Quarter Midget Racers from Late 50's/early 60's

GINGERBREADMAN

Midget I found some more pics the other day of my first car when my parents bought it. I'll get them scanned and posted. It was a 1978 Curtis Craft. that we ran all the way up to 1992 and won 4 track championships with against people who had brand new factory cars.

• Replies 756
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

MORE MANUFACTURED 50's Quarter Midgets

The following photos reflect still more manufactured midgets of the 50's in Quarter Midgets.

MOSS MIDGET

The Black Midget #1 is another shot of a Moss Midget. It was one of the more popular midgets in it's day.

The other photo is a Cherokee Midget..

post-8338-1217219352_thumb.jpg

post-8338-1217219400_thumb.jpg

MOSS MIDGET

Yeah Jim,

It was the only Quarter Midget I recall having simulated "Knock Off Hubs" on the wheel concept.

Great suspension on this midget also. The front suspension would actually raise up when you hammered the accelerator!

Raced against these midgets many times. They were cool to watch on the track as well as compete against.

DOUG McBRIDE at 5 1/2 YEARS OLD

Another newspaper clipping of a very young but talented 1/4 Midget driver from San Antonio.

Check out the midget and driver, Doug McBride in the beginning..

post-8338-1217305296_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

MORE FUN QUARTER MIDGET MEMORIES

The photo below reflects yet another driver experiencing the fun of 1/4 Midget racing in it's earliest days.

The race car below looks to be a "Race Craft" Midget.

Circa 1950's B)

post-8338-1217997329_thumb.jpg

MORE..

The popularity of 1/4 Midget racing in the beginning marked a new form and era with the new sport.

The crowds came to watch the never before seen racing where drivers hoped to make the big times at an early age of their career.

This photo shows how it was in the early days as cars exhibit the interest by attending the track to watch the wanna be future racers do their exhibits on the track.

post-8338-1217999679_thumb.jpg

RESTORED 1/4 MIDGET

A piece of history is preserved here with a vintage 50's Midget that has a new home as a reflection to the old racing days.

These little racers are becoming a collector desire for many racing fans young and old. :blink:

Perhaps for the 'KID" in all of us..

Simply speaking, it was just plain fun, and many drivers would be molded for bigger cars to follow in life.

If you raced one, you will never forget the thrill as a youngster and your very first car would just happen to be a Race Car!

An Offeyette Midget Below

post-8338-1218000941_thumb.jpg

Randy & Terry Discuss 1/4 Midgets and NASCAR

The photo below captures Terry LaBonte on the right and myself on the left at Houston's Autorama.

Terry and I discussed the Golden Days of 1/4 Midget racing along with his NASCAR career.

As many know, both Terry and Bobby started in 1/4 Midgets in their early days and then later raced at Meyer Speedway as well as other Texas Tracks.

The career of Terry is another example of how many drivers and champions got their start in 1/4 midget racing..

Our conversation was an interesting one indeed.

Terry, being a little on the quite side won the NASCAR Race at Texas Motor Speedway in 1999..

Both Terry and Bobby were champions...and from Texas! B)

post-8338-1218357917_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

MODERN DAY 1/4 MIDGET FLIP

Heres a flip on a smaller 1/20th mile track..

Note the driver's head in the slow motion replay and how the helment is out of the roll cage area..

Click here >>

A larger track and faster speeds for the the little guys below..

Click here >> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t0BdQv_8cHE

Boy, You guys were really moving in those cars! Those looked like some well maintained tracks. Were they local tracks? Wish I had been involved in it.

ANSWER TO QUESTION:

Jim,

The 1/10th mile track was located in New York.

Not sure where the 1/20th mile track was in the video's above..

-Randy

Jim,

We did have fun and we also learned the spirit of competition and a few racing tricks along the way in those little midget years.

Like all racing sports, we had our good days and our bad ones, some close calls and also runaway wins.

I remember going over a stack of hay bails in Lake Charles Louisiana. I was about 6 to 8 feet in the air and was wide open throttle after mixing wheels with a fellow driver in turn one. I hit the loose marbles on the bank and with a little help was exiting the track via the pit exit on to the track.

Midget 85 was flying (Talking about floating valves ) due to incorrect gear and the race was a dead duel.

The white flag was displayed and that's when all hell broke lose entering turn one on this very fast 1/10 mile track!

We needed a 16 tooth gear box gear but, only had a 14 with us at this track which was larger than any I had driven on. I must have been doing 45 to 50 MPH on this long straight away track!

With the midget about to get upside down up in the air, I landed on the left front wheel tucked down for a possible roll and the midget came down on all four again and then began swapping ends about 4 turns.

The pit area had "River Rock" on the surface which caused the midget to go loopy loop after making contact.

The scary thing I will never forget was the pick up truck that was parked in the pits and the rear steel bumber that I was headed for which could have decapatated me.

The midget cock pit was about 12" from the bumber face forward when it finally quit spinning and the nose of the midget was underneath the bumper. We had NO FULL Roll cages in those days :blink: !!

Make a long story short, I was out of the midget and headed for the driver on the track in a flash.. after I realized that I did not soil my briefs..

The race was RED Flagged and the other driver Black Flagged for poor sportsmanship.

My Dad and the other driver's dad were nose to nose in a colorful conversation as I was headed for the infield.

That day was July 12, 1959 and dad was 33 years old as that was his birthday. I had told dad that I was going to win the feature race before the race started and give the trophy to him as a gift.

It wasn't the way I wanted to win the race but, non the less I did win the trophy which was my "33rd" trophy as well.

Isn't it Ironic??

33rd trophy..33rd Birthday

That was a day to remember as a thrill and a spill..

There are many more race stories we could all write about. The memories last a long time..

TWO DRIVERS.. RE-UNITE

If you have reached this portion of the Classic Quarter Midget thread, you have learned some of the beginnings of 1/4 Midget Racing in Texas and other locations.

Doug McBride made a surprise visit recently at one of my Niftee50ees Classic Car Shows in Spring, TX after driving from San Antonio.

As you can see, we have cars of a different nature of interest today.

Doug belongs to a Corvette Club in San Antonio, while I host classic car shows in the Houston area.

Below is a shot of Kay Burroughs in her 1932 Ford Roadster as she leaves the Saturday night show, Doug and I grab a shot with this classic Ford Roadster!

We managed to get another photo shot or two together at the show and a warm handshake and slap on the back after a 48 year period from our early racing days.

It has been a long time since those days of Quarter Midget Racing in the early days. To see Doug again after all these years brought back many memories.

We owe our thanks to Texas Tom for his role in finding the old drivers and hooking us up with information.

My thanks to Doug McBride for the drive to Houston and for his efforts to re-unite once again.

We're looking forward to meeting up with other fellow drivers this fall.

Hope you enjoyed the classic car show Doug! :)

TOP PHOTO - August 1960 - Doug on the Left..

BOTTOM PHOTOS - August 2008 - Doug on the Right

post-8338-1219635505_thumb.jpg

post-8338-1220251818_thumb.jpg

post-8338-1220251958_thumb.jpg

I think this is awesome, Randy!

And I truly appreciate all the hard work Randy puts into the very popular history section. Every day I get email and registration requests from people who have Googled some name from the past or a long-forgotten track and found this site.

And Tom Taylor (txtom on here) is one of those guys you really can't say enough positive stuff about... Without a doubt he's one of the most well-respected members of our Texas racing community and a trusted friend of mine. Thanks for making this happen, Tom.

Nick

What can I say folks..

I used to be taller and bigger than Doug in those early days.

Doug just caught up with me..that's all :rolleyes:

Besides, I'm a little older than Doug and....you start shrinking after a period of time.

post-8338-1220243360_thumb.jpg

PROFESSIONAL MIDGET DRIVER - DOC COSSEY

While digging through more of my archives, I found another photo of Doc Cossey presenting the flag honors to myself after winning another race at the Gulf Freeway 1/4 Midget track in Houston in 1958.

Doc was a great midget driver and having the honors delivered by him was an honor itself..

It wasn't unusual to see many of the drivers from Playland Park attending the Quarter Midget track.

I can personally recall Charlie Schild, MJ and Don Burton, Buddy Rackley among just a few.

Racing in any form or age was an interest for all to participate..

Doc was rather quite and all the young racers looked up to him at the track when he attended.

Having professional drivers attending gave all the young drivers a since of pride and drive to be recognized..

:)

post-8338-1220255598_thumb.jpg

All right!!! What did you do? Doc looks angry.................. :D:D:D:D Are you sure that was 1958? Maybe 57?

PM sent........................Just send me an email reply.................

Edited by jakdad

HI,

I recently found one of these little beautys and its all complete. To the best of my investigating its a WAHLBORG, only it has a LAUSON eng. from 56.

I would like an expert to look at it . This user name is also my yahoo e mail address. I cant seem to get my pics on this site.

If you are interested in this car please email me.

Thanks,

Dan

Dan,

Thanks for stopping by the Quarter Midget Site and good to see you here.

I'm not an expert but, I will try and help with whatever I can with the midget. With what I know and participated with in those early years, maybe I can shed some light

I raced against many different midgets in those days and drove several more so, let's see what you have.

I am interested in seeing the photos and you can send them by my email address.

I will be happy to size and post for you..

You have my curiosity stirred up now so, send me a PM off the thread forum and I will give you instructions with the photos

-Randy

CALIFORNIA BARN FIND :huh:

I recently spoke with Dan in California who found this site in reference to 1/4 Midgets of the 50's.

Dan emailed me a few of the photos of this Quarter Midget for posting.

Talking about a rare find? This little midget even has me puzzeled as to construction or possible manufacturing credit.

It appears this midget was hand built or attempted to be cloned from a Wahlborg midget and fitted with an after market body.

The steering wheel does not look original and was possibly replaced by some other source.

The body has age wrinkles from possibly the heat and other weather factors of a barn but still salvagable with some work.

Asleep in a barn for no telling how long..

This little racer was discovered by Dan in Southern California and was scheduled to be hauled off to the junk yard as junk from an abandoned barn.

Amazing isn't it?

Good find Dan! ;)

post-8338-1221019318_thumb.jpg

post-8338-1221019376_thumb.jpg

MORE PHOTOS..

As I review the photos even closer, I see a good resemblence to the Wahlborg frame pattern and bumper patterns.

They are however much larger than Wahlborgs' and the front suspension appears to have been special built with leaf springs for handling characteristics..

The nerf bars are different and also appear to have been special fabricated parts for this midget.

The tail section looks like it might have been from a Wahlborg midget itself.

More research will be given to this midget in efforts to find more history on this little racer..

post-8338-1221020292_thumb.jpg

post-8338-1221020340_thumb.jpg