1960's CLEVELAND SPEEDWAY

Guest HUFF MOTORSPORTS

Guest HUFF MOTORSPORTS

I'M GOING TO HAVE A LOT OF STUFF TO PUT ON HERE.

IT'S GONNA TAKE A WHILE SO BEAR WITH ME.

THIS IS THE FRONT OF THE BOOK THAT I HAVE.

THE HWY NOW IS 787 AND IS NEAR THE CLEVELAND AIRPORT.

THANKS NICK,

[resized by Nick Holt, 11/14/07]

post-3-1195094356_thumb.jpg

Thanks!!

I went with my dad and a friend of ours back in the 80's just to visit the old site. I remember everything being grown up, but you could still make out some old wooden wall.

Heard its demise was that stands collasped and that pretty much shut it down.

Have you tried to look at a current aerial view to see if an outline is still visible? I looked on terraserver, but could not make out anything. Which said of the hwy 787 was it on?

Guest HUFF MOTORSPORTS

YOUR WELCOME,

JUST GLAD THAT WE KNEW SOMEONE THAT MADE A COPY OF THIS BOOK FOR US.

THIS WEEK I'M TRYING TO GET RACE CARS READY FOR AUTO RAMA CAR SHOW IN HOUSTON.

I STILL HAVE ABOUT 64 PAGES OF THIS BOOK TO POST SO I'LL GET SOME MORE ON HERE AFTER THE SHOW.

THANK YOU,

JANETTE

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

here's some more jimmy, thanks del ;)

$1.50 to get in the gate ...man alot of money back then ...aint worth spit now .i worked mowing yards back then .thats what i charged most poeple ..if i did four yards that day ..i was rich ...there wasnt many small yards back then .and pushing a mower was work ...you know those little wheeels with three and a half power motor i saved all summer long to buy from whites .....i think it cost me $66 .00 for that mower ..i was ten years old then ..

..you know those little wheeels with three and a half power motor i saved all summer long to buy from whites .....i think it cost me $66 .00 for that mower ..i was ten years old then ..

Whites Auto Stores - That's an interesting memory in itself. I'm guessing most people won't recognize it.

how about the globe shopping centers, or shoppers fair at crosstimbers and n.shepherd, and the old woolco stores.

HEY. I SAW ON THE CLEVELAND SPEEDWAY RULES, IT LIST THE PROMOTER AS HAL MC CLAIN. DOES ANYONE KNOW IT HE LATER BECAME THE RADIO ANNOUNCER IN HOUSTON AND WAS KILLED IN A PLANE CRASH TRYING TO SET A RECORD DOING ROLL OVERS IN IT?

DEL DO YOU REMEMBER THE OLD 55 CHEVY BRONCO OF YOUR DAD'S AT MEYERS. IT WAS A 2 DOOR SEDAN, GOT ONE OF THE QUARTER PANELS SMASHED. INSTEAD OF PUTTING AA QUARTER PANEL ON IT, THEY WELDED ANOTHER DOOR IN IT'S PLACE. THE ONLY 3 DOOR I EVER SAW. LOLIT WAS # 29 IF I REMEMBER RIGHT.

# 9 CAR BILLY GRISWOLD

CLEVELAND SPEEDWAY - MODIFIED CLASS

SIGNED & DATED OCTOBER 22, 1966

THE OTHER CAR IN PHOTO IS # 75

I REMEMBER ONCE AT CLEVELAND THEY BROKE THE MAIN REAR LEAF SPRING ON THE #9 MODIFIED AND JOHNNY REIFF AND CREW WENT OUT INTO THE WOODS AND CUT A TREE DOWN AND WEDGED AND CHAINED IT UNDER THE CAR. IT WORKED. THEY RAN THE FEATURE WITH IT. THATS A TRUE STORY. LOL.

$1.50 to get in the gate ...man alot of money back then ...aint worth spit now .i worked mowing yards back then .thats what i charged most poeple ..if i did four yards that day ..i was rich ...there wasnt many small yards back then .and pushing a mower was work ...you know those little wheeels with three and a half power motor i saved all summer long to buy from whites .....i think it cost me $66 .00 for that mower ..i was ten years old then ..

second bic i every owned was a texas ranger from white's on yale and 18th st.

Archived