Meyer Speedway

Midget 85

• Replies 760
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I guess my memory is a little different. I definitely remember the line up by points, but I'm thinking last weeks feature winner started scratch in the next week's feature, along with anyone who missed the last week's events. That being said, in my mind, during the '63 season, Don Burton came from the rear in most of those features with 30+ car fields. And yes, Don had a lot of racing experience, but so did a few other drivers racing Bronco Stock Cars that year. Of course, the weeks he didn't win gave him a closer to the front starting position for the next week's feature. If you recall, we, us, they came up with a point average system later so as to not penalize the racers that raced all season, although, as I recall, the previous week's feature winner still started scratch the next week. The points average system became the norm in about '65 or '66, the way my memory has it.

As for Studebaker leaf springs, yes they seemed to be a good choice. Going back to '63, prior to the start of the racing season, and the first full season for the new Bronco Stock Cars, Tracy Trotter and some friends built a '53 Studebaker Stock Car. It was stock! The stock engine received new rings and bearings, along with a Telephone Rd (Auto Parts Supplier) valve job. The glass and upholstery was removed, and another friend welded in somewhat of a roll cage. We took the rear leaf springs to the race shop on Fulton St and Don Burton and hammer adjusted the arching of those leafs. He was impressed with those springs, and I believe a set of Studebaker leaf springs were installed on the M J Burton '62 Meyer Spdwy/Houston Modified Stock Car Championship winning car for the upcoming '63 race season. As far as I know, those springs stayed on the car. As for the Studebaker, after some primer and a painted on number, along with some Vancleve tires/recaps, and new shocks, it became the # 14 Bronco Stock Car for '63 and part of '64. To my knowledge, it was the fastest Bronco Stock Car ever built on St Lo Rd.

Edited by RETrott

At the races, Tater Pete Hunter's self introduction was often, "This is Ole Tater talkin attcha, I'll be doin the pronouncin". I also remember listening to Tater Pete on his midday radio show from "KTLW, Texas City Texas, 920 on your dial". When he advertised a former club on the Gulf Frwy, he often said that they "Have dancing eight days a week, Sunday through Sunday, count em". I remember a couple of his Stock Cars being # 92 to coincide with the radio station dial #. As for his lineup description, I kinda liked it. Still do.

Edited by Midget 85

Oh yeah, the red #92 I remember was parked at D&D Speed Muffler Shop owned by Don Burton on Fulton.

I used to sit in it as a kid when visiting Denny Burton. We always pretended to be driving at Playland! That was around 1958. Don and Dottie were good people.

I believe it was an old 38' Ford Coupe, possibly a 37'..but seems like the grill was a 38 best I remember. At least that is the one I remember.

Speaking of Don's old shop, I remember the Pink 32 Ford Modified being tuned at the shop for MJ Burton. It was #58 and the flared header pipes really sang a tune!

We need more "Tatar Petes" in todays racing ring.

Keep the memories flowing and tell us more.

Question? Who had the shop on Homestead Rd in the mid 60's and also built Larry Schilds first modified for Meyers? Someone said it was RED Garner? I do remember the shop had built Barcelona's 38'Chevy Modified and was parked on the side of the building. The car was Blue and White #58 in 1967. If I recall there was a used car lot in front of the shop. Need help with that one...

The Modified that was being built for Larry was pieces.. or rearend of a 59 Ford if I recall and orange #8. It was driven by Larry in 1968, the year he entered the mods. Seems like I saw it in one of the photos on this site with Charlie and Larry in the background. Just curious if anyone knows who we are talking about here?

********************************************************************************

Someone once told me the Green #5 of Ballards Modified was built from a "Volvo Body"? I thought back then it looked like maybe a 46 or 48 Ford Sedan of course highy altered in length and such. Does anyone know if that is true?

Midget85 you are right on! I talked with Sonny the other day and he told me the car started life as a 48 Ford tudor sedan. He lelped on that one so he saw it from the start. That's another car he would like to find. He has been wanting to restore an old Modified for some time but they're hard to come by.

Midget85,

Your memory of the late '30s Ford Coupe Stock Car # 92 matches mine. It raced in the Stock Car class, and was not a Modified, and I believe it was owned and/or sponsored by Tater Pete Hunter and his radio show. As for the pink early '30s Ford Coupe bodied Modified Car # 58, it was raced in the Houston area in the mid '50s, driven by Buddy Rackley. And, it may have been a Super Modified in those days. In the late '50s and '60, it was raced as a Modified at Playland Spdwy/Houston by M J Burton. Absolutey, my favorite Modified of that era, with it's somewhat unique look. While most of those cars had the body/frame channeled, it had the body on top of the frame and the top was chopped. I'm not sure, but that car may have been updated with a '37 Ford Coupe body and raced as # 5 at Meyer Spdwy/Houston in '61.

As for Homestead Rd/Houston, that sounds like Bill Breashear's place. At one time, he had a used car business and shop in that area as I recall. Somewhere on this site, there is a picture of a red/orange Modified Car # 8, that looks like a modified '59 Ford body on it, and Bill Breashear, Charlie Schild, Larry Schild, and another gentleman that I think I remember, but am not sure. It appears to be '68, and most likely driven by Larry Schild at the time.

Edited by RETrott

Yes, I vaguely remember that old "High Boy Coupe". A friend of mine named Mac had one of those that he ran at Austin every week in 61 to 62. A beautiful little blue car. Mac had a used car lot and shop in Kileen near Ft. Hood. The memory of the Playland car is hazey....................

Well fellas ..you are right. Finding one of these old modifieds is like looking for gold for sure. Maybe we need to just start cloning some of the relics by some of these builders like Sonny that know how they were built.

Heck I'm all fired up to try and build one myself that would be a clone of one of them since we can't seem to find one anywhere. Of course you would start a war with today's street rodders if you even suggested cutting one up to be a modified body..say a 38 Chevy.

They all blame the circle track boys for destroying all the 55-56 Chevy's and old coupes on the circle tracks.

But guys, there were plenty of them in those days to become stockers and modifieds... I think...

As to Ballard's car, I thought I was right about the body, but wanted a second opinion. Glad I asked. Thanks, I can rest now knowing it was a 48' Ford Sedan after all.

Great Picture Guys!

I'm a little behind with the times. Is Norman still with us?

Wasn't that car Red & White? Refresh my memory please..

You are right about Tatar! I used to try and talk like him while driving down the road with pictures of Modifieds racing in my head!

Man I miss those days!

A very great picture of a '50s era Houston Modified Race Car. Long time Houston Stock Car/Modified Car racer Norman Pierce, I believe, passed away some years back. The picture looks somewhat like the Washington Ave tire store location, but really just a guess. If 7-58 noted is the correct date, most likely the car pictured raced weekly at Playland Spdwy/Houston. I have no specific memory of this car & driver combination, but I seem to recall Norman racing a # 1 Car(s), as well as # 98. I do remember a somewhat similiar looking Houston Modified # 1 Car that was possibly red & white, that was driven in '59 by Tim Cates/M J Burton, and later by Buddy Rackley. That '59/'60 era # 1 Modified, or a new car, was brown & tan at some point. So, I have to wonder if the pictured car is the same car I remember.

You know..it's very sad to hear of how many of our heroes have moved on to another deminsion in life. It only seems like yesterday we would see the green flag drop and the roar of the engines. .. all that is left with some of those memories.

Well guys, I will keep looking for photos somewhere in my shoe boxes. It's a wonder I have any left after all these years.

Was anyone at Meyerland the night Parnelli Jones beat AJ in a Sprint Car powered Chevy. AJ was driving a AJ Watson "OFFY" #2 and Parnelli a ragged old Chevy Sprinter maybe #98 and beat him on the last lap. This might have been 1960 -61.

Anyone remember that?

At Playland Park, seems like there was a driver named Tony Madina or Medina? Saw him flip a 30 Coupe after someone gave him a little nudge in the back end on the backstretch. If I recall didn't Tatar announce at Playland also during the final days?

Edited by Midget 85

Midget85,

I saw the 1st USAC Sprint Car Race at Meyer Spdwy/Houston, and it was on a Sunday afternoon in October '59. I recall Parnelli Jones' #51 Car qualifing on the pole and A J Foyt Jr's #2 Car 2nd fastesest, and I believe, Billy Griswold's #? Car 16th fastest in a field of mostly USAC open wheel drivers. Apparently, the start of the feature was waved off once or twice, after Parnelli jumped the start, possibly with a little help from A J. When the green flag dropped, Parnelli's car had trouble getting up to speed and dropped to last place, but Parnelli's #51 Car came back to finish 2nd behind A J's blue #2 A J Watson Sprint Car. A few more laps, Parnelli might have won, but it would not have been easy. The USAC Sprint Cars did race at Meyer Spdwy/Houston in '60, but I have no recall, and quite possibly was unable to attend.

As for Tony Medina, he possibly raced some at Meyer Spdwy/Houston but I'm not sure, although I do remember him racing at Playland Spdwy/Houston but do not recall the specific incident mentioned. The only announcer I remember at Playland Spdwy/Houston is "Tater Pete" Hunter.

If I remember right, the night Tony flipped, he was comming after people in the pits. Tony was an ex pug and knew how to throw a punch. One of the guys he caught up to was laid out cold. He went after another friend of mine who had the good sense to jump into his tow truck and leave. They were OK next week. Just racin' .......................... :D:D

I remember Sunday afternoon on 9/25/'66, after the races in the turn one/infield near turn two at Meyer Spdwy/Houston. A lot of folks had left, and we were leaving, but we went out onto the backstretch near turn two going clockwise to the frontstretch/turn one pit gate, but stopped when we saw the activity. By that time, Burl Avery was down with a bleeding head wound, James Woosley was holding Jimmy Herron's Dad down, and Jimmy Herron had Jackie Woosley pinned down. Tracy and myself, verbally and physically seperated Jimmy and Jackie, and as soon as he was convinced the incident was over, James released Mr Herron. That was the filmed race, and the Jimmy Herron #98 Bronco Stock Car wall crash in turn two late in the race caused the incident, as well as the #5 Bronco Stock Car/Driver Burl Avery being DQd for rough driving.

Edited by RETrott

Jim,

I recall the old model A top was just a shakin like jello after the flip as he landed back on his wheels and rolled into the infield.

Tatar said, "Well he's a little shakin but doin fine folks...What Happened? he exclaimed...better slow you self down son"

It's almost like a video in my mind. It was a red 30-31 coupe I think the car was #8. After Tony got out of the modified I heard Tatar say " That's why he chose the number "8" cause you read it straight up or upside down" said Tatar..

Well,

Here's another photo I purchased at Meyer Speedway the following weekend after Charlie Schild went over the wall in 62 If I recall.

Recently, I was told that this old 37 Ford Coupe Modified was driven by Smitty Smith and note the damage here.

My memory of this accident was on the last lap of a 100 Lap feature race going into turn 3 when the engine came loose and dumped oil. Either Charlie bumped him after the engine expired while in second place and spun Smitty and this set up a "Rocket Launch" for Charlie Ray which sent him over the turn 3 wall. The #61 is facing the backstretch looking down at turn 2. Note the crumpled hood where Charlie went over the top of the hood and the crewmen looking over the wall where Charlie exited the speedway.

It all happened so fast and you could here a pin drop in awh in the grandstand. I remember seeing the red and white #1 flying over the rail (before they added a catch fence) and flashes of cameras caught the spill..

post-8338-1204258911_thumb.jpg

Midget85,

I had seen this picture on your site, but I just don't remember this # 61 Car. It definitely appears to be an early '60s era Modified Stock Car that raced at Meyer Spdwy/Houston in those days. My first self question was whether or not it was the former # 5 Car that was raced by M J Burton in '61, but I don't think so. Of course, anyone hanging around local auto racing in those days should remember Curtis "Smitty" Smith. Ole "Big Smitty" seemed to stand out in a crowd. The last time I saw him was at Charlie's shop where the McDonalds is now. As for '62, I was thinking Charlie Schild drove the red & silver # 25 Modified that year, and the Cates # 1 Modified in '63, and Ronnie Chumley drove the # 25 Modified in '63. However, I am thinking that the # 5 Modified from '61 was raced by Smitty in '62 or '63, and it was renumbered # 61. The # 61 pictured is obviously a '37 modified Ford body on what appears to be a '30s era Ford frame/suspension, and somewhat similiar to the former # 5 Modified, although the '37 Ford body on the former # 5 appeared stock.

I do remember Charlie Schild going over the wall in turn 3 at Meyer Spdwy in that time period, possibly in the Cates # 1 Modified, and I am thinking he was possibly upside down and/or backwards.

Did that car ever run again? Looks like the headers were ripped right off the engine. That car really looks like an old stock car that ran at Playland with a Flathead and was later converted to a modified. Many possibilities..............

I know it wasn't MJ's old #5 pictured here. MJ actually flipped the #5 sometime after this accident as posted on my website. I will copy and paste to hear for everyone to see very soon. The story I get is that MJ was actually trying to block for Smitty who was leading the race before the engine expired. Charlie was after him hard and was the rocket kid as a result.

It was to the best of my memory a modified with #1 (red and white) on the side that went sailing across the fence. I do recall the #25 car red and silver, but I am almost positive it wasn't that one. It seemed like it was a Fiat Ford Coupe Body Modified although some tell me he was driving a 38 Chevy that night.

I used to study these cars in great detail to see what model cars I could buy and mimick building one just like I saw them at the race track. I was quite younger then, but I would guess it was a Fiat Ford Body just by the appearance of the #1 car going air born.

Probably been too long ago for my brain cells but, for years I would have bet it was a Fiat Ford. Does anyone else recall seeing that kind of body during this time period?

From what I saw and it was so fast, Charlie was air born straight up as he went over the wall with the front pointed up about 20 degrees. What happened after he went over the wall I never got to see. Tatar reminded everyone to remain in their seats as safety officials had everything under control. Later he announced for Mrs Charlie Schild to report to the pit gate. I remember that as if it were yesterday.

Wish I had the photo of the car going over the wall. There were several shots of it back then but, no telling what heppened to them now.

I have no idea Jim, but it could be. However, I'm inclined to believe it is an old early '30s Ford bodied/framed Modified from the Playland Spdwy days with a modified late '30s Ford body. As noted earlier, I am under the impression that the pink '37 Ford Coupe bodied Modified Stock Car # 5 pictured after the flip at Meyer Spdwy, is the former pink # 58 early '30s Ford Coupe bodied/framed Modified that raced at Playland Spdwy in the mid and late '50s and '60, with the body updated because of the rules requiring '37 or newer cars for the Modified Stock Cars that began racing at Meyer Spdwy/Houston in '61. The Burton Team built a new car prior to the '62 season, that was the modified '38 Chevy Coupe bodied Modified that was the red # 5 Car

MJ Burton once told me that the car pictured above (#5 Modified Stock after roll over) was owned by Smitty and MJ drove the car for him. I had asked him back in 1992 about the famous flip where he is actually getting out of the passenger side door and he grinned and said "Yeah..that was Smitty's Old Coupe" I was drivin.

The following weekend after the flip, the car was actually towed to the race track by way of a wrecker and you could see where the roof line had been beaten out by hammer work. Later weeks, there were holes drilled in the trunk to reduce air drag. Not long after that, the car was no longer seen again.

I guess it had it's days... probably in Modified Heaven now...