We've lost another one

Rosie

From the Abilene Reporter-News

Abilene dragstrip set to close in November

By Celinda Emison (Contact)

Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Abilene's dragstrip is set to close in November, but it has nothing to do with a civil lawsuit filed against a former employee accused of financial improprieties, says a man who is leasing the property.

The former employee denies she did anything improper, and no criminal charges have been filed against her.

The dragstrip, which is owned by the estate of Burl Harris of Abilene, and leased by Robert and Wynette Hudgins of Clyde, will close in November. The lease on the dragstrip is up in November, and Robert Hudgins does not plan to renew it. Harris died Jan. 14.

-snip-

The rest of the story

Sad new, I met Burl when the track was still being built and he had Tommy Simmons helping him with the place. Saspeedracer and I got to take a run down the strip, in a Hummer, no less. Pretty neat place with angled grandstands for easy spectator viewing. Too bad it will lay in wait until someone comes along. I'll see if Tommy has any new news when I go to the Southern Challenge in October.

I know Tommy Dupree made that track Zing and then he left Abilene and moved to Norwalk,Ohio to work for IHRA the year before the original owner passed away.Tommy could sell and get sponsorship like nobody I ever seen(he does it for IHRA now,because he was so good at it) and run a track and showed the racers he cared about them.In return they supported the track in masses.Never seen a track with so many business signs hanging everywhere.After the owner died, the track was sold and the new owners changed to NHRA and things changed and now this.It's sad,I hope someone keeps it going.

Archived