A Little more Speed-o-rama History

Budman

Well, I guess I'll have to go back through the pictures I have from Speed O Rama. I think I still have some. I took pictures for the track for 25 years, off and on, and have hundreds of pictures. It was changed to Longhorn Speedway then but, I was at Speed O Rama on opening day. I go back to when they were racing at Oak Hill Downs and Austin Raceway. Waldo used to drive for my uncle, Buddy Farmer and his car was a white '32 with the number of 14 in red. Back then, my favorite driver was Thruman Lovejoy and Doc Ferrel, and Layborne. Everyone loved Layborne. I might have been 4 or 5 years old back then. It was a quarter mile dirt track and so was Austi Speedway. Speed O Rama was the first asphalt track in the southwest. I now live within 5 miles of the old track. It's sad to see it grown up in weeds and decaying. Really sad. :(

Well, I guess I'll have to go back through the pictures I have from Speed O Rama. I think I still have some. I took pictures for the track for 25 years, off and on, and have hundreds of pictures. It was changed to Longhorn Speedway then but, I was at Speed O Rama on opening day. I go back to when they were racing at Oak Hill Downs and Austin Raceway. Waldo used to drive for my uncle, Buddy Farmer and his car was a white '32 with the number of 14 in red. Back then, my favorite driver was Thruman Lovejoy and Doc Ferrel, and Layborne. Everyone loved Layborne. I might have been 4 or 5 years old back then. It was a quarter mile dirt track and so was Austi Speedway. Speed O Rama was the first asphalt track in the southwest. I now live within 5 miles of the old track. It's sad to see it grown up in weeds and decaying. Really sad. :(

I guess I was havine one of my senior moments when I posted this post. Buddy's number wasn't 14, it was #21. Stupid me. Not only ws his car @21, Waldo was 21 years old then. How could I forget that!!!! Tells you how long ago that was!!!!

Hummm, I've got a DVD of a race at Playland in Houston of a white '32 coupe #21, but the narrator says it's being driven in that race by A.J. Foyt, Jr. You don't suppose that could be the same car? Guess, we'll never know. Interesting.

No way! I don't think Jr. had even been thought of then. :D

This was back in the '50's.

Archived