Quarter Midget Racers from Late 50's/early 60's

GINGERBREADMAN

post-3-1342577026.jpg

Our appreciation to Bart Stevens from Irving, Texas for the invitation to join in on the fun on September 22, 2012.

We hope all of the past Quarter Midget drivers will make plans to attend this important event.

For more information, copy the link below and paste in your header bar

http://radiusnation.net/

:rolleyes:

Plans are coming together very well for this year’s Racers Reunion Banquet on Saturday September 22nd. We will be back at PCS Productions in Irving, TX on their beautiful 9000 sq. ft. sound stage.

This year we will have Paul Page as the Master of Ceremony since one of the feature presentations this year will be about our regular Master of Ceremony, 3-time Indy 500 winner, Johnny Rutherford. The second presentation will be about the history of Quarter Midgets, a craze that swept the Nation in the 1950s. We will have folks here who drove these cars during this alluring time. We will also have a large number of vintage quarter midgets on display in addition to the other vintage race cars that will be on display.

In the afternoon we will have activities for you including Bench Racing, scrap books, a Racing Movie on the big screen & break-out sessions about historic racing.

It is hard to believe we could top last year’s event but we have so much planned for this year I hope you are here to be a part of this amazing day!

Tickets will go on sale August 1st. Keep an eye out for more details very soon.

Bart Stevens

214-293-3003

www.RadiusNation.net

• Replies 756
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks Randy!

There a couple reason why we chose to feature Vintage Quarter Midgets and one of them was the stories I have read on this thread over the last couple of years.

We are looking to have a great time and all who have participated or just love this type of racing are invited to attend. We still have room for a few more Vintage Quarter Midgets to display. They can be survivors or restored cars, just needs to be a roller. There will also be an assortment of other vintage race cars. We have a Larry Rice Champ car coming from OK and a sprint car coming from Kansas.

Please contact me off list at bart.stevens@verizon.net with questions.

Did I mention this would be a great time to get a picture of Johnny Rutherford with you & your own Quarter Midget!

Bart

Edited by BW Stevens

• 2 weeks later...

More information on Irving reunion

Tickets for this year’s Racers Reunion Banquet hosted by Paul Page are now on sale. We are returning to the beautiful PCS Productions sound stage in Irving, Texas on Saturday, September 22, 2012, for a full day of activities, good times and informative historic presentations.

Bench racing, a display of vintage race cars, scrap book tables, a racing movie on the big-screen and break-out sessions will start at 2:00 pm. Dinner will be severed at 7:00 pm prior to the feature presentations about Vintage Quarter Midgets and the Living Legend -- Johnny Rutherford.

Purchase your tickets soon because a sell out is expected early this year. Identified groups who buy 6-8 tickets will be guaranteed a table together. More details about how you can pay by check, credit card or PayPal and a map are at www.RadiusNation.net.

You will not want to miss the special guests who are coming to town to help us honor Johnny Rutherford. Continue to check the Facebook page for announcements and updates.

We will see you there!

Racers Reunion Banquet

Saturday, September 22, 2012

PCS Productions

1551 Corporate Dr. Suite 125

Irving, TX 75038

Doors open 2:00 pm

Dinner & Feature presentations 7:00 pm

Tickets $30 each

More info at 214-293-3003

www.RadiusNation.net

Bart Stevens

• 3 weeks later...

I bought this little Wahlborg last Saturday about 10 minutes from my house. A local Fresno car raced from 1958 to 1964. it has a nice running AA Continental motor. The original owner was getting pretty sentimental about selling it when I was leaving his house with the car in the back of my truck. I told him.... I only live a few minutes away and he could have "visitation rights" whenever he wants and then I drove off before he changed his mind !!

post-10164-1345681536.jpg

post-10164-1345681544.jpg

Edited by casper deuce

• 2 weeks later...

These are really great - this looks like the 500 model but can't tell without seeing the front.

I currently am in the process of doing a teardown of a '57 300 in hopes of spending my winter restoring, repairing and (hopefully not much) replacing items and materials on my midget that I had since I was a kid.

Unfortunately, the motor is no more. The motor was out of the car and a new crank was suppose to be installed. Bad timing and a nasty garage fire finished off the little Continental motor.

My hope is that I get the rest of the midget completed and that next year I can start my quest to locate a new motor.

This is a 300 series Wahlborg. The 500 had a more rectangular nose and also known as the "King Size" Wahlborg.

Midget 85

post-14289-1346471660.jpg

post-14289-1346471680.jpg

Wow !! That is a nice car GoGo, I don't see many Wahlborg's with an aluminum tube front axle, but I know they came from the factory like that. Does anyone out there know the year or option differances between a 300 model with the aluminum axle and a 300 model with the I beam steel axle? Please tell me you are not going to re-paint your car !!!

This is one I am going to get next weekend...

post-10164-1346537123.jpg

Edited by casper deuce

• 1 month later...

Yes indeed that is a nice Wahlborg midget!

As to the front axles, if I recall correctly that the I-Beam axles were on the first series of these little midgets which were being manufactured late 56 early 1957.

By 1958 the round tube axles were standard on the Wahlborgs.

I drove many of these little stormers! Weren't the best handling little midgets but sure resembled their Bigger Brother OFFY's during that time.

The bodies were well designed to look like the big midgets... :rolleyes:

• 3 weeks later...

Well! got all the molds of the original Pacemaker in tacked and a front body and belly pan mold pulled off a Pacemaker roadster and to my surprise what appears to be the original tail mold for the Viking Craft Roadster. I also got a box of Pacemaker Grills in perfect condition. The story goes that they were sold first in the mid sixties to someone in Washington State and that guy sold them to a fella in Tennessee in the nineties and the guy I got them from was in Michigan, they got some miles on them! They are in Great shape and just need waxing and there ready to pull parts from. I will try and find a buyer for the Viking mold and keep looking for a Pacemaker roadster tail that I can pull a mold from.

I would like to sell a complete body kit (3 pieces) with grill for $750 and I will make more grills as needed. I have been collecting parts to build my new clones and hope to start dad on them soon.

Danny Ruth

Pacemaker #1

DANNY..PLEASE GIVE US CONTACT INFO

post-11645-1353893474.jpg

post-11645-1353893506.jpg

post-11645-1353893549.jpg

post-11645-1353893626.jpg

post-11645-1353893658.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Well! got all the molds of the original Pacemaker in tacked and a front body and belly pan mold pulled off a Pacemaker roadster and to my surprise what appears to be the original tail mold for the Viking Craft Roadster. I also got a box of Pacemaker Grills in perfect condition. The story goes that they were sold first in the mid sixties to someone in Washington State and that guy sold them to a fella in Tennessee in the nineties and the guy I got them from was in Michigan, they got some miles on them! They are in Great shape and just need waxing and there ready to pull parts from. I will try and find a buyer for the Viking mold and keep looking for a Pacemaker roadster tail that I can pull a mold from.

I would like to sell a complete body kit (3 pieces) with grill for $750 and I will make more grills as needed. I have been collecting parts to build my new clones and hope to start dad on them soon.

Danny Ruth

Pacemaker #1

I can be reached kgbusa911@gmail.com

Lets build some Pacemakers!

• 4 weeks later...
The 1/4 Midget photos below were captured we think in California with the driver's name known to us as only "Hagemann"

Note the beauty of the carefully thoughtout designs reflecting the bigger brother midgets.

The photo is dated 1960

the driver of this car was named marvin webster. he had a chrome car out of california. he later got a new kurtis like the one richard shoji drove . marvins kurtis was chrome too.

• 5 months later...

Been awhile! Dad started building a continuation Pacemaker in March with just some simple dimensions I had aquired and low and behold I get contacted by a fellow Old Timer whom is part of the Mac O Chee group that has been featured in this forum in the past. Doug Plank whom currently lives in South Carolina had bought a stash of Vintage 1/4 midgets a few years back and in that stash was a Pacemaker survivor! We worked a deal and I got this complete unmolested car just as if it was parked after one season of racing in 58-59. I now have a car to copy every detail and build our New Pacemakers exactly as they were built in the 50's. The car has Precision 5 Spoke mag wheels a Goodyear Bluestreaks and Carlisles and is all Virgin but the steering wheel.

I have not decided if I will restore it our just clean it up as I don't have any pedigree on it. Maybe someone here knows the car. It is Dark Metalic Blue and has a 8 on it that is white and red like a ribbon.

Danny Ruth

dan@innovativerodding.com

post-11645-1374177094.jpg

post-11645-1374177106.jpg

• 1 month later...

Doug,

Keep us posted with the midgets. Bringing back memories to so many. Glad Doug contacted you as I know the racer will proove useful in making the new ones!

• 1 month later...

I am looking fopr any info. on these two cars. They are said to be from the Portland, Or. area, I would guess mid to late 1970's. The purple faded to brown car is a Rice brand 80 inch. at one time this car was yellow with orange and red stripes, it still has a couple of really cool Bobby Allison decals on it that look orig. The little green car is also a Rice based chassis (Chrome Rice front axle for sure) and has a handmade metal body (tailcone long gone) that appears to be original 1970's green. This is a short little dude! Thanks, Kenny.

post-10164-1380499934.jpg

post-10164-1380499955.jpg

post-10164-1380499981.jpg

post-10164-1380499994.jpg

post-10164-1380500290.jpg

post-10164-1380500308.jpg

post-10164-1380500329.jpg

post-10164-1380500345.jpg

post-10164-1380500360.jpg

post-10164-1380500373.jpg

post-10164-1380500386.jpg

post-10164-1380500401.jpg

• 2 months later...

Casper,

Based on the photos above, I would certainly say they are later year cars from the 70's. I am not sure how the rules changed during that time period and perhaps someone who was racing in that time would have a better answer for you as to the origin of these cars.

They both have a wider tracking stance and seem to be more chassis designed after the Go Karts in that span of time.

During this trasitional time period the designs and parts were somewhat being intergrated for both types of racing perhaps due to safety factors, advancement in speed, and most importantly part availability more readily available.

One thing to keep in mind with quarter midget racing is the little midgets were the inspiration for the Go Kart style racing or you might say the item that launched Go Kart racing. Go Karts were not thought of until Quarter Midget Racing took off in popularity. It was the ticket for grown ups to become kids and be able to enjoy "Juniors" ride without the restricted fiberglass body restraints ..especially if you were a long legged person.

Just like the "Big Boys"

In our efforts to cover as much information, and photos of the vintage and classic Quarter Midgets, we are always looking for photos and interesting items to keep our thread one of the most viewed items on LSSZ.

The "Roots" of pint size racing, the inspiration by Walt Disney, the love of competing and racing were all contibuting factors of Quarter Midgets. Although they have evolved into a different style, it is important to know where it all began. The photo in this caption truly reflects how youngsters had a chance to participate in the sport of midget racing just like the heroes they watched on the big tracks.

We watched in amazement the colorful, loud roaring midgets that made such an impact on the young lives of kids and inspired those kids to perhaps have an oppourtunity to experience the same thrill.

Perhaps at the same time encourage them to someday have their followers admire them also ..and perhaps on the same track.

( The photos below can best be served as a true example and do not represent the same drivers )

post-8338-0-12593100-1387098739_thumb.jpg

post-8338-0-02633600-1387105225_thumb.jpg

Many legends have come and gone. .. but the thrill of of racing forever lives on ..

Restored - Wahlborg "300" Quarter Midget

This is an awesome restoration of a Wahlborg Midget right down to the correct tire configuration, the added side exhaust pipe ( cosmetic reasons ) and enough zazzle to entice any youngster to write Santa ..

We salute the person who brought this little midget back to the recognition it deserves for the mid century toys for all us boys ..oh and girls too!

post-8338-0-64426800-1387104442_thumb.jpg

Restored - Wahlborg "300" Quarter Midget

Another great looking Wahlborg 300 Midget

Wahlborgs and RaceCraft midgets were perhaps some of the more economical midgets to purchase during the introduction of 1/4 Midget racing in the 50's and probably more plentiful. Not only was the pricing more suitable for the entry level racer but the eye catching appeal that could be related to the Big Brother Midgets that everyone was familiar and could also relate to. These midgets were the fore runners and designed to capture the Big Brother look in identity.

Competition now in demand ..

From these came many other versions with emphasis on handling, suspension, and last of all the builders own vision and style of midgets to add to the market.

We have covered the many factory offerings on this thread and see that many are on the search to find these little cars that so quickly came and went over the years. Some were stored in barns, attics, shops and even in scrap piles ready to be forever gone.

The little Quarter Midgets helped set a new form of racing in the mid century and put the trend in motion to move forward in allowing race fans of all ages and genders to experience the thrill of auto racing!

post-8338-0-46550000-1387106817_thumb.jpg