IMCA

THE ONES THAT THINK THEY WILL NOT GET TECHED SO THEY INSTALL A SET OF ROLLER ROCKERS OR SOMETHING LIKE THAT CAUSE THEIR BUDDY RUNS THEM AND SAYS IVE NEVER BEEN CHECKED AND IF I GET CAUGHT OH WELL IF THERE ARE CLEAR RULES AND THEY K NOW THE GUY NEXT TO THEM DOESNT HAVE THEM BECAUSE HE GOT TECHED LAST WEEK THAN I BELIEVE THEIR WILL BE LESS LOADING UP BECAUSE ITS NOT U OWEN DQ N THEM ITS IMCA RULES U DONT MAKE THE RULES AND LIKE IMCA SENDS TOMMY TO CERTAIN TRACKS OUT OF THE BLUE TO DO TECH JUST TO TEACH UR TECHS WHAT TO LOOK 4 AND TO KEEP THE RACERS HONEST AGAIN THE CARS THAT RUN AT STS WONT HAVE TO CHANGE MUCH AND IM SURE THEY STILL WILL WIN OR RUN WELL JMO GREG

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As a long time fan of dirt racing, I think sanctioning (especially IMCA) is the way to go. I've been to a number of sanctioned tracks over the last couple years (Grand Prairie, 281, Devil's Bowl, Southern Speedway, Kennedale) and the car counts are consistantly high in the sanctioned classes, and the racing is ALWAYS competitive. From reading the previous posts, I'm assuming that the SouthernSportMod and the Modified are the primary classes being considered for IMCA. I attended at least 10 race nights at STS this season... and would also highly suggest that the pure stock division be considered for the IMCA Hobby Stock. I think that could become the class with the highest car count at STS...although the SportMods may prove that theory false. Thanks.

...just a fan.

Got I-Stock?

The most common complaint I have seen on message boards over the years is the LACK of tech. It is incessant - every season, almost every track.

The only times the presence of inspection is complained about is when someone is ruled illegal due to something which is borderline and NOT a performance advantage.

Owen, I was there when some of that tech you were talking about went down. I know of some that you are talking about that had to pull heads and pans in order to inspect rods and pistons. They did not like it because of the dirt that got into there motors. That can easily be resolved with an access hole in the pan and a scope. They used one at Lubbock last year as I remember and we did not have any problem with it. My point is with a few simple tools for tech, and not having to completely expose the internal parts of your engine to dust and debri would satisfy some of those that did not come back. For the others, it would just be a matter of time for them to get legal and they would be back, trust me, they want to race. All of the other tech issues are simple things like placement of upper and lower A arms, checking for offset bushings and other trick stuff on the upper and lower control arms, wheel base, etc. I have seen some pretty neat stuff that Tommy Simons used that I am sure you could get him to duplicate and come down and show you how to use. Clay

P.S. I just read Bobby's reply and have to completely agree. Most complaints not only on the message boards but also at the tracks is a lack of tech or being DQ'ed for a non performance issue. Re: No gloves.

ITS IMCA RULES U DONT MAKE THE RULES AND LIKE IMCA SENDS TOMMY TO CERTAIN TRACKS OUT OF THE BLUE TO DO TECH JUST TO TEACH UR TECHS WHAT TO LOOK 4 AND TO KEEP THE RACERS HONEST

That is correct, Owen you get the support from IMCA. They will make the tuff calls and they are the ones that will inforce the rules.

as it is now,get busted_no real penalty..but the tech deal is still 99% track handled.so IMCA is not the cure for the tech problem.it still needs to be an inhouse done job.i see Owens point on when he did teck..DID THEY STAY AWAY BECAUSE THEY WERE NOT RIGHT??..perhaps if they could not go to another track it would fix some of this problem....get caught at STS with tracktion control and what is the penalty?now do it at an IMCA track and get caught....there lies the big difference..but the RACERS that support the track would have to except RULES and TECH!..if not it will stay totally outlaw...get caught with a stroker in an class its not legal,there should be a fine plus perhaps two weeks off.i agree about B.S. rules that i think suck,,no IMCA sticker on wheels,D.Q,no gloves,D.Q.,seems unfair..but its called following the rule book..that is what IMCA does,a solid rule book...but as before,do the racers want a fair rule book??frank t

I KNOW SOME ARE GOING TO SAY THAT WHAT I SAY DOSENT MATTER SINCE I DRIVE A BOMBER BUT I THINK ALL CLASSES NEED BETTER TECH AND IF YOU DONT WANT TO GET TECH BECAUSE YOU ARE CHEATING THEN DONT RACE WHAT FUN IS IT TO WIN A RACE IF YOU HAVE CHEATER PARTS I MEAN COME ON YOU PUT A SUPER STREET UP AGAINST A MOD AND WHEN THE MOD DRIVER WINS WHERES THE PRIDE IN THAT RUN SAME RULES AND LET THE DRIVER WIN NOT THE CAR JMO

:angry: My post had nothing to do with the track, you, owen, or imca...thats why I removed it. No need to get defensive. I was replying to Frank but the issue isn't worth stiring up again. Don't question my support. I took people to that track all year who had never been or even heard of the track. Guess no one notices when your not in the middle of all the politics. See you in February.

J

Jason.,i was wondering where you were on this deal..and yes i will call you one of STS best track supporters.we dont see eye to eye on much with IMCA.. i know its not the fix it all.but i always did read what you posted.because you do keep up with whats going ..OUR BATTLE,..i think if you kick it around,others kicked it in high gear..does not mean i dont respect your thoughts and opinions..frank t

Just like Frank T---There are some things that I dont agree with IMCA on but for the

most part-its better for the racer to have a level playing field

IMCA sticker wheels---I have a friend in Colorado who was DQ for non sticker wheel

cost him a smooth $1000 bucks--was that wheel a light weight one--or was it a high bead

or was it just a oversight on his part--we will never know--but bet he dont do it again

GLOVES---Stop and think ---FIRE----who gonna wipe your rear end if you cant

I think several guys on this board seen that tragic accident in Abilene--

IMCA OR NON IMCA

GUYS---PLEASE PROTECT YOURSELVES

I'm sorry I wasn't there to support the track Shrimper. I was going to the Big end of the season IMCA shows and having fun. As for traveling, I travel every week. It's an hour from my house to STS.

I think gas prices will determine everyones car counts next season.

i dont know for sure about much of this and tech. stuff how ever it runs next year i will do my best to meet all rules and be stay competative but from what i have seen owen trys hard to put on a good show. imica or not will not matter if people dont come to the track. as for and outlaw track its kimd of like a good point .the grils like bad boys and outlaws . so it sounds good. fair rules well you will allways have some that try to test the rules and bend them to the breaking piont.so my piont is people got to come and watch and spend there hard earned money. and if there is not a good show thay will not come to see 2 or 3 cars that run each outher. thay like large car counts or something to bring them in i know were im from i ran a lot of demoltion derbys and endorce races and we had carnavials before the races we had a few concerts in the earily afternoon before the races and people would come ride the rides or listen to the concerts and watch the races.i dont know how many schools i passed out fliers too about a carnivals . i will do what ever to run next yaer and do so according to the rules what ever it is and if there is any thing that i can do to help owen pass out fliers or what ever it is i will help as i know most everyone will. we just need to work at this to make it happen not aruge over it or bash what outhers think . bottom line is we need the car counts and stands full of people and everyone having a good time. i think if we did a few things to draw a crowed to the track area it would help owen fill the stands . mybe a few get to gether with there cars at a local hang out . talking with people and handing out tack scheduels . some thing owen has his hands full so we all need to pich in and give up some free time and try to help just a bit more then going racing. and lets be honest some people out there just see the track on race night.

Very good points dwb.....it doesn't take a whole lot to get two or three to meet at a Stop-n-Rob, NAPPY Auto Parts, etc. and hand out some fliers to people, let them look at your car.........who knows you might even end up picking up a few bucks in sponsor money while you're there.

Heck you could even park along the seawall........hundreds of people pass along down there.

Owen,

Everyone has made good points. One thing to consider that has already been said is most guys and girls race because they love it. if you make it santioned and tech as it should be done they will still come. I feel IMCA Santioned would be good. I run a low budget operation and cannot afford to pay fines or even by the illegal parts. Guys like myself can only loose so long before you cannot afford to race any more. I personally feel if everyone had the same exact motor, Tires, suspension, ect... it would be up to the driver to learn good driving skills. You know sometimes it would be nice to win a decent purse to offset some of the cost. But if the guys with all the money to buy lightweight cranks or rods or anything that is not allowed win all the time How long to you think the little guys will last. As far as paying a little extra to race each week should not be a problem if you have a fair chance to win. There are some local racers that tow out of town each week to race at santioned tracks. Some of us cannot afford to go out of town so we will run no matter what. You have to make a hard decision but I know you will make the best decision. Personally I am all for the IMCA Santioning. JMO

Guys and gals everyone makes good points, currently there is an issue or two that we are struggling to resolve between IMCA and STS, I see alot of comments and they are good and appreciated. Tech is not a problem we are happy to tech but if I tech and get serious about it then be prepared from the simplest to the most complex. Next season we will be following the IMCA rules closely sanctioned or not.

Thanks for all your comments.

Owen

Oh yeah and DWB thanks for the comments a little help would be great, I have fliers for the USMTS show right now if anyone is willing to help put them up around town. I am the first to admit I have an issue asking for help and that is because when you ask for help people always want something in return, I can't afford to give away hundreds of pit passes or pay people to do things thus why I try to do things myself. Any help is always appreciated.

OWEN GET ME FLIERS FOR ANYTHING YOU DO I WILL PUT THEM OUT WHERE I WORK LOT OF RACING FANS COME HERE OR STOP BY BUTLER RENTALS ON WOOLDRIDGE AND ASK FOR ME OR CALL ME BEFORE YOU COME OR CALL ME WHEN YOU GET TO TRACK I JUST LIVE DOWN THE ROAD FROM THERE 5335450

Owen, next year you might want to hire someone to keep the web page up to date. If a fan looked now and saw next races Oct 20th they would find something else to do this weekend.

No need to hire someone, there are a few qualified people willing to do it for free. Myself included.

Archived