It takes a village.

47limited

OT,I was just trying to make people aware that the little guy makes the difference of a car count and a good car count.You said it too,the purse buys you a meal.A celebration of the niteCharity should be ananamous (OT spelling)and more ticket sales makes more money.I just really get tired of these witch hunts,do as we do or your a reject.I promise you that will cost cars,AKA ticket sales.To be succesful everyone must be accepted and not embarressed.Even lap down cars are important to the show,they add unpridactibality.And in Church I put my offering in a blank envelop.A lot of writers on here get down on people but at the track everyone seems nice.Thats why so many dont get on here.But you need to consider them too.Remember the guys in the spotlite dont need special care,the guys in the shadows do.Take care of the underdog and you have success.If thats negative,Im proud of it.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply
OT,I was just trying to make people aware that the little guy makes the difference of a car count and a good car count.You said it too,the purse buys you a meal.A celebration of the niteCharity should be ananamous (OT spelling)and more ticket sales makes more money.I just really get tired of these witch hunts,do as we do or your a reject.I promise you that will cost cars,AKA ticket sales.To be succesful everyone must be accepted and not embarressed.Even lap down cars are important to the show,they add unpridactibality.And in Church I put my offering in a blank envelop.A lot of writers on here get down on people but at the track everyone seems nice.Thats why so many dont get on here.But you need to consider them too.Remember the guys in the spotlite dont need special care,the guys in the shadows do.Take care of the underdog and you have success.If thats negative,Im proud of it.

OK BACK TO THE WHAT THIS THREAD WAS ALL ABOULT ..ONE WORD ....GOOD

G.B. why complain about the the fast cars up front if earn that spot in the heat race and you past TECH or go to TECH at that then you deserve to start there. I like it that way so that my car wont have that much of a chance to get tore up. [edited out by Nick Holt, 10/17/07]

While I have been reading this thread and agree that it is a very good thing for the track, I have to agree with GB to some extent. My understanding of this through the whole process is that the pay envelopes would be prepared and ready for any racer who wanted to donate to the cause. While I have no financial interest in RGS, I do have a lot of sweat equity, and I do see the behind the scenes process more than some. I have never run a track, and would never want to (unless I came into a situation where I had unlimet funds :) ).

I know that Owen, just like Johnny is not in this to make money. They both have full time jobs that they make a living at, and that at times the operation of the track cuts into the money that earn working their jobs. Just as most drivers, and definately more so, they have stepped up to the plate to make sure that we can all continue to do what we do on Saturday nights. I feel that the idea of running a night that all the money would go to the promoter is a great idea, but alas, I am a realist and know that doing this would cause some, maybe most, of the drivers to not return. If you want to donate to the operation of the track, God bless you. Your donation can be financial if you have the means, it can also be in time working at the track, doing public relations, encouraging people to come out to the track and buy a ticket (or better yet, spend some money at the concession stand). Believe me, all of it is very appreciated.

If you can pull this off, great, but please by no means should any racer feel that he would be looked upon in a negative way if he needs to collect his winnings. I don't feel that this should be discussed at a drivers meeting, that puts a lot of pressure on the low budget teams to conform. If you want to make this a success that will ultimately benefit the track, not just on one night but in the long run, this should be a "grassroots" efforts of excited people discussing this amongst themselves with others through the night as the program continues.

I hope what I have said makes sense, I'll check it later and correct it if needed.

Mike Braaten

RGS Official.

I agree only paying 10 places does not help car count, giving the guys something further back even if not much gets them back in the next week. Look at Heart of Texas in Waco for success and Ksp. Keep up what you're doing Owen, you are one of the promoters working their tail off to put on a show.

Redd35, why is that? I know every track has always done it that way, heck thats the way I did it too but apparently that isnt the best way due to the fact that ____ % of tracks close every year! We are asking the track to have all the answers to the grass roots problems and I dont think its fair for them to do all the bending all the time. Most tracks pay $25 to $35 for the last 14 positions 11th - 24th. That is alround $475 a class and most tracks run 4 to 6 classes on average. Starts adding up real quick. All I am saying is there has to be a better way, the current way isnt working, hasnt worked over a long period of time and I dont see it ever working unless ideas are thrown out there. Just to say you will only have 10 cars show up, I aint buying it! I have raced in the past at tracks where we had over 50 cars in a weekly class that paid $150 to win and i am sure that track at that time made alot of money. Why it worked then verses now I have no idea, lol! I cant speak for anyone else but it just seems silly to pick up $25 dollars on your way out the door when you finished badly and on top of it. If your depending on that $25 to get home or hoping it will offset your racing expenses then you need to get out of racing like yesterday. I hate to say this but too many good ol boys that cant afford to be in the sport are in it and its not the tracks job to pay them enough to keep coming back. Maybe this idea is only used on the local weekly shows but on your big money races you can pay them down like normal. If this was implemented I would understand and rock on!

Me personally, after my brief experience doing it, have alot of ideas but no more pocket book left to gamble with!

Alot of the people that finish out of the top ten do it often i know in the modifieds it is a tough job just to finish in the top ten.So those guys go out four weeks in a row getting paid nothing they probably wont last five and now your down to ten cars.

Ten cars arent bringing enough fans in the stands so lets pay only the top five why pay someone for finishing sixth out of ten. yoy wont have to worry about getting any lower the track will close about then. I think Owen as paying as much as he can wich we appreciate.But paying less amounts or less cars will not fill the feilds. Im not a promoter but i have raced a few years, never seen a track cut purse and get more cars.

Forgot to mention a couple of points. Yes, the RGS Thunder and Street Stock classes have worked together to go out and find their own sponsors for the purse. They have done a great job of this, and there is not one person individually who has done this. I do know for a fact that one great, always well spoken, and very helpful man stepped up over two years ago to start this... Phil Pray, Sr. driver of the #59 "grocery gitter" street stock. He has taken his own sponsor money (a sponsor that he got for himself) and for the past two years, at least, has divided this money out to the top 4 places in street stock. This year, a lot of the effort goes to Joey DeLeon in the Thunder class. He worked a lot with Marc Fantich to gain the purse sponsors for our final couple of races. Also, most, if not all of the street stock drivers have come up with at least one, if not more, sponsors for their purse.

There are many things that can and will help a track to succeed. Some of them seem small, but small savings are still savings. I would like to mention and thank with a great bit of gratitude every single on track official and every lap counter and spotter at RGS. Not one of them takes a dime for the time that they put in. They make calls, put up with drivers that may be irate feeling that a call was unfair, etc. and never ask for more than a burger at half time.

You havent heard about it because everyone is fat and happy with their $25 for 14th place. Which normally gets blown at Whataburger between 11pm and midnite. So a couple teams have to go home and eat instead of whataburger, big deal. At least you have a track still in business and that same driver can attempt to win some money the next time out. I am sorry but Owen is paying full purses and the average car count is around 14 cars a class sometimes alittle more sometimes not. Thats BS and sure isnt his fault. Paying car count based purses is very normal all over the country. If he is going to pay full purses then you need over 24 cars and some not qualifying and on the trailer watching the feature. Then your making money.

My gut feeling is Corpus has no reason why this track cannot take off. No asphalt track means more fans and cars coming over then before. A promoter (Owen) that obviously cares and is doing a great job is a hugh plus. To survive you have to figure out a way to cut expenses. I was suprised what people would do and settle for to help my track survive. Not as much going out the door is "key". That is the first way to keep any business open, cut the overhead. Dont misunderstand me I am not saying anyone is doing a bad job of running the business. Running a track was the hardest thing I ever did and I failed at it from the financial side. Depending and praying on the income increasing and then staying at a higher level could result in a long wait or closure because your gambling on the come. One thing to observe when you come to the track next week. Look how many drivers come by themselves. That driver that comes by himself or with just 1 other is basically leasing the track from owen for a couple hours and Owen is then giving him his money back at the end of the night. It must be nice for those teams to spend $25 to $50 each week on pit passes and they are almost guaranteed to get their money back no matter how bad their nite is. It takes around 300-350 pit passes a nite to cover the purse alone. Then the actual show and track prep throughout the week which always includes unexpected repair costs. Right now the track is depending on a big gate or its in the red. I saw that way too much.

People would understand a sign saying due to unexpected expenses we are charging $10 instead of $9 but its only temporary! I think you could also start paying on car count based purses emmidiately. I bet 50% of the drivers would donate their next purse to help. Make that opinional. But starting next season maybe charge $50 registration fees once the season starts but a discount if they register early maybe $35. Maybe outof town cars charge them $10 until they are paid up with each visit.

Please remember this is simply my opinion. I wish I had the money to do it again. I respect those that are doing a good job and trying to succeed but this industry requires something else to maintain it. Hopefully everyones discussions will bring out the key part that is missing for Owen and other local tracks.

Do you really tink it cost only 25 dollars a week to race.

We use alcohol we wear out tires every few weeks we change oil.We get ran into, we hit things.We use tear offs.On a good night not tearing anything up it costs about 100 dollars a night.So if you finish 5th you broke even.I ususally go to track by myself but that dosent mean my familys not in the stands,every once in awhile i have a little help show up.I think Owen is doing a fine job but i cant say im gonna race for free.Im also not gonna say just pay the top ten , ive been in the back ten also,yes i want that twenty five dollars when i leave.We need more people in stands not payless.Our pay is the same as it was in the seventies, everything else has gone up.Thats not Owens fault but its not ours either.And if you pay according to car count you will lose more than 50 % of your cars.Ive seen it happen.Modifieds avarage more than 14 cars a week I bet even with the last two short weeks.The limiteds also, hobbys have had some big car counts to. There are plenty of cars and plenty of support from drivers.If people can afford to give their prize money away more power to them,someday I might be in that situation right now im not. Just remember its their prize money to do what they want. And thanks Owen for having a place for us to race.

Danielsen Motorsports,

You act like it is a bad thing for a guy to leave with the same amount he spent to get in. He still spent a lot on fuel, tires, maintenance and let us not forget the original price of the car and its replacement. What if all driver's (teams) left with the same amount they paid to get in? That would leave the entire front gate for a track to survive on. Hell, I will lease you a track all day long if you will come put on a show for the fans and not charge me. Not a bad deal for the track and they could probably survive. I have never seen a track pay a gate percentage or car count percentage that drew more cars because that is how they paid. Pay more throughout the field and you will have more cars. Maybe not more car owners that spent a boat load of money and think they deserve a lot to win. Only more cars that are there for the love of the sport and will put on a show.

Great example, everyone is living in the past. What worked in the past doent mean it will work this day and age! 30 years ago I pitted for my father a cc speedway. Times were very simple then. Owen is quiet clearly saying it isnt, hasnt so far and something needs to change. All I am reading from you (Red) is what wont work, thats a bad idea, I wont do this or that. Throw out an idea you think might work. Telling me what you go through in racing is preaching to the choir. I been in racing for 26 years, driven for 23 years, won 49 feature events @ dozen different tracks. I have run with the tx super sprinters, winged street stocks at Big H in Houston and every class between pure/hobby/street/supers you name it. I got tired of dealing with tracks and the BS most of them dished out. So I started the TOBA Series, The Texas Outlaw Bomber Series. For over 4 years and with alot of awesome individuals, I ran the most competitive stockcar series in Tx. TOBA had between 30 and 40 cars per event as a Traveling Hobby Stock affordable type car. The tracks could not afford to pay their own classes much less our high purse. It took creativity and communication. Sponsorship was vital. Promoting was the most important. No way would this have survived for 4 years without thinking outside the box. IT CAN BE DONE. I could have been done even better then the way I did it. I did it on a shoestring budget and an "IDEA". Lots of folks will tell you their opinions some good and some bad. However I proved that racers will come together and work together for what they love and most importantly have fun doing it. Our biggest downfall was ourselves. Rules, the very thing that is killing most tracks. If you dont have full fields it has nothing to do with the purse. The modifieds are proof of that. They are spending an enormous amount of money to win a couple hundred bucks and most will never win in that class. So the arguement of purse is BS. If a well thoughtout plan was put together and shared with everyone involved basically turning it into everyones Goal, Owen could right his meal ticket. It would be hard and take alot of work. Anything worth something doesnt come easy! You will have alot that say this wont work and that wont work, Piss on them. You take those that will follow the dream and you can do what ever you want! I cant stand to be told this or that wont work, BS step aside, be open minded, if no then get the ______ out of the way of progress! Owen I honestly wish you the best and even though we are almost 3 hours away we plan to support you as much as possible with both cars and a 3rd one for next year. If you are wondering how much support is out there just look, well over 2000 views and counting with no end in sight. Lots of people, lots of ideas.... <_<

Well i would have to say get out more often. The oldest running probably most successful track in Texas is in Waco. Just an example from the last posted results. 9 classes on the same night.

I.M.C.A. MODIFIED - 20 cars started feature

I-STOCK - 7 cars dying class

I.M.C.A. SportMod - 19 started feature

I.M.C.A. HOBBY STOCK - 15 started feature

STREET STOCK - 23 started feature

PURE STOCK - 25 started feature

CRUISER -15 started feature

JUNIOR MINI STOCK -9 started feature

ASCS SOONER REGION SPRINT - 24 total 20 started Feature

On every class if they dont have 16 cars the purse drops to 2nd place money. This is a car count based purse. It has worked for long long time. This track has alot of competitor tracks within a couple hours and yet they are still going. The end of October every year is the Fall Classic. That event prooves year in and year out how popular the track is when several hundred cars show up to race in all classes. There purse is nothing to brag about here it is http://www.heartotexspeedway.com/Purse/Purse%202007.pdf

other local tracks paying based on car counts is Texana Raceway Park and I 37 Speedway

I am one of those guys, when we race at STS its a 3 hour one way drive. We currently have a pure stock and a hobby stock. We maint. our cars like few do. We treat our equipment with alot of care which usually means money is playing a role. If we dont come in the top 2 we loose money that night. What ever most of you guys spend we do the same except add $100 in traveling fuel. Of course thats our choice. On our trips we prepare for the worst case but through hard work expect to do well. If a track is supporting itself and doing well then we expect to come home with something that night. We also undestand that if we decide to race at a track that is stuggling then we know there is a chance we may not get nothing. Even though thats a rare chance.

How about working with the local school districts and give away free passes to the kids who make perfect attendance or honor roll. Kids bring parents and parents pay.... Kids eat and drink and enjoy fast cars... Drivers could display cars at local hotspots on off weekends or a few hours before the race and promote this fantastic facility. Everyone should contact local media and make them know that we are here and running. One person doing this makes a little noise if everyone does this we make a lot of noise. I for one enjoy racing at STS Owen and his crew are awesome... maybe not make the best of calls but none the less a great racing facility.... Lets get together and make this thing turn around.... By the way those of us that are business owners and or know business owners Race Sponsorships are available...

Owen, please tell everyone that you are not cutting modified pay. Then maybe Eddie will just stop mentioning it.

Eddie we got it, you think the mod pay should stay, and that everyone to 24th place should get paid. That is all good, I'm not trying to make people feel like they have to donate, or feel bad if they don't.

Frontstraight,AKA Mike B.you have explained this better than I could have.Helping the track can come from many efforts in many ways and ins an ongoing thing.At RGS they added a 25$ fee for each race car and with the transponder that made 70$ per car & driver for a purse lower than the entry fee.The spossor money went to the class purse of those who secured it.This kept the cars comming.There are many ways to put sponsor money in the track.The key was the people who got the sponsors.Mike has been involved with the operation of RGS for at least 20 years so he speaks from experience.

Remember how long Riverside lasted when thay started paying by the gate %s.I saw what happened at RGS when they stopped paying at 16th spot.They dont do that anymore.

You STS guys really need to quit ragging on each other.Every team is as important as the next.Work together and get sponsors for the track and the class of your choice.Get all your fellow racers at the track racing.(That means you too oldtimer).Volinteer your time too.A series sponser is a great deal for the sponser and class.Donations for giveaways by ticket #s is a great fan exciter.Case of oil,free car wash,box of spark plugs,dinner for 2 etc and easy to get from sponsers.It takes labor.Get a commitee to handle this so it doesnt take Owens time.Now who really wants to help?

First off, I think it is commendable that some drivers want to leave their winnings @ the gate when they leave, and I think it is OK if some choose not to. However, regardless of what becomes of this "Race for Owen" night, is one night going to fix all the issues involved in running the track. Let me say, I do think Owen does a good job, otherwise, he wouldn't have made it this long, but let's not forget one thing, this is a business venture and with that comes risk. It is no different for those drivers showing up weekly, most all of them will tell you that they hope to leave with a little something. That is what allows them to come back the next week or may be what they use to fix a broken car. Cutting the pay for any driver that finishes after 10th, probably will hurt the track. Because of Owen's generosity to do payout the way he has all year, drivers have come to expect to leave with a little something. Now if he chooses to start running his shows and purse that way next season, no driver can expect anything different and they are going knowing that they need to place at least 10th. Then you can see what kind of car counts you will have on a regular basis. As for car count this season, if my recollection is right, he has had decent car count up until the last few weeks. I know several times, at least in the limited class, he either scheduled or considered A-main and B-main races, with about 30 cars in attendance.

Right or wrong, JMO, activities are going to become part of what lets people come to the track or not. As long as Owen decides to open for a race or event, he is going to have expenses, in turn needing the operation to continue to make money. If things are not what they need to be now, continued operation will only make for the same situation. I don't want to portray being an expert or highly versed in promotions, but we all know it takes money to make money and if it's not there to begin with, you are already running things in a bad way.

I'll say it again, regardless of what happens, Thanks Owen for all your hard work and may everything work out for you. I know that many appreciate you for it. :)

I'm not going to dive into all the "drama". :lol: But, read this for me.

In any kind of business, it starts at the top, and trickles down. One good attitude spurs many, one bad attitude spurs even more. So... when people that have been in that situation, sit back and watch new comers make mistakes... it's natural for the experienced to say "well I could have told you that". Easy button anyone? Nobody needs a judge here, if we wanted one... we would have called Judy.

What's wrong with calling someone an a-hole? Or thinkin' they're an a-hole? Plenty of people feel that way about me... hear me bitchin'? If I knew in advance that all my fellow racers were coming together for a cause THAT I PARTICIPATE IN.... and went against them... I would think I was being an a-hole, and wouldn't need everyone to reassure me. That's like going fishing, by yourself, and not returning your catch, KNOWING that the population of fish in that area needs help. It would be "easy" for someone to say..."well I needed to eat". Guess what? The rest of the world knows where the McDonalds is, why don't you [edited out by Nick Holt, 1018/07]? Don't you know that returning your catch this time, means the population of fish can recoup, and you'll be able to keep many more fish in the long run... rather than take what you caught, and hope everyone else's contribution will cover what you kept. It's A-HOLES like that, that ruin the sport. I'm not singling anyone out, especially you GB, because I think what you said is very true. I just don't see why it has to be like that.

It's called having pride, and integrity. Doing the right thing, no matter how people view you.

JMO here, so don't get all butthurt... hell, I don't even live in CC... I just care about yall's racetrack, because the one in my own backyard has turned it's back on what matters most.... FUN. I have fun up there, and people don't chastise me because of what I have, or what background I come from.

That's all I have to say, and take it with a grain of salt, cause at the end of the day... a SNOT NOSED, SPOON FED LITTLE BRAT'S opinion doesn't mean much anyways.... B)

very well put TJ,

being a racer and also someone who loves to fish i totally understand the logic, wonder how many more will? good luck this weekend and don't forget those gloves don't wanna read about you whooping some a$$ and then having to start over again . next time your down stop by and drink a cold one. thanks go out to the Driveline crew for all you guys do to support our track.

I said I was not going to post anymore but this is too important.If you announce ahead of time everyone is going to race for free,at least half the cars will not show up.If you announce at the track that nite everyone has raced for free,half the cars will never show up again.If you make a team look like an ahole for collecting his winnings,he will probably miss some races.REGARDLESS THE CAUSE.I have already heard from some racers that will miss this race if it means racing free.Over half the racers do not read this thing anyway.Owen knows this and I doubt if he will go along.

If you really want to help the track,help improve the show.START THE FAST CARS IN THE REAR and make a good show with lots of passing and a chance for different winners.Add some more events like live bands to play before,at halftime,and after racing is over.I bet a lot of people would but tickets just for the concert since racing is over so early.All thats needed is a flatbed trailer like a cotton trailer wired woth power outlets and a generator.Maybe some other things for before and after the racing.Making the racer pay for the operation of a track is like a mechanic selling his tools to make ends meet.Its a tale of diminishing returns.

Believe it or not I want STS to succede too.As well as RGS.These are great outdoor sports areanas and can be profitable if active enough.Nobody can beat mother nature.And if you get rid of the backmarkers you have no car count.Thats what is hurting modifieds,the poor guys ran out of money.Wake up people to help is to sell more tickets with an ever expanding show.Think outside the box.What would make joe blow want to buy a ticket for BESIDES the race?????

Ask anyone who raced CC Speesway on Aug 4th about racing free.Shelma appreciated it.

And in advance,I dont care what you think about me.Never have.

I don't know GB, I think you and I need to at least agree to disagree cause I just don't think there will be that much of a negative response to this idea. Of course if you have already heard from some of the racers that would not show up to a deal like this maybe I am wrong. But, it is obvious that you travel in different circles than I do, because I have recieved numerous calls and private messages from a wide variety of driver's from STS and RGS that are in total support. I surely had no intentions of running people off from Owen's race and would not think that someone was an ahole for collecting their winnings. I was simply trying to come up with a way to help a guy out, that we all know is down on his luck a little bit because of the wicked weather we have had this year. And, that I think everyone could afford. I wasn't talking about selling the whole toolbox, but everyone could afford and old wrench or two. And I think the ideas about the concerts, and increasing ticket sales, and promotions, and sponsor's and every other idea that has been posted on this thread is great but they kind of miss the point. I saw it more as an opportunity for every racer, large or small, new or old, front or back, to be part of something that would bring them together rather than spread them apart. To throw the rake down for once and pick up a shovel. Maybe I just see things in people differently than you do. JMO

Just a reminder. STS has said nothing about cutting the pay, racing for free, raising prices, or even closing the track. This thread is just an attemp to bring those envolved in racing to come togther in a positve manner to possibly help the track not only survive but thrive. this thread is also an attemp to stop track ,and people bashing that do absolutly no good for anyone. so please continue with the ideas.

While I wish that I had been a part of the operations of RGS for close to 20 years, I have only been on the "officials" side of things for a couple of years. I have been involved at the track as a racer, sponsor, owner and driver for close to 20 years though.

I hate all the "drama" that goes with racing, but it is there and all you can do is live with it. The best I can hope to do at any time, on any given night, is to help make the whole experience fun. I have had my bad nights, and am working daily on making sure that what I do, I enjoy doing. If it isn't fun or fulfilling, then I am wasting my time. The reasons that I continue to support RGS in the ways that I do, and STS in the smaller ways is because I love to do what I do. I hope and pray that these two tracks will survive and be available for my pleasure for a very long time, I have no idea what I would do to keep my kids grades up and what I would do with my Saturday nights if I couldn't be at a dirt track somewhere.

Thank you to all of those who try to be a solution to the problem, I do what I can to help with that. To the racers at STS, I have a little pull with Pueblo Tires in Alice and soon to be in Kingsville and Corpus, our stores are available any day of the week and we will support you efforts to pass out fliers, free or discount passes, or just spread the word about our racing. Just give me a call and I will make things happen.

Mike Braaten

956-227-6868

mike@pueblotires.com

Archived