just some old photos

Nathan

some have names on the back of the pics so i will try to make a list of the ones i have maybe some of the guys on here with the best knowledge and memory of drivers can help.

Yeah, I'm with Oatey, some very serious flashbacks.

Some miscellaneous comments -

It was nice to see Teddy Jone's convertible (#66), I was wondering if it would ever show up on this forum.

A few of those pictures are earlier than the rest, as they show the tires the Super Stocks were running before the "Indy" or "Steamroller" tires appeared in about '71.

I had completely forgotten about the through-the-hood header stacks.

Some drivers:

#1 - Buddy Jerkins

#02 - Leroy Brooks

#20 - Fred Elbel Jr.

#22 - Fred Elbel Sr.

#37 - Ed Siegmund - The holes in the hood reminded me!

#42 - Buddy Woodall?

#54 - Don Oatman.

#55 - Bubba Storbeck (I don't remember him ever running a Ford, but here is evidence)

#56 - Hubert Bean (Bean Bandit)

#67 - Ed Szeck - later to go to bigger things

#88 - Ronnie Groff (the car doesn't look familiar, maybe he was just a sponsor)

If I get time I may try to add more.

Edited by Bobby

Great pics! What a treasure trove..

BUT ... since this multi-megabite thread is crashing a few machines (mostly our loyal dial up users), I am going to try to break out each pic and then post them a few at a time sometime soon (depends on when I find the time to get this done).

SO ... if you want to download these pics as they are posted now, please do so in the next day or two.

Thanks

Nick

Bobby just about any picture of a 42 will be of buddy woodall. that is my grandfather and most of the picts i have is of him. thanks Nick the scanner I have will only scan at a size of 8.5" by 11" and bigger.

Edited by Nathan

How about a real test.....on the pic of all the drivers standing together....can you spot any familiar faces? Or any guesses.

The one I spotted was about 3-4 rows directly back of the trophy girls left shoulder.....the Bean Bandit in a white tshirt.

Is that Bill Lay in the Engle tshirt and white pants on the front row?

Anybody that posts here in that pic??

Great post. Lots of memories.

Billy

Bubba Storbeck is the first person behind Darlene.

Oatey's Dad, Don Oatman is a couple of faces to the left, peeking around someones shoulder.

The person in glasses one row back and to the left from Don looks familar, but I'm not sure of the name.

Edited by Bobby

Bobby I thought the #88 was Ronnie Groffs Brother, Walter. The #24 is Robert Spider Wilson, I think #33 is Joe Schafer, Bubba did run a ford, but I think he changed because you couldnt run BOSS heads. The following are guesses #57 is Ernie Schomer(sp), #97 is Walley garcia I think the #10 is willie charro, #93 Pat Chandler, #26 Richard Gather, #75 Larry Strom, #28 Cecil Langford, #21 Tommy Davis, #43- Sonny Schimcheck (sp), #14 ??? Bud Simpson, #71 Howard Woller

Edited by oatey220

#97 is Walley garcia

#10 is willie charro,

#93 Pat Chandler,

#26 Richard Gather

#21 Tommy Davis

I agree on these (just needed a little memory prompt!)

You are probably correct on Walter Groff. I knew it didn't look like Ronnie, but I didn't know of any other possibility.

Edited by Bobby

A few comments on the picture gallery from Pan American Speedway.

The shots appear to have been taken late in the season due to the crash damage on several cars. It was probably the 1970 season.

The Pace Car was a new 1970 Chevelle SS sponsored by a Chevrolet Company in New Braunfels. That's me, the pace car driver, standing beside the Pace Car during driver introductions before an 18 car Super Stock feature race. I know because I bought that Chevelle for my wife Terry after the season was over. It was a good solid car. I wish we still owned it.

#67 is, in fact, Ed Sczech (correct spelling). That car wound up with Ed and me driving it in several road course races in Mexico. We won the Monterrey 500 in #67. Ed won a Texas Race of Champions event at Texas World Speedway. It had a new body for all those road races.

Check out the hair-do on the PAS Trophy Queen. Anybody know her name?

Thank you for posting - Neil Upchurch

Edited by NeilTPS

Darlene Rhemur, if I remember correctly. It was pronounced "Ray-mur"

If anyone is interested, I still have some authentic 90W rear end lube from this era. You would have to get it out of my old, old work clothes, but I still have it with me. :P

It was in my hair too, although not deliberately. I finally got that out.....

Edited by Bobby

Thanks for posting these photos! They are bringing back some great memories. I am in SA n ow, and was just speaking with the Elbels and all of their racing photos disappeared after Wanda Elbel's death earlier this year, and they will be quite pleased to see the two here.

One correction - that is actually Fred Elbel, Sr. in the #20. He did sell the car to Jr., but it was well worn by that point.

Great pics brings back a lot of memories. #7 [on road from pits Clarence Lovell] #14 Bud Simson #66 Ted Jones[conv.] #92 [the car i worked on]Gerry Geromiller #37 Ed Sigmond #42 Buddy Woodall #90 James Crawford #02 Leroy Brooks #88 ? Groff #55 Bubba Storbeck #91 Frank Farris ?? #62 [owened by Glen Castleberry?] #9 Glen Swabe [car#and spelling] or Jake Wallace

Edited by bullcat

• 2 months later...