It takes a village.

47limited

Racers have to race, Promoters run tracks, and fans need to show up. The formula is simple, but without the proper ratios the product is doomed to fail. I am sure all of us do our part by draging everyone we can with us to the track to buy the tickets, food, beer, and toys that are for sale so we will always have a local place to race, but is there more that could be done. I dought many local racer have ever made a profit racing, but if the promter runs in the red, sorry shows over, sadbut true. No one can be expected to carry the cost of running the show out of his pocket, so he does what he has to so the fans that did show up tell others ( you should have been there) . Now imagine a new fan, or out of town racer is looking us up what image are we putting out there if they read these forums. I blew the motor in my limited and have a week to build a new one, but I am going to try. I had a blast in the bomer race almost forgot how much fun they are, dad wasn't even mad I scatch it. I am happy cause I'm racing. Now grab a beverage of your choice and think about it. Kum ba ya. :)

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

VERY TRUE OWEN RUNS A GREAT SHOW AND THE DRIVERS THERE ARE TOP NOTCH TRACK PREP IS NICE EVERY TIME WE GEAR UP TO GO DOWN THERE THE WEATHER GETS AHOLD OF THE TRACK WE ALWAYS HAVE A GREAT TIME HOPE TO SEE YOU ALL SOON ID TELL YA BUT I THINK OLD MAN WETHER IS WATCHING ;)

Of all the "hot" topics open right now, this one seems to have the most appropriate heading. All of the forums keep leading to the same issue, car count down, drivers complaining, stands not full, all for one reason or another. Please don't crucify me at the stake when I say that maybe it's time to wind down or at least be open enough to the idea that people are going to have other things to do with school being in full swing and other activities going on. I know I could not do Owen's job, nor do I want it, however, the frustration will only continue to mount as the decline continues on a down hill run. Owen, giving yourself a break doesn't make you a bad guy. There are going to be lots of reasons that drivers won't show, sometimes just by choice, other times, it's out of their control. It can't be expected that people, drivers and fans, have no life outside of STS.

Thanks for all of the great work and think about doing something for yourself. There is always next season.

I wish I could I really do, the car counts are down, the fan count is down but the bills have yet to stop coming in and going up. We have only raced 1/2 a season do to rain outs so equipment should not be in that bad of shape and then you see lots of drivers going and racing out of town so I don't see where alot of these guys are just tired.

Thanks for your comments I think they are positive and agree with them but bottom line is I am just trying to survive, I am sure everyone is tired of me complaining about how much this is costing me but bottom line is I nor any other race track can survive without help from the racing community.

If every race track closes then what, we all sit at home and watch Nascar which is no more than a money pit that is killing its roots as well.

Anyway thanks for the comments.

Owen

You're right, even if the track isn't making money, the bills are still coming in. I understand that you don't want to snub your responsibilities, I just see that the time of year can make it tough to keep things going.

There have been many ideas for keeping the fans coming in but consider this also, generally speaking, no one wants to tear up their car, even at the expense of the track. As for adding some excitement, nothing wrong with that. You spoke about the purse being big for mods and moving down from there. Just an idea, let all the drivers know that the biggest purse could be determined by how many cars come out for their class. Once you finish draw, figure up @ the driver's meeting what class is racing for the money or even spread the money out. We all know that regularly the same individuals are winning the big money, shaking things up a bit may give some of the other loyal attendees the chance @ a good night of winnings.

Anyway, keep it up. I'm sure it will work out for you. :)

Here is a thought for the "village"...I don't have a chance to race at STS as often as I would like, but I have come to know a lot of the racers there over the years as well as Owen. It seems like a very tight knit group and most of you seem to get along, not only with each other but with Owen as well. How many times has your promoter thrown a BBQ, or had a keg in the pits after the races, or emptied out what is left over in the concession stand so all the kids could eat a hot dog. How many times has he promoted a dash for cash just to put a little something extra in someones payout at the end of the night. Or, even dig into his own pocket to cover a purse that he never promoted but somehow the rumour got started, either on this forum on some other grapevine and he backed it up just to save face and maintain the integrity of the track. Out of curiousity I added up the purse for a full night of racing at STS, it comes up at right around $6500.00 per night. Now here is the real food for thought. Has the racing "village" ever thought about maybe just have a "Race for Owen" night? What would it really cost every racer out there at STS to just walk past the pay window some night? Individually, it would not mean much...but collectively it would mean $6500.00 in Owen's pocket and that is huge. I mean come on if you think about it how much of a dent would it really put in everyone's budget, just one night. And instead of just being able to get on here and thank Owen for the great job he does and telling him how well the officials do at the track (which is great) you could do something that would really help. Now that is a race that I would be sure to make.

Great idea Driveline...although I'm just a fan, I completely agree with your thinking. Maybe it could also be a "double points" night...so there would be something in it for the drivers (something extra). Of course, I'm not a casual dirt track fan...and am willing to pay premium price to watch a good dirt show. I did, as a matter of fact, pay $25 this past weekend at the Devil's Bowl for their WinterNationals show...and can say that, with the exception of the ASCS races (about 50 cars), the other classes were not as entertaining nor as competitive as we get at STS every week.

...just a fan

Got I-Stock?

Here is a thought for the "village"...I don't have a chance to race at STS as often as I would like, but I have come to know a lot of the racers there over the years as well as Owen. It seems like a very tight knit group and most of you seem to get along, not only with each other but with Owen as well. How many times has your promoter thrown a BBQ, or had a keg in the pits after the races, or emptied out what is left over in the concession stand so all the kids could eat a hot dog. How many times has he promoted a dash for cash just to put a little something extra in someones payout at the end of the night. Or, even dig into his own pocket to cover a purse that he never promoted but somehow the rumour got started, either on this forum on some other grapevine and he backed it up just to save face and maintain the integrity of the track. Out of curiousity I added up the purse for a full night of racing at STS, it comes up at right around $6500.00 per night. Now here is the real food for thought. Has the racing "village" ever thought about maybe just have a "Race for Owen" night? What would it really cost every racer out there at STS to just walk past the pay window some night? Individually, it would not mean much...but collectively it would mean $6500.00 in Owen's pocket and that is huge. I mean come on if you think about it how much of a dent would it really put in everyone's budget, just one night. And instead of just being able to get on here and thank Owen for the great job he does and telling him how well the officials do at the track (which is great) you could do something that would really help. Now that is a race that I would be sure to make.

Driveline that has to be THE most selfless thing I have seen on here, and one of the best ideas for local tracks that I can recall....smokin idea.

The idea has been mentioned several times on several msg boards. However everyone is always up to doing it after the fact. Well thats too damn late! Owen dont be shy, damnit alot of people are wanting this track to survive this year and next. You have a creative mind, have been working your ass off and I know you can use your power for the good of your track and survival. I know exactly what your going through. I ran Battleground Speedway for half a season when unforecasted weekly expenses simply shut us down. I also know about the buttholes that bring on the extra stress no matter how hard you try. I made money or broke even almost every week but the expenses you never plan for is what did me in and it will do anyone in. I am all for a track benefit race, hell I even recommended it 6 months ago for I37 but nobody did anything. You have everything to pull it off just simply ask and you might just be real surprised. If you do I have a set of trophy's I will donate to the cause. Getter done and good luck. By the way what is the plans for the tx stockcar championship? Maybe thats the week to pull it off but me personaly I would do it when all classes are there. Also if the drivers are donating make all the employees as well and it will be bigger homerun.

I would do a "Night for Owen" race. Heck Iv told Owen that I would still show up and race even I wasnt getting paid. I race cause its a a hobby not a career.Yeah money is tight when you dont have it but if you dont have money to even show up to the track and race then what heck are you doing in racing anyways. How about our last night of points we hold this race. I would be willing to let Owen keep my winnings even though I use my winnings to pay my brother for parts I am buying from him but hey he can wait,having a track to keep racing is more important then him waiting a few more weeks to get his money. ;)

Double points night for me is Fine I will even throw in an extra $50 dollars into the pot. I value Owen honesty and integerity we are not there to break the bank with winnings. We simply love to race and get our racing fix for the week... Mark and I would gladly leave our money on the table. Want to see more big races thru out the year. Lets make this happen.... I will even bring in some fajitas from down here and lets us make a thankyou pit party out of it... Lets see what everyone can do together. Support Our Local Track... Owen Supports Us.... its only fair... Awesome Idea Clay... Maybe you could use your influence to get Chef Bobby to mess up the food like always...

Russell

We would be willing to run a benefit race on 10-27 which is double points and the last night of points.

Iwould like to see others who care about STS to post their opinions. We dont race for money but any

winnings help. We have had plenty of pit pass only returns and still race again the next race. We are ate

up with it, but cant afford to travel out of town every weekend to race. Lets make it work here.

2 JACKS RACING

Bobby and Karen Jack

GET-R-DONE I say 10-27-07 is Owens Night. Come on guys and gals let do this for Owen he deserves it more than anything. He has busted A-- all year to give us a place to race ,we OWE it to him to give back. If Clay is right and it makes $6500 for Owen that would be awsome. Be even better to make more.

We would be there and another idea once the track is back on its feet is this. I never understood why a driver deserves $25 for coming in 14th out of 16 cars. Pay only the top 10 finishers it gives drivers a goal to shoot for. Its stupid to give their money back for running in the back. Alot of teams may only sell 1 or 2 pit passes as it is and your giving it back making no money at all on those teams. Things like this is what its going to take to keep it going. Plus big races like the Tx Stockcar Championship, LOL!

NAME THE NIGHT WE WILL TRY TO BE THERE JUST DONT TELL THE RAIN GOD THAT WE ARE COMING AND ITS ON OWEN NEEDS A LITTLE TLC EVEN THOUGH I RACE EVERY WHERE I SEEM TO BE SOME SORT OF A HOMELESS SORT BUT LETS DO IT GREAT IDEAL DRIVELINE ;)

WE HAVE A NEW MACHINE THAT MASS PRODUCES THE BLUE STUFF LETS GET DRUNK ON BEHALF OF OWEN IT IS SELF SERVE SO DONT BLAME ME HA HA ;)

I am really glad to see all of the positive responses to this idea. There is a small problem with the 10/27 date if you guys are wanting some support from " the valley boys ", at least this valley boy. There is a huge wedding on that night that has been in the making for over a year now and I know me and my son TJ(98) have to be there. I also know the likes of Adam Schach(07), Bobby Smith(9), Chris Brandt(38), Sak(31), Bobby Maupin(91), and some others that I have not mentioned may not be able to make that race. If there is any other weekend please reconsider the date so we can show our support as well. On another note...everyone needs to understand that this race WILL NOT be promoted in any way by Owen Pittman or STS, he is too much of a stand up guy to do that. So, if there are some that want to see this happen, it needs to be promoted from within "the village", it needs to be be talked up from racer to racer in the pits, on the phone, on this forum, maybe someone needs to take the microphone away from him at the driver's meeting and announce it, I don't know, but I can assure you that you will not hear a word from Owen. And evryone needs to agree and participate, from the guy that wins every weekend to the guy that comes in last every weekend to the guy like me that shows up every month or two, everyone has to be on board. Or it won't work!!! No matter what weekend you guys decide on you can count on DriveLines' entry fee and pit passes to be at the box office even if we don't race.

THIS WOULD BE HISTORY IN THE MAKING IF YOU GUYS RACE FOR FREE FOR OWEN .. I DONT RECALL EVER HEARING DRIVERS DOING THIS FOR A PROMOTER ... ITS UNPRESIDENTED .BAD SPELL I THINK ... EVERY ONE OF YOU WHO WILL DO THIS ARE CLASS ACTS .. I IF I HAVE THE MONEY THAT WEEK WILL COME OUT AND WATCH ...... MAYBE YOU ALL WILL GET SOMETHING STARTED AT OTHER TRACKS ASWELL ...SO DRIVERS GO FOR IT ..IF YOUR NOT RACEN YOUR PROBABLY PARTYING SOMEWHERE .......SO SPEND THAT MONEY AT STS ....... JMO ..PS MAYBE THE STAFF CAN DONATE ASWELL ..I KNOW FLAGMAN IS RICH HE CAN AFFORD IT .. I DONT RACE THERE BUT I PULL FOR THIS TRACK TO STAY OPEN .AND FOR YOU TO HAVE A DIRT TRACK HERE IN CC TO RACE AT

You can count me in. Owen deserves our help. Mother nature has killed the track this year. I have to congradulate Owen on the wonderful job he does and I know it is a hard one. Anything we can to to keep us a place to race and a great place to race as well I am in. A night for Owen sounds great.

SHRIMP STEP IN AND MAKE THE DAY WE WILL BE THERE WHEN DRIVELINE AND TEAM CAN BE THERE WHAT A GREAT IDEAL I MIGHT EVEN MAKE IT A LITTLE BETTER WHEN WE GET THERE OWEN OBV NEEDS SOME TLC RUNNING A TRACK IS A HUGE TAKE ON AND FOR THE HELP HE GETS I KNOW SOME OF THEM WORK VERY HARD ALSO SO SHRIMP U PUT THE LOAD ON UR SHOULDERS AND FIGURE IT OUT GIT ER DONE ;)

Archived