What's up with CAMcoupes

Lucky161

I am new here and have posted some on the pavement forum, but I love dirt too. I was wondering if anyone could tell me what is happening or what happened to CAMcoupes? I thought that was a good idea, but their website has been down for quite a while now.

I'm not sure what happened to them, But I bought one of there cars this past winter with plans to turn it into a unique street rod. But after getting the car home I relized it is way more of a race car than I had thought. So right now its just sitting in my shop dreaming of being out there on the track.

I got it for a real good price. All it needs is a motor, wheels and tires.

Looking at buying one?

Unfortunately, finances keep me out of the purchase market at this time. But I was curious if this might be a viable class for the new paved track in Lewisville.

From what I see one of the biggest problems in starting a class like this up is going to be bodies.

The two suppliers for the cam coupse have went out of buisness. or atleast apears to be that way because I can find anything about them on the net or other places.

From what I see one of the biggest problems in starting a class like this up is going to be bodies.

The two suppliers for the cam coupse have went out of buisness. or atleast apears to be that way because I can find anything about them on the net or other places.

http://rcvr.proboards23.com/index.cgi?board=ron

This is a website for Ron Coons in Iowa. He seems to be the expert on CAMcoupes. But even there, not much info.

Actually I had wondered why those chassis couldn't be configured into some sort of limited late model or something other than old coupes.

The chassis are modified chassis. some are full blown modifieds and some are built more like sport mods.

the one I have is buile like a modified with the exception of it having two seats.

To me personaly the whole appeal of them were the old vitage bodies.

I would like to see a vintage touring class form. with the purpose of the class being to put on a show and have fun. could you Imagine a class of cars consiting of old modified pintos, vegas, falcon, and coupes and the like running out on the track putting on a show. It would be like a time warp back to the good old days.

The supercoupes were more like a modified,from what I remember the cams coupes ran a 305 v8 and the frame was more like a limited mod., which I think ruled out their class with their popularity.

I heard a little about this. Did the supercoupes remain or are they gone too?

The chassis are modified chassis. some are full blown modifieds and some are built more like sport mods.

the one I have is buile like a modified with the exception of it having two seats.

To me personaly the whole appeal of them were the old vitage bodies.

I would like to see a vintage touring class form. with the purpose of the class being to put on a show and have fun. could you Imagine a class of cars consiting of old modified pintos, vegas, falcon, and coupes and the like running out on the track putting on a show. It would be like a time warp back to the good old days.

I see that too and would love it. But I don't see at least from my vantage point why this concept couldn't carry over to other classes too. And I'd love to see an affordable fun class of what I'll call Classic Late Models (since there isn't one yet, I get to name it) that would included older Camaros, Firebirds, Novas, Mustangs, Chevelles, Monte Carlos and maybe even some 55-57 Chevys.

Does anyone remember specs on the CAMcoupes. I should have saved some of those pages from before, but I didn't realize they would hit hard times and disappear.

My memory says they weighed around 2200 lbs. Does that sound right? That 305 is a pretty anemic engine, but 2200 lbs doesn't need a lot of motivation either.

Are you looking at trying to get some sort of class like this going? If so look at the motor rules for the IMCA sport mods. They are a pretty low buget type motor.

In my imagination unless I hit the lottery. But as I stated in my introduction to this site, I am into the lowest costs within reason for maximum participation.

I don't mean this as a put down, more of an explanation. I read the race results for a recent race in Wichita Falls. They had 27 cars in 4 classes. Basically that's 6 per class. I've seen worse, but that is pretty anemic. In their defense, I read their rules and they are pretty restrictive on costly stuff yet open to inclusion. That's about all they can do from a rules point of view, I am afraid.

I've been to that track before and it's actually the closest track to me, but it's still 100 miles and with $3 gas, I just can't justify the trip for those kind of fields. I remember when Odessa, Lubbock, Abilene and Amarillo all had viable paved tracks. Now it's just Altus and Wichita Falls left on the Northern front. Sad, but I am hopeful that the track in Lewisville gets built and hopefully the WF track will flourish too.

And I have read the sportmod rules and that would be a good idea to follow too on engines.

I guess my main attraction to the CAMcoupes other than the fact that they just looked cool was they were selling them for $3000, just add engine and trans.

I paid just a bit more for mine but it all it needs is a motor, and it came with an extra body.

Did they tell you how much the bodies sold for regularly. This could be a moot point since I've heard the company that was making them went out of business. But I am not sure about that.

nice. I know of a guy that builds these old super copies for the street, but they aren't in my budget.

I am pretty sure he is in CA. I don't see him post a lot lately, but I think one of my friends on another board knows how to get in touch with him. I'll check and see.

the guy that started the cam coupe cars lived in richwood tex , his name is bob mangel , i watched the first car being built he had a big dream of making this class go all over the US, it was supposed to be a cheap race car with the 305 motor. they started racing them in alvin at texas thunder speedway that didnt work out to well bob wanted so much for each car not everone who bought one wanted to race there so they started touring the other tracks around the houston area ,someone else took over leadership cause bob moved to olkahoma and from there as far as i know the class fell apart ,my buddy has one i think the fith car built, sitting in his shop collecting dust he says he is going to make it street legal. i seen one a while back on ebay that was street legal was a two seater. i think his brother is still building them up north .im sure there are quite a few of them sitting in the weeds and shops

the guy that started the cam coupe cars lived in richwood tex , his name is bob mangel , i watched the first car being built he had a big dream of making this class go all over the US, it was supposed to be a cheap race car with the 305 motor. they started racing them in alvin at texas thunder speedway that didnt work out to well bob wanted so much for each car not everone who bought one wanted to race there so they started touring the other tracks around the houston area ,someone else took over leadership cause bob moved to olkahoma and from there as far as i know the class fell apart ,my buddy has one i think the fith car built, sitting in his shop collecting dust he says he is going to make it street legal. i seen one a while back on ebay that was street legal was a two seater. i think his brother is still building them up north .im sure there are quite a few of them sitting in the weeds and shops

From the pics I have seen I think I have one of his cars also. It is also a 2 seater and from what I have seen of pics the way the cage is built it looks the same.

i does kinda look like his cars except for the hood his all that i seen had like a limited front but someone could have changed the hood i will try in the next couple of days get a picture of my buddys car he has his all apart also

Archived