Quarter Midget Racers from Late 50's/early 60's

GINGERBREADMAN

Being a former Race Director for San Antonio's Lone Star 1/4 Midget Assoc and VP of the River City 1/4 Midgets in Austin back in the early 90's,I've really enjoy reading about the 1/4 midgets back in the real early years around Tx.Thanks for your stories and the news prints.

• Replies 756
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ProTree,

Thanks for your visit and feedback..

We hope all get an idea as to how and when Quarter Midget racing got it's start not only in Texas but, all across the country.

Midget 85

HOUSTON, TEXAS - Doug McBride with Coggie Pearce

In the late 50's and early 60's, most all Quarter Midget drivers were invited over to Coggie's house who lived in beautiful Glennbrook Valley subdivision in Houston.

A lot of us looked up to Coggie as a Big Brother to the Quarter Midget racing days since he was a Senior Champion and a little older than the rest of us..

Their home was "Cool" with a modern day swimming pool and a luxury Mid Century decor and we all were treated like special people. In other words, Coggie was COOL!

Here is a shot of Doug McBride with Coggie Pearce taken in the den area of their home where you see the collection of trophies won by Coggie and his sister Debbie. This looks to be around 1958-59 judging the age of Coggie and Doug.

Looking back at the old Black and White television set in the background and the retro furniture which was up to date in this time era as being modern.

The trophies in any racers home was proudly displayed for all to see this new craze in Quarter Midget Racing.

We have lost contact with Coggie and the search is on to find him..

post-8338-1211253569_thumb.jpg

HOUSTON, TEXAS - Doug McBride and Dad

Freeway Quarter Midget Track - 1958

This new sport of Quarter Midget Racing was a perfect way for the entire family to be involved together as driver, mechanic, and overall family participation with work for moms as well.

Some moms were responsible for the cheerleader section in the grandstands and also driver uniforms, and secretary work around the track.

Here's a good shot of Doug in his younger beginning days with his dad George McBride who was instrumental with building, maintaining, and most of all supporting Doug with his race car.

The photo illustrates family fun and the thrill of winning for both..

# 85

post-8338-1211255269_thumb.jpg

Edited by Midget 85

That's a pretty Mean Lean there Josh!

:blink:

Double AA Quarters were go getters and you'd better have a hand full of steering wheel when driving one of these midgets..

There are some pics somewhere that have me leaning out so far that my shoulder was touching the nerfbar. All I know is that I was told on multiple occasions that people could read my whole name that was on the back of my driving suit I leaned out so far. An I liked having the front tire off the ground that means that bad boy was hooked up. Yes at times this car was a handful to drive. Thats one thing I really liked about running this class because not only was it about setup it was also a driver's class. During a race if the handling changed you could just breath it in a different spot and change how the car entered and exited the corner or throw it into the corner a different way and get it to do some different things. The one thing I remember is when me and my father experimented by putting Model Airplane fuel in the tank since it was a mix of alky and 35% of nitromethane and boy let me tell about some flames out the pipes it was awesome.

SAN ANTONIO - Tribute to Quarter Midgets

The following photos reflect several different shots of Doug and other Quarter Midget drivers from San Antonio.

The bottom photo is Doug and his little sister as Trophy Queen at Alamo Speedway.

The upper photo looks no different in that could be your local big boy racers in the pits at any given big car track.

The little fella leaning on the roll bar appears to be the crew chief or head mechanic :lol:

Looks like 1959 and more photos courtesy of Doug McBride..

post-8338-1211418259_thumb.jpg

post-8338-1211418937_thumb.jpg

Edited by Midget 85

Good shots there!

Yes, the midgets have undergone major changes.

The 50's midgets came first and then the Go Karts in those days. Each one had their own characteristics back then.

It looks to me like the Go-Karts and Midgets today or combined as to tires, chassis, and share some of the same parts.

In the 50's there were Quarter Midget manufactures of midgets only and supplies were for Quarters. They even had their own engines for Quarters.

The Go-Karts in the early days as to competition ran 2-cycle engines in most part.

Yes, things have most certainly changed!

Each generation will have their own desire to preserve "Their Era" of race cars.

What will they look like 20 years from now?

MORE PHOTOS - San Antonio

Appears the track in the bottom photo is a 1/10 mile track judging by it's size..

I always preferred the "Big Uns" for the speed!

post-8338-1211602169_thumb.jpg

post-8338-1211602244_thumb.jpg

Edited by Midget 85

ROOTS OF 1/4 MIDGET RACING

Magazine Article dated January 1959

This article illustrates the beginning of the new sport of Quarter Midget racing in San Antonio as many newspaper and magazine articles appeared in print material for all to learn of the new craze in it's infancy.

Courtesy of Doug McBride - San Antonio archives..

post-8338-1211827836_thumb.jpg

MORE MEMORIES..

Here's one taken on a hot summer day after the races or test trials as Doug and friend relax with a soda pop and cool off after a hot day at the track..

Second photo shows midgets on trailers and typical pit activity at the track..

If I'm not mistaken, this is Doug and myself at the track dated August 1960 while visiting Doug in San Antonio for week before school started back.

photos courtesy of Doug McBride - San Antonio, TX

post-8338-1211829501_thumb.jpg

post-8338-1211829587_thumb.jpg

post-8338-1211831781_thumb.jpg

Edited by Midget 85

When I was a young boy I lived on Manchester in SE San Antonio. I remember a midget with the #711. It was off Pickwell and Utopia I believe. This was around 60-62. I remember we would drive by that house and I wished I could race one of those. But Dad said There was not enough money. I never knew who owned that car. It sure was pretty. Does anyone have any idea who the owner and driver was? Thanks

PAPA

Well fellas...

Like I said, all of us as kids wanted two things at an early age as boys.

One was a set of wheels.. the other was the urge to race them.

You have to give these inovators the credit for creating these fun cars and then how to race them.

Dig that front engine wanta be modified!

The builders need credit considering everything had to be hand made.

You couldn't call your local speed shop in 1939 like they were on every corner or somethin..

Great photos!

Edited by Midget 85

MORE MIDGETS..

I found this photo on the website and thought we should post it.

It appears this racer is a 3/4 Midget with the functional front hood and appearing to be larger than a 1/2 Midget

BOTTOM PHOTO..

50's Midgets..

Here's a couple from the old days but, drivers unknown.

The midget on the left looks like a "Racecraft" or "Speedway" while the one on the right is a "Moss Midget"..

Varooom!

post-8338-1212124531_thumb.jpg

post-8338-1212125184_thumb.jpg

Edited by Midget 85

DOUG McBRIDE

Another shot of Doug in his Pacemaker 1/4 Midget..

Photos below show more shots of early 1/4 Midgets and drivers unknown to us.

Middle Photo is a early 1/4 Midget and a determined driver to Tune R Up!

Bottom Photo is a Kurtis Kraft Midget..

post-8338-1212304116_thumb.jpg

post-8338-1212306077_thumb.jpg

post-8338-1212306141_thumb.jpg

Edited by Midget 85

Quarter Midget Program Cover

Here's a dated piece of history of the Tulsa Program cover in 1961..

Courtesy of Doug McBride

post-8338-1212804973_thumb.jpg

Edited by Midget 85

Here's a shot of the inside front cover of the program and an article by the president of the QMA

post-8338-1212805827_thumb.jpg

QUARTER MIDGET RULES

Tulsa Nationals 1961

Page 2

As you can read and observe, 1/4 Midget Racing was sanctioned like all other race cars and divisions.

Special rules were in place for each class of engine as well as safety guidelines.

Did we ever alter the rules?

..Naa

..Well, depended what track you raced on.

I look at some of these rules and can tell you for a fact that some did not apply on some of the tracks I raced on.

Winning meant doing anything you could get by with. If you got caught however, there were a few hand slaps, dis qualifications, and winnings stripped.

In most part, everyone tried to do the right thing by running legal.. :rolleyes:

post-8338-1212807895_thumb.jpg

Edited by Midget 85