TMS IMCA

jracer98

Reb or Sarge,

Thanks for the advice. I made it out there after work Saturday and enjoyed the night. It's been forever since I was a spectator at a dirt track.

Why do they "occasionally" restart some of the races off of turn 2?

Also, in your opinion, were those "regular" claimable IMCA engines? There were some substancial differences considering you could own any of them for $525?

Thanks

Jay

Jay,

Not really understanding the "occasionally" restart some of the races off of turn 2" question. All the restarts in the I. M. C. A. classes was off turn two, with a cone on the backstretch just shy of half way. Couldn't pass until after the cone. The leader could go anytime he wanted in two, or if he reached the cone, the race was on. Most dirt tracks turn the lights off when the leader is halfway down the backstretch and he can go anytime after the light is off. If the leader hasn't gone by turn four, the flag man turns the green light on and they are racing.

The Sprint Series of Texas was run under their rules, as they are not I. M. C. A. They restarted out of four, with the cone on the frontstretch at the flag stand.

About the engines. I would say most guys were running their "good" claimer engine. And yes, full claim was in effect, as it was an I. M. C. A. points paying event. So, a guy has to figure out what he is willing to lose for $525. As far as I know, there were no claims at all the entire race weekend.

Some guys are willing to sell you more motor than others for $525. It is part of the game. And trust me, if you go too big, someone will get it cheap, eventually.

Glad you made it out there. I told you there were a ton of I. M. C. A. Modifieds in the state. The rules would be absolutely the same if an asphalt track wanted to sanction them.

It was an absolutely great weekend of racing. Eddie Gossage was grinning from ear to ear as he looked over the crowd! I am pretty sure they set an attendance record for the Dirt Track. And it was for an I. M. C. A. race, with local racers, in the local race cars. No big names, no exotic "traveling" cars. It was just a real big, Saturday night, race at the local dirt track.

12 Thousand people to watch the local heros! Man I love this sport! Man was it a great event to be a part of!

Bill "Sarge" Masom

Host of the K-MAC Sports show, Dirt Track Insider

Jay,

"Not really understanding the "occasionally" restart some of the races off of turn 2" question. All the restarts in the I. M. C. A. classes was off turn two, with a cone on the backstretch just shy of half way. Couldn't pass until after the cone. The leader could go anytime he wanted in two, or if he reached the cone, the race was on. Most dirt tracks turn the lights off when the leader is halfway down the backstretch and he can go anytime after the light is off. If the leader hasn't gone by turn four, the flag man turns the green light on and they are racing. "

It just struck me as odd. The races all "started" at the standard area. I didn't understand why they should restart in a different place. The track is symmetrically shaped so that's probably not a factor. It just seemed odd to have restarts as far away from the crowd as possible.

"The Sprint Series of Texas was run under their rules, as they are not I. M. C. A. They restarted out of four, with the cone on the frontstretch at the flag stand. About the engines. I would say most guys were running their "good" claimer engine. And yes, full claim was in effect, as it was an I. M. C. A. points paying event. So, a guy has to figure out what he is willing to lose for $525. As far as I know, there were no claims at all the entire race weekend."

Is that unusual? I read somewhere that the top 4 or 5 cars in the big IMCA races "automatically" get claimed and then auctioned off?

"Some guys are willing to sell you more motor than others for $525. It is part of the game. And trust me, if you go too big, someone will get it cheap, eventually. Glad you made it out there. I told you there were a ton of I. M. C. A. Modifieds in the state. The rules would be absolutely the same if an asphalt track wanted to sanction them. It was an absolutely great weekend of racing. Eddie Gossage was grinning from ear to ear as he looked over the crowd! I am pretty sure they set an attendance record for the Dirt Track. And it was for an I. M. C. A. race, with local racers, in the local race cars. No big names, no exotic "traveling" cars. It was just a real big, Saturday night, race at the local dirt track."

I bet he was. Big back gate, $15,000 in parking, Tetco sponsor dollars, " NFL Super Bowl" concession prices :D .....On the other hand, he also had plenty of payroll and other costs to cover.

"12 Thousand people to watch the local heros! Man I love this sport! Man was it a great event to be a part of!"

I was amazed at the size of the crowd.

Bill "Sarge" Masom

Host of the K-MAC Sports show, Dirt Track Insider

Drove up from the Valley and was in attendance all 3 nights...probably 3-4 thousand in attendance on Thurs-Fri...but jam packed on Saturday night as folks even had to watch from the grassy areas. I would agree that it was the largest crowd ever at the dirt track...reminded me of Eldora.

All five championship races were spectacular...especially the Modifieds (as advertised). Amazing to see four and five wide racing with the 80 foot wide turns...

SST Sprints not as big or fast as the ASCS I saw in Corpus last weekend (305 spec vs. a 360), but a lot more competition...not just the pole sprinting to the win.

Don't think the Devil's Bowl WinterNationals will be as good...but will find out.

...Just a fan.

Got I-Stock?

Jay, I "think"<<<key word alert>>>, that they start out of turn 2 with the cone in the middle of the back stretch to avoid the accordian effect in turns 3-4 if they start in turn 4. You seldom, if ever, see that happen if the restarts are back there. (pavement tracks could take a lesson here)

As for you claim question, as Sarge mentioned there were no claims which could have only been done at the end of each championship race, not a qualifier. I'm fairly certain that no one(that I spoke to anyway) had a monster motor in the car.

The only real place(big IMCA race) that the top four lose their motors is at the SuperNationals in Boone. The promoter(yes I said promoter...Lawty himself) exercises his promoters claim option, more than the drivers. He then sells the motors in an after race auction and puts that money back into the purse.

Even as happy as Eddie may have been, he says TMS has NO intentions of running a lot of shows. He is more about the 6-7 figure profit margin, than 4-5 figure one. LOL ANY short track would be more than happy with those figures, but not TMS. LMAO I will say in his defense that the overhead on the dirt track is probably more for the two big shows than an average track spends all year. Hell the light bill alone would kill most of us. LMAO

Glad you made it out!!

Jay, I "think"<<<key word alert>>>, that they start out of turn 2 with the cone in the middle of the back stretch to avoid the accordian effect in turns 3-4 if they start in turn 4. You seldom, if ever, see that happen if the restarts are back there. (pavement tracks could take a lesson here)

As for you claim question, as Sarge mentioned there were no claims which could have only been done at the end of each championship race, not a qualifier. I'm fairly certain that no one(that I spoke to anyway) had a monster motor in the car.

The only real place(big IMCA race) that the top four lose their motors is at the SuperNationals in Boone. The promoter(yes I said promoter...Lawty himself) exercises his promoters claim option, more than the drivers. He then sells the motors in an after race auction and puts that money back into the purse.

Even as happy as Eddie may have been, he says TMS has NO intentions of running a lot of shows. He is more about the 6-7 figure profit margin, than 4-5 figure one. LOL ANY short track would be more than happy with those figures, but not TMS. LMAO I will say in his defense that the overhead on the dirt track is probably more for the two big shows than an average track spends all year. Hell the light bill alone would kill most of us. LMAO

Glad you made it out!!

HUH???? How does shifting the same action "180 degrees" fix that brake check deal? Asked another way, why wouldn't the brake jam just occur on the FRONT straight and thru 1 and 2? I just hadn't seen it before...no big deal.

On another subject, That 18 sprint car was "married" to the high line until the bitter end, wasn't he?

Jay

I posted this on the pavement forum, but it is probably more appropriate here. I happen to like both dirt and pavement and I know I'm not alone.

I agree that the features were great and especially the modified main, but I saw a lot of great heat races too. And I mean a lot!

But what really caught my attention was the Sprint Series of Texas. I knew there was a 305 sprint class running around, but didn't know much about them. They may soon be one of my favorites though. Here's what I found on the net today about them. And they will be racing at Kennedale (now I can't remember if it's Cowtown or Kennedale Speedway park or both) friday and saturday nights this weekend. They had 36 at TMS and ran 24 in the feature. They should put on a great show this weekend.

RaceSaver® Links

RACESAVER® SPRINT SERIES

2007 Rules

Regionally Affiliated RACESAVER® Groups:

Virginia Sprint Series, PA 305 Sprints, El Paso Renegade Sprint Series

Smiley's SST Series, CRSA NY Series, Tech Motor Speedway

Virginia Motor Speedway

Printable version

The RACESAVER® Sprint Series sanctions regional groups who utilize the RACESAVER® Spec rules. We maintain a master technical file on every RACESAVER® 305 Spec head. This supports each regions technical staff, enabling common rules compliance throughout the series. 2007 will mark the 9th 305 Nationals (sm) running under the RACESAVER® Sprint Series sanction.

The RACESAVER® Sprint Series encourages affordable Sprint Car Racing. A competent race car, utilizing a 1 year old rolling chassis and a new engine can be on the track for around $10,000. The engine operates in the 6500 rpm range and produces 400 to 425 hp. It can utilize lower cost components and still have excellent durability. Most of these engines race 3 or more seasons without an overhaul.

Since it is impossible to prevent racers from spending money, RACESAVER® Spec rules prevent money from buying a significant advantage. These proven rules are the result of considerable research and 9 successful years of racing. TheRACESAVER® 305 Spec head, made to our specifications is the foundation of our rules. We keep gauged, inspected and serial numbered heads in stock. Ten full seasons of hard racing, and over a 6000 dyno pulls, have proved the RACESAVER® Spec engine rules beyond any doubt. All engines must be sealed before they are allowed to compete. The engine must be drilled for sealing wire on: 2 adjacent cylinder head bolts on each head, 2 intake bolts, and 2 timing cover bolts. All logo and trademark stamps must be intact at time of inspection.

History:

In the fall of 1996 Bill Rice, Mike Williams, and French Grimes laid the ground work for what evolved into the Virginia Sprint Series. The Virginia Sprint Series pioneered the RACESAVER® Sprint Series banner.

1998 PA 305 Sprints founded by Gerald Reinhart and Tom Worrick.

2002 El Paso Sprint Series founded by Ken McDaniel of Avenger Chassis.

2004 Smiley Sitton founded Smiley’s Sprint Series of Texas

2006 CRSA founded by Brian Grisel, Tech Motor Speedway, Gene Light

2006 Virginia Motor Speedway, Clarke Sawyer 804-758-1867

Competition Objectives:

This is recreational racing. Cost containment is our primary objective. Respect, for competitors, fans, and promoters, is fundamental to our success. We will do what is necessary to produce a good competitive show each night. We will not tolerate overtly aggressive driving. The willingness to give racing room is a defining aspect of RACESAVER® Sprint Series races.

Regional Series Directors:

Mid Atlantic French Grimes, 3943 Hebron Valley Rd. Madison VA 22727 540-923-4541

Pennsylvania Tom Worrick, E 1141 College Ave. Bellefonte, PA 16823

814-383-4332 Web site: www.pa305sprints.com

El Paso Jimmy Harris 14672 Montana Ave. El Paso, 915-256-3948

Ken McDaniel 15501 Peggy Hopkins El Paso, TX 79938 915-857-2899

Dallas Smiley Sitton PO box 210739 Dallas TX 75211 214-331-4664

CRSA Brian Grisel 32 Upper Prospect St. Fonda, NY 12068 845-298-7239

Tech Motor Speedway Gene Light 806-777-7223

Virginia Motor Speedway, Clarke Sawyer 804-758-1867

1: Blocks, GM 305 V-8s w/ approved casting #’s 361979 460776 460777 460778

2: #’s continued: 14010201 14010202 14010203 14088551 14016381 355909

3: Max C.I. 315.9 No Tolerance. Stroke 3.480 + - .020. Max. bore 3.801 Do the math!

4: Flat top pistons with valve reliefs, Cannot protrude from cylinder bore.

5: Crank, iron or steel, min. weight 48 lbs. 1% tolerance, min. main brg. dia. 2.450 -.030.

6: 5.7” steel rods, min. rod journal dia. 2.100 -.030. Oil pan inspection hole to view rods.

7: Cam drive: Chain only. No gear or belt drives. No device to vary running cam timing.

8: Steel hub or SFI approved damper. Stock location water pump.

9: Stock (.842) dia. flat tappets. NO roller, hydraulic, mushroom or radius tappets.

10: No hard face overlay cams. Original cam configuration & firing order (18436572)

11: Spring specs: Only straight wound springs w/flat damper. Max dia.1.265”, min. dia. 1.200, Installed ht. min. 1.650, max I.H. 1.825.Absolute max.pressures: @ seat 120#, @ .500 lift 355#, max. wire dia..195, Max. free ht. 2.100, min. free ht. 1.900. Spring must have min. of 5 full coils.

12: Wet sump, internal pump only, no crankcase vacuum systems.

13: Roller rockers allowed. 3/8” stud mount rockers only. NO shaft systems.

14: Absolute max. valve lift: (.510” int., .535” exh.) measured @ zero lash @ valve retainer.

15: No girdles, rev kits, or valve train stabilizers. Tappet access for inspection required.

16: No repositioning, boring or bushing of cam or lifter bores. Max cam dia.1.869 + .002

17: Valves: Int. 1.94”, exh. 1.60”, Stem 11/32”, orig. length & weight, No altered or hollow stems.

18: Ferrous material only: Valves, Retainers, Keepers, Push rods, Springs, Tappets, Cam and cam drives, Crank, Rods, Wrist pins, Fasteners, Main Caps, No titanium or ceramics in engine.

19: Point type Magnetos, or Kettering style ignition. Constant flow fuel injection only.

20: 100 lb. wt. penalty for use of any electronic components, incl: ignition, ECU’s or driver aids.

21: RACESAVER® 305 SPEC head: Absolutely NO changes. NO machining, milling, resurfacing, grinding, polishing, welding, acid or caustic work, shot peening, glass beading, coating, or any other process that will alter the machined surfaces or the natural sand cast finish. Must retain all original dimensions & configurations including; Valves, springs, retainers, stems, & guides. The ONLY work allowed is: Reseating the valves. NO top cuts that extend into the aluminum of the chamber. NO, under the seat relief cuts. NO work that enlarges the as delivered throat size, 1.810 Int. & 1.345 Ex. (+ or - .010). NO bowl changes. NO CHANGES! Every dimension of these heads has a gauge dimension that must be met for them to be certified. Change any one of them and you will be disqualified. The stamped identification marks may not be altered.

22: Compression Ratio: 10.25 to 1 absolute maximum. C.R. checked w/ Whistle, or by pouring the assembled cylinder. Absolute minimum assembled cylinder volume: 70 cc. Heads may NOT be milled !!! Only exception is pre- approved milling to repair surface. All repairs MUST be pre- approved. Contact RACESAVER® @ 540-923-4541 before attempting repairs. A repair authorization number will be issued. After repair, heads must be recertified and marked accordingly. Original serial numbers and certification marks must be intact. They may not be altered or obscured. Any & all repairs MUST be pre-approved and heads recertified. If any

spec head is found to be modified; it must be REPLACED with a certified spec head.

23: The spirit and intent of the RACESAVER® 305 SPEC Engine Rules will prevail.

Any attempt to circumvent the rules will result in confiscation of suspect parts, and other significant penalties. We reserve the right to exchange any Spec Head at any time. If heads are illegal, NO exchange will be made. Illegal heads will be restamped as “ILLEGAL”.

For Information on Sanctioning requirements, rules clarification, or to order:

Call: RACESAVER® Sprint Series @ 540-923-4541 540-923-4543

Web sites: www.racesaver.com or www.frenchgrimes.com

These car rules apply to all interregional and national events. Variances on weight, front wing & tire rules, may be acceptable within single region events.

Minimum weight with driver after race: 1560 # w/ steel wheels, 1600 # w aluminum wheels. When weighed before a race, all cars must exceed minimum weight by the weight of the fuel burned in that event. {Ex., a 25 lap feature burns 50 lbs. of fuel, therefore cars weighed before a 25 lap race must scale; 1610# steel, 1650# Aluminum} NO FUEL may be added after the race. Ballast weight must be between the front motor plate and 12“ behind the rear motor plate, and must be secured by a minimum of 3 - 3/8” dia. bolts. Cars without an on board fire system must carry an additional 25 lbs.

1: Frame and body must have a sprint car appearance. Wheel base 80” minimum, 95” max.

2: Rear bumpers & rub rails, steel only, .095 max. wall (Can NOT contain ballast or lead.)

3: RR Bead lock required. No Bleeders. Minimum RR tire durometer 35.

4: Wing maximums: 25 sq. ft., 61” wide, 2.5” belly, side boards 30” by 72”, 16” numbers on both sides of wing. 10 degrees max. wing angle, No wicker bill, No front wings.

5: No cockpit adjustable weight jacks, shocks, or wings.

6: Brakes in working order on at least 3 wheels.

7: No open drive lines. Safety hoop or strap required. Center section must be centered in frame.

8: Fuel tank bladder required. Fuel shut off at tank required. No electric fuel pumps.

9: Methanol only. No power enhancing additives allowed. Fuel lube allowed subject to review.

10: Safety minimum requirements: Approved 5 point harness, fire suit, gloves, roll bar padding, shoes, arm restraints, and SFI approved helmet. Hans ® device recommended.

11: Tech official decides legality of entry. Penalties determined by competition committee.

Disclaimers:

The rules and/or policies set forth herein are designed to provide for the orderly conduct of racing events and to establish minimum acceptable requirements for such events.

These rules shall govern the condition of all events and by participating in these events, all participants are deemed to have complied with these rules or policies.

NO EXPRESSED OR IMPLIED WARRANTY OF SAFETY SHALL RESULT FROM PUBLICATION OF, OR COMPLIANCE WITH THESE RULES AND/OR REGULATIONS.

They are intended as a guide for the conduct of the sport and are in no way a guarantee against injury or death to a participant, spectator or official. The race advisor shall be empowered to permit minor deviation from any of the specifications herein imposed and further restrictions that in his opinion do not alter minimum acceptable requirements.

NO EXPRESSED OR IMPLIED WARRANTY OF SAFETY SHALL RESULT FROM SUCH ALTERATIONS OF SPECIFICATIONS.

The RACESAVER® Sprint Series is comprised of all volunteer, uncompensated officials who can not be held responsible for any actions taken by host race tracks or their safety crews. By participating in said race events, all participants acknowledge that: Racing is a dangerous sport that could result in injury or death to a participant, spectator or official, and the suitability of the track, race conditions, and safety considerations is solely their responsibility.

For Information on sanctioning, rules, or to order RACESAVER® 305 SPEC heads:

Optional procedures:

The following conditions are pertinent to Virginia Sprint Series and may be employed in regional events: Virginia Sprint Series participation is limited and by invitation. We reserve the right to limit the number of active members and / or entries at any event. Major events require pre-entry.

1: Intentional or overtly careless rough driving will not be tolerated! Progressive safe starts are the cornerstone of safe racing. We will be particularly vigilant for excessively aggressive driving on the start.

2: Technical inspections will take place at the beginning of the year and at any time thereafter.

3: Line up: After the feature, numbers will be drawn for the next weeks feature line up. Cars will be grouped, numbers drawn for starting position, and lined up as follows: Non winners, 1 race winners, 2 race winners, etc. Cars missing an event will be handicapped to the rear for 2 weeks, but in front of penalty cars. In the interests of safety, the lineup may be adjusted if car control is in question. The 2006 season will continue the established winner and non winner groups. The third group, (multiple winners) will begin when a driver wins a second race. Reclassification of race winners may occur after 20 events without a win. If there are 26 cars or less, heat races may be eliminated in favor of “A”, “B”, & “C” Dashes. The line up for the dashes will be handicapped, with the faster cars to the rear.

4: On board Fire extinguishers required. Push vehicle fire extinguishers encouraged.

5: Lapped cars are to stay low on the track. The lapped car is instructed to hold a consistent line. A lapped car is responsible for running at a pace that will allow complete control.

6: A leading car is required to leave a racing lane for a car that is positioned alongside of the leading car. Repeated chop or slide jobs will be penalized. The leading car has the responsibility to look for an overtaking car before committing to a line that uses up most of the race track. Any car that spins 3 times will be sent to the pits.

Special events have entry procedures that accommodate larger fields. In order to maintain equitable entry procedure for regular events, the following conditions apply: A waiting list of cars exists. When a new competitor wishes to enter VSS events, their name will be added to the waiting list. Participation of a car from the waiting list will contribute to their position on the roster. Should a regular VSS competitor indicate their desire to forgo their support of the bulk of our events, they may be replaced on the active roster with a car from the waiting list.

All events will require entry prior to race day. The first 24 cars entered will comprise the field for that event. All cars must have valid VSS seals, and meet all rules. Verbal confirmation of entry must be made three days prior to race day. This may be done the preceding week at the track, or by phone to RACESAVER® 540-923-4541. Should the need arise, cars on the waiting list will be allowed to enter. The opportunity to compete in our events is based on previous participation and support.

Penalty Procedures Stages:

Stage 1: If the first incident is minor, a meeting will be held between the competition committee and the drivers involved. This meeting will include only the drivers and competition committee.

Stage 2: Should a second incident occur; or if the first incident is significant, the driver(s) involved will be advised of the penalties. The driver(s) deemed responsible may be required to start at the rear of the field for 2 weeks. The driver(s) will also be on probation for these 2 weeks.

Stage 3: Should a third incident occur; a letter will be sent to the driver(s) involved advising them of the length of suspension.

Any member of a team who goes to another competitors pit, or race directors, or the track officials and engages in a verbal or physical confrontation; may subject that team immediate suspension.

Disclaimers:

The rules and/or policies set forth herein are designed to provide for the orderly conduct of racing events and to establish minimum acceptable requirements for such events.

These rules shall govern the condition of all events and by participating in these events, all participants are deemed to have complied with these rules or policies.

NO EXPRESSED OR IMPLIED WARRANTY OF SAFETY SHALL RESULT FROM PUBLICATION OF, OR COMPLIANCE WITH THESE RULES AND/OR REGULATIONS. They are intended as a guide for the conduct of the sport and are in no way a guarantee against injury or death to a participant, spectator or official. The race advisor shall be empowered to permit minor deviation from any of the specifications herein imposed and further restrictions that in his opinion do not alter minimum acceptable requirements.

NO EXPRESSED OR IMPLIED WARRANTY OF SAFETY SHALL RESULT FROM SUCH ALTERATIONS OF SPECIFICATIONS.

The Virginia Sprint Series is comprised of all volunteer, uncompensated officials who can not be held responsible for any actions taken by host race tracks or their safety crews. By participating in said race events, all participants acknowledge that: Racing is a dangerous sport that could result in injury or death to a participant, spectator or official, and the suitability of the track, race conditions, and safety considerations is solely their responsibility.

I have read, understand and agree to abide by the aforementioned disclaimers, rules & specifications. Signed:

Please initial all pages, sign and return to:

Virginia Sprint Series 3943 Hebron Valley Rd.

Madison, VA 22727

For Information on sanctioning, rules, or to order RACESAVER® 305 SPEC heads:

Copyright© RACESAVER® 2004,2005,2006 All Rights Reserved.

HUH???? How does shifting the same action "180 degrees" fix that brake check deal? Asked another way, why wouldn't the brake jam just occur on the FRONT straight and thru 1 and 2? I just hadn't seen it before...no big deal.

On another subject, That 18 sprint car was "married" to the high line until the bitter end, wasn't he?

Jay if a race usually starts/restarts in turn 4, then the middle of the back stretch isn't exactly 180 degree. Instead of the field slowing for turns 3-4, they are accelerating out of turn 2 for the back stretch, It seems to work......what can you say about that?

Yes Mike Goerge had the top working, too bad lapped traffic ruined that. "The best laid plans of mice and men soon fall asunder" ....or something like that.

Yep Lucky, to the untrained eye the 305's could fool anyone. I found out that the Sprints that run El Paso Speedway Park and Las Cruces(N.M.) are 305's also. You really couldn't tell the speed difference unless you had a stop watch on them.

...Yes Mike Goerge had the top working, too bad lapped traffic ruined that. "The best laid plans of mice and men soon fall asunder" ....or something like that....

The best laid schemes o' Mice an' Men,

Gang aft agley

Robert Burns ( a fellow Scot) :D

Jay if a race usually starts/restarts in turn 4, then the middle of the back stretch isn't exactly 180 degree. Instead of the field slowing for turns 3-4, they are accelerating out of turn 2 for the back stretch, It seems to work......what can you say about that?

Yes Mike Goerge had the top working, too bad lapped traffic ruined that. "The best laid plans of mice and men soon fall asunder" ....or something like that.

Yep Lucky, to the untrained eye the 305's could fool anyone. I found out that the Sprints that run El Paso Speedway Park and Las Cruces(N.M.) are 305's also. You really couldn't tell the speed difference unless you had a stop watch on them.

Yes, the El Paso sprints are the same rules as these. They make a lot of sense to me for regular people that just want to race. I'm looking forward to seeing them again this weekend.

I think the "surprise" start that occurs anytime from light out to turn 4 @ texas Thunder is what keeps the pack tight... Also the Modified Waco 2 wide start with the leader out front helps.. keep things close...

The first time I saw a "surprise" start was at the Talledega Short Track in AL. The flagman would turn on the green light and wave the green at anytime once they were on the back straight. Of course they probably didn't see the flag, but they could see the light and it seemed to work pretty well.

I also like the leader by himself restart. I think all the tracks running the Winged Modifieds a few years ago were using that, but I don't think as many are now.

Archived