Quarter Midget Racers from Late 50's/early 60's

GINGERBREADMAN

ENDING DAYS OF QUARTER MIDGET RACING AT GULF FREEWAY

This photo illustrates Randy and Freddy Pryor (a fellow competitor) as discussion from Fred as to how his midget was reacting to ALKY Fuel and how the rear wheels would lose traction during acceleration.

Fred's Dad raced at Playland Park a few years in the Stock Car division and was "Ace Pryor" known to some.

I couldn't help but grin as I wasn't about to let Fred know you had to be gentle on the pedal coming out of the turns and then hammer it as you would feel the right rear slick began to grab..

NOTE:

The fence has been torn down at the Gulf Freeway track as it was being prepared for GO-Kart Racing and the end of Quarters were on their way out at this facility. You can see old tires that would serve as a barrier for loose Go Karts and to contain them. Nothing was more challenging then to hit tires which could actually throw a midget upside down due to the spring effect if you climbed over one or several at a time.

We eventually used this track for testing purposes only and this was perhaps my last drive on the track.

The hole in the turtle hull wasn't uncommon as competition advanced to help the engines breathe needed fresh cool air for the carb to suck down a breath. Ram tunnels were later added for velocity..

Racing was being resumed at the newly built Pasadena track near the rodeo grounds off Red Bluff Road.

post-8338-1225073663_thumb.jpg

Also note the "Mohr Buick" Sponsorship is now gone from the midgets side as this photo was taken. A new sponsor "Downey Brother Homes" was to replace the space for a short period of time..

Later the track was plowed under to make room for Bill McDavid Oldsmobile Dealership which was built over the track that was..

No one today would ever know a Quarter Midget track once exisited there in earlier days.. :(

• Replies 756
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

PASADENA WIN 1960

This photo was taken from an original slide made in 1960 as the colors are beginning to lose their quality as shown.

Fortunately, we were able to get this one up to view.

This shot is another win at the Pasadena race track after another feature win. Here you can get an idea of what the midget looked like in color.

Note the mag wheels and slicks that had been upgraded. If you are wondering, those are "General Tires" mounted on the midget. They don't even make them anymore..

post-8338-1225080659_thumb.jpg

Midget 85 was later sold and after an extensive search to find it again, we discovered it had been butchered up so that grown ups could ride in it..

The story goes that the gentleman that purchased the midget was to buy it for his own kids but later decided he wanted to modify the little racer so his butt would fit in it and basically destroyed the midget..

Someone failed to tell him that Go Karts were around for that reason..

I am sure there are many other sad stories of race cars that once was and now gone. <_<

Todays value of a Pacemaker Midget could be worth up to $2000.00 or possibly more in good condition. They were expensive in their days and were often substituted with less expensive midgets due their initial investment and added build up cost. True on many occasions for start up racing.

Other expensive midgets were the Moss Midgets mainly for the suspension components that were available on these two types of midgets that made them very competitive and for the desired handling characters for competition reasons.

THE REAL STORY OF THE WIN ABOVE at PASADENA..

If you look at the photo above of Midget 85 you will see rather grim faces on the officials sitting in the press box and not very pleased.

Here's the story..

This was a 35 lap feature race victory but only after strong protest from the officials.

In hot pursuit for the lead position a midget in front of me stalled after breaking a chain or either a locked up gear box.

Since I was directly behind him, I made contact ...rather a hard bump that sent him to the infield as his midget died and there was no place to go to avoid the tap in the rear.

Immediately, the "Black" Flag was pulled and pointed at me to leave the track for rough driving. Knowing this was not an intended bump and that the car actually stalled and died in front of me, I was not in the wrong!

This was on about lap 15 or 18 between turns 3 and 4 on the inside lane. Cars were bunched together entering the turn beside, behind and in front..

I stayed on the track battling the lead with other racers, one which was Larry Schild in the number 1 car.

For approximately 20 laps the black flag was waved at me everytime I crossed the start finish line to exit the track..which I ignored.

Lap after lap..the BLACK FLAG was now intense with wavement from the starter.

By the end of the race and the checker flag I was in the lead and came around for a victory lap as I had clearly won and leading when the checker waved.

The flagman refused to hand me the flag for the victory lap as I made three more laps after the checkers to attempt to take the flag. Immediately after the third cool down lap, the flagman drew both the Red and Black flag and waved them furiously at me..shouting stop the Car!

Well..

Next thing I knew, Dad and officials were all in the infield after I had stopped 85 on the start finish line.

After a healthy exchange of choice words and the driver and Dad of the bumped car admitted that it was not my fault that the car stalled in front of me and I accidentally gave him a jolt from the rear was everything settled..

That was one furious race and the competition was tough battling and lapping slower cars while working to take the lead. I think Larry and I swapped leads for several intense rounds.

The Pasadena Jaycees were determined that I had intentionally bumped the car in front just to take another position and were intent to disqualify me from the race.

After looking at the bumped car, everyone was content to know that a stripped slider key had failed causing the midget to lose it's shaft grip, thus the engine had no pull on the axle...thus a bump he got!

The moral of the story is stick to your guns when you know you are in the right. I could have easily taken the Black Flag and gave up the race but, I knew I had done nothing wrong on my part. Save the arguement for later.

It was an intense race and competition was heated and close. Those things can happen.

I received more praise from my Dad that day for doing what I knew was right..and not so much for winning the race. "Never quit or backdown when you know you are right" he said.

So, what about faces?

OK, the looks on the faces of the officials were mainly due to the embarresment and probably from a little less butt when Dad got involved ( a little Cherokee Indian Blood here )with what we both knew had happend was only an accident.

I got the win, the trophy and the snap shot it appears and on with racing we went.

The officials returned to the press box and glared after the occasion.. reluctantly.

It was never in my driving habits to Bully anyone on the track intentionally. If you gotta wreck your car to win or run someone over, your really the loser in the long run.

The challenge is to use strategy and planning while drifting around the oval. I somehow always liked being somewhere in the middle and pick off the competitors with a strike or pass plan.. sorta like shooting down planes!

My ideal win would be at the head of the pack by the end of the last two laps. Chasing down the competitors and watching their groove gave me the strike advantage of when and where they were most vunerable to slip by them. When racing, you gotta think fast and accurately

Just an opinion of one..and not a fact for many.

Racing 1/4 Midgets was surely an experience in the youthful molding years.

You are not just racing, you're learning values for life to come as I look back now..

Some things you just don't forget. Finding this photo brought back memories of this one race in 1960..

As Paul Harvey would say " Now you know the rest.. of the story" B)

Great story Randy. I totally concur with the driving habits. I never thought much talent was involved if you had to wreck or hit a man to gain position. If that's the only way you can make a pass, then you don't have a lot going for you. And yes, you made the right choice that day.

B)B)

Jim,

With all of us being racers in some sort of fashion rather 1/4 midgets, stock cars, or beyond, there is something we all learned behind the wheels of our race cars!

I always felt good to run a clean race, be as competitive as possible, and preserve your investment in your race car. You're never a loser when you do your best and give it all you got..

Be a great competitor but most of all..a Good Sport!

There's plenty of races to run and win.

I always liked the slogan that was painted on the dashboard of Fred Lorenza's stock cars.

It simply said "THINK" :ph34r:

ANOTHER VICTORY SHOT with 85

Another moment in time with another trophy won.

A cool day in October 1959 with Midget 85..

post-8338-1225248795_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

GRAND PRIX 1/4 MIDGET ADD ( 1950's )

Another Quarter Midget add reflecting the craze of the 50's racing!

This is a Grand Prix Racer shown..

post-8338-1226375871_thumb.jpg

RACECRAFT 1/4 MIDGET ADS ( 1950's )

Here's a couple of more adds promoting the Racecraft Midget that was pretty common among tracks.

You will see one that has been restored to it's original factory status further back on this thread.

So many selections were available for this new sport of 1/4 Midget Racing in the 50's..

post-8338-1226382480_thumb.jpg

Another add reflects even more detail of the little midget of the 50's..

post-8338-1226382765_thumb.jpg

The RaceCraft looks like a real midget of the day. the grand Prix looks just like the GP cars. Your 85 car looked like a big brother Midget. What brand was it, engine etc? The one on Ebay recently,I felt, was to much money for the condition of the car.

Jim

I want the $3.00 per week deal................................

Nick,

That is rather a bit of humor isn't it.."Warrenty"??

I know the warrenty wouldn't be in effect if they knew the mod's we were making to the little engines :rolleyes:

Jim,

The "Racecraft" and "Wahlborgs" were probably the most desirable in looks of the 50's style midgets that were a true replica of the Big "OFFY" Midgets of the 50's.

Some pretty desirable Fiberglass Bodies were also offered for those do it your self builders who wanted to build their own frames and suspension such as the Lil' 76 car I once drove.

All sanctioned 1/4 Midgets were true to the Continental engines mainly due to the performance parts that were offered and available for the different classes sanctioned back then.

Continentals were the "OFFY'S" to Quarter Midget Racing..

The 85 Midget was a Pacemaker manufactured in California and equipped with a Continental engine.

It came with the suspension elements which was not available on some of the other midgets and therefore were desirable for the characteristics needed in performance duties..

The Pacemakers were a little heavier than the Wahlborgs but made up their weight gain in handling spiffs and smooth operation.

They were awesome to drive after climbing out of other related midgets. I drove many different ones but, must admit the Pacemakers and Moss Midgets were probably the best engineered race cars in those days.

Can't speak for the other drivers but there was truly a difference and comfort driving one of these midgets with the suspension traits although they weren't actually patterned after looks but more on handling.

You could actually feel the right rear wheel "Bite" the pavement in acceleration out of the turns..

Doug McBride can probably agree with my statement on the "Pacemakers" since he drove them also.

The Quarter Midget on Ebay that did not meet the reserve Jim, was a "RAZZI HURRICANE" Midget.

They were around a bit and resembled the "Moss" Midget to some degree.

QUARTER MIDGET REUNION

Our first reunion of the Texas Quarter Midget Drivers is scheduled Sunday, November 16, 2008.

We will have pictures posted soon after the reunion as we look forward to seeing those that will make the reunion date.

Film at 11... :D

QUARTER MIDGET - RAZZI HURRICANE

Here's the midget that was recently For Sale but did not make the reserve.

The photos below reflect another Midget built in the 50's known as a "RAZZI-HURRICANE" in rare form..

post-8338-1226635741_thumb.jpg

Note the resemblence of a "Moss Midget" from a front view.

post-8338-1226635872_thumb.jpg

Although the Midget didn't make the reserve, it is still a collectors item and rarely found.

post-8338-1226635985_thumb.jpg

This racer was missing it's engine and needed a serious restoration but it's for sure you don't see many of these midgets in production or even in existance today..

Note the molded and blended air vents to cool the engine..

Highest bid was a little over $800.00 and failed to sell.. B)

Jim,

Once factory midgets were being produced, the Quarter Midget Association (QMA) needed a standard set of rules and guidelines for engine modifications. Just about all Quarters came with a "Box Stock" Continental for that reason.

It was practically the only engine that performance parts were available to purchase and there were many modifications for each class.

In summary, just about all manufactures made Continental engines their choice. Anything less would hurt their sales as Continentals were the Enigines to have.

Some earlier model midgets came with choices for "Non Competition" use engines that could be ordered.

Some of those had clutches attached to the little engines but was not acceptable to the QMA for racing.

As more and more midgets hit the market, the way to sell them was to equip them with the desired racing engines.

The name to have was ..Continental Engines all the way!

With Continentals out of production today, it makes it hard to restore an early midget as they were. If you have one, you hit gold!

Some of today's restoration midgets are going back to Briggs or Honda 120 engines just to bring them back to life.

One with a Continental is really a rare piece and challenge.

I'm sure parts are still available somewhere but mighty slim..

GULF COAST QUARTER MIDGET REUNION - November 16. 2008

Almost 50 years ago, little race drivers competed weekly for top honors to snag a trophy, a title, a kiss from the Trophy Queen and of course braggin rights..

Time passes quickly and now the conversations are still mainly about "Braggin Rights" but also some of the most memorable times of our lives...

Our Quarter Midget Racing Days for the drivers in Houston, San Antonio, Beaumont and other areas of Texas.

The following photos reflect our first reunion where drivers re unite and talk about those days of Quarter Midget Racing of long ago.

We are all grown up now and some retired or have at least traded our ribbons and trophies for an AARP Card!

It was good to see some of the drivers although some we have not been able to locate as of this date. There is however always another time and place..

Yes, we have all changed in this photo but our hearts and minds on this day were reflecting on a time when we all competed with each other and were also some of the founding roots of Quarter Midget Racing when it first began.. a time in place in the late 50's and early 60's.. ;)

post-8338-1226890419_thumb.jpg

Standing from Left to Right

Anthony Fasulo - Driver of Midget 13B

Randy (Coon) Shannon - Driver of Midget 85

Denny Burton - Driver of Midget 5

Gail Nolan - Driver of Midget 78 ( also sister of the Late Bubba Nolan Midget 77 )

Larry Robertson - Driver of Midget 8

Jeff Lynn - Driver of Midget 76

Doug McBride - Driver of Midget 500

Kneeling Below..

Larry Schild - Driver of Midget 1

Fred Taylor - Driver of Midget 13

Randy,

I am on the hunt for a Continental motor for my '57? Walhborg, do you have any pic's, model #ber's or serial #ber's? have all the parts except the motor and will be posting pic's of the start of the resto tomorrow.

Thanks, Lon

Lon,

There is a photo of the Continental Engine I believe on the second page of this thread that I posted some months back.

It is a AU7R and of course they are pretty much extinct now but I am sure there are some out there some place.

My suggestion would to put out an add for now. I am working on trying to locate some parts suppliers for the little engines and can only hope we find some soon.

We are looking forward to seeing the midget during and after your restoration on this project.

You will not do the midget any harm by freshening up the Briggs that is already in the car and set up with the gear drives. It appears that some of the restoration projects are even going to the Honda 120's and or 160's since Continentals are hard to find..

Also good to hear from you again

Lon,

I just finished my weekly Saturday Night Cruise Shows for the season and will attempt to start the Quarter Midget projects this winter hopefully.

The QM body is on hold until I build a new chassis and decide on how I'm going to build it. More than likely, it will sorta be a clone for one of my old midgets that I drove.

As to the engine, I would ask for photos of it. I'm not sure that model was used in QM's to my knowledge..?

I would still think the Briggs would do fine for the Wahlborg at least for now. If you do find a Continental you can always change it out at a later time.

The main thing is to get the chassis and body finished for now..

Can't wait to see it!

-Randy

GULF COAST QUARTER MIDGET REUNION ..continued

We may not drive Quarter Midgets any longer but there is one thing we all can do and that is order a steak!

MORE PHOTOS..

Doug McBride from San Antonio with his wife Francis. Doug reviews those old shots of racing days

post-8338-1226901151_thumb.jpg

Here's Fred Taylor showing Gail Nolan and myself (standing) a photo of his midget..below

post-8338-1226897015_thumb.jpg

post-8338-1226900054_thumb.jpg

AUGUST 10, 1958 - GULF FREEWAY 1/4 MIDGET TRACK

This article came out of the Houston Chronicle News Magazine section featuring the new craze in Quarter Midget Racing.

The article talks about the newly constructed track and also features Jeff Lynn at the bottom of the page in his Kurtis Kraft Midget.

Note the bleachers haven't been put up yet, and grass sprigs have just been planted.

I did recognize the midget on the inside row in the rear as being Lil 76' that I was driving then.

The photo was taken in early Spring and later published in August by the newspaper.

We will try and obtain a color version of this photo as move forward.

Article courtesy of Jeff Lynn

post-8338-1226925276_thumb.jpg

Randy,

I wanted to thank you, and Molly for preserving the history of our youth.

Frances and I want to thank you for including us in your reunion. We, as did the others, had a great time, and we look forward to the next one.

I'm sorry Sandra wasn't able to attend; we all hope she has a speedy recovery.

I felt honored to be in the presence of such great competitors, and such dear friends.

Now, if Larry would only share the mixture of that steak sauce.

Thanks,

Doug McBride...

Doug and Frances,

The pleasure is all ours and we do appreciate you both making the trip from San Antonio to kick off our first reunion for the Quarter Midget drivers in Texas!

We hope to gather more for the next reunion and also see the everyone again that attended our first meeting.

Hopefully, Sandra Honea can make the next one and we missed her at this reunion.

We will be adding more photos as we edit and upload..

Our best wishes to you and Frances

-Randy & Molly

Midget 85

Denny "HOT HEAD" Burton

We often grin when we think of Denny Burton.

Knowing Denny all these years has been a true friendship over the days.

Denny purchased my first Quarter Midget and actually got his start driving the old #7 around late 1958.

The car was repainted Blue and White with the #56 applied and a little "Red Headed" driver would go on to be a fierce competitor not only in Quarter Midgets but the Big Cars as well.

Denny would carry on the legend of racing from his late dad Don Burton and also the art of building race cars in his own fabrication shop known today as DB Motorsports

I can remember many years ago of the visits to his dad's shop on Fulton Street in Houston in the late 50's known to many as D&D Speed Muffler Shop..

Denny had a peddle car midget and we used to push each other around the parking lot in our younger days as if we were driving at Playland Park.

We later moved on to Quarter Midgets and raced each other in true fashion..

It was good to see Denny and Leah at the reunion although I see him on a frequent basis whenever possible.

I have some fab work for him to do..he just doesn't know it yet!

BELOW

Denny and Leah Burton

post-8338-1226988226_thumb.jpg

SPECIAL GUEST - Charlie Ray Schild

A Houston Racing Legend

Our 1/4 Midget reunion was further enhanced by this legend driver Charlie Schild who raced at Playland Park, Meyer Speedway and also involved with our midget racing.

Charlie is the Father of Larry and Jerry Schild who raced and carried on racing as their Dad did.

It was good to have Charlie attending our reunion and he hasn't changed a bit from the years that we've known him.

Charlie, our thanks for your attendance and all the stories you had to offer. We felt we were all in the pits again! Now...If only MJ could have been there!

Oh sure, we had to talk about Meyer Speedway just a little bit for Charlie's sake.. :rolleyes:

A racer at heart... with still a lot of Bark!

(Charlie in the Hawaian Shirt sitting, me standing behind him..)

post-8338-1226989575_thumb.jpg