head banger

HiTech

WORKED ALL DAY SATERDAY ON THE 84 TPS CAR .CHANGED HEAD CARB DISTRIBUTOR ..AND WHAT NOTS ...SO HERE .S THE PROBLEM ..FIRE THAT LITTLE MONSTER UP .AND RAN GOOD FOR JUST A FEW SECONDS .AND STARTED BACK FIREING AND JUST WENT TO HECK ..THOUGHT THE SHEER PIN LET GO ON THE DISTRIBUTOR DRIVE .BUT NO PROBLEM THERE ..ACTED LIKE IT WAS RETARDING ..THE PROBLEM WAS THIS ..IT KEPT LOSING FIRE TO NUMBER ONE AND TWO AND THREE CYLINDERS BUT NOT FOUR .. NOT IN THE SAME SEQUINCE EVERY TIME ..IT ONLY HAS FOUR CYLINDERS TO BEGIN WITH .. IVE NEVER SEEN THIS BEFORE .I PULLED A PLUG WIRE AND ADDED A PLUG TO IT TO CHECK THE FIRE WHILE RUNNING AND IT WOULD FIRE GOOD THEN FADE TO NOTHING ..SO ONLY NUMBER FOUR KEPT FIREING .. ..... THIS IS WHAT WE DID .....

................................................................................

CHANGED ..DISTRBUTORS ... CLEANED THE POINTS ... CHANGED CAP. NEW ROTOR .... REWIRED IGN WIREING EVEN TRIED A NEW GROUND TO DISTRIBUTOR . CHANGED COILS ..BY PASSED MSD BOX ...... PLUGS .... . IGN .CONDENSOR ..JUMP THE DISTRIBOR STRIEGHT TO THE BATTERY TO MAKE SURE WE DID NOT HAVE A BAD TOGGLE SWITCH ..AND SO MANY OTHER THINGS ..AND STILL NO LUCK .. THIS PROBLEM STARTED WITH A STOCK DISTRIBUTOR IN IT ..SO ITS SOME WHERE ELSE I SUPPOSE ..THE ONLY THING WE DID NOT CHANGE IS THE BATTERY ..OPTIMUS .. NOT SURE HOW OLD IT IS .... KINDA WONDERING IF IT JUST CANT HOLD ENOUGH AMPS TO RUN THE IGN AND FUEL PUMP AT THE SAME TIME ..DIDNT TRY THAT ONE .. ..HAD THAT PROBLEM WITH ELECTONIC IGN ..BUT NEVER POINTS ..AND NEVER FOUND THAT TO CAUSE IT TO LOoSE THREE OF FOUR CYLINDERS LIKE THAT ....SO ALL YOU MOTOR HEADS COME UP WITH SOMETHING ....THANKS ..

Take it to autozone for a free scan from one of their diagnostic geniuses.

i suppose you think your a real geniuse with that answer ..very well thought out ..i just may do that i forgot about that place .. or better yet give you a second chance at really comeing up with an ideal on what the problem maybe ..then you could look like the geniuse you think you are ..i know you are auto smart ..cant take that away . i thought your answer was funny .. now be an inteligent person i know you are and want others to think you are .and give me one of your really down to earth well thought out problem fixing answer.s ..lol ...... neon good try .... you.ve had the best answer so far ...but im sorry it wont fix the problem this car has now ..so please feel free to try again ...

It was meant to be funny. I don't have a clue or I would have said so.

Had to rattle your cage ..lol .. THIS IS ONE PROBLEM THAT HAS ME STUMPED ..BUT AS SOON AS I FIGURE IT OUT ..ILL LET YAH KNOW ..I THROUGH JUST ABOULT EVERYTHING I COULD THINK OF AT IT ..AND IT KICK MY BUTT ..WE WERE GOING TO RUN IT AT CC LASTNIGHT .

Said you changed distributors but thought I would throw this out anyhow. Is there any type of advance, eletrical vacuum or mechanical? Check the advance plate and make sure it is not loose or messed up.

Electronically controlled I wouldnt have a clue but if the advance only can be disconnected, try that.

Distributor bearings/bushings?

Probably no help at all but just a shot in the dark.

I know Mike's been rattling his brain on this one. I hope he or someone can figure this out. I don't get to race until it's fixed!!!!!!! Of course, I was no help!! Mike, I know you don't want to hear this one...but what if we completely rewire the car? Then we know exactly how it was put together. Probably not the answer, but it eliminates a few guesses on how the system was wired.

By the way, did Josh win?

What about the wires? You didnt mention those. Ive seen weird things happen due to the wires . What motor are you running? I wish I had a answer for you. I hate it when things like this happen to me. Its usually something simple but it will drive you crazy until you find the problem.

I'm certainly not an engine man.. not even close.. but have you checked where all the wires go through the firewall? We had a problem similar to yours a long time ago and finally saw the tell-tale burn marks on the firewall where a wire went through.

Also, have you considered that it could be simply the battery with a dead cell or two?

Nick

oldtimer, i was at the races this weekend racing , and was talking to one o the racers i race with and he said he was running bad and did changes like you did ,and it all came down to the battery. so i think i would put in another battery . plus i have seen when spark plug wires get hot they fade when hot or they just dont work as good as new . hope this will help you .

louis

thanks all you drivers none drivers ..i by passed the whole system except i used the power comeing from the main cable from the battery......... ..to power the distrbutor .............. and yes i thought it might have been that advance plate ...........so as price watched and helped with morrow support with jessies help we tore the distributor apart and found it to be stuck ............so we got all that to working properly ...........the shaft and all inside parts are fine ..so thanks for that imput ..now im with alot of you that said the battery ...........price can remimber i spoke of that later on after we had to give up ..........so i will try another one .......and if that dont work .. .....rewire the car .........nick i checked the fire comeing from his box and found it to be dead ........so i went around that with a new wire to the coil ......lol even my electrical brainster at work could not come up with something ........other than a bad distributor ......but the problem started with a stock dist ..........before we added this one ..........and it is points .......so not one of you have come up with a bad ideal ............some ive tried some i will ........im still open to anything and who knows ill go back and try some of the same things again ............. btw price ........typing is being charged to you also ..this is your nightmare that was forced on to me ..and you can have that dream back ..lol.... 20 years ago we had a miss in a motor and it drove us nuts ..but it didnt slow the car down ..and after we tore it down changed everything we could ..it came down to the battery ..and we found that by chance ..but it was a electronic system ..not points ..oh we changed the condensor .. .. price better know as eduk8er is going to owe everyone before to long ..and he.s only raced once on a round track ..he might have to go back to drag racen ..

I'm certainly not an engine man.. not even close.. but have you checked where all the wires go through the firewall? We had a problem similar to yours a long time ago and finally saw the tell-tale burn marks on the firewall where a wire went through.

Also, have you considered that it could be simply the battery with a dead cell or two?

Nick

GOOD CALL NICK, BUT DON'T RULE OUT A WEAK OR BAD GROUND..... IT WILL GET YOU EVERY TIME

Gary Chancellor had the same problem......... we went threw distributors and carbs and everything hell he even got a new car because of it but with the new car the miss was still there and was there even with new wiring new motor new everything the only thing we didnt change was battery and grounds he changed the battery 2 weeks ago and still had miss the only thing that fixed was when the 25 car hit him going into the turn it cleared up(sounds like a ground to me) so maybe you could try the same thing ............ get it running and have someone hit you going into the turn lol worth a shot

................................................................................

.. THATS FUNNY .. MAYBE SEEING IT ISNT MY CAR ..I MAY PUSH IT OUT ONTO THE FREE WAY AND SEE IF THAT HELPS AFTER A FRIEGHTLINER HITS IT ..SOMETHING GOT TO GIVE ..IM GOING TO DO SOME OF WHAT YOU HAVE SAID ..NEW BATTERY AND SUCH ..TODAY MAYBE ..

its an after market leftside car ..just like tps 66 purty much same set up //this car is all solid mounts motor trans and all ..i tried a new ground to the motor and that didnt help .... what has hit me aswell as the battery is the points plate has alittle rust on it ..that could be a problem seeing it has two little screws holding it down .may not be getting a good ground .. tomorrow i will have time to check and do what others have said ..wish me luck ..otherwise im going to sell this car for a dallor ..i think the price will be right .. what do you think price ..lol

I'll assume you are running a Holley so this is not quite applicable but I had a similar problem once while running a Weber, somehow the emulsion tubes got left out while setting up the carb. When we put it on the track it ran pretty bad and when we pulled plugs, it was two white, two black. I can't quite figure that one out but I guess it got into some kind of mode where it pulled big globs of fuel on one stroke and not much of anything on the other. It would start out running so so, then go real bad after wet fouling the two plugs.

I'll assume you are running a Holley so this is not quite applicable but I had a similar problem once while running a Weber, somehow the emulsion tubes got left out while setting up the carb. When we put it on the track it ran pretty bad and when we pulled plugs, it was two white, two black. I can't quite figure that one out but I guess it got into some kind of mode where it pulled big globs of fuel on one stroke and not much of anything on the other. It would start out running so so, then go real bad after wet fouling the two plugs.

yea i had that happen also ..but the prob is it starts and run for a few seconds and starts losing fire one plug at a time until only one plug is fireing ..i mean no spark at the plug . .i can holed a plug to the motor and watch it fade to no spark ..im going to work on it today and check some things ..

It might have been so long since you have worked on a race car that you may have forgot how to work on them.

thats it you maybe correct ..tinkerd with it today .and got it to run real good for a few minutes ..and then it lost number one only ..so im getting closer .. positive results .. two more cylinders closer to racen ..lol ..looks like a ground problem ..ran out of time to go any further ..

Mike, wish I could be there to help. sounds like you've been busy on that baby! I'm about ready to take the advice of some and hit it with something. Maybe Jesse can get the 7 running and we'll let him T-bone it. That might help!!!

Do you need anything from me? It's the last week of school and we've been quite busy. Hopefully, things will let up next week. Did you change the battery? If we need to rewire, let me know and I'll come down to do the crawling and cuttin'!

I'll hook up with you later. Looks like the weather is going to keep some of us from racing this weekend if the weatherman is right! Guess we'll see how things go.

By the way...please don't give it away or sell it just yet.

i wont give it away .dont want anyone mad at me for them haveing to deal with this contraption ..i would not wish this on anyone ..except .well i wont say ..lol //now if they stole it .thats another story .and why would i want to fix jessie.s car to hit yours ..to much work to be done as it is ....

Archived