First Annual "Firecracker 3000" Set at I-37 Raceway

Pleasanton – Jim Knudtson, Track Director at I-37 Raceway in Pleasanton, announced the First Annual "Firecracker 3000" will be run at I-37 on Saturday, July 5, 2008, but this time the "3000" doesn't refer to laps or miles, but money.

"If you think the drivers race hard on a regular race night, you're right," Knudtson said in announcing the event. "But that's nothing compared to how hard they'll race with a thousand bucks on the line for first place, and we're offering that for three classes at the Firecracker 3000."

The winners of the IMCA Modified race, the IMCA Southern Sports Modified race, and I-37 Raceway's own Pure Stock class feature will take home a cool $1,000 for their winning effort on Saturday night, July 5. The IMCA Modified winner also earns a spot on the ballot for the 2009 Fast Shafts All-Star Invitational and a chance to race as part of the annual event at the IMCA Supernationals in Boone, Iowa.

The Firecracker 3000 is also expected to attract larger fields of cars and drivers trying to cash in on the added purse money, and several out-of-town drivers have already appeared at I-37 in recent weeks to test out the track and get a feel for it.

"The local drivers might not have much of an advantage," Knudtson pointed out. "Danny Kasperwicz from San Antonio won the Pure Stocks two weeks ago and was second last week. Brian Rye from Corpus won the IMCA Mod feature two weeks ago, then took second last week, and Steve Grantz of Aransas Pass won two weeks ago and was third last week. These guys are good."

The 2008 All-Star ballot has 77 drivers on it, ten of them Texans. The South Texas racers would like to add a few names to that list for next season, and they'll get their chance on July 5, a Saturday, instead of the usual Friday-night schedule for I-37 Raceway.

Gates will still open at 4:00 pm and hot laps will start at 8:00 pm.

T. Q. Jones, Media Director, P. O. Box 341706, Austin, TX 78734

PH: (512) 261-5236 Email: tqj@mindspring.com

It's a fair question, Reb. I just talked to Jim Knudtson and the answer is the Pure Stocks are racing for points. (Naturally, no bead locks are allowed.)

In addition, there will be no registration fee for any of the classes for this race.

PS72 - Except for the bead locks...

On edit, by the way, I think most of the Grand Stocks at THR fit the class as well as the same cars from Houston Motorsports Park. Check the I-37 web site for rules, and if you aren't racing Saturday, come on down.

still checking but I don't think the grand stocks would fit good with your carb rule, plus we have a lot of fast fuel injected cars

Zoom, yes, your grand stocks would be okay to race here at I-37 Raceway. Bring them on down.

Surely, these won't just be 20 lap races! How many laps are each class going to run?

I would sure hate to spend the gas money to drive all the way out there, just to see three small races.

Not trying to be disrespetful, I just haven't heard any mention of lap numbers in the drivers meetings,

or anywhere else.

Alright everybody, My phone has been ringing off the hook today because of the weather.

Here is a weather update:

Everybody has been getting rain, but us.

The track has NOT received any rain at all. The storms have all gone right around the track.

Yes, there is a slight chance of rain tomorrow, but as of right now, everthing is a go ahead.

IF, and I mean a big IF, the weather changes and we have to change our plans, I have a list of driver's that I will calling and I will have it posted on here, as well as our website as soon as possible.

But I really don't see this happening.

Laps - The Sport Mods and Mods will be 30 laps.

In the Pure Stocks, if we have a full field, they will be a min. 25 laps

See ya'll Saturday!!!

PS72 - Except for the bead locks...

On edit, by the way, I think most of the Grand Stocks at THR fit the class as well as the same cars from Houston Motorsports Park. Check the I-37 web site for rules, and if you aren't racing Saturday, come on down.

hmp does'nt have a grand stock class.

Okay,

All prices for tomorrow's race are the same. We are NOT raising the prices.

Pit Admission:

Drivers: $40.00

Pit Pass: $25.00

General Admission:

Adults: $10.00

Kids 7-10: $5.00

Kids 6 & under: Free

Seniors 65+: $8.00

Military w/id: $8.00

Any other questions, please let me know.

Happy 4th of July to everyone

I hope everybody has a wonderful and safe weekend!!!

Archived