Pay Out

michelle84

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

One reason it's hard to release a payout schedule is that few, if any, tracks actually know how much they can afford to pay until the racers show up and race. If the racers and track draw large crowds of both drivers and spectators, the track could afford to pay more in purse money.

Part of the concern of the drivers planning to race at I-37 Raceway this season seems to be the payout for first place, as no one wants to run a Mod or Sport Mod for a hundred bucks to win. Jim Knudtson and I talked yesterday at the track (and, yes, the track is a lot better, but not yet great) and he said the Pure Stock winner will get at least $150-$200, the Street Stock winner will pocket at least $250 as will the Super Stock winner. The winner in Sport Mod will get $350 and the Modified winner $350-$400.

The total purse will obviously depend on the number of cars entered as well as the amount of money collected from spectators, sponsors and advertisers. As the track is continually working to attract spectators as well as add both sponsors and advertisers, no one knows how much money will be available. We're just hoping income exceeds outgo. After all, if the track doesn't make money, there will be no place to race at all.

Jim and Eric Knudtson and Joe and Jackie Gonzales are working to make the track successful for everyone. In addition to the money the Gonzales have and are putting into the track, they are running ads in the Pleasanton Express and working with local media to get stories in the local papers and other media outlets in Pleasanton, Victoria, Hondo and as far north as Boerne. (At least three stories and one ad have already appeared.)

Hang in there, gang. It's going to be a good season, maybe a great one.

If you're going to use a "per car scale" payout, I might suggest you check out the one Heart O Texas Speeday uses. There's only going to be ONE(1) winner, everyone wants to know what they can expect even if they finish dead-ass last. JMHO-----but what do I know about racing <_<

http://www.heartotexspeedway.com/Purse/2008%20Purse.pdf

If things go according to Hoyle.....I'm going to try to make it opening night.

Yeah i understand what youre saying TQ and very well put, i think everyone just wants a figure. even if you throw up what the pay out was last year and say that is the minimum and pay out will go up as attendance does, or something along those lines, but with the season starting in 4 days, patience is going to be hard to come by.

Not trying to stir the pot, just trying to explain a little

In order to draw car count, a firm payout, all the way to last place, needs to be posted prior to race time. With no "guaranteed" posted payout, I don't think you will get the car count you want or need, then the cars that do show up might be disappointed with their pay and not come back. JMO, but I have seen in the past how important a guaranteed posted payout is.

I understand where you are coming from by wanting to see how much money you make before you commit to a payout, but you have taken on a risk of running a business. I'm sure glad my boss doesn't wait til the end of the week to see how much money we made, then decide what to pay me.

In order to draw car count, a firm payout, all the way to last place, needs to be posted prior to race time. With no "guaranteed" posted payout, I don't think you will get the car count you want or need, then the cars that do show up might be disappointed with their pay and not come back. JMO, but I have seen in the past how important a guaranteed posted payout is.

I understand where you are coming from by wanting to see how much money you make before you commit to a payout, but you have taken on a risk of running a business. I'm sure glad my boss doesn't wait til the end of the week to see how much money we made, then decide what to pay me.

Very well put Mr. Riley

There was an official response by TQ Jones, but you must have missed it.

And last I checked, the phone for the track still works. If someone has concerns about how the track is being managed, they might want to give them a call.

Nick

I must have missed the press release making TQ an official of I-37. I'm not trying to start [edited out by Nick Holt, 3/11/08] but trying to get some info before I decide to pull up and race. Fuel prices are high. Even if we just had a guaranteed payout for this week with the understanding that it may be adjusted in the future depending on circumstances. Not just 1st place but a complete list. JMO

Actions speak louder than words lately...

It sounds like the more drivers that show up and put faith in I37 & the work that they have done, the more they will support the drivers... This first race will set the pace for the season so i sure hope ya'll get the car & spectator car counts...

I went to Killeen last weekend & it sure was nice to see a B feature in Mods. 17 were on the starting line up with only 8 transfering... But they also knew what they were racing for. and got cash at the back gate.

ok.. back to the peanut room

There was an official response by TQ Jones, but you must have missed it.

And last I checked, the phone for the track still works. If someone has concerns about how the track is being managed, they might want to give them a call.

Nick

In fact, Cassie is extremely responsive to inquiries. She will give you an answer if she has it, if not she will do her best to get it for you.

Don in Austin

I wasnt sure if I was right but it appears that more drivers then not are wanting some type of answer before Friday. We are not expecting the numbers to woow us dont get us wrong however I need to make up my mind if I am running news tires or old tires based on your pay. May sound stupid but if its a big drop off from first to third then I need to really try and make it in the top three for good money and try to keep out of the really bad pay off spots. Since I am full of piss and vinegar one thought which would really help you out is to have your purse money in hand ready to go instead of using the the incoming money but i dont know enough to know if thats managable.

I THINK AND IM JUST PUTTING THIS OUT THERE BUT I WOULD REALLY LIKE TO GIVE THE NEW OWNERS THE BENEFIT OF TH DOUBT I GUESS IT COULD BE CLOSED WHATS A COUPLE OF WEEKS REALLY DO U BREAK EVEN WHEN U RACE I THINK WITH OWEN AND THE OWNERS THEY WILL TRY AND DO WHATS FAIR LETS RACE AND HAVE SOME FUN OR TRY TO THEY HAVE REALLY PUT THEMSELVES OUT ON A LIMB FOR RACING IN TEXAS AND I SURE HATE DRIVING SO FAR AWAY WITH CHORPUS IMCA AND I -37 MY PLAN IS TO LEAVE MY PAY AT THE WINDOW QUITE OFTEN TO HELP OUT I KNOW A LOT OF U CANT BUT WE NEED RACING AROUND HERE AND IF I INSULTED ANYBODY I MENT TO SEE YA GREG ;):D

AND IF ITS TO LOW I WILL EASE THE PAIN WITH SOME BLUE GOO OR MAYBE A BRAIN FREEZE WILL TAKE UR MIND OFF OF IT :lol::lol:<_<

Speaking of the BLUE ELIKSER or POTION, Will you have any that can be purchased? I know that may not be possible since its alcoholic. HEB is always out when we decide to pick it up. Just asking if not thats cool.

See you all Friday.

I THINK WE CAN COME UP WITH SOMETHING 4 U SEE YA FRIDAY WE HAVE A MACHINE THAT FREEZES THE STUFF LIKE A SLUSHY

WE DO TAKE TIPS ;)

I agree with Greg Dinsmore. If you go out to the track on work days or test and tune days you see how much work has been done. These people are really working hard to provide us with a first class place to race. The fact that they are starting racing season on the 14th of march gives us more nights of racing but it puts even more pressure on them to get the track ready. I know Jim Knudtson and he has been a successful businessman for years. He didnt do that by taking advantage of people. I think you will find him to be a man of his word. Im sure the same can be said for Joe and Janie Gonzales. Lets think positive and we will all probably have a wonderful first race this friday. There are sure to be some problems and of cours there is going to be a learning curve, but I bet every night of racing just gets better and better. Yea for the 2008 racing season for I37.

John Casey

We will be there ready to race every race night regaurdless of payout. Money is very tight for us and sometimes i spend a lot more on the racecar than i should but i would rather go to the track and race than to set at home and BITCH on the internet. I want to thank the New Owners for taking the chance on reopening the track again. We are also willing to do everything we can to help the track anyway we can all they have to do is call me.

Shane Moore

IF YOU WANT TO RACE SHOW UP. IF YOU DONT, DONT. ITS THAT SIMPLE. SEE YA FRI. NIGHT

I am posting this for Pat Orrick at his request. Below is the email that he sent to me:

++++++++++++++++

Will the people who are so eager to push for a pay out schedule please just race someplace else.

We have been without a place to race for a long time and should all remember very well what it has been like to do without.

These people did not have to stick their neck out financially and burn the last few weeks when they could have been working at proven vocations their families could count on working like ants to get the bleachers up, the restrooms fixed, the water truck fixed, the well pumping and all the other things going on while some watched tv and complained in advance to have something to rag about.

These people have hung out their faith, labor, money, pride, families and time by the hours without one single guaranty they arent wasting it all.

Every one of us knows we will need a racecar, engine,tires, overpriced fuel,truck, trailer, place to work, patience from our family, argument with our neighbors about the noise, smell, parts, etc and we love it enough we cant stay away.

You know the cost of racing and love it enough you wont miss it because the people are for real, the friendships more dear, because racing people arent just talk and hot air.

The other day I told a weary Eric I hoped he would make a million dollars and he said he didn't care if they made any money as long as we could race. They are waiting to see if Kyle will pay its own way this year but it is open. People who love racing and the chance to improve their kids with wholesome involvement just stay busy living.

If you arent building us another track then help with those we have instead of hunting some problem or another. If your car doesn't have tires, or you cant get any, then please keep it to yourself until you can.

Take the opportunity to enjoy putting your money with your friends this Friday. It will be good to see everybody.

Pat Orrick 00 Charger Driver 4 years SAS supporter most of a lifetime.

ive been supportive for the most part just like 90% of the drivers in this area and i believe this problem has been solved without that last comment and also prior to that last comment. Not trying to bash, just feel that was unnecessary.

WELL, first off if your a spokesperson for the track you should be fired for your first comment! secondly you talk about all the cost involved with racing , you are correct and it's getting more costly with gas prices! we race cause we love to race not cause we think we are going to get rich. the average racer that may not have a chance to win but races cause he enjoy's it, he looks at what they are going to pay him when he drives out the back gate. i plan on bringing two cars to pleasanton so i doubled my trip cost but thats my choice.myself and a few others have supported I-37 and the other names it's run under for the past three years mind you driving from corpus to do so. everyone knows these people have made a sacrifice to keep this track open, i appluade them for that but with all the elbow work that goes into a racing facility you also have payouts, schedules and rules that are just as important! waiting till the last minute to post payouts makes people nervous. period! i told my dad he was crazy for driving to plesanton last year and putting in the time he has for very little money(diesel) to help provide a good racing surface for everyone, but ..he loves racing too! and wanted people to have a good track to run on without tearing up their [edited out by Nick Holt, 3/13/08] soi'll get off the soap box and let you guys run with it!! btw.. i'll be at the 15 mod/115 sport mod if you have any questions....and have a great day! i would also like to say thanks to randy yount, the dinsmores and the torres family for coming to STS the first two races of the season.(support) thanks guys

Archived