Quarter Midgets

Mike Riley

There has been talk the last couple of years with trying to get kids involved in racing. Chuck Barber and I both have kids that are interested in racing and we are considering starting some kind of racing organization for kids. Our initial thoughts are to start with quarter midgets with the entry level Honda motor (gx-120) with all other rules from the QMA rulebook. In doing this, the cars would be legal to run in SA, Austin or any other QMA sanctioned race track. These thoughts are real preliminary right now, so things like the racing venue still have not been considered. If there is anyone interested in getting their kids involved, let me know or just air out your thoughts in this forum.

Thanks,

Mike Riley 533-3460

Chuck Barber 688-6543

I have a 600 mini sprint as well. Unfortunately it is a bit too much for a 6 year old. I am definately interested in getting Ryan into racing and I will do what I can to help out. My thoughts are to probably sell the mini sprint and get a quarter midget. This is a good idea. The kids in this area need a place to get started.

RGS started running go karts several years ago and it has been a great thing. We run three classes of karts, 3 1/2 hp, 5hp stock and an open class. In doing this we have been able to grow our beginner (thunder) class in the past couple of years. Most of the kids that start in karts turn out to be really good drivers when they get into the full size cars, they already have thousands of laps. We run them the same night as our regular scheduled races, they are the opening class for heats and run the features at the end of the heat races right before intermission. Very affordable and gets the kids a great start. This year we had a 3 1/2 year old start his racing career in the 3 1/2 hp class. Something to think about, all 4 of my boys started in the 3 1/2 class and now have one in Limited Mod, one in open, one in 5hp stock and one in 3 1/2.

I can afford to put kids in slot cars and go karts, but not quarter midgets. I'd rather see a mini stock jr only class than QM. Totally stock minis would be affordable and the kids could drive the wheels off them. JMO.

I can afford to put kids in slot cars and go karts, but not quarter midgets. I'd rather see a mini stock jr only class than QM. Totally stock minis would be affordable and the kids could drive the wheels off them. JMO.

You could retire & sell your car so the kids could race quarter midgets.jk jk jk :D:D:D

LETS GET READY TO RAAAAAAAAAAAAACE & HAVE SOME FUN ! :D:D:D

If you haven't seen the go-karts run at RGS, here is a short video clip. This is of our 5HP Open Class, basically the go-karts are 5HP Briggs engines, some have racing clutches, open exhaust, some run on pump gas and others on Methanol, but these little karts are pretty quick.

When I first bought my son's kart I had a friend follow me in a truck and he clocked me at about 40mph on a city street... was a tight fit.. but damn it was fun.

3HP, 5HP and OPEN are the way to go.. mini-sprints are just way too expensive in comparison. And besides you can make these little go karts look like mini-sprints or modifieds with a little sheet metal work.

Click here to watch RGS-Go-karts-feature--Open-Class

I think Reilly is about the right size for a quarter midget.

We had an inside track the first year, but never got off the ground.....I'm sure Owen could find the outline of it if you could get it off the ground. Maybe run on Sat afternoons before the main events

Guys I am very interested in the Go-kart thing, I am going to get with Johnny Johnson in the Valley to see if I could get some dimensions of his go-kart track and try to keep them the same size. Then we will follow the same rules as the valley. You can go to the RGS website for their rules.

Anyone interested in helping get this off the ground please give me a call.

Owen

Archived