Austin's Speed-O-Rama / Paramount Speedway

302cominthru

Dan,I wondered what happened to you,Starvin and the Manny gang the last couple of divisional races.I kept seeing Lonnie and the BubbaLand Gang coming to the line,but didnt see you guys.Didnt know if something happened.The races you guys missed went into the wee hours of the morning, so when they ended i headed to the hotel and didnt go socializing in the pits afterwards to ask about your whereabouts.

The driver of the #97 car was my cousin, Roger Jones. He raced at Austin Speedarama in the 70's. Some of ya'll might remember him from the wrecker business. He owned Austex Towing until his death in 1998.

Those were the good old days. I took up drag racing in 1984 and now my daughter took over the driving duties.

ya'll remember workin' on Roger's car in Manny's backyard on Neal St?

• 1 year later...
The drivr of the #32 car is Pete Daughtery of Pflugerville, TX. He was a good fiend of my brothers and one of my favoerite drivers of that eime. Pete was a very good and clean driver and he always had a nice car. He ran with Calvin Gustafson way back when. Sure miss those days. Racing was racing back in those days.

MonaB, have you had a chance to get those photos downloaded on a CD? I'd sure like to see what you have.....

MonaB, have you had a chance to get those photos downloaded on a CD? I'd sure like to see what you have.....

Me too!!!!!!!!

• 5 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 7 months later...
This guy here was "dialed in." No one, and I mean no one could hang with this cat. He had it going on ALL of the time. He was a hard chargin' fool, but a clean racer. He and Paul Horelka, Tex Horn and Alvin Stewart dueled weekly at Austin in the hobby stock class. There's alot a of drivers who ought to feel damn lucky Pete never moved up to the Super Stock / Late Model class - otherwise, they'd see a whole bunch of his car's tail in their front glass......

post-4758-1185848407_thumb.jpg

Does anyone know who this driver is? I can recall him being very patient, efficient and a clean driver. I never knew who he was but always pulled for him because I thought he had CLASS.......please advise.

post-4758-1185849012_thumb.jpg

32 was Pete daughtery, we lived across the street from him. His son Dwayne later raced. Even won a super stock race at TWS in 79 or so.

Sorry to hear that Nathan. Frank had special talent. I know he and Leroy Brooks had collaborated on more than one instance. My brothers and I always loved to watch Jerry Stanley, Leroy Brooks and Cal Gustafson run the notorious #19. I dug up some more photos my brother and I collected over the years from Paramount, Speed-O-Rama and Pan Am. As you can see, a couple of the photos were taken using the old "instamatic" camera at Pan Am. Just a question for you, do you have any idea where the photo was taken of the 19 car at the dirt track? I'm certain the time frame was about May of 1976. I'll continue to post more photos for everyone to enjoy.....

post-3-1336878607.jpg

post-3-1336878613.jpg

post-3-1336878618.jpg

post-3-1336878623.jpg

Was the 19 the Camaro that had Corvette IRS or was that some other car? Anybody remember?

Was the 19 the Camaro that had Corvette IRS or was that some other car? Anybody remember?

The Camaro that ran the Corvette IRS for a very short while was the #82 red/white Camaro that Bob York campaigned out of Schertz. the driver was Wayne Rutland from Austin.

• 7 months later...
  • 11 months later...

hey Mona post or send me some pics please

1980's 02chevy from Austin or SA

• 1 year later...

Archived