Couple old TEXAS Funny Cars from the 70's

Josh42

1. Gordon Mineo (swims with the fishes)

2. Larry Reep

3. Berg?

4. Don Sosenka (sp?

5. John and Cogo Eads...had a 68 MustangFC before this...might be a used PC and LH car from La?

6. ex X? Valdez?

7. Cecil Lankford and I forget Seins name...David?

8. Jim Mott?

are you guys keeping up with the Jungle Jim and Mexiczn Revoultion restorations going on down in SA?

Jay

...also can any one but Tommy33 tell me what kind of car The Lone Star Longneck is grilled up to represent?

Some cool pictures there,

The Grim Reeper has gotta be Larry Reep of Austin. What, no purple?

The Texas Yankee is Chris Berg who ran out of right here in Schertz. Had a shop called True Performance on Hwy 78 right in the middle of old Schertz in a building that has been a grocery, a Ford Dealership, an old time drug store, and is now called Merlin Performamce.

The story on Berg is he went to the Bahamas to teach scuba diving. There are some guys still around here who would like to know their last paycheck went when they went to work and it was boarded up. Oh, and a message that the IRS would like to talk to him.

Mr McGoo is probably Don Sosenka from Spring Branch.

The Mexican Revolution is Johnny Valadez from San Antonio, with the car he got from Cecil Lankford. Shown here in the Vega body, that means it is after Don Hardy rebuilt it after a fire.

This car is owned by Henry Gutierres in Schertz, and is currently being restored. I think Ken Lund is doing the body, the same guy who did the Jungle Camaro for Gutierres that has been at SAR a couple times.

The Brand X is Cecil Lankford, old San Antonio racers know this name.

He was the previous owner of the Valadez car.

The Lonestar car was bought by the Martinez brothers, I think Ken Mott drove it originally.

When it was owned by the Martinez brothers, Buddy Cortines drove it, as well as another guy whose name I can't remember.

The other two cars I have seen beforem, but I do not recall who they are.

...also can any one but Tommy33 tell me what kind of car The Lone Star Longneck is grilled up to represent?

Pontiac Astre?

but that revolution is an early 70's split bumper camero ( wow I actually won one !)

Just looked at it again, and you are right.

When Valadez got it from Lankford, it was this Camaro with Chevy power. It was seriously hurt in a race, and rebuilt by Don Hardy. When Hardy did the work, it became a Vega with a Hemi.

Neat old pics, Maybe Josh has more.

Jay,

The Jungle Camaro restoration has been done since early this year, and has been shown a couple times.

A beautiful job; at the IHRA National meet at SAR a couple months ago, and they fired it up. You could see J.E. Kristek with his hands in the motor while Bobby Rex handled the seating shores.

The Mexican Revolution car, as I understand it, is currently getting paint, I don't know about the chassis. I think Hubbell is handling that.

• 2 years later...

post-12167-1272943085.jpgpost-12167-1272943085.jpg

Can you figure out who these are?

The Lone Star Car was purchased by the guys that owned Alamo Dragway but who drove it before they bought it?

The car in this picture was a Candie and Hughes car built by Don Hardy, Thy dint like it and me and my Dad bought it and moved the engine toward the front and the car drove great. At Tulsa Oklahoma car burnt in a big fire, Was on front page of alot of Magazine. We had a Mustang built by Hardy before this car and one after. Great times and had a lot fun racing.

The car in this picture was a Candie and Hughes car built by Don Hardy, Thy dint like it and me and my Dad bought it and moved the engine toward the front and the car drove great. At Tulsa Oklahoma car burnt in a big fire, Was on front page of alot of Magazine. We had a Mustang built by Hardy before this car and one after. Great times and had a lot fun racing.

Are you cogo eads? I've seen the 68 style mustang run at GVR many times.

jay

• 1 year later...

I sure remember the Texas Yankee Funny Car, That was Chris Berg, and Davis Barton was one of his mechanics, I worked for Chris for a short while....... True Performance was a great shop.... what a shame things went the way they did..... Had several good friends there... Kenny Johns, Davis Barton, Tom G.

post-3-1321539762.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
I sure remember the Texas Yankee Funny Car, That was Chris Berg, and Davis Barton was one of his mechanics, I worked for Chris for a short while....... True Performance was a great shop.... what a shame things went the way they did..... Had several good friends there... Kenny Johns, Davis Barton, Tom G.

Who can name these guys? I now own the shop that Cecil had for soo many years, I have heard of all the racing history that came out of this shop but would love to know more and see some pictures, kinda cool that this place still has race cars in it now it's circle track cars. I wish Cecil was still around to tell me some stories.

Kenny Johns is second from the right; He has lived down the street from my parents for 30 years or more; is fixing to retire from the repair business at Gunn Chevy in Live Oak. Is building a real nice street rod, and his brotheris still a fixture in drag racing.

That looks like Berg third from left, but it's been so long since anyone saw him......but that is another story.

True performance, while long gone, is now Merlin Automotive. That building has been a Ford Dealership waaaay back, grocery store, and, when I moved to Schertz in '73, a drug store complete with a soda fountain, The type where they mixed them.

Archived