more meyer spdwy super mod photos

chipmunk

Ikey is still alive and kicking. He has a bulldozer and does dozer work for people. The Hite car was sold in the late 80's. I began trying to track it some years later and tracked it to the Birmingham area, as close as I could get. I was looking at the Alabama Racing Pioneers photo site a few years ago and there it was, it had been found in the woods, recovered, and being restored. I have talked to the guy that has it. He had some health problems and hadn't finished it. Ikey's son has also talked to guy that has it.

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

As a follow-up, you mentioned the MissChicken site. The reason I posted my first post with the questions about the #7, #45, etc., is that Tobby Taylor, who owns the MissChicken site, had asked me some questions about my memory of the #27 (#7?) Gene Tapia car, and the #44, and the #45. Tobby is writing an article about the #44. I know that a guy got a chassis and rebuilt a copy of the #44. He put a Brinn transmission in it so he could start and stop without needing a push truck. He has had the car at several local tracks and driven exhibition laps and paced the start. I talked to him a couple of years ago and I thought he said the chassis was from the original #45. I don't know for sure. In my conversation with Toby this week, he said someone had gotten the original #44 chassis and rebuilt the #44.

• 1 month later...
  • 5 years later...
On 7/3/2012 at 1:29 AM, hly said:

I think I know where the car on the top right is located today

I missed this post years ago.  Sorry for that.

This car has returned back home to the Cheek family.  Currently residing at Craftmasters Powdercoating in Waco and being rebuilt to original glory by Steve Cheek and his father Carroll Cheek (owner in its heyday). 

Butch Harris driving.

BIll Hite rear engine Supermodified by asianfever on DeviantArt

butchharris77.jpg

Edited by DadRoman

• 1 year later...
On 12/15/2007 at 11:02 PM, Budman said:

Hummmm ........................... Very Interesting! Can it be that the 16 car is the 2nd incarnation of the famous #2 Roadster/Super modified? I've downloaded the pic, resized and enhanced it. I'm also going to post the pic on that other thread. Here it is.............Thanks Chipmunk! ................

post-3-1197924561_thumb.jpg

Anybody know who the driver of this car was? I recall a white, supermodified #16 that used to run at Arena Park Raceway in Lubbock back in the 70s. I suppose this isn't the same car, but it sure looks the same. 

On 7/10/2008 at 3:15 PM, Bobby said:

Early seventies might have been a little early. I know that somewhere in the 71-73 period Chet was a teenager just starting out behind the wheel of Marvin's 55 Chevy stock car. I can't imagine him being in a Super quite yet.

That's right. Chet began racing the white Belair (#91) probably no earlier than 1973--he would have been 16 at the time. Marvin raced it too during that period. Not long after that (no later than 1976), Chet began driving a white supermodified. Had a bad spill in turn one at Arena Park Raceway in that car. 

By the way, if anybody has a pic of that '55 Chevy, I'd love to see it. That was a beautiful racing machine, and very fast. 

On 9/17/2013 at 9:23 AM, DadRoman said:

I believe your talking about the Orange #24 of Carroll Cheek. You pretty much decribed it to a tee.

Its the same car (I believe) in the post #97 marked as number 21. It was the only orange car in this area at that time. Shortly after that pic was taken Carroll fell in love with the orange Foyt was using at the time and repainted the car with it. Being friends with Foyt he spent a bit of time around that color. Most beautiful orange.....actual code name was Foyt Red

Does anybody remember Wayne McNally's purple rear engine car? Boy that was a beauty also.

McNally--or McAnally?--ran in Lubbock a few times. Wasn't there a Pat McAnally, too? Maybe I'm misremembering. 

• 2 months later...
On 7/13/2022 at 11:21 AM, FlatBlack84 said:

That's right. Chet began racing the white Belair (#91) probably no earlier than 1973--he would have been 16 at the time. Marvin raced it too during that period. Not long after that (no later than 1976), Chet began driving a white supermodified. Had a bad spill in turn one at Arena Park Raceway in that car. 

By the way, if anybody has a pic of that '55 Chevy, I'd love to see it. That was a beautiful racing machine, and very fast. 

Here's one on one of the Minnesota Max montages.  Most of these are from other states but you'll occasionally catch a South Texas car.  Marvin is at 1:19 on https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RXQiA8LF0V8.  S.A. racers will recognize the 77 of Todd Ford at 1:55. And.....is that Freddy Fryar at 5:17?

These are a rabbit hole, but rewarding.  It's amazing to see how the respective time periods make the cars look familiar, no matter which part of the country.  The picture at 4:45, however, is a first! 

Edited by Bobby

• 1 month later...
On 9/20/2022 at 6:18 PM, Bobby said:

Here's one on one of the Minnesota Max montages.  Most of these are from other states but you'll occasionally catch a South Texas car.  Marvin is at 1:19 on https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RXQiA8LF0V8.  S.A. racers will recognize the 77 of Todd Ford at 1:55. And.....is that Freddy Fryar at 5:17?

These are a rabbit hole, but rewarding.  It's amazing to see how the respective time periods make the cars look familiar, no matter which part of the country.  The picture at 4:45, however, is a first! 

Here's another pic of the Fillip car.

https://www.hoseheadforums.com/photoGallery/photoGalleryItemsLarge.cfm?GalleryItemKey=3721

• 1 year later...
On 7/13/2022 at 11:35 AM, FlatBlack84 said:

McNally--or McAnally?--ran in Lubbock a few times. Wasn't there a Pat McAnally, too? Maybe I'm misremembering. 

Yea something like that.  I was a late teen at the time.  Dont know for sure.

Keeping the ole thread alive.  Gonna be some great pics of the 24 car coming someday.  (Hopefully soon.  That dang ChiliBowl keeps getting in the way of winter building season!)