Driver Search / Where are they?

Midget 85

Barb,

Yes, Denny is a long time friend of mine and I have known him since he was 4 years old!

We raced Quarter Midgets together in the late 50's and early 60's.

Go to "Where are they Now" thread on this forum, then click on Quarter Midget Drivers from the 50's and 60's.

You will find plenty of old photos and stories including some on Denny Burton, myself and other young drivers including Larry Schild.

Have fun!

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 4 weeks later...

He's doing pretty good...He came by the shop last friday for a few minutes...He had Peggy Trotter driving him around as he has lost 90% of his vision..He wanted to show her the Silver Crown car in my shop....Peggy seems to be recovering nicely from her bout with cancer...MJ said he may be 88 now but if he could still see ,he would love to make a few laps in the Silver Crown car...said he would be at HMP for sure when we shake it down...2 weeks ago he was at shop telling story about him and Rackley getting together at San Antonio in the midgets...Donna has pictures of the accident...before,during after..but she won't let me have them back to post...

Denny,

Tell MJ we'll reserve a spot at HMP and what the heck, we will even sponsor a "Seeing Eye Dog" to ride shotgun!

Be sure to tell him hi from all the gang that have asked about him.

Keep us posted Denny

Tell Donna she has made everyone saddened that she won't share the photos. I'll make a bribe that I won't post the photo of her sitting in my Quarter Midget in San Antonio with a pacifier in her mouth if she will share the photos with us old racers..

• 2 months later...
Jim's Info.

At Meyer.............Yes about 1964. I didn't run full seasons the first couple of years. We were on a two year driver limit but I actually got in part of a fourth season. We didn't win much but had more fun than the law allowed! My partner Jimmy Day (RIP) was a great guy and fun to be around. I had the privilege of helping George Nash on his Modified for awhile. Another fine human being with a huge knowledge of race cars, suspension and all it takes to win. Working with George is where I met Bill Mullins and Sonny Catchings. Bill took over the driving duty on my number 8 Bronco. The Bronco association politely asked me to quit driving considering the two year limit. :D I couldn't afford a modified and was content to help on George's car when I could. There's a lot more but this is the meat of it.

I'm sure when some of the other guys post, it will jog my memory to add more.

hey jakdad good to see your quote on biil mullins driving your car bill race a1963 ford fairlane at meyers in the limited sportmans class in 1973 i help him on his car he ran 2 about 4 times in the features he later race a mustang in the latemodel class for about half the season then george nash drove it

• 2 weeks later...
Hello Everyone!!

I am new to the forum. Noticed ya were looking for Joe Plowman #28..... I am his daughter.

He lives in La Marque and works in Galveston. He is doing great!!!

Thanks,

Barb

hey barb i was working on phil cronins race cars at meyers in the 70s he drove chevys but i was a ford man i was pulling for phil to win but bening a ford fan i wanted joe to win i saw your brother at big h years ago ask him about his dad hows joe doing from a ford man

hey jakdad i like your quote about bill mullings and sonny i helped bill when he raced a 63 ford fairlane at meyers we raced it for 2 years i started working for phil cronin on his cars bill build a mustang to run in the latemodel class at meyers he drove it for about half the season then he got george to drive it the rest george nash was a good freind and one good driver his record speaks for its self

• 1 year later...

Hey jakdad. I like your quote about Bill mullings and Sonny. I helped Bill when he raced a 63 Ford Fairlane at Meyers. We raced it for 2 years I started working for Phil Cronin on his cars. Bill build a Mustang to run in the latemodel class at Meyers. He drove it for about half the season then he got George to drive it the rest. George Nash was a good freind and one good driver. His record speaks for itself.

Punctuation is very important!!! :(

Archived