very close behind that. 19 mods scheduled to start the feature although looks like two didn't make the call for the feature. Great job Jesse!

101 racers, 63 bicyles, 63 really happy kids and a few sad ones. Lots of good racing!! Some blood pressure elevations where a little thinking before acting should have been used. Bottom line.... a great night of racing action with lots of talent displayed and fans who once again got every cent's worth of the price they paid for admission.

Bike Giveaway Night @ Texana Raceway Park, 7/19/08

By J M Hallas

Edna, Tx., (July 19th, 2008) A full night of racing at Texana Raceway Park's 1/4 black gumbo track, with all six regular classes in competition. The evening's event's featured the Modifieds, Limited Modifieds, Super Stocks, Hot Stock Trucks, Bombers, Texana Classic Dwarf Cars , and Mini Stocks, under a full moon.

It was also bicycle giveaway night with over 60 bikes donated by race teams and sponsors to be given away at intermission. As the fill in announcer for the night, I was proud to be part of the festivities. I can't recall seeing that many smiling children's faces in one place, except for maybe the Santa Claus waiting line in the local mall at Christmas time.

Manning Masters Modified Main

Brazoria's Jesse Manning proved to be best of the bunch as he led flag to flag in Modified 20-lap main event. Manning's road to Victory Lane wasn't easy as he was forced to hold off charges from touring pro Steve Miller, as well as former USAC Silver Crown champion Paul White as the trio diced through lapped traffic in the final laps.

When green waved on the 17-car Modified field Manning worked his way to the point coming out of urn 4, with Miller second, Vince Kacir third, White fourth and current points leader Nick Hardcastle fifth. White was able to use the high side to grab third from Kacir on lap 2, with Tommy Stanley getting sixth from Dale Flanagan.

Steve Fite brought out a yellow on lap 3 when he spun in turn 4. On the restart White got around Miller on the side for only a moment as Miller fought back on the low side to maintain the spot. By lap 5 the top four had put some distance on the pack. Hardcastle began to loose touch with the lead trio in the next laps until caution came out for debris on lap 9.

Once back to green, Hardcastle took a quick shot at White for third, but White came back to keep third. At halfway the top five were still Manning, Miller, White, Hardcastle and Kacir with Joshua Majek taking sixth from Flanagan. Flanagan charged back past Majek on lap 11, then snagged fifth from Kacir on lap 12.

With five to go, Manning, Miller and White had broken away from Hardcastle who was visibly smoking the left rear tire off. Flanagan caught Hardcastle, whose tires had gone away, and took fourth on lap 17. Up front the lead trio was hitting lapped traffic. Manning in the Auto Repair Unlimited, The Driving School, JTC Motors, Hall Machine powered, Dirt Works Genesis Chassis was able to pick his way cleanly through and hold off Miller and White for the win.

“There's some tough drivers out there,” replied Manning. “There's four or five guys that run up front every week. My hat's off to them, they're all good guys. We've got a real good race track here. Bruce(Tesch) always put on a good show. The bicycle giveaway was great. I'm just glad to be a part of this. It's been a real good year”

“You have to keep your guard up at all times with these guys wondering when they're coming. At any given time they're liable to come around you. They don't leave you an inch, nor do they take an inch. It's some good racing out there.”

“This new series Dirt Works Genesis is the 12th car built. Dirt Works, Andy Claiborne, Russell Moore and Howard Willis all work real close with me on the set up.”

Modifieds

1. 76 Jesse Manning

2. 2. 8 Steve Miler

3. 2w Paul White

4. 57 Dale Flanagan

5. 94 Nick Hardcastle

6. 82 Joshua Majek

7. 22 Art Rodriguez

8. 155 Vince Kacir

9. 29 Mickey Helms

10. 37 Brian Spindleman

11. 96 Foster Ellison

12. 24 Tommy Stanley

13. 70 Tom Parten

14. 77 Robert Carson

15. 4 Stew Savage

16. 52 A J Dancer

17. 40f Steve Fite

Modified heat winners, 76 Jesse Manning, 8 Steve Miller, 155 Vince Kacir

Limited Modified Honors go to Hudgeons

Racing in memory of his sister Eva, who recently lost her battle with cancer, Cuero's Aaron Hudgeons added another win to his season's total. To accomplish this feat Hudgeons pulled off something few can brag about, passing Paul White for the lead. Hudgeons then had to hold off the hard charging ace in the final laps as they negotiated through lapped traffic.

After a couple false starts, White jumped out front beating Tom Parten back to the line by a bumper. Caution was quickly back out when points leader Vince Louden, Mathew Konvicka and Joseph Penny tangled in turn 2. On the restart Hudgeons, in the high groove, took second away from Parten then got along side White for the lead. Hudgeons completed the pass to lead lap 2.

By lap 5 Hudgeons had put some distance on White, while Joshua Majek closed in on Parten for third. Coming to the crossed flags Hudgeons and White had pulled away from Parten, Majek and Philip Cantu rounding out the top five. The lead duo caught the back of the field on lap 11 giving White the chance to close the gap. White took a look low on lap 12, but fell back in line. White kept the heat on Hudgeons taking an occasional peek inside. As they cleared traffic with two to go, Hudgeons had a mere two car lengths on White. Hudgeons held that advantage the final two circuits to take the victory in the Hudgeons Paint & Body, Pflugerville Machine, KAM Engines, Rush Chassis.

“I found a lane around the outside that was rubbered up,” said Hudgeons. “I figured I only had one shot and I took it. I know he(Paul White) was all over me after that. I just tried to hold a lane in the middle so he couldn't get back around me. It feels good to be able to race with and beat someone like Paul”

“I just tried to go as fast as I could and not think about it being Paul back there. Under cautions you might think about it. While you're racing you try to do all you can to go fast and stay smooth.”

Limited Modifieds

1. 10 Aaron Hudgeons

2. 216 Paul White

3. 87 Tom Parten

4. 82 Joshua Majek

5. 3 Philip Cantu

6. 9 David Meredith

7. 21 Victor Lindsey

8. 12 Adam Perks

9. 25 Brian Brooks

10. 888 Aaron Lunsford

11. 6 Vince Louden

12. 12w Matthew Konvicka

13. 4P Joseph Penny

14. 175 Brian McDevit

Limited Modified heat winners, 87 Tom Parten, 216 Paul White

Randy Stevenson grabbed the lead in the Super Stock feature until debris brought out caution on lap 1. On the restart Jed Rollins and Scott Adair made contact coming to green stacking up the pack going into turn turn 1 that resulted in a multi-car tangle. Adair secured second on the restart while Rollins was forced to pit with a flat right front.

Stevenson had just started to pull away when Adair broke and rolled to a stop in turn 4. Once back to green Eric Floyd got by G W Hessong for second and was challenging Stevenson until yellow waved for a spin by Lucky Gilbert. On the restart Adam Perks spun and collected Andrew Mann, Mike Davenport and Pete Herrschaft. Once back to racing Hessong retook second from Floyd but gave it back a lap later. Dale Caswell and Gilbert brought out a yellow as they were turned around in turn 1.

As the race resumed the top three of Stevenson, Floyd and Hessong broke away. The last yellow waved for debris on the last lap setting up a one lap shootout to the checkers..under a full moon. Floyd kept the pressure on Stevenson and going into turn 3 Stevenson left the bottom open, and Floyd took it. The two made contact sending Stevenson up the track to the wall. Behind them the pack scattered causing a huge melee. Floyd was able to make it to the checkers first, while the rest of the field scrambled to get through or moving again causing a major shake up in the final run down.

Super Stocks

1. 26 Eric Floyd

2. 49 Robert Danielson

3. 47 G W Hessong

4. 1 Dale Caswell

5. 36 Lucky Gilbert

6. 17p Nic Priem

7. 57 Jed Rollins

8. 33 Adam Perks

9. 3 Pete Herrschaft

10. 70 Mike Davenport

11. 17 Scott Adair

12. 44 Bobby Coe

13. 00 Andrew Mann

83 Randy Stevenson---DQ, unsportsmanlike conduct

Super Stock heat winers, 5 Jed Rollins, 83 Randy Stevenson

Track points leader, Bob Ort grabbed the point as green waved on the Hot Stock Truck feature, while Russell and Justin Bloom ran side by side for third. Chris Shafer used the high groove to get along side Ort on lap 1 as they fought for the lead. Shafer was able to get the bumper ahead for the lead on lap 4, while R. Bloom finally secured third.

Ort came back on lap 5 to get the lead again with the two running a dead heat for the lead on lap 8. Shafer then began to fade with a burned up right rear, giving up second to R. Bloom on lap 9. R. Bloom the moved in on Ort and got by on lap 12 again using the top groove. After a late yellow for debris, Ort gave it one last try to get back by R. Bloom but came up short as R. Bloom held steady to snag the win.

Hot Stock Truck

1. 55 Russell Bloom

2. 43 Bob Ort

3. 84 Justin Bloom

4. 76 Justin Airhart

5. 8 Lary Paris

6. 3 Greg Turner

7. 38 Chris Shafer

Hot Stuck Truck heat winner, 43 Bob Ort

Danny Bennett added to his track points lead taking the heat/feature sweep in the Bombers. D. Bennett grabbed the lead on lap 1 while Monty Chamberlain and Sandra Hudgeons battled for second. Chamberlain got the spot on a restart, with Randy Kacir getting third from Hudgeons on lap 5.

Coming through the field was Chris Jewell getting by both Hudgeons and Kacir by lap 7. Jewell then caught Chamberlain as they diced through traffic going three wide at one point by a lapped car. Jewell finally got the spot on lap 12, but D. Bennett too far out front to rundown in the closing laps as he easily cruised to the checkers.

Bombers

1. R4J Danny Bennett

2. 2x Chris Jewell

3. 55 Monty Chamberlain

4. 36 Randy Kacir

5. 27 Lloyd Williams

6. 88 Sandra Hudgeons

7. 33 Charlie Mills

8. 40 Stan Eastty

9. 25 Mike Bennett

10. 89 Ricky Konvicka

11. 5 Jackie Burnett

12. 01 Lane Tipton

13. 52 Robert Bartosh

14. 76 Gary Wright

15. 77 Chris Shafer

Bomber heat winners, 88 Sandra Hudgeons, R4J Danny Bennett

On the second start of the 18-car Dwarf Car feature, heat winners Andrew Cline jr, Ryan Watkins and Greg Sexton sr. raced three wide into turn 1 for the lead with Cline getting the spot followed by Sexton sr. Watkins lost ground on lap 2 when slid high giving up third and fourth to Mike Christians and Stew Savage. Sexton sr. grabbed the lead on lap 5 as the top two pulled away from the field.

On lap 11 Cline spun while trying to avoid Sexton sr. who appeared to slow briefly coming out of turn 4. Sexton sr. built a huge lead as racing resumed only to see it disappear after separate spins by Watkins and Savage brought out the caution with one to go. On the final lap shootout Robert Smith got a god run on Sexton coming to the green/white. Smith shot by Sexton jr. on the back stretch then held on to snatch the win away.

Texana Classic Dwarf Cars

1. 21 Robert Smith

2. 1 Greg Sexton sr.

3. 3x Frank Fruia

4. 24 Victor Vargas

5. 13 Mike Christians

6. 54 Gary Hanson

7. 15 Gary Faris

8. 40 Ryan Watkins

9. 79 Douglas Schmidt

10. 1jr Greg Sexton jr.

11. 07 Michael Dion

12. 5 Jason Campbell

13. 8 Don Hunt

14. 4 Stew Savage

15. 19 Andrew Cline jr.

16. 74 Tom Thomlin

17. 2ez Easy Casey

18. 01s Joseph Snow

Dwarf Car heat winners, 19 Andrew Cline jr., 40 Ryan Watkins, 1 Greg Sexton sr.

Garett Hayes swept the night in the Mini Stock class taking both the heat and feature wins. In the feature Hayes jumped out front early while Jacob Burnett and Jason Bloom battled for second. Zachary Tesch closed in on Bloom for third and got the spot until the two made contact sending Tesch around to bring out the yellow. Once back to racing Bloom got by Burnett for second as Hayes was running unchallenged to the victory.

Mini Stocks

1. 9 Garett Hayes

2. 49 Jason Bloom

3. 04 Jacob Burnett

4. 55 Lauren Chamberlain

5. 0 Dakota Taylor

6. 63 Chase Sanchez

7. 5 Zachary Bennett

8. 72 Zachary Tesch

9. 8 Travis Manning

Mini Stock heat winner, 9 Garett Hayes

Rebel, I couldn't see the race (sitting in the staging lane waiting to run my feature). I heard #83 lead the race from the drop of the green flag, and was "checked" (or whatever the hockey term is) going into the last turn.

From your vantage, what happened?

FULL MOON!!!!! LOL In all honesty.....the one lap shootout deal was part of the recipe for this.....the 83 got into three leaving enough room for 26 to stick his nose in.....and he did...... Two guys going for the same real estate, fighting for the win......last corner of last lap......you know the saying......bovine scatology happens...behind that it got real ugly, tore up some stuff......not sure how that all came about, too busy trying to see who was going win/finish where...

From what I could hear, getting out of the car is what got 83 DQ'd.....

My cousin raced at Texana last night for his first race. He called me this AM & was excited about the bike give aways. His 2 daughters each got one & his nephew (who was flying back to Delaware today) won a bike, but since he couldn't take it on the plane with him, they gave him a checkered flag with the drivers signatures on it. He was more excited about the flag than the bike.

My cousin said that I could come drive his truck. I just might have to take him up on that. I was really impressed with the report that he gave me about Texana.

I had heard Jay was going to be announcing last night. I almost drove to Edna, but went to lake (without any mishaps) instead. I will be at Texana in 2 weeks.

Way to go Texana drivers for the give aways for the kids.

.....the 83 got into three leaving enough room for 26 to stick his nose in.....and he did...... Two guys going for the same real estate, fighting for the win......last corner of last lap......you know the saying......bovine scatology happens......From what I could hear, getting out of the car is what got 83 DQ'd.....

Thanks for the reply

See how you are......... :lol::lol::lol:

I take it your cousin bought the #3 truck?

I didn't mean it like that. Yea, I think it was the #3. If it was a vertically challenged person, then it was my cousin. I am going to have to borrow Tator's driving package for him, but I think he still won't be tall enough.

How did he drive? Does he need some instruction?

..... His 2 daughters each got one & his nephew (who was flying back to Delaware today) won a bike, but since he couldn't take it on the plane with him, they gave him a checkered flag with the drivers signatures on it. He was more excited about the flag than the bike.........

Way to go Texana drivers for the give aways for the kids.

We were really glad we could do that for him. Originally, the flag was planned to be the last item drawn for the kids, but when we learned that he had given the bike back to the group, we were very impressed. We are really glad that worked out for him, and now a bunch of Texas driver names will be floating around up in Delaware.

On another note, thank you Jay for stepping in and performing as our announcer for the evening. Excellent job! I heard several compliments on your work throughout the evening. You were a tremendous asset to the evening.

-Monty

Thanks Brenda......I'll get them forwarded off.....

Did you get any good close-up pix of the Super Stock Victory Lane????? LOL :lol::lol: I know it probably wasn't funny to you at the time.......but I kept wondering if he thought you would change the decision on the winner or what.....gotta love short track racing under a full moon!!!!!

Archived