Charlie and Rayce Koen

NickHolt

I was eating at Rudy's in Leon Springs about 6 years ago, and Rayce walked in. He was living near Dallas and driving a car hauler truck. At that time, he had a dirt modified he raced occasionally. He said Charlie was living in Whitney, Texas. We talked for about 30 minutes, mostly about old racers and stuff.

Have not seen Rayce's name in any results since.

Charlie would be pushing 70 by now, have not talked to anyone who has heard from him lately.

I'd think if anyone around these parts has heard anything about Charlie, it would be Ron Chambers or Leroy Farmer.

I saw Rayce in Abilene either for the Icebreaker(Feb 2006) or Southern Challenge(Oct 2005). He was still driving a car hauler at that time and not able to race very much or any at all. He used to be on whowon.com, that's where I knew him from, but I've forgotten his screen name there. If you're at a track around the D/FW area, just look for the car hauler in the parkinglot and he'll be there somewhere. LOL Never met his dad.

• 2 years later...

Tell Charlie to do it; we just had a racer return to racing in San Marcos after a few years out of the seat--Junior Medlock, who is a young 79 years.

And if anyone on here remembers Cowboy Gonzales and his white #01 cars at Pan American, he is looking for a car to borrow for one last run; and I think Cowboy is at least early 70's.

I certainly remember Cowboy. Where is he wanting to run?

Not sure, but I think he wants to just run a few laps somewhere, and call it quits.

I heard this from Gilbert and John Salazar, maybe John can get on here and espound some more.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Rayce was a fun guy and drove very hard, like he would never get to drive again. He was not too healthy back in 05/06 when I last spoke with him and he loved to talk till the phone battery would run down. Man this news makes me sad. What happened to him?

• 3 years later...
What's up with this father-son team these days?

Nick

As many of you know Rayce did pass away several years ago, and also last month we buried Charlie's other son Steve. Charlie also buried a grand daughter and his significant other this last last year. He's tough but it's been hard on him. Charlie and I will be at the last race at SAS next weekend and we are even looking maybe to race again together. He is now 76 and I am 60, but who's counting, haha! See y'all next weekend. Trying to get Le Roy Farmer to come too!

Archived