mod vs sport mod

walt

I DON'T DRIVE ONE BUT i HAVE SEEN THE LIMITED TURN ALMOST THE SAME LAP TIME AS THE FULL MODS. FULL MODS MAKE MORE NOISE .. IT SEEMS LIKE A DUPLICATION OF THE SAME CLASS. FOR THE FANS .. IF THEY BOTH RAN ON A HALF MILE TRACK THEN THERE WOULD BE A DIFFERENCE.. AND MORE EXPERINCED DRIVERS IN THE FULL MODS , WHICH MAKES FOR A BETTER RACE .. What I would like to see is bigger nerf bars , and 10 inch tires and wheels on the full mods .. that would seperate the race car drivers from the wanna be's.. Just my opion ..

I asked a similar question after the Lone Star Nationals...basically as to why the Modifieds, with such a huge amount of horse power, don't run with a bigger tire. The response I got indicated that (1) a bigger tire would put a lot more wear and tear on the engine (full mods generally run a big block V-8 as opposed to a small block in the Limiteds), (2) all tires are expensive...especially the bigger one's, and (3) at least with the sanctioned modifieds (IMCA, UMP, etc), the intent is to keep costs in check and the cars competitive. Hence, the smaller tire. I will, however, argue that the Modifieds run a faster lap time on the 1/4 mile tracks as they have a lot more more acceleration coming out of the turns that the limited modifieds.

I know that the Texas Outlaw Modified Series run a bigger tire (10"?)...so maybe they could anwer that question a little better.

BTW, Good luck Texoma...although I'm in SoTex now, I grew up watching the races at the old Wichita Speedway...even before Colonel C's. Good times.

...just a fan.

Got I-Stock

Guest Top Dog Graphix

Storm... you have been misinformed a little bit, full mods also except for a few I have heard about at Devil's Bowl run small blocks as well. Limiteds are mandated to be a "stock" small block, while full IMCA mods are allowed anything in a stock block, without stud girdles or aluminum heads, so the possibilites are endless for them.

Storm, there was a time when IMCA mods ran on A/R tires and SportMods on softer Hoosiers, and yes they could keep up pretty good. Since they all run on the same tire now, I doubt that would be the case.

I think I explained before that SportMods are stock framed back to the spring buckets, use stock suspension parts(no 3,4,Z links, etc.). The more popular these have gotten, the more guys are getting them tweeked, squeezing as much HP out as possible, plus the Modified guys are jumping them with regularity(ie Keith White, Howard Willis, etc.) So you've got some very good shoes in these cars, that can get everything out of them.

I wish they woudl put the Limited Mods back on DOT tires (the way it was when the class first started) and take all the high dollar motors out of the game....

I'll just have to buy(claim)me one of those high dollar motors for $500 after the seson starts. :D

I'll just have to buy(claim)me one of those high dollar motors for $500 after the seson starts. :D

You jest,but if there actually were more claims carried out (and not just threatened), the $s expended on engines would be less.

You jest,but if there actually were more claims carried out (and not just threatened), the $s expended on engines would be less.

I think you hitt the nail on the head with that statement.

Archived