Is MSD all that?

zoom

Is MSD the only or best ignition control out there?

Does anyone run another brand? If you run something else, what brand, part # and what kind of results do you get?

If MSD is the best, who carries it for the cheapest price.

Thanks yall

i used to run mallory .. it was ok ..had some problems with it ..we have had msd for aboult three years ..and it has not been any problem .. i know others in our class run.s msd and also havent had any problems ..the distributor we have works great ...you can change curve with out takeing it apart just pop the cap and rotor make the change in seconds and go ..... mallory well .....as for cheaper ..every where seems to be the same price ...

It depends on what you run. For the 4 cylinders, MSD is overkill. Most of the later electronic ignitions will do just fine.. For V8s, under 6000 RPM, use the factory electronic ignition - GM HEI or equivalent. For over 6000, MSD works well but there are other options such as Jacobs or Davis. Coil saturation is the big issue and remember that a 4 cylinder at 8000 RPM is only hitting the coil at the same rate as a V8 at 4000 RPM..

It depends on what you run. For the 4 cylinders, MSD is overkill. Most of the later electronic ignitions will do just fine.. For V8s, under 6000 RPM, use the factory electronic ignition - GM HEI or equivalent. For over 6000, MSD works well but there are other options such as Jacobs or Davis. Coil saturation is the big issue and remember that a 4 cylinder at 8000 RPM is only hitting the coil at the same rate as a V8 at 4000 RPM..

some of it maybe over kill .i will agree.. but it sure made a differents ..

I prefer MSD hands down for competition. For street cars, I use the factory electronic ignition and recurve the distributor to suit the application. I have use MSD on street cars but only because it came that way and I was to lazy to take it off. If it ain't broke.........................

• 2 weeks later...

I have close to $700 worth of MSD ignition on my mustang and its not over kill. I have ran just about everything there is on the 2.3 ans Msd is by far the best way to go and its not over kill my car runs so much better with it. ? for you 1-CREW are you a ROCKET scientist or just someone who pretends to have an answer for everything.

... for you 1-CREW are you a ROCKET scientist or just someone who pretends to have an answer for everything.

1-Crew - otherwise known as Jay Foy - is one of the sharpest racing minds around. He's very well versed in a number of areas and it shows in his informative, constructive posts here on Texas Speed Zone.

By the way, he will be the TPS Chief Tech for 2008.

Nick

im with nick he has a few championships with bill labarge .. he probably forgot more than you and i will ever know aboult a few things ...with him being tps teck man ..you better have your eggs lined up right ..lol i give that man alot of respect ...

... for you 1-CREW are you a ROCKET scientist or just someone who pretends to have an answer for everything.

1-Crew - otherwise known as Jay Foy - is one of the sharpest racing minds around. He's very well versed in a number of areas and it shows in his informative, constructive posts here on Texas Speed Zone.

By the way, he will be the TPS Chief Tech for 2008.

Nick

Its called giving him a hard time its getting old pickin on SLOWTIMER i meen oldtimer. But MSD is not over kill for 4 cyl. unless maybe your using it on a complete stock motor then yeah it would be a waist of money but someone with alot of motor its a very smart investment.

1-Crew is correct,the coil is the key to a hot spark.At SAS one time my Scirroco had a slight sputter at RPM,I pulled the plugs and #4 had no electrode or tip.It was a hollow core but was still firing most of the time.The fire is so hot sometimes it would set off my timing lite before I hooked up the plug reciever.I figgured this was the best coil so I put it on my Ford modified,348cid.I used a stock module and never missed a beat.Later I added a MSD box to have a rev limiter at 8000rpm.MSD said to use a coil with no more than 1 ohm.The VW electronic coil has 1 ohm.I never fouled a plug even with #33s.The VW stock electronic coil beats any other coil period.The VW watercooled point coil doubled the spark over a bosch blue coil and did not fade at RPM.

As far as curving a distributor,I always used a stock dist on everything.Only because my pocketbook is so poor.On my V8 Ford this was a bad mistake.One night mine broke and I bought a rebuilt at a local store.The next week I broke my crank.Later I put my indestructable 302 back in and broke the crank again the same place.Later I found out the dist was overadvancing due to bad weights.Since race cars run wide open next time I will use a dist thats locked.

1-Crew is indeed a smart cookie.He helped me with a traction problem on another forum.The missing link I was looking for.What is your view on a locked dist verses a curved one?

As with anything, there are pros and cons..

Pros: once it is set, you know where it is. One less thing to go wrong internally on the distributor.

Cons: makes it difficult to start the car, especially when it is hot. Potential for performance loss at low RPM (think re-starts).

Personal preference is a mechanical advance with limited range. Go inside a Ford distributor and on many models you will find the plate is reversible, one side allows something like 17 degrees advance mechanically, the other is 25 or so (memory is iffy on the details but that was 25 years ago..). use the short side and light springs so all the advance is in about 3000 rpm or so. Always check total timing at 4000 rpm or so to make sure.

If you want to spend the money, you can do the same thing with MSD modules. They have various types of timing control with the simplest being a fixed retard that can be manually activated (for cranking) or activated by a RPM switch (another module). For just firing the mixture, MSD is not required but it does offer the ability to put in timing control and RPM limit.

On 8 cyl Mustangs we have had several that had miss problems. The miss would be on different cyl, so after several calls to them we finally got a guy that would admit they had some issues and suggested removing the 6AL to see if miss would clear up. It did, unit went back got fixed; came back put in and worked fine. One unit was so bad at SAR that it sounded like a diesel. Bypassed unit(6AL) and car ran fine.

The 6AL in my truck was an older unit. I got to be friends with another tech who is no longer there. He had me send it in for updates and they found three bad diodes and six bad resistors. Odd thing is my truck didn't have a kiss. When it came back it did have more power and is more responsive than before we sent it off...

Try this:

MSD(El Paso)

915-855-7123

Ask for Tech support. Tell them you used to deal with Phillip and know he is gone. Ask to speak to their lead tech on whichever product you have.

ASA, or is it ARCA that requires Crane ignition components? Maybe Hooters, anyway, haven't heard anything negative about them. I have always used MSD because it was easy to send it to ElPaso when repairs were needed and the tech line was extremely helpful! Also, repairs were always cheap if not free.

As for cheapest place, shop around but you will find most to be about the same as MSD has required all retailers of MSD products to sell their products at a minimum price.

turbotoddie

• 3 weeks later...
Stick your finger in the end of one of your plugwire's, have someone turn the motor over....then do it with MSD......Leave us a message to what you think :blink:

Or just stick two butter knives in the wall socket and there you go. Pretty much same feeling your gonna get from MSD. And it hurts.

WE SHOWED A GUYS WIFE ONE NIGHT WHILE WORKING ON OUR CAR JUST TO SHUT HER UP ..HIS IDEAL NOT MINE . ALLDAY LONG SHE DROVE US NUTS WANTING TO KNOW WHAT THE BOX WAS FOR . SO WE SHOWED HER ..HE GAVE HER THE PLUG WIRE AND HIT THE IGNITION .AND WALA HER LONG HAIR STOOD STRIEGHT UP ...SHE NEVER BOTHERED US AGAIN ...

I went through a number of ignition setups on my hotrod before we found something that worked. The truck is an '84 C10 with a mildish small block that is drag raced, auto-xed and towed with, so it gets beat on. The stock dist. we used first had too much wobble and caused spark issues and the Accel Billet Dist with Super Coil was burning up the Accel moduls due to too much heat. We ended up running the Accel Billet Case with a 6A and external Blaster coil and everything has worked fine since, not a single bobble or issue. The truck definalty made more power with the 6A but it does make tuning a little more difficult since it will basically burn anything this side of muddy water. Besides that, no issues.

• 3 weeks later...

MSD is a 1960's technology ANALOG capacitive discharge system.

IT IS NOT DIGITAL,,,the control box is filled with 1960's transistors,capacitors, resistors and other Analog stuff soldered to a circuit board.

Nascar teams wanted to run modern digital ignition control boxes but were not allowed by nascar.

this is why for years in NASCAR they had to have a back up box,,cause like a 1960's TV they would fail.

MSD only has multiple sparks BELOW 3,000 rpm,,,Above 3,000 rpm,,,it is single spark.

everything a msd does can be done in the size of a stock GM HEI modual. because the HEI is digital.

RUn the MSD HEI system or the Perfomance Distributors HEI system,,,both are based on the GM HEI digital system and they have multiple sparks below 3,000 rpm. they are simpler, cheaper, and more reilable.

http://www.performancedistributors.com/

Archived