IMCA

I can give some insight into IMCA from what I was told in the past and you all can get an idea of what it cost then help me with some pro's and Con's.

When I checked into it before it seemed the cost would be $75 plus 10% of the purse for Mods and $65 for sport mods no purse contribution each week.

Basically for STS that would mean roughly $330 per week would go to IMCA

License for IMCA would be $100 per driver roughly?

With each driver have to spend that to register the track should really not charge a registration fee so the track will lose that income.

Now a couple of things I do not like, they have an age limit for drivers, that is bad for me, I know of one very young sport mod driver that is better than alot of drivers. (**Answer me this how come if youth is a problem why is Jimmie Johnson winning and Dale Jarrett not?)

The Motor claim worries me that if it gets started it could be a huge problem.

I think you will see alot of the same winners either way.

You ask why am I even thinking about it, well I want to try something different, this past season I watched lots of guys refuse to race at their home track and I am not sure why? If this will change their outlook and keep them local then great but if the same guys out run everyone then their will be alot of frustration and people will hit the road again. I want to keep my race track alive, that is the bottom line if IMCA will help that I will do it, if it will hurt then I won't do it.

Let's see some comments for everyone on PRO's and Con's.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Owen I think you will see the same winners as this year and the year before.It may be a little more spreadout in wins due to them sarting on the 5th or 6th row even if they win the heats as opposed to the front row.The guys that are racing out of town have they said why.I know a few are dead set on IMCA ,but what about the others i really dont know.As long as there are no grudge claims i dont think it will be a problem.But how much more will it cost you.Most of the mods can be IMCA legal with minor changes,the ones with big motors will get IMCA legal motors and race also.They will keep the other motors fresh for the big money races.Im not sure if this was pros or cons but thats all i have.

Here's an idea Owen, go back to the "old school" way they used to do it with the high point drivers starting in the back. Fans love to watch the fast cars trying to work their way up through traffiic. What fans don't like (from the ones i've talked to) is having the fastest car start on the pole all the time and walk away from everyone.

As far as IMCA vs. not, it may controll the cost somewhat, but modifieds are expensive, no matter what you do to controll the cost. That is exactly why I went to the hobby class from modifieds. Personally, I think IMCA would be a positive, but you need to do what is best for the track in order to keep the doors open. If there is anything I can do to help out, I'd be glad to.

Joe

The weekly purse percentage of $330 would go towards the points fund at the end of the year. IMCA will mail checks so the track will not have to come up with a points fund for the modifieds. You should still charge the registration fee because the $100 we pay IMCA is for benefits we receive from them. It does not really have anything to do with the track. I have never seen the motor claim get out of hand. I think if you research it you will find the motor claims are very rare. Everybody is scared of it until they are involved in the class and see how rarely it happens. If you drive clean and treat people right they do not tend to want your engine.

Bottom line you have a base to draw from in texas. The hugh amount of IMCA cars highly outnumbers the outlaw cars. I believe if you continue treating your driver fairly you will see alot of them. Hell if I37 can run usually 8 to 12 you surely can run double that easily. Be real nice if RGS would follow your lead on this one and help everyone.

For it to work,the racers have to want it to work..it was outvoted last year,so do the racers want it.to make it fair,a tech must be knowledgeable of the rules.are the racers ready to except the rules.. I know that T.J. and johnny had to remove trailing arms,rockers for p@g test,and vacume checks..if NOT WITHIN THE GUIDE LINES,YOU WERE OUT..its an out for the promoter to take blame on the rule setup..but there are a bunch from c.c.and the valley that raced at i37 under the IMCA rules.and i believe the points deal takes lots of pressure off the promoter...another positive is the support sponsers..at TEXAS for winning a heat,we got a $100.00 gift certificate..it adds up.. I know that we will have a big mod next year also.i never considered going to c.c. the way it was,because i would not build a BIG MOTOR for regular saturday night racing...frank t

Well I was curious about some of the things that Owen mentioned in his post. So I did some research on a couple of things. I called IMCA and talked to Brett Root.

My first question was the number of claims in the nation (mods and limited SSM). You would be shocked, 39 total in those 2 classes. 2 claims were limiteds here in texas and 0 claims in mods in this state. 16 claims were in 1 state and obviously not this one. That lead me to ask about the weekly sanctioning fee, well everything Owen said was right except its only 5% of the purse. So that makes it only $250 a week by my calculations. Also something I didn't realize is that IMCA sends the track $2 per car per night for running the sanctioned tire. That cuts the cost down even more.

I do know that most everyone hates change, but I think it may be worth a shot, give it 1 year see how it does, it is the option to drop the sanction at anytime. JMO

My car is an IMCA legal car that I've raced all season at STS. Other than the spoiler and running the American Racers it's legal. We've been to three IMCA big shows at the end of the season. The most impressive thing is the level of competition is close due to the tech. My car has never been through tech like that. Yes, I was worried. As Driveline99 stated, a level playing field. I've really enjoyed it and will be running more next year. Kennedale has an average of 50 cars per week in just there modifieds, same in the limiteds. It's like a big show each week there. HOT has close to the same counts and runs on Friday's.

I as well feel you would get the same cars running up front. There that good, we have to try harder to beat them. I also feel there would be different winners each week and it would be a lot tougher with not always starting up front in the feature. The biggest thing I think would be that the racers would all know they are even and that there is TECH to keep the playing field level.

JMO,

Darin

OWEN I RACE A LOT OF DIFFERENT PLACES AND SEE A LOT OF DIFFERENT THINGS WHEN IT COMES TO WAY A TRACK IS RUN I THINK U AND UR CREW RUN A GREAT SHOW I THINK IT WOULD ONLY HELP GET UR LOCAL RACERS MORE RECONITION AND UR TRACK OUT THERE MORE LETS GET ANOTHER TURKEY SHOOT GOING AND MAKE THAT TRACK SOME BIG CASH EDDIE UR RIGHT THE ONES WINNING WILL STILL WIN AND I DONT SEE SOMEONE COMING IN TO CLAIM I HAVENT SEEN IT YET JUST THINK DANNY WON THE TRACK CHAMPIONSHIP AND THE POINT FUND AND ALL THE GOODIES THAT COME ALONG WITH IT IS AWESOME I THINK IT CAN ONLY HELP THE TRACK HECK FOR THE FIRST YEAR I WILL LEAVE MY WINNINGS AT THE GATE TO HELP OUT . THE CLAIM COMES NOW WITH A SWAP SO U STILL HAVE TO FINISH WITHOUT BEING LAPPED SO THERE MOTOR HAS TO BE OK JMO GREG D

Greg brings up a good point about the engine claim rule. The driver being claimed has the option of taking the money or taking the other cars engine in exchange. They also have to finish fifth on back and be on the lead lap. So if somebody claims your engine you can swap and atleast have something to start with. It would be interesting to see the numbers but I would think since they started the option of swapping the claim number has dropped. It was one thing to be able to give somebody cash for their engine but it is different if you have to give them your engine in return. I saw a claim where one driver was reclaiming his engine from the previous race when he lost it. Since you can only claim each driver one time during the year he did not have to worry about losing it to the same driver again.

hell im for it... its not so much about imca its the fact that if the teching is done the way its supposed to be with some one who knows the rules then all the racers whether finishing in the front or the back of the pack will feel that everyone had a fair chance to win the race.... this is my opionion only and does not reflect the view of sts or texasspeedzone, if you feel that you need to make a complaint you can email me at idontgivearatsass@yahoo.com :lol:

I am all for IMCA but here is something to think about. Somebody is going to have to pay for a tech man, that is another employee for the track. It might even take two people to tech all those classes.

:lol: Good call to all, bottom line is we need somewhere to go race or go watch others race. If we can keep the track opened and the expenses down to a bare minimum, I think everyone would be happy. :D

:D I for one love going out to the track to even if it's just to watch/pit crew or even race when I get a car back together. We all just need to do whats best to keep the track operating in the black. For Owen, I'm sure he doesn't like digging into his pockets anymore than he has to. Going into the RED has to take a strain on everyone concerned. I hope everyone can come up with a workable solution! Cheers! :D

:ph34r: Dennis in the Desert (home in CC) :ph34r:

I see alot on here and other places about Tech and how IMCA will bring tech to the track. Well tech is not a problem and rules are only as good as they are enforced but here is the thing, over the last 4 years in the CC area everytime I decided to get serious and do a little tech cars started disappearing like there was some type of Epidemic. I have a couple of great examples of this one night in the bomber class this year I decided I was going to simply pull valve covers and look around, one car loaded up and never returned, then last year in the limiteds we had a 26 car field we pulled heads DQ'ed 2 cars and the next week we had 8 cars, so how does all this tech help the track?

Anyway just thought I would comment on tech, with or with out IMCA tech can be done but when it is everyone runs and hides?????

Just a thought.

Owen

Ok, from my experience........since IMCA went to the swap option on claims, the numbers have dropped like a rock to the bottom of the ship channel. The swap option, to me, never worked for UMP sanction and has pretty much killed half the Modified class in Houston. Grudge claims may still happen , but rarely since the swap came along. Carbs and shocks are also open to claim. DON'T BE SKEERED!! LOL

Teching is a MUST for any track!!!! Period!!! Some of the tracks with best car counts have the best teching.....go figure. No one wants to go to a track knowing they are going to get out horse-dollared or up against some trick illegal crap(ie; Traction control) and have no chance of winning or finishing good.

Owen, if you had guys disappear after teching/DQ's, then I'm betting they were probably illegal in some way. Do you really want them racing anyway?? In my opinion, having illegal cars running is a bigger detriment to the sport/car count than teching. Teching has to be fair and impartial, no matter how much somebody cries about it!!

The IMCA sanction fee pays for good insurance, over what the track already has. It also contributes to a year end points fund, plus contingency stuff. EVERY track I know of still has a car registration as well as the IMCA license fee and no one has a major problem with that. One part goes to the sanctioning body, the other to the track, two different entities.

As for IMCA sanctioning, it won't affect us because Andy ran sanctioned this last year.

As for the issue of tech, I have to agree with Rebelracewriter, if they didn't want to be teched, there had to be a reason. If teching is going to affect the car count that tremendously, maybe you need to start over from the beginning with a warning to everyone that your track will not tolerate the running of illegal cars. As stated before, no one wants to race somewhere that heads are being turned in the favor of only a few individuals for the sake of "keeping car count up" when there is a bigger percentage willing to run legal.

As for the decision of becoming a sanctioned track, can it ultimately be your decision only or are you liable for bringing it up as a vote issue amongst the drivers? You know that you will not make everyone happy so consider doing what YOU think is the best for the track and run with it.

We are ready and waiting for next season--good luck with all Owen :)

Owen with just my few years of experience running Battleground a 1/2 season but running TOBA for several years, we teched harder then any track around. Of course some things we gave out our warnings or a 1 week pass due to it not being a performance advantage but we stuck with it hard. We consistantly averaged of 30 cars and sometimes way more and these guys were traveling some as much as several hours to race. I just cant see any track surviving over a long period if your not teching and teching hard. Of course nobody likes to have to pull down their engine so do everything in your power to have the neccessary tools to keep from having to pull them down and cost the drivers extra expense. If a driver is going to leave because your teching then they are a cheater coward plain and simple. If you know your going to tear down a class down a couple days inadvance find a small sponsor to pay the top couple drivers for the tear down and the track not incure that expense. $1 per car would pay for a top notch weekly inspector and maybe a helper as well again this would not costs the track anything again. Good Luck.

Archived