2008 Houston Motorsports Park Rules

I have worked with several Mod teams and one or two truck teams running the 8" Goodyears. These tires are the most repeatable tires I have ever worked with in over 30 years in the sport. The are also the longest lasting, most predictable tires I have ever worked with.

Unless there are insurmountable supply obstacles, both the trucks and the mods should be on the 8" Goodyears. I also see no performace reason why this same tire could not be used on all but the Grand Stocks at THR.

I like the Hoosiers too, but they really only have a few really fast laps in them every heat cycle and are only good for a very few heat cycles. In the end, the well-funded teams will use new Hoosiers while everyone else will use the leftovers and run them to the cords (junk tires).

One of the Modified teams I worked with, on the other hand, ran a set of Goodyears through at least 50 heat cyles with very little, if any drop off in times. If anything, they got better after the first few heat cycles.

Nick

No need to re invent the wheel. What has worked best, so far, and was the easiest entry for a new car to try pavement?

TD et al, changed all "types" of mods to a single tire. Car count.... up or down? All gas...up or down? A dirt car with a vanilla 383 had to buy a complete gas fuel system and add 400 pounds of lead in a way that balances at 56% left....seen many curious dirt cars trying pavement lately? Can't imagine why not.

so, Mary Ann, to answer you question, F53's on crate mods, Tams gas 2 bbl and Tams alcohol 2bbl. 970's on everything else. If this years statistics show that the crates need a little weight hung on the Tams (or vice versa), then do it. All run at 58% left and you're done...no mystery, everybody has seen it work. If Goodyear had better availability and a slower tire for the open cars that would be fine, but it's still a "guess" instead of returning to a "known". I have no problem with the Goodyear tire itself.

As far as racing dates go, I have enough time for about half a dozen THR races. It seems no matter which 6 I get the time off for, 1 or 2 rain out and a work crisis usually kills 1 too.

JMO

Jay

I like that plan

Should quit changing the tire rules and let the guys continue as they are, since HMP insisted that their classes run the Goodyears, then let them, I haven't seen that many of their cars at THR to justify making all the THR teams spend another 400 on a set of tires due to someone changing rules in the name of saving money. With that train of thought as the song goes turn out the lights, at least in asphalt racing. We may just see the grand stocks with the largest car count overall sue to the tire rule being a street tire only, and people tired of all the other classes BS.

Archived