New Manager/Promoter at I-37 Speedway

rebelracewriter

I-37 Speedway to get new Manager/Promoter

By J M Hallas

Pleasanton, Texas. Effective immediately, Joe Horne will take over day to day operations of the 1/4 mile dirt track, south of San Antonio. Mr. Horne has been a long time supporter and sponsor of local racing and racers in the south/central Texas area. During the early 80's Mr. Horne was President of San Antonio Raceway, a ½ mile paved circuit.

During his tenure at San Antonio Raceway, many changes were made to benefit the local racers. Mr. Horne also brought in traveling series, such as T.I.D.A.(Texas International Drivers Association), ASA(American Speed Association), Joey Chitwoods Thrill Show and car shows. Mr. Horne has already begun changes at I-37 Speedway, the first being the addition of big show over Thanksgiving weekend. New restrooms and additional bleachers are also in the works.

Saturday November 29th the track will host a $1200 to win Modified show along with a $1000 to win Pure Stock race. Both races will be a $40 entry fee. Rules for the modifieds will be similar to those for the Miller Modified Nationals in McAllen in hopes of drawing cars from there. Fliers for the race will be available at Abilene Speedway this weekend, Heart O’ Texas Speedway (Waco) during the Fall Classic, and Rio Grande Speedway(McAllen).

The track will be available for practice on Friday the 28th, though due to insurance regulations, only one car at a time will be on the track. Admission for Saturday’s show will be $10 for adults, $6 for seniors, and children under 6 free. Gates open at 11:00 AM, with racing scheduled to start at 2:00 PM. For more info visit the website forum at www.i37speedway.com or contact Frank Torres at 210-367-6261.

Coming in 2004 the track plans on once again running a winter series to include IMCA Modifieds, IMCA Stock Cars and IMCA Hobby Stocks. For the regular 2004 season, the Hot Stock class will be dropped and a Super Stock class will be added, to be more in line with other central Texas Street Stock classes.

Reb,

Pure speculation here -- but would you be driving one of the cars and Jason the other?

By the way, Joe Horne's name is spelled with an "e" at the end..

And TIDA stands for Texas International Drivers Association. Mr. Horne asked Neil Upchurch if he would form the organization since the track was unable to support its Super Late Model division. Thankfully, Mr. Upchurch agreed and ran the TIDA LM division for several years. The organization is now the ROMCO SLM series.

When Mr. Horne ran it I think the half-mile track was called San Antonio Raceway.

I think Mr. Horne will do a great job for the I-37 owners.

Nick Holt

Guest RandyBorlace

i wish he could have been there from the start,i cant wait to see the new rules for pure and also the new super stock class. this is going to be fun...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I just went to the I-37 web page. Is this the new owners page? If it is what is with trying to make money off the back gate $75 dollars to rent a parking place $25 car registration and $25 pit passes . [Edited out by Nick Holt, 1/16/03 ..why doesn't he get out and find some people to put in the grandstand instead of rapeing the racer,what next $25 dollars to reserve your colors $50 to drive down the drive way? As far as im concerened this is just another promoter that doesn't care about the racer just his money. I welcome a reponse from the track promoter for his or her reasons for all fees.

Easy supertx, All that info on the website hasn't changed since Mr Horne took over. The $75 pit rental and $25 registration were for the entire season anyway, not just this one race. There are MANY tracks that charge for number registration and to have a yearly reserved pit space, so thats nothing different than others.

I'm not the promoter, so I'm just speaking from experience, not for him.

supertx

As far as im concerened this is just another promoter that doesn't care about the racer just his money.

I think you have seriously jumped the gun here -- In fact, I almost deleted your entire post instead of just the swear word since the majority of your post was very bash-like. Of course, you were actually bashing the previous track management since those fees have been in effect all season.

Joe Horne did not strike me as the type who was in it just for the money when he owned and managed the San Antonio half mile for several seasons.

In the future, please attempt to keep your posts both civil and bash-free.

Thanks for your cooperation.

Nick Holt

Supertx-My name is Frank Torres and i am the track manager for i-37 speedway.We have not changed our website as of yet,however i took my car to five differnt tracks and had to pay to register my car number at each track.I know every track i went to allowed you to reserve a spot for the year,i-37 speedway gives its racers the same option,it is not a fee that they must pay(it is optional).If you notice on the website my cell number is listed,it is on 24-7 so that the drivers have an open communication with me anytime,i think you will find most have a answering machine thats how much we want to work with the drivers,With respect Frank Torres.

supertx I think you need to read a little slower this is for rental and registration for the whole year.

CAR REGISTRATION - $25.00 FOR THE YEAR

PIT PASS - $25.00 FOR ALL AGES

CAR SPACE RENTAL - $75.00 FOR UP FRONT OR $50.00 ALL OTHERS FOR THE YEAR.

GENERAL ADMISSION ADULTS $10.00 SENIORS 60 PLUS $8.00 KIDS 12 AND UNDER FREE.

NO ICE CHEST AT ALL IN THE PITS. ONLY BEER IN ICE CHEST MAY BE BROUGHT INTO GRANDSTANDS.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived