Meyer Speedway

Midget 85

Randy,

From what I recall, Jerry began racing Stock Cars at Meyer Spdwy/Houston in '71, driving in the NASCAR Limited Sportsman division. The car used, I believe was the '55 Chevy Bronco Stock Car body/frame/suspension that Larry drove in '67, winning the Houston Bronco Championship that year. The pictured crashed car, I believe, was blue and white when raced in '70, but was repainted Coyote Red for '71, and sponsored by A J Foyt Chevrolet. Quite possibly, some usable parts after this crash were used on the '65 Chevelle Late Model Sportsman #7 Car that was built for '72. It began as a light blue, but was maroon in '73. I don't think Bob Stiegel could have straightened the frame on the pictured car, but...

Edited by RETrott

• Replies 760
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Tim,

Definite interest in photos and stories. Especially, the Modified Stock Car #2 that was built in '63, a '37/'38 Chevy Coupe, with the body modified by narrowing and shortening. I saw the car in various stages of build, and would love to see any pictures. From what I understand, it was built as a semi identical twin to the #5 Car that was built in '62, but the body was an inch or two smaller. If I'm correct, it was later blue and #22, and is pictured on this site from about '66. A very unique type of Modified Stock Cars, unfortunately a little too unique to race elsewhere. But, as one can see in the pictures, beautiful racecars, and great racing among some great racecar drivers.

• 2 weeks later...

Randy,

Where were you living (general area) when you lived near the Bronco racer that was possibly named Ken. I'm just trying to remember, but haven't so far. I don't remember everyone, but I make up for it by not being remembered by a lot of those I do remember. But, that can be a good thing. I would love to see some programs from those days, and maybe help on some recall.

Well,

The Bronco driver lived in High Meadow subdivision on the north side of Houston off of Aldine Mail Route Rd. back then, which was close to MacArthur High School.

He had a couple of 56 Chevy's and a strange last name that started with a "K" if I recall and maybe first name was Ray.

In 1968 he hitched a ride in a purple 55 Chevy ( Maybe Pancho's) not sure and I think it was # 22 or possibly #27.

He was sorta tall, thin, and wore a flat top hair cut sandy hair type of guy.

I used to stop by and visit him when he was working on his Bronco since he lived down the street from the chick I was dating back then.

Occasionally he stopped by my house after I had bought my project 55 Bronco that never got off the ground.

He worked for Sunbeam Bread company if I haven't totally lost my memory. Drove a 67 or 68 Chevy truck like a bat out of a furnace everywhere he went.

I think his name was Hillenzager?? or Kilindagger maybe?

It will hit me one of these days and maybe I will snap. I was about 17 years old then and he was in his early 20's maybe. He was by nature kind of high strung fella.

Hope this rings a bell. I will see if I can find his name somewhere. I used to know all these names and numbers and darn if it ain't frustrating when you can't remember like you used to!

-Randy

Edited by Midget 85

Randy,

On page 3 of this section is a picture from what I think is '68, with a purple Bronco Stock Car #72. I'm thinking that the gentleman with the purple shirt and wearing a hat is Cecil Shaw. The car is, I believe a '56 Chevy, and in prior years, Cecil had a purple Chevy Bronco Stock Car #27, that was driven by his son, David Shaw. With the 2 year experience limit, David Shaw may not have been eligible in '68. From what I recall, the Shaws were from Pasadena. On the pictured car, partially visible, appears to be the name of possibly Wayne Hancock, although not in a normal area for the driver's name. Maybe the picture helps, and I seem to recall a reference to a Pancho wearing the hat, but I'm fairly convinced it's Cecil Shaw. As for the other clues, they don't seem to narrow my choices much. Even the bread/bakery part. But, I am curious.

Edited by Midget 85

I know one of the 56 Chevy's was painted brown and was a 2 door hardtop not a post and was #32.

The inverted starts in the feature races always put him on the front row but quickly he didn't stay there long after the green flag dropped.

I think this was 1968 when fellow friend Bubba Nolan was driving the #77 Bronco. I have a picture of Bubba somewhere in my archieves as I went into the pits and talked to him after the race. Gotta find those photos somewhere, hopefully I haven't forgotten where I put those either!

Bubba and I of course went back to the 1/4 midget days also..

As to the mystery driver, I am sure his name is in a program somewhere in 1967-68.

I don't recall him ever winning anything or becoming a serious contender on the other hand and lost contact with him after 1968. Maybe he took Shaw's place??

I think the Bronco division was good for him to get him off the streets in those days. He really had a lead foot but, car and talent never seemed to catch up with him or perhaps bad luck.

I do know for a fact, that he had landed a ride in one of the car owners Broncos in 1968 (possibly one mentioned above this thread). Quite possibly lost the ride as fast as he gained it..

On the other hand, what I recall, the whole darn infield was always full of Bronco drivers and cars reaching to make a name at Meyer Speedway.

Here's another brain twister!

The 55 Chevy # 92 painted blue and orange with blue wheels and a 3/4 Ton front spindle on the right front.

Does that car ring a bell? I know the car was built at a two bay Muffler or fab shop located on Airline Drive near I-45 North near Northline Shopping center area.

Any history on that car or driver(s)?

Edited by Midget 85

That sounds like '67, and Louis Barbley's car, that was new that year. About that time, Louis had a frame repair shop on Airline Dr, just north of Berry Rd. Louis had built the blue #92 Bronco Stock Car that was driven by Don Burton in '63, and then it was sold to Pop Minor for '64. But, back to '67, I believe the car in question showed up several weeks into the racing season, and uh, Mike Court was uh, selected to be the uh, driver. I don't recall if the car ran the rest of the season or not.

Larry?

I think you are right. it was 1967.

I know the owner once told us guys that he knew the car would run, he just needed a driver that could drive it!

I recall after several weeks the car was running in the backfield on most of the races and then one night there was a new driver for #92.

He actually led the race most of the night but was soon surrounded by the fast boys coming from behind toward the end of the race.

He didn't win, but he did make a good showing for the #92.

I don't recall seeing the car either after that night. Sorta disappeared..

Thanks for the info.

Jim,

It was a feature race and if I recall the hungry wolfes in the rear of the pack caught up with #92 about the last 5 to 8 laps!

Good racing at Meyer Speedway for sure!

I always had the urge to drop down in the pits after the race and paint the wheels white so they could be seen on the track. The dark blue wheels were hard to see against the black tires.

Always digged the white wheels, they simply showed up good on the track especially at night..

Tatar was the voice of the speedway like no other. What a sence of humor and added thrill to hear Tatar on the track PA system. He just made it all the better..

Edited by Midget 85

Randy,

You mentioned Bubba Nolan. He did race a Bronco Stock Car at Meyer Spdwy/Houston in '68, but I don't recall any other years. I recall him running competitively against some very good car and driver combinations, and I believe his car, '56 Chevy, was #77. I don't recall any contact with him in over 25+ years, but in Texas Racing History/Meyer Speedway Pics 2, post #13, it looks a lot like him in the background of the picture, off the right rear of the #5 Chevelle Late Model Sportsman. That picture is from '70.

Larry,

the year 1968 for Bubba does sound right.

I took some photos at the track the same night I took of George Nash's modified #24 and caught Bubba near his Bronco along with the red 55 Chevy #45 which I thing was Biggs?

I really believe it was a Blue and White 55 Chevy 2 Door Post with either a Gold or Blue 77 on the side.

That was his quarter midget number also in the late 50's.

All I need to do now is find those blasted photos somewhere!

Thanks, Larry

Edited by Midget 85

Randy,

In this section, I believe post #67, is a picture of a red '55 Chevy Stock Car, #45, that is most likely a Bronco Stock Car from about '66/'67, with Karl Veach and his son, Willie Veach, standing on the passenger side of the car. I believe Karl was the driver at the time of the picture. From what I recall, Butch Biggs raced a '55 Chevy Bronco Stock Car about that time that was #42, and possibly red & silver. By the way, how far along did your Bronco project get?

Edited by RETrott

Thanks Larry, I went back and reviewed page 67 and found pics I had not seen yet. There was even a pic of Roy Tuley with the 88 car. Thanks mark for all the pics.

The pic of the 18 Bronco may not be Sid. Sid and I worked together at Coca-Cola. We used to go a lot of places together. The person in the photo just doesn't look like Sid. The guy that owned the car may have made a driver change.

Thanks Larry,

I have too many projects going on with the classic car shows, restorations and yep, still holding down a day job!

OK, I reviewed the photo on page 3 of this thread and can confirm that it was not this car that the mystery driver drove that was purple. That is a 56' Chevy and I know the other was a 55' Chevy and I sure want to think that it was #27..

You are correct about Biggs. It was a 55 Chevy red and silver and maybe a yellow #42 that I recall. I am glad someone can correct us memory status.

As to my Bronco project, unfortunately not very far. It was a 55 Chevy and had the roll cage completed and I was all fired up with starting the engine.

Still living at home, going to school, and then the paper article of the fatality at Meyer Speedway ended my efforts and support from my parents. My Mom played a huge row in re directing my efforts. I was 16 or 17 then. I took the street rod challenge instead and started building a 57 Chevy Street Rod and began to pursue the girls in school and a local Rock N'Roll Band.

Probably would have been better off sticking with the Bronco...

The 55 Chevy was sold to one of the boys at Meyer Speedway and if I recall it became the #10 Bronco.

Larry Schild had entered the Bronco's in 1967 and I was to be the other Quarter Midget Driver to join in with Larry and Bubba Nolan.

By the way, David Tennyson drove Quarter Midgets also in a Blue #3. Don't recall him winning anything and can't recall how long he stayed in the quarters..

I never stopped racing however and always was involved somehow in the sport although my driving days were halted. So, I just supported everyone else I could and attended the racing scene whenevr I could.

Drove a few stock cars in Minnesota when I was on a job up there but they were a far cry from the southern sport and Meyer Speedway Broncos.

Below is a shot from 1968 with the 57 Street Rod I had just finished...or thought I had finished. Come to find out, you never finish one, you move on to another project or revamp the one you thought you had finished. That's sorta like racing isn't it? Just need more money!

Dig the white socks, surfer haircut, Chevy jacket, and chrome reversed wheels..

Still involved with classic cars today..

post-8338-1209832473_thumb.jpg

Edited by Midget 85

• 2 weeks later...

Randy,

The reason for my curiousity is because I/we purchased a '55 Chevy 2 Door Sedan body/frame with a roll cage and seat that year, but that may have been earlier. As it turned out, we had to merge teams/equipment again and needed other items, and sold the sedan. It was by far the better body, but I preferred the other body/frame/roll cage/RF hub that my partner had purchased. Of course, that roll cage and hub was off an older Bronco that the body/frame was used up, and the Bronco I had recently purchased also had the body used up, and after examination, I decided I/we needed to also replace the cage. I had purchased the other body/frame w/cage from Pat Henry, and paid $100. But, needing the money to get a car race ready, after a crash that severely damaged the frame on another competitor, I/we agreed to sell the extra body/frame/cage to that competitor. When it was picked up, I was told a check would be forthcoming. And, trying to be a good guy and knowing the competitor's Dad, I agreed to collect later. I mean, the guy even had a good sponsor. I sold at cost, with the exception of my keeping the seat, which was needed for the car being built. Actually, we put that seat into the Bronco we raced the previous year that had been sold w/o seat, and I kept my old and once repaired seat. The purchaser of our previous year's Bronco, Kerry Lippies, agreed to the w/o seat deal, but appreciated the seat when it was aquired, and it was a good seat, and usable, but we had already made the switch. So, after a week or so, wanting to race, I went to collect, but could only acquire a partial payment, that came out of "their own pockets". In the meantime, the competitor was racing my formerly owned body/frame/cage. About a week or so later, I went back to the competitor's family owned auto repair shop, and told them I needed the rest of the money. The competitor's Dad went to the office and came back with a couple of customer's checks that he endorsed over to me, and they both indicated that they were having to again spend "their own money", as if expecting me to wait for their sponsor to pay the bill. Fortunately, the checks were good. So, that is the reason for my question about your Bronco Stock Car project in '67. Oh yeah, I see where you mentioned that former '60s era Bronco Stock Car racer David Tennison also raced Quarter Midget Cars in the '50s. I wasn't aware of that...

Larry,

That's interesting..

I can't recall the name of the person that my dad sold the 55 Chevy to back then since I was a in High School that day and when I returned home, the Bronco Chevy was gone.

We lived on the north side of Houston and all I recall was the frustration with parents and the Bronco project that had been halted. I was looking forward to racing at Meyer Speedway.

A fellow friend that drove Broncos down the street and after the two year limit purchased a red 38 Chevy Modified #55 I think relayed the info to someone about the project for sale.

He was a little older than I and came by the house frequently. His name was Hutchinson.. ring a bell?

Anyway, I think his connection to someone at Meyer Speedway led to the 55 Bronco finding a new home.

Like I said, that was a pretty sore subject with me back then..

In the long run, we got over it and moved on with life.

I did find that street rodding was fun however in such that I could drive the car everyday and also led me to meet a lot of fellow street rodders along the way.

What the heck, it was still cars and engine building was no limits!

Full Time ASCS, Kent will race till his last breath. He came by my shop today to pickup an extra fuel pump, and to drop off some heads to be re-worked. Kent knows nothing else but racing, we got him a blue WalMart smock (with a name tag and all) and a roll of smiley sticks as a gag gift last year. He wore it in the pits all weekend. He's still the same ole Kent, never a dull moment. Still very competitive on track also.

Randy,

I knew Lee Hutchinson (sp?), who raced in the Bronco Stock Cars in '66 & '67, and possibly some in '68. For the most part, he drove a red #90, which I recall being a '55 Chevy sedan. From what I knew, he lived in SE Houston in those days. His friend, Harry Rushing, after leaving the Broncos, raced a Modified Stock Car, that I recall being #76. It was, however, very similiar in appearance to the '38 Chevy modified coupe bodied Modified #5 Car, that M J Burton raced in '62/'63. As I recall, that was about '67/'68.