Southern Pro 4 ?

poorboy

fuzzy1- how much did that car weigh?

Mine or John's?

Mine was about 1900lbs. with a 2338. All I had in the motor was a solid lifter cam, 500 Holley, header and head milled .120 which was about what the mini stocks had.

John's was about the same maybe just a bit heavier. I think the majority of those cars were heavier than the .8 lb per cc minimum. I'm pretty sure Doug's #44 was minimum weight.

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm pretty sure Doug's #44 was minimum weight.

doug cars was somewhere around 1500 pounds ...12 inch tires .... he did get in the 13 s a couple of times ..just think if he had the mtor some of us have now ..id say 12.second lap would not be imposible ..

Im no FWD guy but why try to make a class with out them. Most cars now days are FWD and I think Will can bea most of those cars out there and he has done it street tires so I wounder what he would do if he a set of slicks. And besides this isnt the reall Southern Pro 4 class that will be running CC so why make the rules allow a FWD. Dont be scared if you wanna class you gotta give a little. But anyways good luck getting the class going not to many people around here with DEEP DEEP pockets to build a $10,000 PLUS race car. ;)

I believe we already have a couple of classes that mix front wheel drive and rear wheel drive cars. They are called the texas thunders and the Texas Pro Sedans. If you have ever been seriously involved in them(not just chating on txsz) you would know that its a constant bicker about the rules favoring one or the other. I believe its because they are such different cars. The idea behind the southern Pro4's is to take out the bicker and just race. This IS a real Pro4 class. These rules were adopted from the west coast where they have had tremendous success. This did not come overnight for them either. I think it will take a couple of years to get the class built up. I dont want to speak for Mr. Rhoads, but i think he believes the same. On another note, this class is not for everyone, like the ROMCO,TSRS,and TAMS series. Im not saying were more serious about racing, just that we may be more serious about racing a Pro4. Another thing i think this class will bring is commorodity. When we went to California to race with the SouthwestPro4s the drivers and crews helped eachothers drivers and crews like their own. It was real fun to be there with such people. We all had jobs to pay our bill, racing was just for fun.

Im not saying were more serious about racing, just that we may be more serious about racing a Pro4.

IF YOU CAN GET ENOUGH CARS .IM FINE WITH THAT ..ALOT OF THEASE RACERS ARE VERY SERIOUS .JUST DONT HAVE THE MONEY .. WE CANT RACE OUR PRO SEDAN CAR NUMBER 7 WITH THIS CLASS ..WE DONT HAVE A $1200 LATE MODEL BODY ..A $ 1500 QUICK CHANGE .. SO YOU ARE REALLY LIMITING YOUR POSSIBLE CAR COUNT ..... NORE CAN WE GET OUR CAR DOWN TO 1700 OR 1800 POUNDS ...EVERY BODYS DREAM IS TO HAVE A CAR WITH ALL THE GOODIES .AND AT THIS TIME YOUR CAR IS THE ONLY ONE IN PROBABLY ALL OF TEXAS THAT HAS SOME OF THOSE HIGH DALLOR PARTS ... .WHAT IM SAYING IS YOU ALREADY HAVE IT AND IT WILL COST ALOT FOR ANYONE TO GET IT ..BUT ANYWAY GOOD LUCK .. BTW STS ..10.000 WONT BUILD ONE ..

I'm pretty sure Doug's #44 was minimum weight.

doug cars was somewhere around 1500 pounds ...12 inch tires .... he did get in the 13 s a couple of times ..just think if he had the mtor some of us have now ..id say 12.second lap would not be imposible ..

I don't doubt Doug's car was lighter but he normally had a 2338cc which meant 1870lbs. Also his tires were 10" latemodel tires, mostly Rick Rapp pull offs, I think I used 2 sets the entire year. I know real well about those since he and I ran the same tires and I even bought my tire softner from him as well.

DIDNT SAY YOU COULD NOT BUY ONE .YOU CANT BUILD ONE .JUST TO CLEAR WHAT STS SAID ..HECK THE MOTORS ALONE WILL COST YOU 6 GRAND AND THATS ON THE LOW SIDE ..THAT IF YOU WANT TO KEEP UP OR CATCH UP .....IF THEASE CARS WERE CHEAP EVERYONE WOULD HAVE ONE ..I WOULD ..LOL...

DIDNT SAY YOU COULD NOT BUY ONE .YOU CANT BUILD ONE.

Ah, I see... pessimism at its best. :blink:

If you wanted to run this class, why would you want to start from the ground up when you can buy one that is proven already for a 1/3 of the cost. You are making is sound like it would be cheaper to build a V8 late model, when it reality, you really don't have any idea. The people that want to run this class will find a way to build/buy a car to race. They haven't even raced a single race, but yet people want to break the class up before it even gets started. I prefer optimism. :D

Tim

Here is some more optimism for the people that want to get excited about Pro-4's. :P

http://www.racecarmagazine.com/ForSale/AdD...42&Ad=PRO-4

http://www.racingjunk.com/post/1059431/Pro-Mod-4.html

http://www.racingjunk.com/post/1056714/Pro...r-Turn-Key.html

Tim

oldtimer......a quick change is not a requirement....you can run any rear end. FYI------- I just bought a nice rolling chasis from north texas for 2500.00. all it needs is a motor. Now i know you guys have a motor because your racing. So its safe to say that you could shop like i did and have a pro4 with a motor for about 2500 or so. You could probably sell the chasis you all are running now and use the money toward the pro4 chasis. Unless of course you dont want to race with the Southern Pro4's, then all this talking back and forth is pointless. Im really trying to give you some ideas on how to join us.

i dont understant getting the car down to 1700 or 1800 lbs. we weigh 2250. what engine are you running?

TIM YOUR RIGHT I DONT HAVE AN IDEAL ..BS .LOL .. BUT DEPENDS ON WHAT V8 YOUR TALKING ABOULT WE ARE NOT TALKING V8.HERE ARE WE ..I LOOKED AT SOME OF THOSE CARS YOU POSTED ..NICE CARS ..RANDY AS FOR THE REAR ENDS . NO YOU DONT HAVE TO HAVE WHAT YOU HAVE ...BUT YOU KNOW THE CAR THAT HAS IT LIKE YOURS CAN CHANGE GEARS IN JUST A MATTER OF SECONDS .. ..AND A WIDE RANGE OF CHOICES TO BOOT ....AND WE HAVENT EVEN TALKED ABOULT BRAKE SYSTEMS .HAVE WE ..IM NOT TRYING TO KNOCK YOUR IDEAL DOWN ..YOU GUYS JUST NEED TO PUT IT OUT THERE WHAT IT WILL REALLY COST TO HAVE ONE THE THE TOP CARS ..THE ONE THING YAH HAVENT PUT OUT IS ANY INFO ON WHAT YOU HAVE UNDER THAT BODY ..YOU KNOW FOR THE ONES OUT THERE THAT MAY WANT TO JOIN .. OWELL END OF STORY FOR ME ..GOOD LUCK . WE ARE FRIENDS AND I WANT IT TO STAY THAT WAY ..SO ILL PUT THIS ON THE BACK BURNER ...

Guys, I really dont plan on building a fwd pro 4 car. I just thought I would put it out there and see what people say. If I were to get one I would prolly buy a used chassis and put a modern motor in it. I really like that #66 car, the white one. lol I bet I could fit a neon motor in it!

Well I will stay out of this since I have no clue whats going on with Mini-Stock racing even though I have been involved with them for the past 5 or 6 years. I geuss just sitting here chating On TSZ has me out in the dark with all the boohooing goning on about these type of cars. GOOD LUCK [edited out by Nick Holt, 2/2/08]

Guys, I really dont plan on building a fwd pro 4 car. I just thought I would put it out there and see what people say. If I were to get one I would prolly buy a used chassis and put a modern motor in it. I really like that #66 car, the white one. lol I bet I could fit a neon motor in it!

Will there is enough room for two of those neon motors ......AND IM SURE ARIAL WILL LET YOU TRY WHEN YOU PAY IN FULL ....

Thanks for the offer but I really dont have the time or the money to do that right now. It would be alot of work to put a neon motor in one of those things. I know I could do it but then there is the whole FI thing. The rules say no fuel injection, I dont even have a distributor so I would have to buy one of those anftermarket crank mount computer things, and make an intake for a carb. Even if they let me run FI I would have to put all that miles of wire and crap in the car lol, but it would be cool!

I thought I had this Pro4 deal all figured out, but I guess not. After reading this thread, am I correct to assume that Pro4 cars are not legal in TPS but that TPS cars are legal Pro4's? Please correct me if I have misunderstood something.

Even if TPS cars are legal as a Pro4, what's the sense in recruiting TPS cars? That series has been running since before some of you were born! Trying to take from an existing series to build a new series seems so very counter-productive to me...

Nick

I thought I had this Pro4 deal all figured out, but I guess not. After reading this thread, am I correct to assume that Pro4 cars are not legal in TPS but that TPS cars are legal Pro4's? Please correct me if I have misunderstood something.

Even if TPS cars are legal as a Pro4, what's the sense in recruiting TPS cars? That series has been running since before some of you were born! Trying to take from an existing series to build a new series seems so very counter-productive to me...

Nick

well i cant help it .i was going to keep my mouth shut ..but ..nick they dont have any other real pro 4 cars around ..not in the sense of what one car has ..the one car can not meet tps rules ,without stripping it ..i dont think they are really going after tps cars persay ..just tps cars are the only thing thats fast enough to even be near the same lap as this one car ..can our car make a race out of it ..yep maybe it was doing purty good sunday with a messed up carb on 8 inch tires but still 2 seconds off .. and we were in the 15.s ten inch tires maybe a flat 15 ..thats pushing for all its worth ..what i havent seen is a willingness to restric that car ..untill others can catch up ..i like the driver and family .but i dont agree with bringing a supper stock and race it against an all out late model .there is a reason why tps wont let this car run and its not becuz they have something against this driver .....this would be no different than letting a tps car running what we have with our slicks against thunders ..wont be much fun for the have nots ..

Nick

Nick, I think you are missing the point, but that's ok. By the way, this is a great thread with a lot of good discussion, but, Nick, I have a counter to your question. Why don't we all collectively decide amongst ourselves to shut every race track down in Texas and just have one? Better yet, combine all of the classes and have just have two classes. A V8 class and a 4 cylinder class... There currently is no class that meets the rule specs of the Pro-4's, so what is the big deal? I am pretty sure that the West Coast Pro-4's didn't just decide to start a class and the first weekend have a 25+ car count.

I just want to see a successful class run and put on a good show that is good for the race track, which in-turn is good of the community and economy.

Why anyone would want to go almost as fast as a late model, look just as good, for 1/3 the cost, is beyond me.

I like the discussion, so my advice to anyone reading this is to not take anything personal. People are entitled to their opinions.

Tim

This could be a good use for some of the former super late models, for starters, if a guy wanted to run a stock type chassis with the bigger wheels and tires, it would be foolish not to let them just because of a late model body issue. How much are the tires as well and what kind of pay out is it going to be? Not meant as a bash, just a suggestion and question.

it would be foolish not to let them just because of a late model body issue.

Can you run an older body style (70's & 80's) in TSRS or any other late model series that runs around Texas? Better yet, how many "late model" classes are currently running in Texas?

I think these cars would be a very good compliment to the TSRS series or the other late model series that runs (can't remember the name at the moment) right. God forbid people actually work together though.

Tim

Mr Rhoads(CC Speedway) was courteous enough to schedule pro4 races when tps was off so their drivers did not have to miss out. I cant speak for Mr Rhoads but i think he did this solely for the drivers. Pretty professional if you ask me.

nick, i believe that TPS invites cars from cc speedway and red river speedway's local "weekly" classes even though TPS cars are not legal for those local classes. so whats the difference? and another thing, cc speedway is not inviting all of the tps cars, just the rear wheel drives with latemodel bodies, thats not very many.

Archived