Old Meyer Speedway Pics

Trotter1t

• 3 months later...

These pictures were taken at Meyer Speedway. This is MJ Burton's modified. MJ is Denny Burton's uncle. The man holding the trophy is Don Burton, Denny's dad.

Top/1st Photo

'62/'63 era, M J Burton and his daughter, Mary Ann.

Next/2nd Photo

M J Burton, possibly results of a broken steering rod, outside turn 4 in '63. Second time over the wall for M J and this car. Repaired by excellent crew and raced again.

3rd (From Top) Photo

Excellent crew, standing L to R, auto body expert and mechanic Thomas "Pop" Minor, expert mechanic and racecar owner/driver M J Burton, and bend it straight/straighten it bent expert Bob Steigel. Squating, expert racecar mechanic Don Burton and expert racecar/engine mechanic Bob "Hard Rice" Ashby. And standing on the other side of the car, showing between M J and Bob Stiegel is race fan Clyde Vermillion. Also, along with their duties on the # 5 Car crew, Don Burton and Pop Minor were also great race drivers. This # 5 Car was about as well built Modified Stock Car that ever raced and was copied several times. M J Burton won many races and was the '62 Houston Modified Champion in this car.

4th/Bottom Photo

L to R, brothers Don Burton and M J Burton. Great racers, great people!

Great pics RETrott, from a great era. Luv 'um.

I got a question for ya ................. I was looking at one of my favorite websites ............ USACRacing.com

and came across the name of an owner of 2 ford focus midgets in the Carolina Series. One is currently in first place in owner points. The name is Tracey Trotter. Just curious. Any connection?

• 2 weeks later...
Guest HUFF MOTORSPORTS

SORRY BUDMAN,

HAD ASPHALT ON THE BRAIN, I'LL START A NEW THREAD ON THIS ONE.

I HAVE A COPY OF AN OLD BOOK 1966 CLEVELAND SPEEDWAY.

HAS A LOT OF PHOTO'S AND NEWS PAPER CLIPPINGS IN IT.

"Mack" was a long time track photographer in Houston, and like some of the local racers and fans, traveled north after the season ended at Meyer Speedway that year and possibly other years as well. His son, Jimmy, did some racing some years back, but I haven't had any contact in several years. Many, many great Houston auto racing photos were taken by F. E. "Mack" McKinzie.

• 2 weeks later...

Houston, Texas 1963:Meyer Speedway, Modified Stock Car # 5, M J Burton

post-3-1183525686_thumb.jpg

As you can see, the car has fipped after going over the wall. Looking at the fence, and the steps visible in front of the RF tire, the car came to rest upside up in a walkway area to enter/exit the first section of grandstands on the front straightaway. Note track official, Curly Tennison standing in that walkway. Thankfully it was not the only path, and used mostly after the racing ended. We, as race fans, along with all involved were very lucky. As otherwise stated, this crash was caused by a part failure and loss of steering, not driver error.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...
  • 8 years later...

These pictures were taken at Meyer Speedway. This is MJ Burton's modified. MJ is Denny Burton's uncle. The man holding the trophy is Don Burton, Denny's dad.Top/1st Photo'62/'63 era, M J Burton and his daughter, Mary Ann.Next/2nd PhotoM J Burton, possibly results of a broken steering rod, outside turn 4 in '63. Second time over the wall for M J and this car. Repaired by excellent crew and raced again.3rd (From Top) PhotoExcellent crew, standing L to R, auto body expert and mechanic Thomas "Pop" Minor, expert mechanic and racecar owner/driver M J Burton, and bend it straight/straighten it bent expert Bob Steigel. Squating, expert racecar mechanic Don Burton and expert racecar/engine mechanic Bob "Hard Rice" Ashby. And standing on the other side of the car, showing between M J and Bob Stiegel is race fan Clyde Vermillion. Also, along with their duties on the # 5 Car crew, Don Burton and Pop Minor were also great race drivers. This # 5 Car was about as well built Modified Stock Car that ever raced and was copied several times. M J Burton won many races and was the '62 Houston Modified Champion in this car.4th/Bottom PhotoL to R, brothers Don Burton and M J Burton. Great racers, great people!

My Daddy was Bob Ashby (AKA Rough Rice - he was Uncle Ben's first rice buyer). He built MJ's cars and was known widely for his expertise. His teaming with MJ set many track records at both Playland and Meyer.

Archived