It takes a village.

47limited

I have not raced there this year but I know of Owen's reputation. I went to watch the ASCS show and loved it. If I can come up with an alcohol carb for a modified by then, I will be glad to make the tow to support Owen. There are not a lot of promoters like him and I will be glad to do what I can to help make the track a success.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply
We would be there and another idea once the track is back on its feet is this. I never understood why a driver deserves $25 for coming in 14th out of 16 cars. Pay only the top 10 finishers it gives drivers a goal to shoot for. Its stupid to give their money back for running in the back. Alot of teams may only sell 1 or 2 pit passes as it is and your giving it back making no money at all on those teams. Things like this is what its going to take to keep it going. Plus big races like the Tx Stockcar Championship, LOL!

Danielson if you only pay ten places you only get ten cars, the guys finishing in back probably had problems and need more money than than the ones finisghing up front.Usually the guy that wins dosent have anything but gas expenses.Still he deserves the first place money if you start twenty cars you pay twenty cars . Just as Owen gas always done.

I am really glad to see all of the positive responses to this idea. There is a small problem with the 10/27 date if you guys are wanting some support from " the valley boys ", at least this valley boy. There is a huge wedding on that night that has been in the making for over a year now and I know me and my son TJ(98) have to be there. I also know the likes of Adam Schach(07), Bobby Smith(9), Chris Brandt(38), Sak(31), Bobby Maupin(91), and some others that I have not mentioned may not be able to make that race. If there is any other weekend please reconsider the date so we can show our support as well. On another note...everyone needs to understand that this race WILL NOT be promoted in any way by Owen Pittman or STS, he is too much of a stand up guy to do that. So, if there are some that want to see this happen, it needs to be promoted from within "the village", it needs to be be talked up from racer to racer in the pits, on the phone, on this forum, maybe someone needs to take the microphone away from him at the driver's meeting and announce it, I don't know, but I can assure you that you will not hear a word from Owen. And evryone needs to agree and participate, from the guy that wins every weekend to the guy that comes in last every weekend to the guy like me that shows up every month or two, everyone has to be on board. Or it won't work!!! No matter what weekend you guys decide on you can count on DriveLines' entry fee and pit passes to be at the box office even if we don't race.

Since you guys wont be there just send the money you think you would have won. LOL

I agree completely. In most cases the purse pays too much to win and not enough towards the bottom. If you need more money to win as an incentive to race hard, you are in it for the wrong reason to start with. If it does not pay enough to win for you, then you are probably spending too much to race. If you take $500 and divide it by 10 cars, you have helped 10 people make it back for the next race. If you add $500 to the winner's share, you have helped one person be back for the next race. With all the trouble tracks are having to get cars, I think Owen is doing it the right way. Most people I know that go to the big races do not go because they believe they will get the winner's share. They go because it is a fun event.

I agree completely. In most cases the purse pays too much to win and not enough towards the bottom. If you need more money to win as an incentive to race hard, you are in it for the wrong reason to start with. If it does not pay enough to win for you, then you are probably spending too much to race. If you take $500 and divide it by 10 cars, you have helped 10 people make it back for the next race. If you add $500 to the winner's share, you have helped one person be back for the next race. With all the trouble tracks are having to get cars, I think Owen is doing it the right way. Most people I know that go to the big races do not go because they believe they will get the winner's share. They go because it is a fun event.

i agree /// gb dont read this one .lol

We look forward to the good time first, and if we win... that's just whipped cream on top. I believe all racers race for the same reason, adrenaline. Some are satisfied with the adrenaline they get no matter where they finish the race, others like the adrenaline of being in the hunt for the trophy (and the money), and I know certain racers do it for the adrenaline they get just whippin' everybody else’s [Edited by DriveLine98 10/17/2007]!!! No matter what people race for, it's cool to sit back and watch people from all walks of life, and racing, come together for an individual like this. Says a lot about who we are as a racing family. Even though there are racers that dislike other racers, or members from that crew... or aren't pleased with how things are going with the track, whatever.... at the end of the day to be able to come together and support what we all love, racing, and put all the other BS aside for a moment... tear... :lol: Call it what you want, I call it family. B)

PS. What we think we would have won? j/k ;)

As Clay said in an earlier post Owen wants nothing to do with this. His comment to me was that he is not some charity case. I'm sure we all agree, he is not, but we all want a track to race at and he is doing a great job, the Damn rain has just put a hurting on this season. So saturday night after he's done with his usual drivers meeting speech, I'll take the mic and announce our plans for the 27th, double points/no payout.

The racing family always comes through and helps each other out, that is awesome and I am glad to be apart of all of this.

As Clay said in an earlier post Owen wants nothing to do with this. His comment to me was that he is not some charity case. I'm sure we all agree, he is not, but we all want a track to race at and he is doing a great job, the Damn rain has just put a hurting on this season. So saturday night after he's done with his usual drivers meeting speech, I'll take the mic and announce our plans for the 27th, double points/no payout.

The racing family always comes through and helps each other out, that is awesome and I am glad to be apart of all of this.

YOU CAN COUNT ME IN, EVERYONE SAYS THE SAME THING WERE NOT HERE FOR THE MONEY!!!!!

NOW IT'S TIME TO PUT UP OR SHUT UP!!!!! LET'S DO THIS AND SEE WHAT HAPPEN'S..........

HAVE A NICE DAY!!!!!! <_<<_<

Redd35, why is that? I know every track has always done it that way, heck thats the way I did it too but apparently that isnt the best way due to the fact that ____ % of tracks close every year! We are asking the track to have all the answers to the grass roots problems and I dont think its fair for them to do all the bending all the time. Most tracks pay $25 to $35 for the last 14 positions 11th - 24th. That is alround $475 a class and most tracks run 4 to 6 classes on average. Starts adding up real quick. All I am saying is there has to be a better way, the current way isnt working, hasnt worked over a long period of time and I dont see it ever working unless ideas are thrown out there. Just to say you will only have 10 cars show up, I aint buying it! I have raced in the past at tracks where we had over 50 cars in a weekly class that paid $150 to win and i am sure that track at that time made alot of money. Why it worked then verses now I have no idea, lol! I cant speak for anyone else but it just seems silly to pick up $25 dollars on your way out the door when you finished badly and on top of it. If your depending on that $25 to get home or hoping it will offset your racing expenses then you need to get out of racing like yesterday. I hate to say this but too many good ol boys that cant afford to be in the sport are in it and its not the tracks job to pay them enough to keep coming back. Maybe this idea is only used on the local weekly shows but on your big money races you can pay them down like normal. If this was implemented I would understand and rock on!

Me personally, after my brief experience doing it, have alot of ideas but no more pocket book left to gamble with!

now what your saying has some merit ,,but you forgot the friends and family that also pay toget in ..they dont get paid and they are always in first place ..so give 25 back to a driver and he will be back ..and to say they should not race cuz they cant afford it .is silly ..they love to race as much as you do . thier car as little as it cost means just as much as a high dallor car ..thats all they have .... .so if they park thier cars for the manner you suggest . then it wont be to long before that class of cars fade .. btw i cant afford to race most of the time .but we and i find a way ..and 25 bucks .will feed us on the way home ...so i sugeest like other s have lower the top purse so they can save money ..and still pay the 25 ...jmo ..

I said I was not going to post anymore but this is too important.If you announce ahead of time everyone is going to race for free,at least half the cars will not show up.If you announce at the track that nite everyone has raced for free,half the cars will never show up again.If you make a team look like an ahole for collecting his winnings,he will probably miss some races.REGARDLESS THE CAUSE.I have already heard from some racers that will miss this race if it means racing free.Over half the racers do not read this thing anyway.Owen knows this and I doubt if he will go along.

If you really want to help the track,help improve the show.START THE FAST CARS IN THE REAR and make a good show with lots of passing and a chance for different winners.Add some more events like live bands to play before,at halftime,and after racing is over.I bet a lot of people would but tickets just for the concert since racing is over so early.All thats needed is a flatbed trailer like a cotton trailer wired woth power outlets and a generator.Maybe some other things for before and after the racing.Making the racer pay for the operation of a track is like a mechanic selling his tools to make ends meet.Its a tale of diminishing returns.

Believe it or not I want STS to succede too.As well as RGS.These are great outdoor sports areanas and can be profitable if active enough.Nobody can beat mother nature.And if you get rid of the backmarkers you have no car count.Thats what is hurting modifieds,the poor guys ran out of money.Wake up people to help is to sell more tickets with an ever expanding show.Think outside the box.What would make joe blow want to buy a ticket for BESIDES the race?????

Ask anyone who raced CC Speesway on Aug 4th about racing free.Shelma appreciated it.

And in advance,I dont care what you think about me.Never have.

No problem Clay, glad to do it.

Now for you GB, I didn't say that people couldn't get paid. Everyones pay envelope will be at the back gate as usual. I will just be asking drivers to stop by and tell the payout window that they are donating there pay. If someone really needs the money then it will be there. Owen would never let this happen if it was no pay at all. Just asking for donations to a great cause. I hope to see a lot of drivers who care about STS there.

I'd race a night for free if I knew I was helping keep a track open. I need the purse money to race, but one night will not kill me. Especially knowing that it would help the track. Once a year supporting your track shows that maybe you really do love to race just for the thrill of racing itself. Don't get me wrong, I need and want every dollar I can get in purse money. That is my ticket back the next week.

I do agree that maybe a change in the way the lineups are done to make for more exciting racing. Maybe that is just because that is all I've ever known, fast cars start in the back.

I think Owen has thought "Outside the Box." I have seen more entertaining stuff at the dirt track than I have seen in a long time. There are things for the kids to do, the show is over in a timely manner, half time entertainment, (a fight to liven up the crowd), what else do you want him to do?

Danielsen, I think you have to pay all the way down. If you have to take it from the top, then fine. But last place should have something to race for other than, well, last place!

well said Greg.....and to Mr. Negative, Owen has had an after the races concert and does lots of things during and after the races...the people that do go know these things

FIRST THINGS FIRST YOU NEED TO STOP DRINKING SO MUCH WINE, IT HAS EFFECTED YOUR COMMON SENSE!!! LET THE PEOPLE THAT WANT TO DONATE THEIR WINNINGS BY CHOICE. NOT BECAUSE THEY HAVE TO. IT WAS JUST A SUGGESTION, YOUR THE ONE GB THAT ALWAYS HAS SOMETHING NEGATIVE TO SAY ABOUT EVERY TRACK YOUR NOT WINNING AT!!!!!!

HAVE A NICE DAY!!!!!! :D:lol:

Mike from RGS I know your reading this so maybe you should explain hoe RGS dealt with the money thing.It costs 70$ now for 1 person to race 1 car.The pure stocks and hobbies dont get this to win.In thunders the winner makes 5$ more than entry fee,everybody else would be ahead to race free.This is to have a good purse for a few modifieds.Doesnt make sence to me.Tha saving grace was a couple of thunder guys got sponsers including Driveline to add money to the purse.Same argument,help the track.Get the word out.Find fans.After running continously for 25 years why does it need to be "discovered".How long will backmarkers pay 70$ to win 20$ ?.We will see.Comeon frontstraight,please explain.

I have not been there with any of the three cars we have due to a snot nosed kid that said we bring junk to sts.but we will be there with at least 5 cars from the s.a. area to support this cause.because it was said UPFRONT what its for.may not always see eye to eye with Owen,but i know his heart is into this sport....frank torres

i will donate my winnings if car does not get tore up to bad i use my winnings to fix car for following races but if it goes good i will be more then happy to help owen he is a good guy even if i dont agree with his four wide starts but like i said before what ever will give me a place to race next year i will do

Theres always room for sponser money and the pickle jar at the paywindow is an excellent idea.Making those who cant afford it feel bad is not.With the jar you can put what you can afford.So do it for sencerity or vanity,it still works out.

Sounds like TJ and Keven found another fun race,the father/son relay race.Run 5 laps,change drivers and run 5 more laps.Prize?a hot dog. :lol:

I said I was not going to post anymore but this is too important.If you announce ahead of time everyone is going to race for free,at least half the cars will not show up.If you announce at the track that nite everyone has raced for free,half the cars will never show up again.If you make a team look like an ahole for collecting his winnings,he will probably miss some races.REGARDLESS THE CAUSE.I have already heard from some racers that will miss this race if it means racing free.Over half the racers do not read this thing anyway.Owen knows this and I doubt if he will go along.

If you really want to help the track,help improve the show.START THE FAST CARS IN THE REAR and make a good show with lots of passing and a chance for different winners.Add some more events like live bands to play before,at halftime,and after racing is over.I bet a lot of people would but tickets just for the concert since racing is over so early.All thats needed is a flatbed trailer like a cotton trailer wired woth power outlets and a generator.Maybe some other things for before and after the racing.Making the racer pay for the operation of a track is like a mechanic selling his tools to make ends meet.Its a tale of diminishing returns.

Believe it or not I want STS to succede too.As well as RGS.These are great outdoor sports areanas and can be profitable if active enough.Nobody can beat mother nature.And if you get rid of the backmarkers you have no car count.Thats what is hurting modifieds,the poor guys ran out of money.Wake up people to help is to sell more tickets with an ever expanding show.Think outside the box.What would make joe blow want to buy a ticket for BESIDES the race?????

Ask anyone who raced CC Speesway on Aug 4th about racing free.Shelma appreciated it.

And in advance,I dont care what you think about me.Never have.

GB . FOR ONE TIME BE NON NAGATIVE . YOU AND I ARE PROBABLY THE MOST NAGATIVE THREADERS ON HERE ..WELL CLOSE MAYBE ..ALL YOU HAD TO DO IS SAY ..GOOD LUCK .. SORRY FOR BEING NAGATIVE ....

At Battleground the one idea that I will take credit for was all cars pulled on the track as they qualified. They would stop just a few feet short of the finish line ready to go. I made a 4 foot box, painted and numbered it just like a giant dice. We selected a fan from the stands prior to each feature. That person from the flag stand threw the box or dice onto the track just infront of the drivers. The dice throw would determine how many rows to invert 1 to 6. The cool part is the drivers were in the dark until the last sec., an official would then reline the cars, run 1 pace lap and race. The whole process took about an extra 2 to 3 minutes but it got the fans involved and interacting with the race procedures to some degree and they loved it.

Archived