1960's CLEVELAND SPEEDWAY

Guest HUFF MOTORSPORTS

hey guy's' this is del, i'm just using my sisters comp. right now. jimmy, i told many people about that 3 door car and still get laugh's to this day, if i'm not mistaken, howl meed that had the frame and body shop on n. shepherd where harris county body shop is now, put that on for dad, because they couldn't find a 2dr. quarter in time for the next race.

i also remember that billy drove dad's car at cleveland after dad left meyer and went to dirt, if i'm not mistaken, it was flipped at cleveland but i think it was the first time dad drove on dirt? i'm not sure if billy or dad was driving it that night. one time at that same track, there was a picture of it into the light pole in the infield. didn't billy jump the wall at cleveland and put his modified into a pond at the end of the track?

hope to see you guy's soon, mis all of you!!! thanks, little harris ;)

p.s. jimmy, you never seen me with tranny grease from head to toe, have you? :P

hey guy's' this is del, i'm just using my sisters comp. right now. jimmy, i told many people about that 3 door car and still get laugh's to this day, if i'm not mistaken, howl meed that had the frame and body shop on n. shepherd where harris county body shop is now, put that on for dad, because they couldn't find a 2dr. quarter in time for the next race.

i also remember that billy drove dad's car at cleveland after dad left meyer and went to dirt, if i'm not mistaken, it was flipped at cleveland but i think it was the first time dad drove on dirt? i'm not sure if billy or dad was driving it that night. one time at that same track, there was a picture of it into the light pole in the infield. didn't billy jump the wall at cleveland and put his modified into a pond at the end of the track?

hope to see you guy's soon, mis all of you!!! thanks, little harris ;)

p.s. jimmy, you never seen me with tranny grease from head to toe, have you? :P

DEL I ONLY REMEMBER GOING TO CLEVELAND ONCE. I WAS IN THE SERVICE DURING THOSE YEARS. I DIDN'T GET BACK TILL 1970. BACK WHEN YOU WERE YOUNG THATS THE ONLY WAY I SAW YOU. HEAD TO TOE IN TRANSMISSION GREASE. LOL

post-3-1268713237.jpg

post-3-1268713243.jpg

post-3-1268713248.jpg

post-3-1268713255.jpg

..you know those little wheeels with three and a half power motor i saved all summer long to buy from whites .....i think it cost me $66 .00 for that mower ..i was ten years old then ..

Whites Auto Stores - That's an interesting memory in itself. I'm guessing most people won't recognize it.

our whites was wiped out by hurracain celia in 1970 ...i remember the national guard standing if front of the downed store .i ask if they would shoot looters .... in a heart beat one .said ...so any thought of going in left my mind fast ..lol .........shoppers world .. thats a good one ..never walked into the one we had .....the old store is now a large in door flee market ...

• 9 months later...

hi guys i know its been awhile since anyone posted on this subject but my dad tried to buy that old place back in the 80s when i was a kid,then years later i was a member of a hunting club that used part of that property i had to explain it all when several members asked why someone would build such a huge wooden corral and not just use barbed wire......and several years back that land was devided and someone now has a nice brick house right at the end of the old track,,,i wonder if they even know what that place used to be????

HEY. I SAW ON THE CLEVELAND SPEEDWAY RULES, IT LIST THE PROMOTER AS HAL MC CLAIN. DOES ANYONE KNOW IT HE LATER BECAME THE RADIO ANNOUNCER IN HOUSTON AND WAS KILLED IN A PLANE CRASH TRYING TO SET A RECORD DOING ROLL OVERS IN IT?

Jimmy,

I didn't see a reponse to your question, but I am fairly certain that 60s era Cleveland Speedway promoter Hal McClain is the same Hal McClain that was on radio at least into the 70s, KENR 1070 AM as I recall. From what I remember, he was killed when his plane crashed during an air show.

• 2 weeks later...
Jimmy, do you happen to know when/where this #1 & 2 car were photographed and who they are exactly - I just love these

old Playland (era) photos!!

ON THE LEFT IS JOHNNY REIFF AND THE RIGHT OS LUTHER COSTELLOS (MS) OF HOUSTON ENGINE & BALANCING

• 4 months later...

I love all these comments and pictures, this is what I grew up on. My Dad was JC (Clayton) Davis and my Granpa was Pop Davis. Our cars were driven by Roy Cody and Billy Griswald. I just passed this forum on to my brother Wayne Davis who as an adult helped Ricky Allen and my husband Terry Brenan who also raced @ Moody & Clary, Big H etc. so I know they will have a lot to say. I know my Aunt has all of my grandparents pictures so I'll try to post some.

:)

• 4 weeks later...

Archived