Racing Promotion Ideas

MCreacy

As I mentioned in a post on a different topic I believe we need to better promote the sport of small track racing. In the Corpus Christi area especially, with two football teams, two baseball teams, and one hockey team, there are numerous sport entertainment opportunities for a family on Saturday night but racing is still the least expensive. Any ideas, suggestions, recommendations, and/or discussions on how to better promote the sport? <_<

I suggested a few weeks ago that CC Speedway contact Jeb Onweiler. Did they ever do that? If not, they should. Then they wouldn't have to ask racers and fans how to promote the racetrack! The only way to turn the tide at CCS is to hire a professional manager with a proven track record. Asking us to promote the track is probably not the answer. Just my opinion. <_<

One of the problems with hiring a full-time professional track manager is the expense involved. I have no idea at the condition of the Yocum's bank account, but I would imagine that they have invested far more than they should have already.

I know, I know. It takes money to make money, and I'm pretty sure the Yocums would welcome the professional help. But economic realities have to come into play somewhere along the line...

Nick

I ATTEST TO THAT NICK .. I HAVE KNOWN THE YOCUMS FOR MANY A YEAR .I WATCHED THEM GET MARRIED AT THAT TRACK IN 1969 ..OVER THE LAST FEW YEARS DON SR HAS COME TO BAD HEALTH . AND WE HAVE GONE NICK TO NICK ON THINGS ..AND EVEN WITH THOSE FEW THINGS WE DISAGREED WITH .I HAVE A GREAT RESPECT FOR BOTH OF THEM ..INCLUDING DON JR ..AND I HAVE GONE OUT AND WORKED ON THAT TRACK MANY TIMES OVER THE LAST 30 YEARS ...THEY HAVE OVER THE MANY YEARS THEY HAVE OWNED THAT TRACK PUT TON.S OF MONEY INTO IT ..COULTLESS HOURS .SORE BONES . SLEEPLESS NIGHTS IM SURE .AND RAN IT WELL WITH THE THREE THEM EVENTHOW I SOMETIMES WONDERD HOW LONG THEY WOULD DO IT OR STAY OPEN IN TOUGH TIMES . DO THEY NEED A PROFESSIONAL PROMOTER . WHO KNOWS .ONLY THEY CAN SAY THAT .. WHEN THE OTHER PROMOTORS MOVED TO ANOTHER TRACK AND THEY COULD NOT OPEN LAST YEAR FOR LEGAL REASON AND SUCH ..THE TRACK HAS BEEN ALITTLE BEHIND WITH CAR COUNTS AND SUCH ..BUT THEY ARE STARTING TO SEE SOME LIGHT ..THEY ARE GOOD PROMOTORS .THEY HAVE HAD SUCSESS AND WILL AGAIN ..IM DOING MY PART AND TRYING TO GET THE CARS WE HAVE BACK UP AND RUNNING ..AND TALKING TO NEW FANS ..... NOW NOT BEING A SMART A$$ .BUT IF THIS GUY IS SO GOOD THEN WHY IS HE LOOKING FOR A NEW TRACK ..ADDED HE MAYBE GOOD .AND ALL REAL GOOD TRACK PROMOTORS SHOULD IN ONE WAY OR ANOTHER ASK THIER DRIVERS AND FANS WHAT THEY WOULD LIKE TO SEE . IF YOU DONT ASK THEN YOU ARE SURE TO FELL .IN THE LONG RUN .EVEN NASCAR ASK .... I FEEL WHAT THE DRIVERS ARE DOING TAKEING THIER CARS OUT AND WORKING ON GETING MORE BUTTS IN THE STANDS . SHOWS THEY CARE ABOULT THIER TRACK OF CHOICE .. AND WITH THE TRACK ASKING FOR IMPUT .THAT SHOWS THE TRACK IS INTERESTED IN WHAT DRIVERS AND FANS WANT ..AND I SURE AS HECK DONT SEE A PROBLEM WITH IT ..

Get others involved.Make a track,road race style for Quads.It only takes some dirt work.Add Karts,they are always looking for a place to race,maybe a motorcross track as well.Make a mud pit in the center for mud drags.Invite the Gypsie (mispelled I know)motorcycle club to use CC as a place to end a poker run.They love to party.In fact have a CC Speedway poker lime run ending at CC Speedway on a Sat nite.Add a motorcycle burn out contest.Get some live music for goodness sake and not that deathly tear jearky stuff.If you must go country,make it rockabilly.Throw together a kiddy playground with a few swings,a sand box and a few tires to climb on.Have a beauty contest for both male and female contestents.They attract each other.Sell beer cheap.Have a car show during the race evening.Get some track clowns,real clowns to give away candy and trinkets.Get some stand up comics to perform at half time.Get a cute trophy queen.Ask some celibritaty to guest co host the announcer booth.Have some stunt driving.Get out and find out what other groops like bikers,karters quad riders musicians,kids,teens Scouts,and dont forget the Navel Air Base guys want to have on a Sat nite to just have fun.A handfull of guys running around in circles just will not be enough but theres plenty of people with different adgendas who would be very happy to have an outdoor sports arena to enjoy on Sat nite.Varity is the key,new blood is the answer.If any bikers are reading this,contact Mike and tell him what you want to show up in colors.RGS had over 20 quads regulary until they hurt one by not making the track slow enough with turns.Just think outside the box (track) at what would make people have fun.Also race too.Think carnival atmosphere.You got the lites,consessions and facilities to host a croud.Just give them something to do.It doesnt take a ton of money but it will take effort.Contact as many clubs as possible and get their imput.Most will be happy to get involved.

As I mentioned in a post on a different topic I believe we need to better promote the sport of small track racing. In the Corpus Christi area especially, with two football teams, two baseball teams, and one hockey team, there are numerous sport entertainment opportunities for a family on Saturday night but racing is still the least expensive. Any ideas, suggestions, recommendations, and/or discussions on how to better promote the sport? <_<

I wanted to create a small truck series,, I think that would be cool.... There is alot of ways to get people there... for one ,, bigger purses,, fan apprecations night.. alot of stuff

Shelma

I wanted to creat a small truck series,, I think that would be cool.... There is alot of ways to get people there... for one ,, bigger purses,, fan apprecations night.. alot of stuff

Shelma

THAT WAS TRIED AND YOU COULD NOT GET ENOUGH TRUCKS BUILT .NOONE WOULD GIVE UP A TRUCK AND THE JUNK YARDS WANTED TO MUCH FOR THEM ..WE HAD TWO TRUCKS BUILT DOWN HERE THAT RAN FOR YEARS AND ONE IS STILL AROUND .BOTH ARE VW .S.. A COUPLE OF US WANTED TO BUILD FORDS CUZ WE HAD THE MOTOR PARTS FOR THEM BUT COULD NEVER FIND ONE TO BUILD .

BLINDFOLD RACES WITH A FAN BEING YOUR EYES THAT WOULD BE FUNNY . DOUBLE SCARE FOR THE FAN .AND SOME OF THE DRIVERS OUT THERE ARE BLIND ANYWAY BTW THEY DRIVE ..DEMO FOOTBALL ..BUT REALLY A PLAY GROUND WILL MAKE A DIFFERENTS ......ALOT OF WHAT GB SAID WOULD HELP .BIKE RIDES AND SUCH CAR SHOWS DUREING THE DAY .GET POEPLE TO THE TRACK DUREING THE DAY AND KEEP THEM FOR THE NIGHT .HAVE BBQ ANYTHING THAT WILL GET THEM TO THE TRACK ..

old timer better reboot your memeroy 3 trucks were built and that third truck is also still around

FLAG I DONT REMEMBER THE OTHER TRUCK EVER MAKEING IT TO THE TRACK ..GARY HUGHS STARTED A TRUCK AND SOLD IT ..I THINK PAPPY ENDED UP WITH ONE ..ALL THE TRUCKS I REMEMBER WERE FWD ....RICK RUSSEL HAS THE ONLY ONE THAT STILL RUNS

old people man and their bad memory what about the s-10 that came down for a couple of races.Dont know were he was from but he never come back after hitting the wall coming out of 4.The number on the truck i believe was 3.

OK FLAG JR ...IF YOU WANT TO LIVE ASLONG AS YOU WANT TO //WATCH THE OLD MEN JOKES YOU HAVE NOT LIVED LONG ENOUGH TO BE GOOD AT IT .....OLD PEOPLE MEMORYS WORK GREAT WHEN YOU NEED TO KNOW SOMETHING ,, AND YOUR DAD CAN STILL FIND THE RACE TRACK SO THAT CANT BE BAD ..THE ONLY THING HE WANTS TO FORGET IS YOUR HIS SON .LOL .... NOW AS FOR THAT TRUCK OUT OF TOWN ...I DONT KNOW ABOULT THAT ONE .....YOU HAVE ME ON THAT ..AND I DO REMEMBER GARYS WAS A RAMPAGE .BUT THAT WAS JUST THE NAME OF IT ..IT HAD A VW MOTOR IN IT WHEN HE BOUGHT IT AND LET JAMES LEE TALK HIM INTO BUILDING A DODGE 2.2 FOR IT ..SO THE TRUCK WAS A VW IN DISGUISE .... ..NOW HOW WAS THAT FOR MEMORY . AND JR OLD MENS MEMORYS ARE REALLY GOOD WHEN WE REMEMBER ANYTHING AT ALL ..

Thats not true mike every day my dad ask me were he left a tool or if this is in his truck or somethin like that and everytime i ask u or him about something that has happen in the past its always i dont remember.

..."i don't remember" is code for I'll tell you when your older, or I'll tell you when your mother ain't around. :lol:

kids go gart races most of the drivers already have one for the kids let them have fun at halftime.

also do more drawings for free tickets to the next week or a coke and popcorn.

get the drifter cars to put on a show.

as far as the push carts have a lowes and home depot painted ones the get the crowd into their favorite and vote on best in show.

also have all cars on track and let the drivers have a best in show with the fans voting.

lower the music noise so we can hear without yelling at each other in the stands

Thats not true mike every day my dad ask me were he left a tool or if this is in his truck or somethin like that and everytime i ask u or him about something that has happen in the past its always i dont remember.

NOW YOUNG MAN . THE TOOLS YOUR DAD ASK FOR ARE THE ONE.S YOU HIDE FROM HIM TO GET ATTENTION ..... :D ..... AND HIM AND I REMIMBER EVERYTHING .BUT WE DONT WANT TO ANSWER THOSE QUESTIONS FOR SOME YOU WONT UNDERSTAND AND TO ADD TO THAT ..WE WILL NEVER STOP HEARING THE WHY/ WHY /WHAT /WHAT / ..... ................ OLDRACER YOUR NOT LIKE OLDTIMER YOUR IDEAL OF BEST OF SHOW FOR THOSE WOODEN CARS IS A GOOD ONE .. HAND OUT A PRIZE OR TROPHIE FOR THE FIRST SECOND AND THIRD PLACE .. GET THE NEWS PAPER TO ANNOUNCE IT IN THE SPORTS .. ... ITS ENDLESS IN THAT CATAGORY .... NEED TOGET THE FAMILY.S MORE INVOLVED ... HAVE A BASEBALL TEAMS NIGHT AND SO FORTH ..ONE OTHER THING IF THE SPEEDWAY WILL PRINT OUT SOME FLYERS OR SOMETHING GET THE PAPPER TO ADD THE INFO ON THOSE CARS JUST MAY DO THE TRICK ..AND I NEED SOME FOR WORK ..TO HAND OUT .. HAS ANY ONE FIGURED OUT WHAT THE COST TO BUILD ONE IS ..AND SEE IF A SPONSOR WILL COME ON BOARD TO DONATE THE WHEELS AND SUCH ...

Archived