TEXAS OPEN-WHEEL RACING

Budman

WELCOME,

I'VE STARTED THIS THREAD FOR THOSE OF US WHO HAVE A SPECIAL INTEREST IN OPEN-WHEEL RACING IN AND AROUND TEXAS. I ENCOURAGE ANYONE WITH SIMILAR INTERESTS TO COME ON HERE TO POST OR JUST LOOK AND READ IF YOU SO CHOOSE. LET'S TALK ABOUT OPEN-WHEEL RACING, MAYBE POST A FEW PHOTOS AND DISCUSS WHERE THE SPORT'S BEEN, THE STATE ITS IN NOW, AND MAYBE LOOK TO THE FUTURE AND WHERE IT GOES FROM HERE.

post-1274-1177470755_thumb.jpg

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Tex44,

Mr. St Cricq in the article above wouldn't happen to be a relative of yours, would he? :rolleyes:

Yeah Mini9r, I hated to see that they wouldn't be running this year. I was kinda looking forward to seeing them run at THR this season.

Budman,

Yep, he was my father. I've started going through the scrap books that my mom kept and decided that these pictures had been put away too long and it was time that they were shared.

Unforunatly some were lost in a flood about 10 years ago, but I still have alot left and I'am in the progress of trying to get access to another set of scrap books from the same era.

When we get through all of those then we'll get into the early seventies when we ran the midgets at San Antonio and Austin.

Then the late 70's early eighties at Big H along with other parts of the country.

But all of this is going to be a work in progress as it takes alot of time to do the scanning, touch up in photoshop (remember most of these are 65+ years old and need a little revitalization) and the cataloging. All this along with maintaining the current midget site.

Tex44

Marcel St. Cricq Racing, Dallas, Texas 1939-1940 era

post-3229-1177507302_thumb.jpg

http://www.racingfromthepast.com/texassuperslap1index9.html

this site has some cool pics from the past

I recognized some of those guys I watched as a teen, includng Ron Golden who ended up always being at the top in the NTRA circuit also.

I recognized the name Randy Willingham as a super mod driver. Is this the same gentleman from Rockport, who raced Late Models in the past few years?

I recognized the name Randy Willingham as a super mod driver. Is this the same gentleman from Rockport, who raced Late Models in the past few years?

The Randy Willingham on that site was an Amarillo legend. He raced abut anything that ever raced around Amarillo and Lubbock.

Here Ya Go TxTom,

I'll still watch when going thru my stuff and see if I run across anymore. If so you're sure welcome to them.

This picture is from the book "One Tough Circuit" by Bill Hill, probably the best midget reference book ever published for Texas,Okla and Mo.racing history.

post-3229-1177553670_thumb.jpg

Thanks, Tex!

This particular Midget belonged to Elton Chester of Dallas, Texas. My father went to Dallas Hillcrest for a couple years, and one of his classmates was Elton JR.

My father and grandfather spent many a Wednesday night at the 1/5 mile Dallas Fairgrounds track watching this car run with the legend Jud Larson driving it.

This is the first pic I have ever seen of it. My dad says the main color was Brown, and he thought the accents and numbers were bronze, although they look lighter in this shot.

Thanks again, Tex.

You're right 97car, those were drivers.

To fully understand this statement lets look at a little of the history about the midget racing of the 30's and 40's.

I guess the first thing to look at is the fact that they built their own cars in this time period, the driver was the fabricator and mechanic. I would say that probably 90% of these drivers raced full time for a living, running 5 & 6 nights a week at various tracks from Houston SpeedBowl all the way to Olympic Stadium in Kanas City. Most never won a track championship because they didn't align theirselves with any one track, they went where the money was. And people think the term "Outlaws" is new... LOL

Tough???. In those days altercations or as the politically correct say today "Racing accidents" were settled on the track or in the pits. I remember hearing of certain drivers that didn't take their helmet off till they left the race track!

One incident involved a car owner standing down in the turn motioning his driver to move down on the track to block a faster car, well 2 crewmen of the faster car went down to the turn and laid the car owner's nose over on one side of his face. I personally know this to be true cause I knew this car owner before he passed away, and yep, his nose was still layed over to one side!

More of these kind of little known facts another time...LOL

I grew up in Iowa and have one of Mel Kenyons first photos with Mel and His brother Don and Gus Shraeder, at the Mississippi Valley Fairgrounds in Davenport Iowa, in the early 60's, he lived 2 blocks from my grandmother and my grandfather bought Mel's first midget from him and ran at Hails Corner Wisonson.Damn thats a long time ago.

Tex44

I emailed the pic of the Chester Offy to my Dad--First thing he said when I stopped by his house today was 'Where the hell did you find that?"

He stated the numbers and lettering were bronze, the main color of the car was kind of metallic brown, and the nose scallop was bone or ivory color.

All for a car he has not seen for 50+ years. Thanks again for finding that.

And I mentioned the name Marcel St. Crieq, and he immediately remembered your Dad. He has an incredible memory for this stuff.

All I can say about that pic of Glaze and Cossey is WOW. I think that is hands down the best racing pic ever posted on this forum. There are not many pics out there that give an idea of where our racing evolved from like that one.

Archived