Midget 85

• Replies 760
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Midget 85,

Trying to save a little room here. My memory of the '37 Ford bodied Modified #5 pictured, is that Smitty drove it as #61 after M J drove it, but I was unaware that the car belonged to him when it was #5. Later, a very similiar car was renumbered #32, and I believe, was driven by Charles Danley. The #32 raced very little, and was kept very near to where I lived at the time. There seemed to be a lot of "traffic" around the residence/garage where the #32 was kept, and I seem to recall hearing about some legal questions arising about some products being distributed from that location in SE Houston. I do believe, that the #5 became #61, and later #32, but I don't think the #61 pictured with crash damage is the former #5, but if I'm not mistaken, I could be wrong. In any event, great history and keep those cars and letters coming.

I have a friend who is trying to find the action shot of MJ actually Flipping the Pink#5. Hopefully he can find that photo so we can post it.

OK, do you recall the 56'Chevy #32 Bronco that ran in 67-68. Someone named "Ken"? I think he worked at a bread plant or something and lived fairly close to me. Don't think he really did much on the track as to winning anything but, since you were into the Bronco's thought you might recall him. Ring a bell?

While we are at it, how about the "Light Yellow" 55' Chevy number 10?

Do we have any photos of the Bronco's?

Edited by Midget 85

Yep that's Sonny in the 44 Meatball Modified

Ronnie Chumley in the #16 Modified

Cowboy Johnson in the #33 Modified

Billy Griswald in the #9 Modified

Jackie Woosly in the Batmobile #4 Modified

Charlie Schilds in the #1 Modified

Bill Brumley in the #7 Modified

"Galveston Gambler" Joe Plowman in the #28 Modified

Don Stoddar in the # 57 Modified

Bill Brumley in the #7 Modified

Blackie Lothinger in the #75 Modified

not sure about the #22 Modified

Could have been Mike in the #24 Bronco.

Okay here's a night race for you to strain your eyes on.

I'd like to see some of these fickled NASCAR driver strap up and get in one of these Modifieds and make a 100 laps at Joe Meyers Place. No power steering, very little suspension, they'd be no coil binding and bump stops here boys. Their might be a couple that could hang. I say Ryan Newman drive 400 laps at Bristol w/o power steering, that was a feat in itself. Oh well Meyers was the place to be.

I'm not trying to be a know it all, but the daytime Meyer Spdwy/Houston clips are most likely from 9/25/'66, which was the last points races held that year for the Houston Modified Stock Cars and the Houston Bronco Stock Cars. The heat races, and 100 Lap Features for each class that day were filmed by a camera/film crew. The Modified Feature Race was won by Charlie Schild in the #1 Car, and the Bronco Feature Race was won by Mike Cronin in the #24 Ford. Being there that day, as well as viewing the film that was transferred to tape in about '85, hopefully I can add some information.

As for as the Modified Stock Cars, the #9 Car was Billy Perran, the #7 Car was Bill Blumrick, the #57 Car was Munson Stodder, the #75 Car was Vaughn Brune, and the #22 Car was, I believe, Jess Talbott. As for the #44 Car, definitley Sonny Upton, along with Joe Plowman in the #28 Car, Ronnie Chumley in the #16 Car, Charlie Schild in the #1 Car, Jackie Woosley in the #4 Car, and Jimmy "COWBOY" Johnson in the #33 Car, as identified. Also racing that day were Charlie Ritter in the #51 Car with the Lincoln motor, and Blackie Lothringer in, I believe, the #98 Car. Not sure about the #15 Car, but it may have been driven by Charlie Kittle.

The Bronco Stock Cars that day were, most likely, Paul "Butch" McQueen in the #2 Car, Burl Avery in the #5 Car, Clyde Laird in the #6 Car, Bob Godbey in the #7 Car, Jim Koehn in the #8 Car/Ford, Larry Trotter in the #9 Car, Walter Mangum in the #15 Car, Robert Dietsch in the #16 Car, Daniel "Bubba" Remling in the #17 Car/Pontiac, Boyce Locke in the #20 Car, Tommy Medlin in the #22 Car/Ford, Mike Cronin in the #24 Car/Ford, David Shaw in the #27 Car, David Tennison in the #33 Car, A H "Junior" Norman in the #39 Car, Ricky Rice in the #41 Car, Butch Biggs in the #42 Car, Delbert Ready in the #44 Car, Elton Porter in the #45 Car, Pat "Liberty" Henry in the #48 Car/Pontiac, Norman Blythe in the #51 Car, Ed Silvestain in the #52 Car, Len Coursey in the #53 Car, Johnnie Mac Pierce in the #55 Car, Mike Court in the #56 Car, Don Stodder in the #57 Car, Billy Ledbetter in the #58 Car, Harry Rushing in the #60 Car, Tommy Thompson in the #79 Car, Roy Everett in the #84 Car, Lee Hutcheson in the #90 Car, Allan Porter in the #92 Car, and Jimmy Herrin in the #98 Car. Noted are the Pontiacs and Fords, and the rest are Chevys of course.

I regret any possible errors, as well as anyone I missed or failed to recall. Also, there are some Modified Stock Car clips from another time, possibly a practice session in about 3/'66, the same day as an ARCA Late Model Stock Car event.

Edited by RETrott

We had a lot of fun that day. Our car broke the left rear axle on lap 98 or 99. I don't know till this day why those other guys spun out right by me a half lap later. I was hoping it wasn't somthing I did. We had spare axles but, no use that late in the race.

How 'bout the times we went to the fights and a dadgummed race broke out............................

Edited by Midget 85

Larry,

Those things are so edited up, the Tape that was given to me came with a box of slides, and some 8mm film reels that I am trying to get transferred to DVD. I wish I had Mack's original stuff because that would be the thing to have. No one seems to know what happened to them, I was told they may have perished in a fire when a garage burned down in Lake Charles. Don't really know for sure. Some of those things are from Daytime shots are from '66 and 65, and were poorly edited. I am just delivering them as I got them, it's just good to have some footage. I have some footage of racing that all of a sudden breaks into some young kids birthday party, and he's blowing out candle's. I just wish I could get my hands on the archive that HMP has. I can't understand, other than it's a pain in the butt and not cheap, why someone over there hasn't put together a DVD or something. All the Big Shows that were put on at Meyers and Big H, it could fill volumes. I've gotten to old and fat to get in a sprint car anymore, of course age it's everything, my good friend Kent Lewis still runs ASCS every weekend. Me I am too busy fixing what the kids tear up. Oh well it makes me happy, but these grand kids are something to watch. I have a 13 year old grandson in Minis and a 15 year old granddaughter in 360's and SST's. I work harder now retired than I did when I was young.

Now the night race I can talk about, the film is not in it's entirety, but it is what it is. It came from 1973 and was shot in B&W 8mm. There were actually two #2's that night and two #7's. This was really nice big show put on at Meyers in 1973. Lap times were fast fast.

The three USAC cars you see are Bill, me and Lee Cade. Lee was in the #2 Sprinter and Myself in the #5 and the #7 was Wild Bill. Bill was having serious injector problems, and never had the car at full song, T-Bird or someone has a picture of Bill sitting in the car floating around somewhere. But even with a car starving for methanol, Bill was all over us. If he would have had all his ponies working, we would have been in real trouble. Lee is suppose to be digging out a bunch of 8mm stuff from our cultured past, the majority of it is USAC stuff in the Midwest, but quite a bit will be from Texas, and a lot of Devil's Bowl stuff. I sat down last February (2007) to try and start sorting this stuff out and it turned out to be a lot more than I thought it would be. I ended up buying a slide scanner, that works really nice, but got burned on an 8mm film converter, (not worth a crap), so I am farming it out by the inch (literally they charge by the inch). eventually I hope to have a nice finished product on DVD. Working on getting together some Moody and Clarey stuff too. My Dad passed away a year ago this month and I am still digging through a lot of his stuff too.

This is some of what's left of those days. Excuse the mess, I am supporting three sprint cars this year and some local boys that just need help, and my shop is a disaster area. I swear I am cleaning it today.

post-3-1205783452_thumb.jpg

post-3-1205783463_thumb.jpg

post-3-1205783476_thumb.jpg

The whole thing was a real fix for us, we were so light and overpowered, the true supers were at a disadvantage. The power to weight ratio was a huge gap.

The #2 true Super Mod was Tony Walters

The #22 sled was Hugh Richards (I'm pretty sure Clay Reeves owned that car)

The #31 Mod Stock was Jimmy McKenzie

The #92 was Dub Rollins I'm pretty sure. (Dub was actually from Corpus)

The #7 Super I think was Jim Gresley

The #6 Super was Billy Perrin I'm pretty sure.

Don't know who the #92 Mod Stock was

Super #11 Jimmy Griggs out of Mobile

I also will be uploading some clips from Almeda, and as I said Moody and Clarey, and several other dirt tracks.

Great job MF. An awful lot of these postings help my memory, and many are things I just don't remember. I recognized the #22 Super Modified driven by Hugh Richards, and I believe also, owned by Clay Reeves. I had totally forgotten the #31 Modified Stock Car, but I knew it looked familiar, and in those days, I knew Jimmy McKinzie. With an exception as a crew member in '85, after the late 70s, I became mostly an occasional spectator, due mostly to age, marriage, and working long hours. In any event, very enjoyable pictures and notes, and very appreciated.