Meyer Speedway

Midget 85

Larry,

Interesting..

As Jim mentioned above this thread, senior moments occur too often

The Hutchinson we are referring to had a younger brother named Robert if this is the same one, and younger brother still lived at home with his parents on the north side.

It is possible that the older brother might have moved since he was older and possibly kept his cars at the parents location on occasion.

I do know the red #55 modified was parked at this location at the Hutchinson home for awhile.

Robert, the younger brother informed us of his older brother purchasing the modified. That's when I had gone over and took a few pictures of the car since I was so interested in the modifieds beasty looks!

Again, I have got to find those photos somewhere.

He possibly re painted the modified and became #76.

If I recall correctly, I don't think Hutchinson raced very long if he indeed did drive it in 68.

Wish I could be of more help and confirm all of this.

The Bronco #90 I think did belong to this guy but probably had it stored elsewhere.

He was sorta stocky and blond headed and about 5'11" tall if I recall and sometimes worked at a local auto parts store on Mt Houston Rd and Hiway 59.

Gee, this is frustrating on my part!

We will keep researching..

-Randy

By the way guys,

Glad to hear Kent Lewis is still at it!

Nice Guy and competitor in the racing world.

Yep, probably will race for time to come and what a way to go!

Edited by Midget 85

• Replies 760
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Randy,

The late Lee Hutchison (sp?), would be about 5'8"/5'9", and raced in '66 & '67. If he missed enough weeks of racing under the 2 yr rule, he may have been eligible in '68, but I just don't recall. Like myself, by that time the expense of racing was beginning to be somewhat of a financial burden for those of us without deep pockets and/or deep pocket sponsorship. The only person I recall from the area you mentioned was Gary Smith, who had the #99 Bronco Stock Car in '68. He was located off Mt Houston Rd, east of Hwy 59. I don't think that am recalling the folks you are discussing, and at this point the only #55 Modified Stock Car I remember from the '60s was Buddy Evans, who owned/built/drove two different late '30s modified bodied Modifieds during that period. Beginning in 8/'62, thru 9/'68, a lot of Bronco Stock Cars, and drivers and crews, passed thru that gate at the end of the front straightaway at Meyer Spdwy/Houston.

Larry,

You are right about the volume of people that passed through those gates!

At the time we were all active, it seemed there would never be an end to Meyer Speedway.

As we look back it's hard to believe how fast it all went by and to think that some people today have never heard of the Meyer Speedway. Kinda haunting isn't it?

We will all have memories of the speedway and remember the roar of the engines that still echo through our thoughts.

Lee Hutchinson does sound familiar and quite possibly the same gentlemen we are referring to. I was unaware of his passing...

Well, let's try another driver. What ever happened to Lee Cade? I think he drove the #92 Modified. Does anyone remember this driver and what happened to him?

-Randy

Talk to Lee Cade all the time. He hangs out on Lake Fork sometimes, travels in his motor-home still trying to sniff fumes, at racetracks. He turns 81 June 8th, his legal residence is the Escapees RV park up in Livingston, but he's all around most of the time. Known Lee for 50 years, raced all over the country with him, not a better friend in the world. I bought Him a 30 lap deal at Texas Motor Speedway for his 80th birthday, and you know that old fart tried to go out and qualify that thing. He stayed on the chip most of the time. instructors on the radio kept jumping his ass about his speed, hell he's about deaf anyway, so he never backed off. We had a great time that day. Hot laps and Hooters Girls, for two ole Buddy's way past their prime. Our wives went to the mall and got even though, oh what the hell, can't take it with you.....

Under TEXAS RACING HISTORY/Old Modified And Super Modified Photos, post #74 (magazine spread-not resized) has some Meyer Spdwy/Houston Modified Stock Cars from about '67/'68. The #52 Car, I believe, is Lee Cade. And, if my much faded memory serves me well, the #52 Car was blue, with silver numbers. But, if I'm not mistaken, I could be wrong.

Thanks Mark for the update. Lee is almost old as Bill White. Has he seen or talked to Bill in recent years? Glad to hear he is doing well. Racing can't be bad for you as many of us have survived well into our "golden years".................................

Lee also drove a Mod Stock #35, I will dig up some pictures of it somewhere. I have some other boxes still to go through. That #35 was owned by Frank and SJ Wells out of Old Ocean, TX I am pretty sure.

Hey Guys,

That's great to hear he is doing OK!

He is a trip alright and enjoyed watching him race over the years.

Didn't know what happened to him..

Edited by Midget 85

I seem to recall Modified racer Jimmy Willis preparing a mid '50s Studebaker for Daytona, but I'm thinking about '64 or so. I don't recall any results information, just reminded when I spotted one of those Studebakers on the video.

I don't remember if it was Jimmy Willis or not, but one of the finest built race cars that ever came out of Houston Texas at that time was a Studebaker Lark. When they got to Daytona, it was all over. The NASCAR official took one look at it and was quoted as saying: "We don't run that kind of s--t up here, load it and leave". Discussion over. Those boys were broken hearted.

Jim,

Wonder what they would have said back then if someone wanted to run a Toyota?

Yep, I would have to agree with that one Jim..

I have always heard that change was good..however I begin to wonder if we took the wrong exit off the freeway somewhere..?

The car I saw was the low slung Studebaker, maybe a Hawk, and probably about a '55 model, and of course, orange. Probably had a Buick motor, but a long time ago and I'm not sure. You should have built one of those Studebakers for the Broncos of the '60s and used that big Ford motor you had, and labeled it Studebaker. Who would have known the difference? Probably would have been caught in '67, but maybe not before then!

I always thought that with some R & D with the engine power range/torque, and gearing, with the handling capabilities, those cars could have been very competitive against similiar era Stock Cars.

Randy, as to your above comment..

Looks like we keep making the same trip and taking that same exit off the freeway, again...and again...

That sounds very familiar Mark. Any description regarding the Modified? My train of thought, without rails of course, is late '50s/'60 at Playland Spdwy/Houston, and/or early/mid '60s at Meyer Spdwy/Houston. Also, the name Jack Cade keeps floating around that space between my ears. Is/was there any connection?

• 2 weeks later...

Meyer Speedway fans..

Does anyone know what happened to all of HB Bailey's cars?

I spoke with a gentleman the other day that used to be part of the pit crew with HB and mentioned the fact that some of the old cars he had at his wrecking yard was still there he thought?

I find that interesting but would guess that the information could be outdated.

Supposedly, the old Playland Park Ford coupe was somewhere in one of his old shops on Almeda.

Does anyone know if that is factual?

I also ran into a local shop in Katy a few months back that had an old Pontiac Firebird 71-73 that according to the story was one of HB's Meyerland NASCAR's he ran on the 1/2 mile. It had been stripped of it's paint but surely looked like an asphalt short tracker with the NASCAR suspension and cage.

Again, I can't confirm any of this but, was wondering if anyone would have a clue to the rumors..

Edited by Midget 85

Almeda Auto Parts, I believe, is now operated by a former employee of H B's. Maybe a lease or lease/purchase arrangement, so there is a possibility of some of those old race cars/parts being "stored". Unlikely anything usable today, but possible historic value.