Midget 85

• Replies 760
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 7 months later...
Limited Sportsman 42 car (55 Chevy), then Late Model Sportsman in Brune's old 57' Chevy #77, then a 66' Chevelle #42 (period early 70's)

I remember the later 42 car sponsored by( Baskin Robins Ice cream) Mr. Biggs stored it in my dads shop. In fact Mr Brune raced

it at TWS a couple of times in the mid to late 70s. My dad was good friends with them both. I was born in 68 so my memories

of meyer speedway are all 70s. I have been viewing the pics and man do they bring back the days. Dad took me there all the

Time and now that dad has passed it is nice to remember those days. Thanks to all for the posts I will continue to follow!

• 3 months later...

post-12610-1367873124.jpg

Tried this earlier and it didn't "take" so here goes again - trying to get back into this because it's been awhile - top photo is me, my "uncle" and my dad, with the short-lived "late model" season of 1965...

post-12610-1367873143.jpg

Me and Louis Spurgeon, I believe 1968 - I was home on leave and "pitting" for Louis - gave me entrance to the pits...

Long ago I had posted several photos of Billy Perran from early 1963 and SOMEONE on here said they believed they had a photo of his tweety-bird '37 Ford from 1962 somewhere, and I am still waiting patiently for that SOMEONE to please post it for everyone to see!!!!!

Edited by tommyo

• 3 weeks later...

If you noticed on the #91 Ford that the "mechanic" is listed as "Tommy" on the front fender...

We actually towed this car to Sam Houston High School and rebuilt the engine in the Auto mechanics shop, making a few modifications to the factory stock motor, then towed it back home to the north side of Houston to finish the engine details....somehow I sincerely doubt that too many other Meyer Speedway cars, or portions of them at least, were built in HISD facilities!!!! That "Late Model" series didn't last long, however, and by the end of July I went off the join the Navy so I missed the remainder of the '65 season at Meyer....

• 3 months later...
  • 7 months later...

RETrott, IRT to post #14, it was Buddy Pacluda (SP) who owned the #23 - their previous modified has been the #57 in which Bill Ferris had died in turn one - I actually remember all this because I had dated Buddy's daughter Barbara during this time and had seen the #23 in the garage of the family home many times during the racing season....

• 6 months later...

We welcome all our new visitors to this string of hits reflective of Meyer Speedway! Please share your memories and photos of an exciting and memorable time in racing history.

If we can assist in anyway, please feel free to contact us.

- Randy

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I am trying to get some information on Sonny Catchings whether it be a phone number and/or address. I was a big racing fan of Joseph F. Meyer Speedway back in the mid to late 60"s. I come across an interview on you tube with Sonny Catchings and he seemed to know a lot about Racing, and different Racers of Meyer Speedway. I am from the Houston area and someone told me that he lived in the Houston surrounding area but did not know exactly where. I would really like to meet this man and to be able to talk and re-live the racing memories of Meyer Speedway during the mid to late 60"s.

I am trying to get some information on Sonny Catchings whether it be a phone number and/or address. I was a big racing fan of Joseph F. Meyer Speedway back in the mid to late 60"s. I come across an interview on you tube with Sonny Catchings and he seemed to know a lot about Racing, and different Racers of Meyer Speedway. I am from the Houston area and someone told me that he lived in the Houston surrounding area but did not know exactly where. I would really like to meet this man and to be able to talk and re-live the racing memories of Meyer Speedway during the mid to late 60"s.

Not sure where Sonny is these days. I know the name but do no no him personally. I grew up at Meyer with my Dad racing there and now race at HMP. There are a bunch of Meyer speedway racers still around that you can see and talk to at HMP on race days. Chevk the HMP scheduled for Nascar Saturday racing events.

• 2 months later...