Meyer Speedway

Midget 85

• Replies 760
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

HEY RICHARD RAY GOOD TO SEE THE PHOTOS OF THE CAR AT MEYERS IN THE PHOTOS YOU POSTED I SEE PHILS 2 CAR I WORKED ON I REMEMBER HIS SHOP ON CRAIGHEAD HE OWNED BOTH LOTS NEXT TO HIS SHOP WHEN I WORKED WITH HIM IN THE MID 70S I STARTED HELPING PHIL WHEN STARTED RUNNING AT BIG H MAYBE YOU STAYED IN THE HOUSE ON THE COUNER

Phil's yard and mine touched in the back, I had the big St. Bernard dog. Phil's son and mine hung around a lot, in fact my first Grandson was also named Dwayne in his memory... My house was around the corner on Roseway, was there for 16 years...

Richard

hey richard your quote clears up where you lived by phil i rember on night phil and i where working on his race car we went in the office to have a cold one when your dog came over and phils dod got into a fight right in the office door phil had to get on his desk to get out the way made the night interestin

Edited by norman

Norman:

I remember the dog fight, Phill's guard dogs would rush over to my fence every morning when they were let out and bark at George. I warned Phil that one day he'd break lose from the custom made chain, sure enough he did and nearly killed one of Phil's dogs and got Phil during the melay. Phil ended up with stiches... What happened to Phil? Is he still alive? I'm way up in far NE Texas now...

Richard

richard that was one night to remember when i worked for phil i opened the shop in the moring his dogs would run to the back and meet your dod and say hello has far has phil he passed away in the mid 90s phil was a good freind and one of the best drivers to race in texas

hey midget i remember going out to meyers during the week with phil and taking the pace car that they used at the trak for repair at phils shop do you remember the lady that worked in the office at meyers she was a nice lady she had to be easy going to work for ed

Edited by norman

I recall an incident in the late '60s/early'70s time frame that occurred in turn 1/turn 2, involving a Sprint Car during a Supermodified event that resulted in the car getting upside down and the rollcage failed. As I remember, the driver was not seriously injured and very lucky. I'm thinking that driver was William Smith, who I believe was a long time crewmember for Jackie Woosley, and/or Billy Perran. I'm just curious if anyone recalls the crash, and/or details. :unsure:

post-12610-1303753900.jpg

I believe this is the car you were refering to. This photo is undated, but from 1970. I have the owner as J. Watkins and the driver is W. Smith, so it must be William. Unfortunately this

is the only photo I have of the incident - Just for the record, the car was numbered 22.

Edited by tommyo

Tommy,

The Sprintcar with the heavily damaged roll cage appears to be the results of the accident I described. As can be seen, very scary, and I have to wonder about the integrity of that roll-bar and added cage.

I believe the driver is William Smith, and he is pictured in Meyer Speedway Pics 2, Post #86, 5th photo from top, pictured with Billy Perran and his #6 Modified. Also, in Meyer Speedway Pics 2, Post #120, pictured with Jackie Woosley and his #4 Modified, on the left with cap and sunglasses. Those 2 pictures appear to be '64-'65. :blink:

Edited by RETrott

• 3 weeks later...

OK, no pictures today, just a Meyer Speedway memory, sort of...

In 1964, as with many teen-aged boys, I was into building models - ships, planes and particularly, cars.

I built a model, pretty much from scratch, of M.J. Burton's big, beautiful #5 car. I took it, one Saturday evening early in May, to the announcers booth and asked Ed Hamblin if I could present my model to M.J. - being only 16, I obviously had no access to the pits - Ed said yes, and during an intermission right before the evenings Modified feature race, I gave my model to M.J. on the front-stretch in a short-informal ceremony. M.J. was really appreciatative and thanked me for the car, and I left thinking that was the end of the whole thing.

About a week later I received a hand-written thank-you note from M.J. in the mail, and enclosed in the card was a single ticket to the up-coming Indianapolis 500, which was being shown via closed-circuit television at one of the downtown theaters - I don't remember if it was the Metropolitan or the Majestic - and this was obviously before ABC's flag-to-flag coverage of today.

My dad dropped me off at the theater with popcorn and soda money in hand and I quickly found a seat - I don't remember if it was a reserved seat or not, but I had arrived early and set in the center, about half-way back - I guess it wasn't a reserved seat - anyway, I was excited about seeing the race which I obviously wouldn't have gotten to see on regular television.

The pre-race ceremonies ended and the race began - we were all on our feet, I remember that for sure. Things went well until the 2nd lap, when Dave McDonald spun into the inside wall just off turn 4 on the main stretch and the rest is history. The race was halted and we waited, silently, for the track to be cleared and for the race to get underway again. I had gone to the pay-phone and called my dad, who knew about the accident because he was listening on the radio.

It was nice, a couple of hours later, to see our own A.J. Foyt take his 2nd 500 Mile victory. I have to tell you though, that I couldn't get that big-screen image of the accident and fire out of my head for several days. Although I really enjoyed the race, it was pretty traumatic for me to actually see two drivers die right in front of me. It was probably the most traumatic thing I'd ever seen, right up to landing in Danang 3 years later.

I guess I had forgotten the experience pretty much until I recently saw Randy's pictures of M.J. at the Birthday party earlier this year at the Carriage House. It was nice to see M.J. again and to know he's still with us and seemingly doing well.

Thanks, Randy, for that little boost to trigger those old memories! And thanks to you too, M.J., if you're reading this - all these years later, pretty much only the good memories from that day remain, and I still appreciate the ticket!!

Thanks Papa - I haven't forgotten your John Rezek pictures! I have to rescan them all in since I'd already re-sized the previous posted photos - to be honest I've been really lazy lately, at least as far as posting photos - you can probably tell: there hasn't been any in a while! I'm in the slow process of retiring at the moment, but in the meantime, work, yardwork and honey-do projects are keeping me pretty busy.

It's not that posting the photos is hard work, but it is time-comsuming. I actually have a few of your photos rescanned already and hopefully, I will get the others done and sent to you e-mail address - please hang in there a bit longer!

• 5 weeks later...

Regarding the Super Pics in post #189

Sorry Im a couple years late ;)

The 24 looks like one of the Indy roadsters converted for modified racing. I'm certainly not an authority, but it looks that way to me.

It has somewhat of an offset/roadster look Jim, but I don't think it was ever an Indy Roadster. This car came to us (Carroll Cheek Racing) in this basic configuration. It was always called an "Oswego Roadster". Rumor had it that it had run at Indy in its day but there was never anything to substantiate it. The car looked like it had been in a barn for years when we got it and of course got a full frame up restoration.

The John Zink car is what I had in mind. Similar lines. Most likely the hood and nose were changed in the conversion, Maybepost-3-1213885117_thumb.jpg

post-4772-1213883199_thumb.jpg

post-3-1213885125_thumb.jpg

JIM, THE 24 SUPER IS BUTCH HARRIS AND THE CAR WAS OWNED BY CARROL CHEEK. THIS WAS AN EAST COAST SUPER MOD. THEY RACED IT WITH US UNTIL CARROL BOUGHT A BILL HITE REAR ENGINE CAR AND THEN THEY STARTED RACING AT OSWEGO NY. AS FOR THE QUESTION ABOUT WALDO HARPERS CAR AND WHY IT DID NOT HAVE A WING IN 1970 BUT HAD WING MOUNTS, YOU CAN ASK DAD BUT I'M PRETTY SURE THAT THE SUPER RULES WERE SET UP TO READ IF YOU DID NOT STADDLE THE DRIVESHAFT YOU COULD NOT RUN A WING. THAT WAS A RULE THAT HELPED EQUALIZE THE PLAYING FIELD FOR THE UPRIGHT SUPERS AND SPRINTERS AGAINST THE REAR ENGINE AND LEFT HAND ENGINE MOUNTED CARS. BY THE WAY I BELIEVE THIS CAR 24 ROADSTER IS IN A MUSEUM IN FULSHER TX. ASK DAD IT BELONGS TO A KATY POLICEMAN AFTER HIS DAD PASSED AWAY.Good information. I never knew where that car ended up. Small correction....this car came AFTER the destruction of the famous #24 Rear Engined Hite car. Something to keep playdays going.

Butch was never able to get this car to turn well and stopped driving it after a while. Ronnie Burke of Huston said he could drive it and did fairly well but mentioned one day that his brother Jackie was really suited to a car like this. Jackie Burke of Houston stepped in and it seemed to be a match made in heaven. He drove it quite well the rest of its days in the Cheek stable.

One of the REALLY interesting notes about these pics is the wing that is shown. Carroll had purchased a McLaren chassis from AJ Foyt during this time and was rebuilding it getting it ready to run. The wing shown in these pics is the wing off of that car! Thats why it looks so dang small...lol

Shane Reves

Edited by DeadRoman

• 4 weeks later...

i was working on phil cronins latemodel at meyers in the mid 70s he had a man that helped him when phil was running the 13 car and some when phil drove the camaro number 2 i rember callig him buzz or john abshire was his real name does any one know what he doing

Yep that's Sonny in the 44 Meatball Modified

Ronnie Chumley in the #16 Modified

Cowboy Johnson in the #33 Modified

Billy Griswald in the #9 Modified

Jackie Woosly in the Batmobile #4 Modified

Charlie Schilds in the #1 Modified

Bill Brumley in the #7 Modified

"Galveston Gambler" Joe Plowman in the #28 Modified

Don Stoddar in the # 57 Modified

Bill Brumley in the #7 Modified

Blackie Lothinger in the #75 Modified

not sure about the #22 Modified

Could have been Mike in the #24 Bronco.

Okay here's a night race for you to strain your eyes on.

Just a quick little correction, MF - #7 Modified was driven by Bill BLUMRICK - he was my uncle. Passed away November 2001.

I SEE PHILS 2 CAR I WORKED ON I REMEMBER HIS SHOP ON CRAIGHEAD HE OWNED BOTH LOTS NEXT TO HIS SHOP WHEN I WORKED WITH HIM IN THE MID 70S I STARTED HELPING PHIL WHEN STARTED RUNNING AT BIG H MAYBE YOU STAYED IN THE HOUSE ON THE COUNER

PhilCroninCamaro5-2.jpg

PhilCronin2a.jpg

• 1 month later...
Regarding Post # 379

Hey guys..

I remember Ray driving an orange 56 Chevy at Meyerland and also getting upside down with a few Barrel Rolls on the front stretch in 1968.

This is not the the guy I am trying to identify.

The mystery driver I am referring to was name Ken something.. and I just need to find an old program from 67-68 to find his name among the Bronco drivers during his brief racing career.

How about the name Kenneth Hilzendeger splng. first car #32 yellow

worked for Hostes Bakery. Lived off of Adine Mail RT.

High Meadows.

second car # 27 purple and white dont know name of owner

but pulled to the track with a chevy one ton steak bed painted same

as car. around the years of 1967 8 9.had new chevy Pickup.

with the super expencive hubcaps.

Yep,

That's him alright. I remember the #32 Bronco as Brown colored but it might have been yellow before that. He lived near me in those days and yes it was High Meadows subdivision,

You are correct about the Purple #27 Bronco he drove in 1968 but I too can't remember the car owner. We know it wasn't Pancho Locklin.

• 2 weeks later...

Well that fella your talking about If I am not mistaken was Kenneth Hillzeindeger.

started out driving # 32 yellow bronco either a 55 or 56 can not remember today. lived south of

Aldine mail Rt. in high meadows. worked for one of the bakerys drove a route.

needed work on his two wheel trailer. Stopped by our house asked dad to help.

sure glad he did thats how I got to my very first race we went to watch him.

later he got a ride in purple 55 or 56 # 27{I have seen pics of #72 not sure} pulled to the track by a matching in color

one tone chevy. Now he moved over to the Heights just north of I10 east of

Sheperd . from there he the last I saw of him he moved to Bay Town off 146

south of I10 bought a convenence store and ahouse in the neighbor hood behind it.

I used that trailer for several years to tow dads modified to Navasota.

I bought Peanut Jeffcoats #21 bronco made a dirt car ordered tires from

Ronnies Big ten tires on Washington ave my MOM found out and between Ronnie talking to her for over at least one hour {she was not a happy camper} and the help of Mr Hillzendeger

I was finaly allowed to begin my my foundest memories.

I had a lot of pics but a good many got lost to the first flood still looking.

We do appreciate the information and feedback,

That's what I like about this site as sooner or later someone will read and contribute information filling the gaps that were some time ago!

He only drove the purple 27 Bronco for a short while ( 1968 )and he worked for Sunbeam Bread company when I knew him.

The Chevy truck he drove was Blue and on the streets you would have thought he was on the track. He passed me up on Aldine Mail Route one day must have been doing 90!

What a guy but friendly when visiting him at his house.

I remember him pulling the battered up body of one of his early Bronco's and he had another hull ready to slip over the frame and chassis sitting in the yard. Neighbors were sorta complaining though..

Can't remember Ken ever winning but possibly did. His career was rather short.

hey midget85, who are you? If you lived out here back then pretty sure we are aquanted. I grew up off of Canino rd . I can remember when it was a dirt road that deadended before Hardy so been here a long time .

I knew Mr. Harris Ricky Cecil Del and all that bunch . Billy Griswold and Roy Cody both would

both wow up in the center of the corns forced me to almost stop the y took off like a batout of well. you know So I kinda learned to drive from following them and James Starkey and Bill White.

so who are you???

Danny Wilson 5b

OK people, I only went to 1 race, I think in 1968 at Moody/Clary Speedway in Navasota, so I'm certainly no expert on ANYTHING that ever happened there...however...

post-3-1316214744.jpg

I took this picture off the open wheel section of this site...other than the enlarged rear window, doesn't this car look like...

post-3-1316214616.jpg

this car of Jackie Woosley from 1964...the hood/grill combination, fashioned by Billy Perran, is too similar NOT to be the same car!!