Driver Search / Where are they?

Midget 85

Jim,

In the beginning of the 1968 season, the coupe modifieds were being phased out as you probably remember and going more to later model or special construction.

When Joe brought out his new ride that season, I remember asking one of the crewmen what happened to his old coupe that he had been driving?

I was told that Joe cut it up with a torch and scrapped it..

I was saddend to hear the news and didn't understand why anyone would want to cut up one of these coupes.

I bet there are plenty of us out there that would like to have this car as a collector piece today.

Was wondering where Joe might be today. Seems no one knows of his whereabouts.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 weeks later...

Jim,

Matter of fact I did and gave him reference to this site. I spoke with him over the phone with a conversation about the modifieds.

Apparently, they are all gone now and Joe maybe retired. The last modified that he won Championship in was sold. The others apparently were salvaged :(

He does have some photos that he gave someone to scan to disc but it's been a couple of years ago and he hasn't seen them since.

Hopefully, we can get him on this site and fill us in with info from the Meyer Speedway days of glory. He did say that Meyer Speedway was a good time in his life.

He doesn't know that his racing brought joy to all of us as well.

Thanks for doing the homework Jim..

• 2 weeks later...

Well, Now that we have Joe tracked down, how about another pair? Larry and I were talking the other day and the subject of Bronco racer/ car owner John Lewis and driver Al Dempsey came up. Where are these guys now. I think they had the 58 car and if I am wrong, Larry please jump in. John had a transmission shop somewhere out behind Hobby Airport. Lots of guys should remember "Big Al"............................. :D:D

Yeah Jim,

Maybe Larry Trotter or Mark can help us out here.

That is interesting.

Darn, the more I think about it...was it all that long ago?

Find out anymore on the fire at the track?

Where did all our guys go that use to input here?

Well, Now that we have Joe tracked down, how about another pair? Larry and I were talking the other day and the subject of Bronco racer/ car owner John Lewis and driver Al Dempsey came up. Where are these guys now. I think they had the 58 car and if I am wrong, Larry please jump in. John had a transmission shop somewhere out behind Hobby Airport. Lots of guys should remember "Big Al"............................. :D:D

This around 1975 John Lewis fixed the transmission on the car I had the time, it was 72 Ford Maverick with a 302 V8. He put a shift a kit in it and what a change back in those days. The last I heard from My Dad he had a shop in Pearland off FM 518

I am looking for info on Benjamin Franklin Musick a.k.a. William Morris, Bill Morris & Wild Bill Morris. He was from Dallas and ran early sprints CSRA, IMCA in the 1930's & 40's. He retired from racing in about 1950 and passed away in 1966. Does anyone know how to contact any of his family that might have photos or scrape books of his career?

He also had brothers who were racers during this period.

Some info I have found http://texashideout.tripod.com/musick.html

Bart

Yes, according to tex44 (I found this on another thread)

Ben Musick was one of 6 brothers from the south side of Dallas. Five went on to become race car drivers. Three were pretty much legends in the midgets throuhtout the southwest. Ben Musick, Rabbit Musick and Cotton Musick.

I have also read this in Don Radbruch's book Dirt Track Auto Racing.

On that same thread Lucky161 said Ben's son, Jimmy, has a shop in Ft. Worth. A lead I will follow...

Bart

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Barb,

I am the guy who called Joe several weeks or months ago and letting him know about this forum and to also check in with him about any photos.

He mentioned that someone was going to convert them to a disc for him but hasn't seen him in awhile.

Thanks for locating us and welcome to this forum.

We look forward to hearing stories about Joe's career and his days at Playland and Meyer Speedway.

If I can help you with the photo uploading and editing, please feel free to let me know.

Again, welcome and let Joe know we are anxious to here from him!

-Randy

Midget 85

Barb,

Welcome to the Forum; look forward to seeing some pics of Fords!!

As for Denny Burton, he visits this site regularly, and his screen name is "gingerbreadman".

He also races a Modified at Houston Motorsports Park, and maintains cars for racers.

He'll probably see this and respond shortly.

Archived