17. 11b Chip Godfredson

18. 115 Chuck Perry

19. x11 Mark Salinas

20. 26 J J Jennings

21. 6 Vince Louden

22. 22 Rene Mares

23. 771 Barry Codling

24. 39 Miguel Mendoza

IMCA SSM heat winners(top 3 redraw), 22 Rene Mares, 174 Mickey Helms, 6 Vince Louden, 39 Miguel Mendoza

Pure Stocks

1. 186 Robert Danielson

2. 23 Sean Terry

3. 2 Scott Diem

4. 55 Charlie Henley

5. 74k Danny Kasperwicz

6. 66 Adam Torres

7. 72 Manny Trevino

8. 555 Sonny Jones

9. 3 Albert Mares

10. 22 Brian Terry

11. 7x Janel Hilla

12. 88 Bobby Jack

13. 91 Bryon Reed

14. 31J Charles Bendle

15. 15 William Cavender

16. 57 Jason Kelly

17. 21H Mikey Faulkner

18. 74x. Steve Mireles

19. 14 Mark Pivarnik

20. 96 Justin Henley

Pure Stock heat winners,(top 3 redraw) 23 Sean Terry, 22 Brian Terry, 72 Manny Trevino, 88 Bobby Jack

Obvously many know the differences that have accured between my point of view of I37 and the way it was run earlier this year! Many times my point of view I chose to make publically right or wrong was stated. Prior to pulling into the pits myself and Jim chatted privately at his request. We both decided to put away our axe grinding and start with a new slate. I want it to be pubically known that if anyone took anything personal over again what were my opinions at the time let me extend an apology to them and that includes the track and its workers. Lastly because Jim handled the quick meeting the way he did with respect and as a true promoter I want it publically known that we did shake hands and put the past behind us. Now when I have an issue I am going to burn his phone line up telling him all about it, haha ;)

The track really had a halo around it with all the storms popping off all day and evening. Sorry we couldn't make the haul up. Just ran out of time. Looks like it was a great show.

Congratulations to all of the winners; Danielsen, Helms, and Dinsmore. How bout that Mickey "the racer's friend" Helms! Yep, I'm a fan of his, especially when it's someone who has helped as many racers as he has. Great job all!

The track really had a halo around it with all the storms popping off all day and evening. Sorry we couldn't make the haul up. Just ran out of time. Looks like it was a great show.

Congratulations to all of the winners; Danielsen, Helms, and Dinsmore. How bout that Mickey "the racer's friend" Helms! Yep, I'm a fan of his, especially when it's someone who has helped as many racers as he has. Great job all!

Monty,

You should have been there, it was super heavy, and super fast! It was still drizzling during our heat races and mickey still found a way to be fast on the grease! By feature time the track turned to glue, talk about fast!, hold it to the wood and find a line and hope nothing breaks. Mickey and Doc ran a hell of a race. Q-Tip ran a good race too came from 22nd to finish 7th. By the way my car dont look like the avatar anymore...somebody put some kryptonite in my car somewhere...lol

What position did 32 Raymond T finish in before his DQ?
5th

It does look like I missed a good one... Was going to bring my car, but by the time we wrapped up at the track, I ran out of time to add the weight and get there.

We need all of the tracks thriving and this looks like an excellent booster shot for I-37. Just what the doctor ordered. Very happy to see I-37 have such a great turn-out and dodge the bullet that the rest of us just couldn't miss. I know the staff at I-37 worked their butt's off for this, and every driver that got to race last night should give them a big thank you. Lot of front runner names in the three classes.

Would have loved to have seen Doc and Mickey running up front together. And, if that ole Q-Tip keeps running like that, he'll have scouts after him before long offering big sponsorship deals. What happened to the Superman car?

First, we would like to Thank: Douglas Glass, Sundowner RV, Boerne Physical Therapy Institute, C-D Electric, Matco Tools and Custom Control Modules for chipping in and Sponsoring the First Annual Firecracker 3000. Thank You!!!

We would also like to thank everyone, from the drivers, crews, sponsors and spectators for coming out last night. That was an awesome show. The weather gods seemed to be on our side last night. We did have a shower at the beginning of the heat races, but everyone stuck it out and we had some good, hard, "clean" racing. That's what is it all about. Thank You!!!

Congrats to the winners last night:

Pure Stocks - 186 Robert Danielsen - Boerne - Sponsored by: Hill Country Fire Place, Danielsen Motorsports, Canavan Custom Homes, Advent Painting, Tom Cavin Title, Paul Swoyer Septic

IMCA Sport Modifieds - 174 Mickey Helms - Victoria - Sponsored by: Mickey's Auto Repair, Constant Vinyl Graphics, Rush Chassis, Nemateck's Computer Service, RSC Equipment Rentals

IMCA Modifieds - 8g Greg Dinsmore - Kerrville - Sponsored by: Sundowner RV, Harris Auto Racing, Azul Margaritas, Bob Harris Enterprises, Big Worm Motorsports

Hard Charger Awards - Sponsored by Boerne Physical Therapy Institute -

were awarded to:

Pure Stocks - 66 Adam Torres

IMCA Sport Modifieds - 888 Aaron Lunsford (Q-Tip)

IMCA Modifieds - 48 Chris "Iceman" Swenson

Great job guys!!!

Just a reminder, July 11th is our week off. Our next race will be July 18th.

We will be running the Pure Stocks, Street Stocks, Super Stocks, IMCA Sport Modifieds, IMCA Modifieds and the Mechanic's Race.

Thanks Cassie,

It was a pleasure to be a part of last nights racing... Everyone did a great job, I know from talking to Jim that a lot of hard work has been going into having the track ready for racing...

GREAT JOB I-37 and ALL involved...

Firecracker 3000 @ I-37 Raceway, 7/5/08

By J M Hallas

Pleasanton, Tx., (July 5th, 2008) I-37 Raceway celebrated the Independence Day weekend with inaugural Firecracker 3000, sponsored by Douglas Glass, Sundowner RV, Boerne Physical Therapy Institute, C-D Electric, Matco Tools and Custom Control Modules. The special event paid $1,000 to each of the winners in the IMCA Modified, IMCA Southern Sportmod and Pure Stock classes. Drivers from tracks in Corpus, Edna, McAllen and even the pavement track in Kyle signed in for their chance to pick up the big payday.

After weeks and weeks of no rain in the area, guess what.....yep a shower popped up right before race time dramatically changing track conditions. A track that looked like it would go dry slick early quickly changed to a heavy somewhat soupy track for the heats that were run with light rain falling. Come feature time the track was super tacky making for some great two and three wide racing on the 1/4 semi-banked oval just south of San Antonio.

Dinsmore Dances to Dough in IMCA Modified Main

Kerrville’s Greg Dinsmore continued his winning ways starting the month of July adding another win. Dinsmore’s hot steak began in May taking three out of four, then 2 wins in three June races. It didn’t take him long in the 20-lap main as he charged from row three to the lead on lap 3. From there it was all Dinsmore as he ran away from the field easily bagging the win.

At the start of the IMCA Modified A-Main, Raymond Tague beat Randy Yount into turn one for the lead, while Dinsmore quickly moved into second. Max Helms and Darin Leonard ran side by side for fourth on lap 1 with Helms getting the spot on lap 2. At the same time Dinsmore was getting around Tague to lead on lap 3. Yount then moved in to challenge Tague getting second on lap 6 followed by Helms to third, and Chris Swenson getting fourth.

Debris on the track during lap 7 brought out the races only caution and rebunched the field. Once back under green, Dinsmore powered off to a good jump on the field. Swenson drifted too high allowing Tague to retake fourth, but Swenson recovered and got back around Tague on lap 8. At the crossed flags it was Dinsmore, Yount, Helms, Swenson and Tague in the top five.

The field then sorted out with Dinsmore increasing his margin. By lap 15 Dinsmore pulled away to a straightaway advantage over Yount, Helms and Swenson running nose to tail for second. With three to go Dinsmore caught Bob Leinweber and Bill Pittaway battling at the back. Swenson got by Helms for third on lap 18, then snagged second from Yount as the white flag waved. Up front it Dinsmore, slowed only by lapped traffic, in the Sundowner RV Repair, Team Brain Freeze, Azul Margaritas, Southern Spirits, Racetechinfo.com, Big Worm Graphics, Tailor Made Counter Tops, Jeff’s Performance powered, Harris Chassis gabbing the win and $1,000 pay day.

“It’s the car,” commented Dinsmore. “It really works well here. It’s all about the car. It’s really fast and works good other places too. Honestly we weren’t even running full throttle it was getting through the corners go good. All I had to do was give it a little burp getting in and it would turn.”

“In the heat we had a little problem with a push and had a good battle with Randy(Yount) for the win. In the feature the car was just turned on. It was hookin’ and burnin’ and turnin.’ Even if I made a mistake the car would turn. The beginning of the race is usually the first chance to get by before they find that sweet spot. If they get out front and get away then you have to try to find a way around if they have the good line. So the best bet is get up there early.”

“The competition is good here, Randy and Chris(Swenson) are always right there. The Rye’s were gone tonight at a wedding and we missed them. I’d love to see the track have a 15-20 car field. The track was awesome tonight especially after the rain moved through. It looked like it would be dry, but it was good and tacky. We made a lot of changes on the car and adjusted for the track.”

IMCA Modifieds

1. 8g Greg Dinsmore

2. 48 Chris Swenson

3. 66 Randy Yount

4. 29 Max Helms

5. 45F James Foster

6. 26 Darin Leonard

7. 12 Bob Leinweber

8. 137 Bill Pittaway

32 Raymond Tague---DQ(Roller)

125 Jason Borlace---DNS(broke in heat)

IMCA Modified heat winners, 8g Greg Dinsmore, 26 Darin Leonard

Helms Hustles to Sportmod Sweep

A former I-37 regular out of Victoria, Mickey Helms always know for being the last car to sign in was given the nickname, Last Minute Racing Team. Tonight Helms would anything but late or last as he battled his way to front of the IMCA SSM field. Helms fought early with leader Chuck Perry, then had to hold off David Meredith and track hotshoe, Johnny Torres to grab the victory.

Chuck Perry and Steve Grantz paced the 24-car field to green for night’s 30-lap main event. Perry jumped into the lead in turn one with Helms and Meredith falling in line second and third. Grantz battled back by Meredith on lap 1 for third, with Allen Torres and E J Gilpin side by side for fifth. The top six sorted out single file, while Jermi Irvin got by Miguel Mendoza for seventh.

Victor Lindsey spun in turn 3 on lap 6 about the same time Mendoza had his car explode in a ball of flame to bring out a red. The fire went out quickly on its own, as Mendoza scurried out. On the restart Barry Codling was slow to take off stacking up the field, then rolling to a stop in turn 4 to bring caution back out on lap 4.

The next restart saw Rene Mares and Vince Louden over anticipate the start and get too good of a jump. It got worse for the two on the following try as R. Mares blew up coming to green leaving Louden nowhere to go except over the left rear and airborne. Once back to green action at the front picked up.

Helms took the high side of Perry with the two wheel to wheel on lap 5 for the lead. Helms then got nose out front on laps 6-7 as the duo continued to fight it out. Meredith tried to join the fun sticking it in three wide on lap 7. Perry had the lead back briefly on lap 8 before Helms finally secured the spot on lap 9. In the meantime, A. Torres and Gilpin had worked their way by Grantz for fourth and fifth.

Caution waved on lap 10 when Lindsey and J J Jennings got together in turn 2, collecting Louden who was a victim again. On the restart Perry tried to get back to the point, but Meredith, with a good run off turn 2, got by for second. In the pack, newcomer to the Sportmod class, Chip Godfredson had made his way from a row 11 starting spot to sixth getting by Grantz on lap 11. Godfredson began looking inside Gilpin as the race came to halfway with the top five of Helms, Meredith, Perry, A. Torres and Gilpin trying to hold off Godfredson.

Godfredson got fifth on lap 15, with Chris Swenson taking sixth from Gilpin on lap 16. Yellow came out on lap 17 when Lindsey, Bill Pittaway and Mark Salinas tangled in front of the lead pack sending them scattering high and low. Once back to green Perry retook second from Meredith. As they fought it out side by side, Helms was able to increase his margin. A. Torres joined that battle making it three wide for second on lap on lap 19.

Meredith and A. Torres were able to make the pass, followed by Godfredson to fourth. Caution came out on lap 20 for debris, giving drivers and fans a chance to catch their breathe. As the green waved again A. Torres and Godfredson tangled in turn 2 sending Godfredson around quickly bringing yellow back out. Godfredson was out for the night while A. Torres pitted along with Perry, who gave up his top five spot.

When green flag racing resumed the top five had changed with Helms and Meredith still first and second followed by Swenson, Gilpin and Johnny Torres. Swenson gave Meredith a challenge but got loose and lost ground on lap 21. Swenson would then begin to slow with carburetor issues, that gave J. Torres and Gilpin an opening for the spots. Swenson would pull to the infield on lap 24.

With five to go the top three of Helms, Meredith and J. Torres were now running nose to tail and putting distance on Gilpin and Grantz. J. Torres started putting the pressure on Meredith for second getting along side. As Meredith and J. Torres slugged it out for second, Helms got a small advantage. As the white waved Helms had a five car length lead on the second place battle and was able to take the checkers in the Mickeys Auto Repair, Constant Vinyl Graphics, Nematecks Computer Service, RSC Equipment Rentals, Rush Chassis with Helms power.

“I just kept it on the floor and never lifted,” replied Helms. “In a big field like this I just try to run my own race and stay out of trouble. I just try to see who I’m running with, if they’re running smooth I just pick a different line and stick it in. I race with David(Meredith) down in Edna(Texana Raceway Park) so I know his driving style.”

IMCA Southern Sportmods

1. 174 Mickey Helms

2. 9 David Meredith

3. 66 Johnny Torres

4. 21 E J Gilpin

5. 21g Steve Grantz

6. 4 Abraham Mares

7. 888 Aaron Lunsford

8. 137 Bill Pittaway

9. s21 Victor Lindsey

10. 32 Jermi Irvin

11. 11F Mike Finkel

12. 11 Chris McLendon

13. 911 Russell Salinas

14. 94 Allen Torres

15. o3 Mark Smith

16. 48 Chris Swenson

17. 11b Chip Godfredson

18. 115 Chuck Perry

19. x11 Mark Salinas

20. 26 J J Jennings

21. 6 Vince Louden

22. 22 Rene Mares

23. 771 Barry Codling

24. 39 Miguel Mendoza

IMCA SSM heat winners(top 3 redraw), 22 Rene Mares, 174 Mickey Helms, 6 Vince Louden, 39 Miguel Mendoza

Danielson Dices way to I-37 Pay Day

Boerne’s Robert Danielson patiently picked his way through the field early in the Pure Stock feature as he headed towards the front. An anticipated showdown between local hot shoe Justin Henley, Corpus Christi’s Bobby Jack and Danielson never came about when Henley and Jack both had problems. After a caution taking out Jack, who was the leader at the time, Danielson got around Sean Terry on the restart and was able to pull away for the win.

Asphalt driver, Bryon Reed drew the pole flanked by former track champ, Janel Hilla as the 20-car Pure Stock field rolled to green for the 25-lap feature. Reed was first into turn 1, but Jack made a charge from row three to get the point on lap 1. Sean Terry moved into second followed by Manny Trevino, Danielson, Charlie Henley and J. Henley. J. Henley continued his march to the front getting by his dad, Trevino and Danielson to take third.

Mikey Faulkner brought out the yellow on lap 3 when he had problems and rolled to a stop in turn 3. On the restart, J. Henley was looking high on S. Terry for second, while Danielson was taking a peek low on Trevino for fourth. J. Henley’s run ended on lap 4 when he pulled to the infield with a flat right rear. Danielson got by Trevino for third on lap 5, followed by C. Henley to fourth on lap 6.

Up front Jack was checking out but came up on two slower cars. As Jack split the two through the middle they tried to go three wide into turn 1 with Jack getting turned around after contact. Jack was forced to pit with a flat, as the lead was handed over to S. Terry. Once back to green, Danielson began his assault on S. Terry for the lead.

Danielson tried low on lap 8 giving C. Henley room on top to get along side him for second. S. Terry held on to the lead as Danielson and C. Henley swapped second corner for corner. Danielson maintained second and tried the high side on lap 11, while Scott Diem moved in on C. Henley for third. Finally on lap 12 Danielson got the lead away from S. Terry, with Diem taking third.

At the midway point it was Danielson, S. Terry, Diem, C. Henley and Trevino in the top five. A bumper on the track brought the action to a halt on lap 14. As green waved again Hilla found herself in the turn 4 tire barrier and wall to bring the yellow quickly back out. The next restart was clean as the top three started to inch away.

Danielson was able to increase his lead when Diem and S. Terry began to battle for second. In the pack a good four car fight was going on for sixth between Jason Kelly, Danny Kasperwicz, Adam Torres and Sonny Jones. With five to go, Danielson had built a ½ straightaway lead over S. Terry, Diem and C. Henley, while Kasperwicz took fifth from Trevino. The only thing to slow Danielson down was traffic, as he ran up on a three wide battle in closing laps. Danielson, sponsored by Danielson Motorsports, Hill Country Fire Place, Canavan Custom Homes, Advent Painting, Tom Cavin Title, picked his way through and still held a comfortable margin as he took the checkers.

Pure Stocks

1. 186 Robert Danielson

2. 23 Sean Terry

3. 2 Scott Diem

4. 55 Charlie Henley

5. 74k Danny Kasperwicz

6. 66 Adam Torres

7. 72 Manny Trevino

8. 555 Sonny Jones

9. 3 Albert Mares

10. 22 Brian Terry

11. 7x Janel Hilla

12. 88 Bobby Jack

13. 91 Bryon Reed

14. 31J Charles Bendle

15. 15 William Cavender

16. 57 Jason Kelly

17. 21H Mikey Faulkner

18. 74x. Steve Mireles

19. 14 Mark Pivarnik

20. 96 Justin Henley

Pure Stock heat winners,(top 3 redraw) 23 Sean Terry, 22 Brian Terry, 72 Manny Trevino, 88 Bobby Jack

Hard Charger Awards - Sponsored by Boerne Physical Therapy Institute -

Pure Stocks - 66 Adam Torres(18th to 6th)

IMCA Sport Modifieds - 888 Aaron Lunsford(22nd to 7th)

IMCA Modifieds - 48 Chris Swenson(9th to 2nd)

The management at I-37 is doing an excellent job. They continue to improve as they go along. Thanks to them for the big race last night. It was a very good show and I look forward to many more with them. If you have not been out there lately, it would be well worth the price of admission.

Was able to tape all the action from heats and features on Sat night. If your interested in the heats and features. Send me an email. ty@texasmotorsportsmedia.com I should have them ready by this weekend and can ship them out to you. If you are wondering if the video are any good.... Ask around. I am pretty sure you will be standing up in your living room when when they come out of turn 4 as they take the green flag. I shoot wide to get as many cars in as possible then tighten the shot as you make the pass. It was a late night, but no one left until it was over. Had fun. You guys and gals put on a great show. Thanks for having me down. Thad,

AKA " The Video Guy."

good run #91 on the donut tires right into the leader as he lapped you giving him a flat.

Thanks Racer 88

Bobby Jack

The leader

THAT DID SUCK U HAD EM COVERED AND THE CDS ARE AWESOME NOT JUST THE RACE HE ADDS THINGS HERE AND THERE NICE TOUCH

Effort well done by 1-37 staff for not quitting on the racers and the fans on Saturday night. Drivers meeting in the rain but still hung in there racers and fans. Hats off to the racers for a great night of racing. 88 you were not insight GONE! Until that incident (sux) Gettem next time. 8G was a rocket smooth, but still liked the last lap move in the heat race wow!

Archived