Meyer Speedway

Midget 85

Tommyo,

If you talk to Carol again, I wish you could get some details/history on the modified '37 Chevy Coupe Modified Stock Car #11. It appears to be white in color, although the picture is b/w. Jakdad and I are both out of memory regarding that car. And, that is strange considering Fred Furlow's prestige as a race car owner. :blink:

• Replies 760
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The Browning Furlow Mod was in fact stolen after a race at the speedway.They had parked the rig at the shop location and were all out celebrating the win. About 45 to 60 days later the Suburban and trailer with the cut up car was found on an old shell county road in Ft, Bend County. The running gear as I remember it was gone. Several years later a guy came into Luther's machine shop with a motor and inquiring on how to tune the injectors and some additional work. Luther immediately recognized the motor as the one he had built for The Browning -Furlow mod several years back and called the PD along with Browning -Furlow and I never found out if any other parts were recovered. It was hard to believe that someone had cut up such a fine modified but its still happening today.

That would be awesome and maybe we can solve the mystery.

Tried to call Larry but could not reach him. Must have changed numbers..

I talked to dad last night he said Macon and Kelley bought this car from Bill White and he drove the car for quit a while until he decided to start driving his own car. Larry was picked to replace Bill but after only a few races Larry stopped driving the car and Bill started driving it again. The wing on this car was unpainted for a while but he can't remember why, thinks they may have been trying something new. Dad did say he has some supermodified pictures from this timefram, he's going to try and get them out and go through them in the next couple of weeks.

My dad is Vernon Mullins who wreched on the Kelley/Macon cars during this time, I will show him this post later this afternoon to see if he can answer any of the questions from this and previous post about the #2.

For whatever it is worth, quite possibly because of Larry Schild's NASCAR LateModel Sportsman duties, he may have not been able to compete in all Supermodified events. Once again, a supposition, but he was "full time" in LMS during that period.

Re: Bill White. What Modified was Bill White driving when he and Jackie Woosley crashed, and was that '68 or '69? Maybe this has been covered before, but my memory bank is a little low on funds. :unsure:

The Bill White/Jackie Woosley crash

This was in 1969, I checked one of my old programs, White was driving the blue #2

(tall) car. Woosley never raced again after this accident, he was in the yellow #8 Edmonds

car owned by Bill Breasher. Other notes, James Woosley was listed as the driver of the

purple #4 that Jackie had previously driven.

thanks, Byron

Thanks Byron. I knew which car Jackie Woosley was driving, but I wasn't at the speedway the night of the crash. And yes, his injuries prevented any more race car driving. And, I had not known about Jackie's brother James racing a Modified, but I knew he owned a Bronco Stock Car in '66, driven by Burl Avery. It was a '56 Chevy, blue #5.

• 3 weeks later...

Meyer Speedway Legends

I was recently invited to a surprise birthday party for Dodie Burton who was the former wife of the late Don Burton from Playland Park / Meyer Speedway days.

A call from Denny Burton to come to the party, so I grabbed my camera and headed out.

Below are a few photos I snapped of the legends and other family members that were also attending the party.

It was good to see these people once again!

Hope you enjoy..

post-8338-1299373032.jpg

George Nash #24 Modified

post-8338-1299373050.jpg

Ronnie Chumley #6 Modified

post-8338-1299373212.jpg

MJ Burton #5 Modified

post-8338-1299373251.jpg

Birthday Girl Dodie Burton

Below, MJ Burton and Charlie Schild in discussion on who was the better driver at Meyer Speedway and who was burning the funny stuff in the tanks..

post-8338-1299374480.jpg

Many of us remember these people and reflect back on them with an image of a younger time.

It is important to note how quickly time passes and our duty to preserve our heros of the circle tracks and what pleasure they gave to us all at Meyer Speedway.

The half mile stormers are reaching their "Golden Years" now

We will all get there someday and we wish them many enjoyable memories of the racing days passed.

More photos coming..

Tommy,

Absolutely! :D

Matter of fact, Charlie and I were looking over some of those carriages and trying to come up with an idea or two on converting them to a modified!!

We had a wonderful time..

More of the legends and friends

post-8338-1299377969.jpg

Raymond Walker - Race Car Builder

post-8338-1299377984.jpg

Ronnie Chumley

post-8338-1299378368.jpg

Sharon Chumley

post-8338-1299378026.jpg

MJ Burton / Charlie Schild.. still discussing the better driver..

post-8338-1299378170.jpg

Melinda ( Wade ) Swanson - Daughter of the late Billy Wade

post-8338-1299378182.jpg

Stella Wade - Widow of the late Billy Wade

post-8338-1299549366.jpg

Peggy Trotter

and the debate continues ..

post-8338-1299378041.jpg

More photos

post-8338-1299645836.jpg

post-8338-1299645858.jpg

post-8338-1299645929.jpg

Randy, Larry, Denny, Larry Robertson

post-8338-1299645836.jpg

MJ and Charlie still at it..

post-8338-1299646490.jpg

OK, no photos this time. I'm still trying to fill in my "missing years" at Meyer and before. I need help in filling out this list.

I know Charlie Schild was the modified champion at Playland in 1959, but beyond that, I have no idea who won what championships there. Help!!

OK Meyer now. Here's the the list of track champions I know of at Meyer, please help fill in these missing years!

1961 Modified, Billy Wade

1962 Modified, M.J. Burton

1963 Modified, Bill Blumrick

1964 Modified, Billy Griswold

1965 Modified, George Nash

1966 Modified, Charlie Schild

1967 Modified, George Nash

1968 Modified, Bill White

1969 Modified, Joe Plowman

1970 Modified - unknown and sad because I was THERE!

1971 Modified, Munson Stodder

and I have NOTHING after that - again sad, because I was THERE!

1963 Broncos, Paul Maire

1964 Broncos, Tony Barcelona

1965 Broncos, Munson Stodder

1966 and 1967, unknown

1968 Broncos, Bob Brewer

Now what was the last year for the Broncos and the 1st year for the NASCAR LMS cars?

I know Joe Holly was the 1970 LMS champion and Ronnie Chumley the 1971 LMS Champion - Again, I was THERE in 1972 and I don't even know who won the

LMS championship - I'd like to say it's on the tip of my tongue, but...

Help me out here guys!!

Tommyo,

Delbert Ready, driving a yellow Chevy Bronco #44 was the '66 Bronco Champion, and Larry Schild, driving his red, white, and blue Chevy #7 was the '67 Bronco Champion. Well, it was blue and white, with possibly some red. The last year for the Bronco Stock Cars was '68, and in '69 the NASCAR Late Model Sportsman events began. But, I thought Little Joe Holley, driving a '57 Chevy LMS was '69 Champion. The '72 NASCAR LMS Champion, just a guess, may have been Phil Cronin. At Playland, the '60 and last Modified Champion was Buddy Evans, driving a modified early '30s coupe, possibly a Ford body/chassis, red #55.

CORRECTION: The Larry Schild '55 Chevy Bronco Stock Car from '67 was the #2 Car! :rolleyes:

Edited by RETrott

Larry,

Close, Larry Schilds Bronco was Red on top, white in center section and blue on the bottom and had a gold # 2 on the doors not 7 ;)

The pictured Rush Johnson Associates Late Model race car with a Nova body and raced as #11 by Larry Schild, had to be '76 or later. I believe Mike Dugi (sp) was the crew chief for RJA racing in the late '70s. Rush, I believe, passed away in '80, after suffering a stroke.