Rumor Control

Well I wanted to do a little rumor control, South Texas Speedway will be open in 2008. Just because we decided to call it a year in 2007 does not mean 2008 won't be the best year yet, already on the Schedule for 2008 are the ASCS Sprint Tour on July 3rd, If all goes well with USMTS we may get them early and late in 2008, plus I am planning alot of other events to make the year a success, a good February Chili / Bar-b-que Cookoff, and alot of great racing action performed by some of the best drivers / crews in Texas in front of some of the best fans.

We are having a banquet, it will probably be December 8th or 15th and the rules / drivers meeting for 2008 registration will be early, probably on the opposite weekend of the banquet.

IMCA Winter series is still in the works, I have not decided for sure if I will do that or not.

Things to think about for everyone.....

*Modifieds and SportMods looking at full IMCA sanction for 2008.

*Hobby Class turned out to be one of the best classes we will be making some rule changes to slow down the 3 link cars and improve the leaf spring cars.

*Pure Stocks not alot of rule changes in mind you guys have been putting on a great show for weeks.

*Thunders maybe we need to figure out how to slow down the #12 Ford but think about how to build this class using newer vehicles add in a little fast & furious look to the deal.

*Bombers what can we say you guys are great how about we just figure out how to start 6 wide.

Anyway hopefully everyone will spread the word things are good and 2008 will be great!

Owen

Regarding the "slowing down the 3 link cars" in the hobby class. Didn't a leaf spring car win the championship? I know the 07 car won the races if he wasn't taken out but that number 5 car was friggen fast! It also seemed the other cars were getting sorted out toward the end of the season and were becoming very competitive. I know that the 07 crew knows exactly how and why they have their car set up by doing their homework every race day. The number 5 guy's probably do the same thing judging by their success. Then there's the factor of the driver's.

My point is, why "dumb down" a class instead of having the rest of the class rise to the level of excellance demonstrated by the guy's that win their heats and features? If a 3 link rear end gives you that edge over a well set up leaf spring car in getting the power to the ground, then if your competitive, want to win and its within the rules, you know what you gotta do. And one other thing you can do, ASK the other guys that are winning in your class and other classes what they do. I know most of them will be glad to help.

I know there's economics invovled but money equals speed no mater what class you race, what level you race or what sport you choose to compete in.

Look forward to next year.

My point is, why "dumb down" a class instead of having the rest of the class rise to the level of excellance demonstrated by the guy's that win their heats and features?

I wouldn't say I am planning to dumb down the class all the drivers in this class are talented and have done plenty of homework to win races. I am trying to keep the cars as competetive as possible and put it into the drivers hands. The changes will not be costy they will all be an improvement. Rules are made to make racing fair and fun yet they are in place to keep the competition close and I gave them a full year so next year I will have them updated and if I need to make changes through the season I will until it is an even playing field for all cars.

Thanks for the comments.

Owen

My point is, why "dumb down" a class instead of having the rest of the class rise to the level of excellance demonstrated by the guy's that win their heats and features?

I wouldn't say I am planning to dumb down the class all the drivers in this class are talented and have done plenty of homework to win races. I am trying to keep the cars as competetive as possible and put it into the drivers hands. The changes will not be costy they will all be an improvement. Rules are made to make racing fair and fun yet they are in place to keep the competition close and I gave them a full year so next year I will have them updated and if I need to make changes through the season I will until it is an even playing field for all cars.

Thanks for the comments.

Owen

I just want to finish a feature.....*LOL* :blink:

Thanks for all the hard work this year Owen. I'm really looking forward to next year.

Joe

Thanks for sharing your plans Owen. We only got to race the last 3 weeks but we enjoyed it alot. We do plan to race alot there next season. I think one thing you should consider is going to an average points for your lineups. I personally dont like it but if you want more exciting racing that will do it. It may also be your answer instead of changing the rules to make them slower. Putting the fast cars behind slower cars is a big change and is the biggest equalizer out there.

why slow the 12 down lol J/J. Naw I know in the thunders it was unfair advantange,im not gonna say it wasnt cause it was. Other than my car all the rest were very well together except that 33 neon lol. I had fun but I dont plan on running thunders next year but we will still have a fast mustang in that class. It was fun and awsome job Owen for putting all this out there. See ya at the USMTS race. ;)

I think a beadlock at least on the right rear might be a good idea. I know a bunch of us lost right rears in a rut and by the time we got to the pits the tire was ruined. Headers are ok but they are a real tight fit in the metric cars that most of us run and have a tendency to melt plug wires often. The rules call for the same offset all the way around, I think any offset should be allowed. You cant run 4s on the back because they rub the frame anyway with the g-60s. JMO. great job this year Owen and congrats to all the STS champioins

including my wife Karen in the bomber stocks.

Bobby Jack

2 JACKS RACING

What ever you decide please try to keep the other 2 tracks in mind. It wouldnt hurt nothing or nobody if they were all halfway close on the rules. If a track closes god forebid with no changes they can have a new home the next week with no changes. Headers on pure stock is a bad idea. If anything let them handle better with better shocks, they run well enough.

I AGREE WITH RACER 88. WE, MOST OF US, ARE ALREADY RUNNING RACING WHEELS. SO THE COST FOR A BEADLOCK IS MINIMAL COMPARED TO RUINING A TIRE AND WHEEL BECAUSE OF THE TIRE PEELING OFF.I DO THINK OUR RULES FOR THE MOST PART ARE FAIR AND BEEN INTACT SINCE MOST OF US LEFT THE OTHER TRACK. HEADERS ARE PROBABLY NOT THE SOLUTION TO KEEP OUR CLASS COMPETITVE AND ECONOMICAL, IF THAT IS EVEN POSSIBLE. BUT KEEPING TIRES AND WHEELS ON THE CAR IS. 3300 LBS.IS A LOT OF CAR TO GET THRU THE TURN AND HOPE THE TIRE STAYS ON. I KNOW WE HAVE EXPERIMENTED WITH PRESSURES AND IT REALLY COMES DOWN TO THE FACT OF HOW RUTTED THE TRACK IS. TAKE THAT FACTOR OUT OF IT, LET US RUN AT LEAST ONE BEADLOCK AND SEE HOW GOOD THE RACING CAN BE WITH NO FLATS. J M O .

Owen, I see that you are going to have the drivers meeting sometime in Dec. I am in the Navy and will be overseas until Feb. I was wanting to keep my #33 pure stock number for 2008 and was wondering if I can have someone register me at the meeting or would the first race after I come back. Also would this be ok with the other drivers.

Thanks

Jerry

What I find intresting is the dirt track wants to find a way to slow down the fast RWD Mustang and the asphalt track is looking for a way to slow down the FWD cars.Maybe its not the type of car but the level of commintment that factors in.I believe the key to level performances is to look at the things all; cars have in common and use the method the modifieds use and that is to have the handle dictate maximum speed.Most minis up the country use stock wheels and limit tire size to 185s.Some have exaust restrictors,AKA a 1 1/2 inch exaust pipe.Plus a pound per cc weight.Or anything that all cars have in common.At RGS the hard slick surface negates horsepower so the race is in the drivers hands.In Austrailua they use big blocks and skinny tires to make close races in big cars.The formula is what good is horsepower if you cant use it?Thats the cheapest way to level the playing field and also get more life from a car

Thanks for the comments.

Owen

last year you had the super stock class (if they wanted to race dirt locally) down size,we had to buy all new tires,wheels,& gears just for starters at considerable expence.Would seem fair now to ask the former street stock guys & gals to step up to level of competition. Would it not? What ever you decide we will be their ready to go .

IMCA for mods really u dont have to change much to run imca and to claim u have to be there 2 times and the third u can claim or swap :angry: i havent seen any claiming this year where weve been and there is many bonus items with imca just like the insurance that is much needed for the racer that died in abilene his family will get medical plus death insurance god forbid anybody needing it but is there in any imca event imca i know some are against it but i know some of the cars that run sts can run any imca event with a few changes i think it would pull more cars jmo

why would it not be good for the track?.insurance can be bought cheaper when a member..points are posted by imca,and big show car counts are usually out of site...car rules are universal from one imca track to another..and you have imca promotion help as a member..yes a claim can take place on the first night/day if sts had a winter series..but unless one wants to run a hog motor compaired to every one else,it just does not happen..point fund money comes from imca which should also be a relief for the promoter... i am not saying its all good in imca,but i believe very strongly it a plus..and if the track is not making it due to the purse,.drivers /owners need to except changing the purse to one where the track makes money...better to race at home for less money then travel...thats expensive....there are plenty of cars in the c.c. area that want to stay home.better to speak up on cutting the purse then passing a closed track like before..if the promotor was doing a bad job,it would be different,but Owen has given it 100% to make it work,.so thats not the problem....frank t

Archived