State track owners revitalize Modified and Truck racing

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

dewill@swbell.net

Thunderhill Raceway Public Relations

State track owners revitalize Modified and Truck racing

KYLE, TX (January 14, 2008) – The four asphalt short tracks in Texas have joined together to create an opportunity for the Pro Modified and Pro Truck drivers to compete at diverse venues in 2008 – and get rewarded with points which will lead to the crowning of the Texas champions.

The new guidelines, points structure and schedules are being released today following a mutual agreement among the owners at the four participating tracks –Houston Motorsports Park (HMP), Thunderhill Raceway (THR, in Kyle, TX), Red River Speedway (RRS, in Wichita Falls, TX) and Corpus Christi Speedway (CCS).

To view the new guidelines and schedule, visit the Announcement section on Texas Speed Zone – http://www.txsz.com.

Ownership at two of the tracks – CCS and RRS - has recently switched hands. Prior to the start of the 2008 racing season, the new owners had expressed an interest in presenting these two popular classes to their fans; they also wanted to be a part of the Texas Championship titles.

The new guidelines give the Pro Modified and Pro Truck drivers the option to race at all four tracks and then use their best 12 finishes towards their respective championships. In addition, the drivers will receive ten bonus points for competing at all four tracks.

“We wanted to give the Pro Modified and Pro Truck drivers an opportunity to earn a state-wide Texas championship,” said Mary Ann Naumann, THR Owner/Promoter. “The cooperation among all four track owners and managers to create this plan has been incredible. We feel like we’ve begun a new era in the Texas racing community by working so closely together.”

Naumann added, “These agreements among the four tracks also gives drivers the ‘feel’ of a real touring series, as well as a chance to compete at four different racing venues.”

Information on the four tracks can be found at their respective web sites:

Houston Motorsports Park – http://www.houstonmotorsportspark.com

Thunderhill Raceway – http://www.thunderhillraceway.com

Red River Speedway - http://www.redriverspeedway.net

Corpus Christi Speedway - http://www.theasphaltbullring.com

- 30 -

2008 TEXAS CHAMPIONSHIP GUIDELINES - PRO MODIFIEDS AND PRO TRUCKS

post-29-1200514921_thumb.jpg

2008 TEXAS CHAMPIONSHIP POINTS’ STRUCTURE - PRO MODIFIEDS AND PRO TRUCKS

post-29-1200348361_thumb.jpg

2008 TEXAS CHAMPIONSHIP SCHEDULE - PRO MODIFIEDS AND PRO TRUCKS

post-29-1200514980_thumb.jpg

Click on the following PDF files to print the documents:

Guidelines and Points: 2008TexasChampionshipGuidelines.pdf

Schedule: TexasChampionshipSchedule.pdf

good question rusty...i registered once (THR) , i'm not registering twice for HMP. are red river and corpus asking us to register with them?

will it be the same tech guys at every race and same officials , and do our race procedures stay ours from track to track or change at each (restarts , passing on restarts , all involved , qualifieing)?

thanX mary ann and all involved....sounds like with the right effort put behind it it'll take off good.

Question? will my registration and number request that I did at THR be fowarded to HMP?

Rusty, I will forward those few that did register to HMP, even though the registration said at the top, we will honor the HMP registrations, but you must complete this form for THR. So, I will ask the CPA to check it out for you and Shawn Paul and any others. There are those that may only race at THR and they will have to register with THR. I think we are trying to be more then fair, as we are planning to have a Pro Modified and Pro Truck THR Track Champion and honoring registrations paid to HMP, I believe the other two tracks are as well. I would like to add that HMP will be keeping up the Texas Championship point standings and monitoring the registrations, not an easy task!

While the tracks are at it .................. would SOMEBODY PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE revisit the subject of COMMON RULES!

The way it is now is just absolutely NUTS!

Budman, that is what this entire announcement is all about! The same rules for all four tracks, same tires, same two technical inspectors from HMP & THR, Randy & Jack, I do not think we can do anything more.

i would agree with budman i would like to see a set of rules 2008 for the trucks! i do not like add a neg post but if all the tracks think thay are going to grt car or truck count to justfy a good race you konw we can not race for 75 percent of the back gate. if you are going to post a race you need to post a payout. like i sead i do not like to sound neg. but it is like a job you can not post a job with out the pay.i think moust of us can race at our local tracks for that pay but at this time 2008 to travel to another track to race you need to or should post a min.

I have to agree also that if CCS and Red River want a good showing they have to guarantee a good purse. The big deal on here last year was that the THR trucks couldn't afford to travel for a portion of the gate. I also think since we're adding CCS this year we should make red river an option so the folks who can't afford to travel aren't getting penalized in the points.

Red River Speedway will offer a purse. The purse will not be part of the back gate. We also will allow free camping to all the racers and we do not require you to register your number. We are willing to work with both groups and we are very happy to be working with all the tracks. I will post the purse as soon as it is finished. We are racing just about every series in the area this year and plan on having a great 2008. I think everyone needs to look at the positive side of this. We now have four asphalt tracks in Texas and for that matter they are all doing there best to work together.

Thanks

I have been in contact with Mike Cooper from Red River Speedway throughout this process. I think he is planning to post a guaranteed purse for the Pro Mods and Pro Trucks because he realizes it's a long way to travel. I'm sure we'll hear more from Mike on this issue.

I'm not sure how CCS is planning to pay the purses for their events. And I can't speak for HMP, but I'm pretty sure THR will continue to pay the purse the same way we've done in the past.

Regarding the points - there are no penalties for not traveling to all of the tracks. You are given the opportunity to race at all tracks, but there is no penalty for not doing so. We will use your best 12 finishes to calculate your standing in the Texas championships. Having said that -- the more races you enter, the better your odds. We are requiring a minimum of four races at HMP and four races at THR to be eligible for the points' race competition.

racer44,

Would you please send an e-mail to Becky Cooper at happycoop@austin.rr.com to address your payout on August 11? Also, Randy Anderson from HMP and Jack Sandefur from THR are working on the rules. In the meantime, feel free to contact either one of them with technical questions. Their contact information is shown in the Guidelines above.

I personally think you ought to make two of the races that you have to go to to count be CCS and RRS because if you dont it would be a race like the one in houston last year were two trucks showed up. If I was still racin trucks I would definately be at CCS and RRS.

I thought the truck guys were the ones on here wanting a traveling series.

moreless begging for responsepility from those that are suppose to be running the "class". if they would show even a fraction of leadership we wouldn't have the questions we have.

thanX again mary ann.

Guys, here is the deal, each track is personally making an opportunity for the Pro Modifieds and the Pro Trucks to have a choice of tracks to run at, same rules, same tires, same technical inspectors with no dates overlapping one another. These two classes are not series with series leadership, it is four tracks working together to provide a selection of tracks to run at under the exact same rules and adding to that, an opportunity to win the title of a Texas Champion for both classes! Please do not make this so complicated. ;)

Guys, here is the deal, each track is personally making an opportunity for the Pro Modifieds and the Pro Trucks to have a choice of tracks to run at, same rules, same tires, same technical inspectors with no dates overlapping one another. These two classes are not series with series leadership, it is four tracks working together to provide a selection of tracks to run at under the exact same rules and adding to that, an opportunity to win the title of a Texas Champion for both classes! Please do not make this so complicated. ;)

Ms Naumann, are you having fun yet? I personally, speaking as an old race fan, think an idea for a state championship is absolutely great. Although I would prefer a slightly different format than the best finishes formula, there is really nothing wrong with it, and the bonus system is tailored to not penalize those who can't travel to far away events, but slightly reward those that do. The key phrase in your post is, "THE OPPORTUNITY TO WIN THE TITLE OF TEXAS CHAMPION". Besides the championship, the other rankings count also. I certainly understand the payout concerns and hopefully track management and competitors can work TOGETHER on that issue. TRACK CHAMPIONSHIPS and point standings can, and should be, kept SEPERATELY.

While the tracks are at it .................. would SOMEBODY PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE revisit the subject of COMMON RULES!

The way it is now is just absolutely NUTS!

In the distant past, it sometimes appeared track management preferred specific rules in order to hopefully discourage competition from other tracks to attract competitors to their venue. However, it also appeared that there was occasional lobbying from some competitors, mostly with deeper pockets, to discourage outside competitors from competing in their venue. So it appeared, at least to me, sometimes track management took steps to keep the local competitors home, while some competitors did what they could to keep the outside competitors away. Short sighted to say the least. From what I read here, it appears the asphalt tracks are attempting to work together, but they also need cooperation from the racers. COMMON RULES OPEN DOORS, uncommon rules close them.

Please guys i got no dog in this truck and mod thing but you have got to be jumping up and down about having 4 tracks that want to you to come race thier tracks, a championship can be won, you get to get out of town, race with your friends try to out run somebody, i know it cost a lot but it won,t be long before we all will be very sad that we can,t go racing, we all have a place to race be happy show up, smile and bite the bullitt. outrun your best friend, get drunk and come home and tell everybody what a great time you had,its racing man, don,t mean to preach, but we got what i think we wanted, me included, lets see who can have the most fun, thany you mary ann and h.e. graham, and everyone else that is going to let us do it , waddy don,t be mad at me i had to write this

I highly recommend that the truck guys make the RRS races. Mike puts on a great show, pays like he says he will, sometimes even better, and the fans love the trucks. He will go out of his way to make sure that you have a good time, and that everyone is treated fairly.

PS - IT's a quarter mile track, but there's room for 2 wide racing! (Ask Gunnar! :) )

Thanks

Jon Garrett

Jon,

Thanks !! We still have folks in town talking about the last race here. I want to say we started 17 or 18 trucks that night. I dont recall any fans sitting down during the race, I actually think the concession stand suffered the most during that race :) . We do look forward to the trucks and mods running up here. The fans in the area reallly enjoy the trucks and mods. We will open the track on Friday night and we will be open early on Saturday for the Trucks and Modifieds. Thanks again Jon , If anyone needs any help get with Jon he can get around this track pretty darn fast !! Jon correct me if I am wrong , I think you won all the races up here ? I have some great photos of the 66 truck during the Texas / Oklahoma shoot out.

Archived