Quarter Midget Racers from Late 50's/early 60's

GINGERBREADMAN

Kurtis Kraft 500

The Kurtis Kraft name alone stands for racing and was known well among racers of all ages. Thus when Quarter Midgets evolved the name was also known in the Quarters as well.

My memory of the racing days relate to many of these cars used for the larger or older kids in most cases but not all ..and also to the Double AA Fuels and A Class modified cars simply for the extra room for the larger kids. They were wider on the nose caption, had a sleek tail section and referred by many as "The Bull Nose" Quarters.

In comparison to the Wahlborgs there was plenty of leg room and easy to climb in and out of the cockpit.

The cars were popular in B' Modified, A' Modified, up to the Max of AA' Fuel and seldom recall any in the stock class. I witnessed boys at 12 to 13 years old driving the Kurtis Krafts with a Blue Flame blowing out the exhaust at about 18 inches from the tip. The sweet smelling fuel in some cases to the eye burning alcohol fueled little beast!

The Kurtis Kraft was certainly a serious contender but a little awkward for the smaller kids to start in due to the size.

None the less, it is one sought after by many

post-8338-0-29709300-1387108127_thumb.jpg

• Replies 756
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Never Too Young

Now that many youngsters had the urge to race, they actually experienced the real thrill of racing to the seriousness of competing.

Racing the Quarters was like racing the Big Offy's and the experience and circumstances were all too well the same!

Here .. a little racer experiences the action of getting on two wheels and a quick thought of will she roll or can I get back down?

It happens quickly and unexpectantly when you are racing.

Got to love the experience .. and sometimes a little trip to the facility afterwards.

An added note here is NO "Monkey Cage" roll cages or roll bar and probably no shoulder harness to keep you upright. We never thought about it although somewhere in the back of our minds the possibility was somewhat chilling ..

post-8338-0-42826400-1387111355_thumb.jpg

A Different Look At The Competition

When you get upside down the track and competitors look a little different ..

We are not sure of the chain of events here, but two of the competitors are upside down and suddenly you ask yourself ..what happened?

One in the front and one in the back while others try to avoid the spagetti mix ..

Note the lead car viewing the bottom of his competitor while others duck down and redirect their path to avoid being involved. It takes quick thinking when you are racing ..

Also note the person climbing over the fence to render aid to the little racers ..

Still think kiddie racers weren't serious?

Competition was serious as we all raced for the checkers, a kiss from the trophy queen ..and a few bragging rights with the trophy to prove it ..

post-8338-0-29111300-1387587224_thumb.jpg

Proud Winner and Great Midget

No doubt the time is in the 50's and the little driver is proud of his takings at a local track as he poses with his trophy and the midget that put him in the winners circle.

It was not unusual to pull the midget out of the garage and take a few pictures of junior in his car with his trophies between race dates or off seasons. This is a prime example. We all did it!

Great photo and great memories for those of us that were there in this generation of racing. It will never be like this again

post-8338-0-52160700-1387344113_thumb.jpg

Girls Like To Race Too!

Girls were not limited to being just a trophy Queen.

A good example of this below as Toni prooves she can compete with the boys and be a knock out as well.

post-8338-0-58629000-1387344269_thumb.jpg

Wahlborg "300" In Todays World

Pictured here is a 300 series Wahlborg that appears to have been restored and with a few added updates for a parade lap around the oval.

Note the wider rear tires and the modern helment

post-8338-0-54317200-1387412828_thumb.jpg

Cadillac Of Midgets

The Pacemaker was one of the best handling midgets I had ever driven. The smooth suspension and adjustable friction shocks with front and rear springs gave the midget true handling advantages in comparison to some of the other versions.

The Moss midget would run a close second in handling favors based on my experiencie in driving all the different cars.

Please remember this is only my perception and probably argumentive with others but after driving all the different cars .. I still keep my view

The Pacemaker was no doubt ahead of it's time and was well engineered when the first series were being built. We later learned that in 1959 a modified version was being produced that would include a straight axle set up. The first series were engineered with a split rear axle.

The rear axle on the later version was set back a few inches and had a longer wheel base, the engine was now able to sit lower in the chassis

Pictured below is at least a 59 - 60 manufactured car

post-8338-0-23366800-1387413539_thumb.jpg

Forever Racers

You never stop racing Quarter Midgets, you just move em in the house, add them to the trophy collection, and remember the fun days of youth.

Look and admire the craftsmanship of the little stormers from a time that went by quickly.

( Photo courtesy of the Caruso family of racers )

Great looking Midgets!

post-8338-0-65135400-1387441895_thumb.jpg

Phoenix Racers 1950's

A national event held in Phoenix with racers from all over the country participating for top honors.

Many Wahlborgs in this photo

post-8338-0-55996700-1387586132_thumb.jpg

Pasadena, Texas 1961

Another line up of midgets for a feature race at the Pasadena Rodeo grounds in Texas.

Midget 85 is in the rear due to inverted starts.

Look at the classic cars in the background ..

post-8338-0-07687200-1387586520_thumb.jpg

• 11 months later...

Hi

My name is Bill Jones, our family began racing Quarter midget back in 1958 I think in Louisville ky. I have been in and out of Quarters several times in my youth as a driver, handler, mechanic and owner. Some of my most fondest memory's were at some Quarter Midget race track somewhere in the USA. Maybe some of that stuff later.

The real reason for my post was to inform Quarter Midget Racers of the passing of Ralph "Sonny" Potter on November 24 2014.

For many years Ralph was Mr Quarter midget. Ralph started out as the East Coast Distributor for Frank Kutis's Quarter Midgets. When Frank Kurtis decided to get out of building Quarter Midgets Ralph took on the task of building and designing the Kurtis Quarter Midget himself. His FX's and Sidewinders were the race car of choice by many racers, winning an untold number of Regional and National Races.

Perhaps Ralph's biggest accomplishments was the mentoring he gave so many young racers as they traveled up through Quarter Midgets and on to either being professional Racing Drivers or successful business people. He was a super guy that could always kneel down to offer advice to a young kid having trouble or maybe just share a joke with a young driver.

Rest in Peace "Sonny" Potter

• 1 month later...

We welcome all Quarter Midget fans from all over the country and in every state. These were some of the most memorable days of the mid century and I am very thankful I was there to participate and share the experience and memories today!

We hope everyone shares their experience with these little fire breathers that stormed the tracks and became so popular before the Go Karts took over with popularity in those days.

Fortunately Quarter midgets still thrive but more on the scale of Go Karts with bodies in today's world. Many of the chassis and parts are the same.

Thanks for visiting this site and share with other fans of vintage Quarter Midgets

Ted,

We spend a lot of our life getting rid of things as we progress in everyday life.

Then we spend the rest of our life trying to gather back what we got rid of. Human nature I guess

Good luck in finding a midget

How did the name Quarter Midget come about?

Quite simply because they were scaled down 1/4 the size of a full scale midget. Not hard to figure that one out ..

• 2 weeks later...

Quarter Midget Racer from late '50s, Bubba Nolan also raced Bronco Stock Cars at Meyer Spdwy/Houston in about '67/'68. Later, he worked with the Tony Bettenhausen/VitaFresh Racing Team, and also the H B Bailey/Almeda Auto Parts Race Team. In the Texas Racing History/Meyer Spdwy pics 2 section, one of the early '70s era pictures shows a person in the background that looks very much like Harold "Bubba" Nolan. However, I don't have any present, nor over the last 20+ yrs, knowledge about Bubba Nolan.

Sorry to report this but Bubba Nolan passed on 4-30-2008 due to cancer. His sister Gail Nolan still lives in southwest Houston.

Daddy O

We are very sad to hear this news but we appreciate you keeping us posted. Seems like yesterday we were all running the quarters. # 77 Bubba Nolan. May he rest

-Randy

Midget 85

• 8 months later...

More Photos May 1962

Courtesy of Doug McBride - San Antonio

I am sure Doug can give us more information on the photos below.

They were taken in May of 1962 and unknown to me at this time.

Our thanks to Doug for the photos..

attachicon.gifQuarter_..._May_62a.jpg

David Watkins - Garland TX

attachicon.gifQuarter_..._May_62b.jpg

Ellis Clark - Dallas TX

attachicon.gifQuarter_..._May_62c.jpg

Mike Kidd - Dallas TX

attachicon.gifQuarter_..._May_62d.jpg

Unknown / Background Bill Palm - San Antonio TX

THIS IS A PICTURE OF ME AT THE GARLAND QUARTER MIDGET TRACK AA FUEL CAR HAND MADE OVERHAUSER FROM CALF ...HE ONLY MADE 6 A YEAR BY INVITATION MAD A SHORT AND LONG WHEEL BASE I HAD THE SHORT BUT MY LEGS GOT TO LONG

DAVID WATKINS 1725 LARCHWOOD CIRCLE GARLAND TEXAS ****dwatkins18@tx.rr.com

the national at garland sleepy tripp was 1st i was 2nd and tripps brother was 3rd we ran nose to tail the hole race my dad had the motorcycle track that me and mike started on ellis clark was killed in a car wreck he was 16 i have raced all my lide motorcycles yamaha road race and midgets sprints off road and just quite raceing go karts me and my son will try to get some more pictures ....great to here from all of you

david watkins