Meyer Speedway

Midget 85

I'm not trying to be a know it all, but the daytime Meyer Spdwy/Houston clips are most likely from 9/25/'66, which was the last points races held that year for the Houston Modified Stock Cars and the Houston Bronco Stock Cars. The heat races, and 100 Lap Features for each class that day were filmed by a camera/film crew. The Modified Feature Race was won by Charlie Schild in the #1 Car, and the Bronco Feature Race was won by Mike Cronin in the #24 Ford. Being there that day, as well as viewing the film that was transferred to tape in about '85, hopefully I can add some information.As for as the Modified Stock Cars, the #9 Car was Billy Perran, the #7 Car was Bill Blumrick, the #57 Car was Munson Stodder, the #75 Car was Vaughn Brune, and the #22 Car was, I believe, Jess Talbott. As for the #44 Car, definitley Sonny Upton, along with Joe Plowman in the #28 Car, Ronnie Chumley in the #16 Car, Charlie Schild in the #1 Car, Jackie Woosley in the #4 Car, and Jimmy "COWBOY" Johnson in the #33 Car, as identified. Also racing that day were Charlie Ritter in the #51 Car with the Lincoln motor, and Blackie Lothringer in, I believe, the #98 Car. Not sure about the #15 Car, but it may have been driven by Charlie Kittle.The Bronco Stock Cars that day were, most likely, Paul "Butch" McQueen in the #2 Car, Burl Avery in the #5 Car, Clyde Laird in the #6 Car, Bob Godbey in the #7 Car, Jim Koehn in the #8 Car/Ford, Larry Trotter in the #9 Car, Walter Mangum in the #15 Car, Robert Dietsch in the #16 Car, Daniel "Bubba" Remling in the #17 Car/Pontiac, Boyce Locke in the #20 Car, Tommy Medlin in the #22 Car/Ford, Mike Cronin in the #24 Car/Ford, David Shaw in the #27 Car, David Tennison in the #33 Car, A H "Junior" Norman in the #39 Car, Ricky Rice in the #41 Car, Butch Biggs in the #42 Car, Delbert Ready in the #44 Car, Elton Porter in the #45 Car, Pat "Liberty" Henry in the #48 Car/Pontiac, Norman Blythe in the #51 Car, Ed Silvestain in the #52 Car, Len Coursey in the #53 Car, Johnnie Mac Pierce in the #55 Car, Mike Court in the #56 Car, Don Stodder in the #57 Car, Billy Ledbetter in the #58 Car, Harry Rushing in the #60 Car, Tommy Thompson in the #79 Car, Roy Everett in the #84 Car, Lee Hutcheson in the #90 Car, Allan Porter in the #92 Car, and Jimmy Herrin in the #98 Car. Noted are the Pontiacs and Fords, and the rest are Chevys of course.I regret any possible errors, as well as anyone I missed or failed to recall. Also, there are some Modified Stock Car clips from another time, possibly a practice session in about 3/'66, the same day as an ARCA Late Model Stock Car event.

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 760
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 7 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

SONATA_VOLUME-402.jpg

Sign the waiver and pay up.

has these photo's been removed many of them show like this would love to see them... and love all the stories here of the old timers racing ... I just found this site again... my late Grandpa raced and was killed in Dallas and we grandchildren have been searching for more photo's stories what ever we can find about him... his name was Cecil Elliott thanks for all the stories guys...

SONATA_VOLUME-402.jpg

Sign the waiver and pay up.

has these photo's been removed many of them show like this would love to see them... and love all the stories here of the old timers racing ... I just found this site again... my late Grandpa raced and was killed in Dallas and we grandchildren have been searching for more photo's stories what ever we can find about him... his name was Cecil Elliott thanks for all the stories guys...

Whoever posted the pic(s) originally, sinply put up a link to wherever those pics were posted somewhere out there on the internet. Since then, whoever posted them has either removed then from that site or that site has been closed or is not longer a free site. Whatever the reason, the link to those pics is no longer valid and we no longer have access to them. This is why I always recommend posting any pics directly to this site rather than posting a link to them somewhere else.

Sorry about that, but it's out of my control.

Nick

• 1 year later...
  • 4 months later...

I attended the Space City 300 Nascar race at Meyer which was my first race.  I attended what I recall was the Liberty Bell 300 in 1974 which was a race of late models run in three 100 lap segments with pit stops at the end of each segment.  I am sure Mike Murray won the race and dominated leading at the end of each 100 lap segment. Do I recall this race correctly?  Would anybody have the results/finishing order of the race?

Thanks!

On 8/16/2016 at 3:51 PM, mgrisham said:

If you are a facebook member go to facebook and search Meyer Speedway, Playland Park and other Houston Racing Memories, ask to join the group and I will approve you. 

Edited by mfbarnes

• 2 years later...