CC Racers

hotstock74

I will find a way but I honestly have 1000's of pics from Riverside and CC Speedway from 80's. Lots of pics of Lawrence, Jerry Edwards, Rick Rapp, Whitaker Sr. etc etc etc. My dad raced at both tracks alternating from year to year sometimes week to week. First time I put a helmet on was at Riverside when I was 13 my dad slipped me into several demo derbys. Actually won one of them but got dq'ed because my spare tire was still in trunk! After the death of Sonny Brown I remember going to a drivers meeting that Jerry Edwards put together. All the drivers came together and paid $100 each to register so they could reopen the track. It was a true dirt track by all means. City Dump on one side, City Septic just down the street and the creek on the back straightaway smelt like septic runoff. I saw and cheered for some of the best drivers I have ever seen before at that place. Jerry Aylor, Lawrence, Bruce Sanders, Jerry Edwards, Steve Whitaker, George England, Johnny Unitas, Leroy Brooks, many others including watching the Texas Super Sprinters which I got to race in many many years later.

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 months later...
I will find a way but I honestly have 1000's of pics from Riverside and CC Speedway from 80's. Lots of pics of Lawrence, Jerry Edwards, Rick Rapp, Whitaker Sr. etc etc etc. My dad raced at both tracks alternating from year to year sometimes week to week. First time I put a helmet on was at Riverside when I was 13 my dad slipped me into several demo derbys. Actually won one of them but got dq'ed because my spare tire was still in trunk! After the death of Sonny Brown I remember going to a drivers meeting that Jerry Edwards put together. All the drivers came together and paid $100 each to register so they could reopen the track. It was a true dirt track by all means. City Dump on one side, City Septic just down the street and the creek on the back straightaway smelt like septic runoff. I saw and cheered for some of the best drivers I have ever seen before at that place. Jerry Aylor, Lawrence, Bruce Sanders, Jerry Edwards, Steve Whitaker, George England, Johnny Unitas, Leroy Brooks, many others including watching the Texas Super Sprinters which I got to race in many many years later.

Were you able to get any of these uploaded??? I remember this track as a kid, and the cars that my dad worked on there for a few of his friends, had to have been mid to late 80's when they raced there. It was up until it finally shutdown (not sure what year that was.)

I got tons of pics from then but this summer and my business has gotten crazy. I have even had to back off of racing some due to no time to work on it hardly. But I promise with alittle extra time I will get some posted.

Fully understand that! Look forward to seeing em.

If you have any pictures of the outlaw ministocks from 85 or 86 I would really like to see them even if their in the background.We had a fierce battle between me,my brother,Rennie Orr,and a familiar name,Greg Spreen.Yes THE Greg Spreen.Great times,loved that Riverside track,not the river so much,almost fell in it one nite.Im looking at a picture right now of a sprint car that DID fall in,only the big rear tire is above water.Hence the name Riverside.

What year did Riverside close down officially? Just curious as I was still pretty young. Back then my Dad helped out with the cars for the Vannoy's out there, Dewayne and Freddy. Ran em there, and the at CC speedway when Riverside closed, and up in Goliad on occasion. I remember a black and yellow 84 car (would have been a bomber), and also a white cougar )think it was 13)..

The outlaw mini #12 is still around. Has not Met the crusher yet though it met a large oak treeback in 97. I will try and dig a few Picts out, but they are not of Riverside. At 85 speedway it was only about a second off the IMCA mods both on Dot tires.

CC Mini- Stocks 1994 4 Wide at the bullring This is Mid- season, note how nice all those cars still looked.

Is that little red bug who i think it is?...i can't quite make out the number

well dont see a pic ...but only one person with a little red car .... miss old sexy grandpa ....... the cars looked good back then cuz drivers then had respect for one another ..

I have a picture on my facebook of my outlaw and guess what! I still have it too.It also escaped the crusher but went through 2 floods and a hurricane.It could run again with an engine but the air cooled is too outdated.I also have the 4 cyl modified that has had several types of engines.Since this thread is about early Riverside and CC The wedge cars with sideboards were the car of the day.Even stock bodie cars adapted the sideboards.I would love to see them return.Lawerence M mastered the air.He used to tow his late model to the track with a rope because his shop was 2 blocks away. :lol:

Edited by thumper

i remember david horton driveing his street legal vw buggy out to there and rolled it one night in turn three and four ,and drove it home later that night ..funny ..we talked aboult that at cc not long ago //...i lost my hood comeing out of turn one ..think the pit crew forgot to put the pins on it .we ran over that hood lap after lap i ran over too .... after the race they brought it back to me ..not any damage other than tires marks and mud ..so i put it back on and pinned it ...that shows just how soft a track riverside was ... or muddy .........

Edited by HiTech

I think we still have those wheels and tires stacked up in the barn too.

dang man ..you a pac rat .........and that car did go over turn two wall ...rick rapp went over there and another driver ..low wall back then ..the next season frank and dick had my brother and i build it up alittle ..sorta crappy like but helped till don went back and fixed all the junky way they had us do it .including the railing we added to the front strieght wall ...glad thats all gone ......frank and dick didnt like to spend money to repair anything ........................... two other drivers who raced those cars back then ..doug mcbee and david evans ..doug is still around running that beach to bay run ..and sadly david passed away ..eric williams went north and lost track of where he is ..heard storys ..

Edited by HiTech

... two other drivers who raced those cars back then ..doug mcbee and david evans ..doug is still around running that beach to bay run ..and sadly david passed away ..eric williams went north and lost track of where he is ..heard storys ..

David Evans, is this the same David Evans that was into racign go carts in the mid 90's out in Odem?

CC Mini- Stocks 1994 4 Wide at the bullring This is Mid- season, note how nice all those cars still looked.

Is that little red bug who i think it is?...i can't quite make out the number

well dont see a pic ...but only one person with a little red car .... miss old sexy grandpa ....... the cars looked good back then cuz drivers then had respect for one another ..

For some reason when i quoted the post it wouldn't bring the pictures with it. I didn't think there was another lil red bug...Just made me stop and smile when i saw those pictures. I didn't get to see him race the bug but a few times and i was so young i hardly remember. The only time i really remember seeing him race is when he ran Tom Harwell's legacy at SAS. I have seen videos though and he was quite a driver.

I wonder where that ole bug is...

I assume you are talking about Larry Kraus. I can gladly say I raced with him and talked with him many times. What a great guy.

LARRY KRAUS ,, KNOWN AS THE OLDEST MAN RACEN AT CC THEN ALSO KNOWN AS THE SEXY GRANDPA .... GIRLS .AND LADYS COULD NOT STAY AWAY FROM HIM ... .. HARD AS HELL TO BEAT ..WHEN WE DID WE THOUGHT WE BEAT DALE SR ...IF EVER A BEST MAN AWARD IN RACEN WAS AWARDED ..HE HAD IT WON BY A MILE ...NEVER A MAD MOMENT I EVER SAW IN HIM ..........HE AND POPS CARPENTER CRT.S DAD WERE GREAT MEN .THEY BOTH OFFERED ALOT TO RACEN ...BOTH WERE CLEAN DRIVERS .. THEY BOTH GAVE RESPECT AND NEVER ASKED FOR IT BACK .AND I KNOW THEY ARE BOTH ALONG WITH DALE GINGRICH IF THATS HOW YOU SPELL HIS NAME .ARE GETTING IT ON IN HEAVEN ..

Edited by HiTech

• 1 month later...

Race_Meet_Won_by_Jimmie_Davis___July_5_1933_Zoom.pdf

Little Trivia what was the first race track in Corpus Christi, what was the suface and size?

The name of the track was either Ocean Beach Speedway or Ocean Drive Speedway. News articles had it both ways.

July 4, 1933 - See attached. Surface was dirt, and by the looks of pictures flat and slightly larger than 1/4 mile.

Race_Meet_Won_by_Jimmie_Davis___July_5_1933.pdf

Edited by Mike Riley

• 6 months later...

when can you post some of these pics of rick, slick, lawerence etc?